Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Scares That Turned Out To Be Nothing

Options

Comments

• francesca30
    francesca30 Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2020
    Options

@brittandherboobs I had the same scare when my T12 lit up last month during a petct scan. Did an MRI and it’s due to degenerative causes... most likely the Femara is causing it.

• scar1888
    scar1888 Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2021
    Options

How are you? I hate those 'scares.' We're already to March and can't believe it! I'm now mentoring five women now

and enjoying it.

I'd love to hear from you!

Linda

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,255
    edited March 2021
    Options

I've been on pins and needles for over a week. A routine CBC found serum protein elevated and red flagged a bunch of other labs...MGUS. Tomorrow, I go in for a bone marrow MRI and am terrified. Onco said, "I don't expect to find anything...." famous last words by my doctors. Everything I was told about my breast cancer was incorrect, so I am convinced they'll find some blood cancer, or mets or who knows. I've gone to the ugly place for over a week.

MGUS is a pre-cancer or benign paraprotein elevation...it can hang out like this for years, disappear or turn into myeloma or who knows....like worrying about breast cancer isn't enough.

I'll be 14 years out, starting year 15 in April. Never had cancer markers or scans so I shudder to think what they'll unearth tomorrow. I'll post back with updates.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited March 2021
    Options

wallycat, I've been going through my own scares - and scans - lately so I know exactly how you feel.

Good luck with the MRI tomorrow, and fingers crossed that the results show nothing of concern!

• wallycat
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks Beesie. I appreciate your post. I hope all your stuff turns out OK.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited March 2021
    Options

Wallycat, last year my blood test showed hypercalcemia, and 6 months later was back to normal. I bet I am not the only one whose blood test has been abnormal one time and back to normal another time. Yours too. Also, Mayo Clinic says that elevated protein serum has many benign reasons. Please let us know what MRI shows. I bet it is nothing serious. I had an MRI last week that checked my hip and also bone marrow that come back normal.

• wallycat
    edited March 2021
    Options

I do not have a PCP, so my onco orders my annual preventive crap. What's the saying...if all you have is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail...well, she ordered a bunch of tests right away and wants the mri as a baseline. I'm not sure which I prefer...knowing or not knowing and just dying from it. Sigh.

I hope not a bad omen....MRIs and I do not agree for some reason. Everything was going splendidly till he got to the last 10-12" of my femur. His machine could NOT scan me...he kept saying software glitch....yeah, right. Just like when I had the breast MRI in WI and WHILE they are doing the biopsy, the machine breaks and I'm laying there till the service guy gets there, with my boobs hanging out. Too scary. Bad omen. After 20-25 minutes of working on the legs, he gave up. Said if we have to redo it, we will. I figure if I'm riddled with cancer above the femur, 10" won't make much difference.

edited March 2021
    Options

Well that sounds like it was fun... NOT!! I'm glad for you that it's done.

Nothing like getting these "baseline" scans that aren't supposed to find anything... but then do. The simple fact is that once we hit a certain age, there's always going to be something to find. Imaging technology just isn't that good yet, so while some things can confidently be declared "likely benign" or "benign appearing", imaging also finds things that may be perfectly harmless but aren't seen clearly enough so they are considered "indeterminate". Those are the good findings; then there are the "suspicious" findings.

Wishing you results that are all clear or at worst, "benign appearing"!

• wallycat
    edited March 2021
    Options

Heart

• lillyishere
    edited March 2021
    Options

Wishing you all benign findings wallycat.

• grainne
    grainne Member Posts: 119
    edited March 2021
    Options

This just makes me look a complete dope but who cares??? We are lambing at the moment and I am helping out. I was desperately worried yesterday by a repeated stabbing pain in my left (cancer) breast. I had never had it before and it lasted all day.

I had a bath at the end of the day.......removed a large piece of straw from my bra.

Pain gone.

• wallycat
    edited March 2021
    Options

BENIGN!!! All normal.

Even the "incidental findings" noted are....grossly unremarkable (lungs, abdominal cavity and muscles)

I hope that means the femur is of no consequence...I emailed her to make sure.

So in May, I redo all the labs again and we'll just see what happens. If it is MGUS, this will be 6-12 month checking. But labs are easy except for waiting on the results, LOL.

• lillyishere
    edited March 2021
    Options

So happy to hear your news wallycat.

ᐈ Cheers pic stock pictures, Royalty Free clinking glasses photos | download on Depositphotos®

• humblepeace
    humblepeace Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2021
    Options

wallycat

That’s the best report!! I’m so happy for you!!

edited March 2021
    Options

wallycat, doing the happy dance for you! Congrats!!

• wallycat
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks ladies. I know this can turn any time it feels like it, but not today. Happy dance, INDEED!!!

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    edited March 2021
    Options

Great news WallyCat!!

• dutchiegirl
    dutchiegirl Member Posts: 76
    edited April 2021
    Options

I have had so many tests during and after treatment, it’s hard to count! I lost vision in my eyes and a brain scan was ordered. Negative. I had pain in my hip and a bone scan was ordered. Negative. Had issues with my lungs so I had multiple lung scans. I was scheduled for a biopsy of a suspicious mass in my lungs. I was lying on the bed, fully prepped for a biopsy. I had another CT lung scan and guess what? Yep, it was negative. So no biopsy. I just had a one year follow up lung scan and it was negative. I have developed “scanxiety” from all this but it seems to be part of the territory. I’m doing really well and enjoying post-treatment life!

• ampmusic14
    ampmusic14 Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2021
    Options

I feel like I'm having another scare but hoping it's nothing... I've been having a lot of pain and tenderness in my left armpit area and I'm just praying it's not my lymph nodes. I'm having a hard time telling... The left side was my cancer side too. I had clear margins and no node involvement after surgery, but I still get super scared of a reoccurrence. Hopefully what I'm feeling is nerves growing back or because I'm working out and have been back to work. The next doctor I see is plastics next week. Hopefully they can ease my mind.

• solarsister
    solarsister Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2021
    Options

I promised myself to write here if my latest scare turned out to be nothing, but I really really didn't think I would get the opportunity. Well, here I am and I'm trying to let it sink in. I read through this thread many times during the last couple of weeks, and it helped me a lot getting through. I hope my post can help someone too.

For four long nightmarish weeks I was almost convinced that this time, 9.5 years out, I would be the one diagnosed with mets. I've been dealing with health anxiety catastrophic thinking since I was a teenager. I don't know why but the fact that my mom got breast cancer, that I lost her too it, that I ten years after her death got breast cancer myself at 34 with a much worse prognosis and small children, let me just say it didn't help.

Somehow I'm still here, and I haven't had at recurrence and I don't have any mets according to my latest MRI. I have had many scares. The first years after diagnosis I had at least two nuclear bone scans, one liver ultrasound and now I had to have an MRI to rule out bone mets. Everytime I had symptoms, vague - shure, but also persistent pain that just wouldn't clear up.

I knew that my lower back pain, sciatica and aching piriformis + aching hip could be explained with too intense weight lifting and too much exercise too quickly, but with a history of very aggressive breast cancer there is just no way around finding out through scans if the pain persists. It's very scary and you have to be very brave. But it's not always cancer.

I got so much help from this forum, so much support. I'm forever thankful for that. Four weeks with intense anxiety is a long time, and I just had to keep myself together because I didn't want to worry my two now teenage sons. And this forum helped me with that. If you want to read through the dread and fear i had, here is the thread.

I might be back. Having had ER positive breast cancer I will never ever be out of the woods. But this time, for now, I am.

• littlecheese
    littlecheese Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2021
    Options

Had a CT scan today for another issue (that turned out fine), but of course they found something else. Report states, “8 mm low-density lesion with tiny soft tissue nodule in the right hepatic lobe. Consider dedicated liver imaging for further characterization.“

Anyone have a similar experience that wasn't liver mets?

Update: MRI this afternoon, have been a nervous wreck this past week. Broke down before the scan started. My radiology tech was amazing - calmed me down, showed me the scans and actually called me once the results were in...fatty spot! So relieved.

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    edited July 2021
    Options

littlecheese... so happy to hear your great news! You did a wonderful thing, sharing this with everyone. You no doubt will help ease the worries of many people with your story.

God bless you

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    edited July 2021
    Options

I feel bad saying I get worked up and anxious over benign findings when I should feel like, just STFU and get over yourself. You're fine, carry on. I had a benign biopsy in Jan. 2020, and next mammogram in Sept. came up a birads 3-short term follow up. Jan. 2021 had 1st MRI since biopsy and it also says birads 3-short term follow up. I did the mamm/us follow up in April and it was OK birads 2! Doing the follow up MRI in 2 weeks. I hope I get cleared.

• colt45
    edited July 2021
    Options

SolarSister... I am happy to hear your good news and pleased that this thread has provided some help in dealing with the unknown while waiting for results. Thank you for sharing your story. It will undoubtedly help others, just as you have been helped. Prayers to you for continued good health

• ana526
    ana526 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2021
    Options

I feel like I was reading forever to read something like this. My moms bone scan resulted in t11 that lit up and now we are waiting for MRI results. I am literally losing sleep over this. My moms breast cancer was 11 years ago. I’m so happy to see this post.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited September 2021
    Options

Every scare I've had so far has turned out to be nothing. But there is always a new one to take its place. One of the worst parts of that (aside from the actual possibility that something very bad is happening inside me) is that I used to be very healthy and sturdy, and I don't think I'll ever feel that way again for more than a few weeks or maybe months at a time.

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    edited October 2021
    Options

Mountain, so glad your last scare was nothing, but I totally understand.

The other day waking up in bed I felt a bump on my right breast side, jumped up to look at it. It was a little red bump on my skin right at the top of my scar, not very big, not painful at all, Within a couple of hours it was gone!! I know this happened once before because I felt this bump months ago, I just never bothered to look at it since it too was not there the next time I checked for it. What in the world could this be? A reaction to something?-like bee sting that swells but then goes down. Was it just sleeping on that side?

• pure0323
    pure0323 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2021
    Options

I love reading the all the good news! Thanks Col45 for this thread.

• colt45
    edited October 2021
    Options

Ana526,

I think I read where your mom’s situation turned out to be atypical hemangioma.

God bless you and your mom

• colt45
    edited October 2021
    Options

pure0323,

I’m glad the thread is helping you!

God bless you