Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips for fighting the dark clouds

Options

Comments

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    Options

Yes Lynne I totally agree spring I think is the best time of year. New beginning everything bursting with colour. 🌷💐🌹

• 3-16-2011
    3-16-2011 Member Posts: 279
    Options

I am with you. I am very much an amature gardener but love sunny days in which I can sit and pull weeds for hours.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    Options

Oh Mary,anytime you want to fly to NH, you are welcome to pull weeds here. Weeds are always my best crop.

Lynne

• 3-16-2011
    3-16-2011 Member Posts: 279
    Options

I often think of volunteering in my neighborhood to pull weeds. My husband thinks I am crazy but it is one of my favorite spring/summer activities.

• chelleg
    chelleg Member Posts: 396
    Options

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    Options

(((Chelle))) Lovely post! And so nice to "see" you… hope you're doing well.

Sending love,

Rose.

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    Options

Chelle, I love that!!!

• 50sgirl
    Options

Thank you, Chelle. I love that post.

Lynne

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    Options

Chelle, thanks for your post. That's an important reminder we all need to see from time to time. Seems like everytime I go to the oncologist there is some unexpected news

• Wendy3
    Options

Ah my dear Chelle loving the post 🍀

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    Options

Great post, Chelle!

3-16 - I should just fly you over here for a week and you can pull weeds to your heart's convent. We're the neighbourhood supply for convulvulus and nightshade. :)

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    Options

oh Terre, I love pulling weeds!

• Wendy3
    Options

So spring is finally here full blown, everything is fighting to bloom first . I decided it was time for me to get out of my hiding mode. I joined a dragon boat rowing club, had my first row over the ocean last night. Absolutely loved it though it's a lot harder than I had first anticipated there is a definite wrong way and right way

• GatorGal
    Options

Hey Wendy, congratulations on joining the dragon boat rowing club. I did a couple of practices with a group here in Annapolis, MD. One of my friends is totally involved and tried to get me into it. Unfortunately, my breathing issues with lung mets made it pretty difficult for me. Being an old p.e. Major, I sure wanted to give it a try. It was so much fun but I knew, deep down, it wasn't something I could commit to. What a thrill, though, to be able, in combination with other women, to glide with speed over the water. Keep it up!! Pretty soon tje right way will come naturally

• Wendy3
    Options

Thanks Gatorgal there are only two of us that are actually stage four the rest are all "survivors". I want to do it as long as I can hopefully I will be doing it long enough to get the movement right. I'm just happy that I found an excercise for outside in the city. Miss my horses and working out of doors. Things change but we can make the changes good

• GatorGal
    Options

Wendy, the group here in Annapolis is mostly survivors as well. It's awesome that you can get out and do it! They do races around the northeast and seem to have a lot of fun. enjoy

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    Options

Bumping for the newbies!

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    Options

great thread Terre, thank you :)

Ebr

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Ebru - so nice to see you post! I've been on BCO for a while; just incredibly busy with work travel (only been home 7 weeks since mid-Dec), painting the house, rescuing kittens, etc.

Sending hugs to all.

Terre

• GatorGal
    Options

seems this thread needs a bump! My dark cloud right now is caused by a chemo break. I had a bad reaction to abraxane and have to switch. Waiting a few weeks for the abraxane to move on out of my system. While chemo breaks are nice, I always have this thought, deep down inside, that my cancer is having a field day. I'm anxious to get going on my new treatment, Ixempra. I keep the dark clouds away by making sure I've got things on my calendar to look forward to, This week my dh and I are taking a road trip to nc to see my niece's daughter graduate with honors from high school. She and I have been very close over the years and it will be an exciting time. She is the first niece, granddaughter, of that generation, in our family and everyone is so proud. Of course I continue to go to Orioles games whenever I can! Glad we finally have warm weather and I don't have to bundle up like an Eskimo! I start the Ixempra on June 15.

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Hi Gator Gal. Sorry you're going through a rough time. June 15 is my birthday, so I reckon you should celebrate it with me and do something super nice for yourself. Now, because New Zealand is a day ahead, that means you can celebrate on June 14 in the US! When I worked in the US, anyone's birthday was an excuse for cake, getting a free makeover at the mall, buying a new dress, etc. That gives you something to look forward to!

Also, instead of thinking about all the cancer cells having a field day, try to visualise the abraxane being flushed from your body so it's ready for the Ixempra which will destroy the last of those little nasty beasties. Visualise the cancer cells becoming complaicent and coming out of hiding so the Ixempra can find and kill them. That's probably not much help, but I have found when I try to turn things around it helps sometimes.

Sending you hugs.

Terre

• GatorGal
    Options

thanks, terre, for your sweet response. I will celebrate your birthday! I love any excuse for a celebration! I am taking advantage of the chemo break and going to the dentist. That's always something to look forward to, right?

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

LOL@Dentist. I need to go to the dentist as well. Do something nice for yourself, buy yourself a bunch of daffodils or daisies or some new perfume. Or do something out of the box - go to a gallery, the library, or a farmers market or second hand shop. I find "interrupting" myself and doing something out of routine helps me refocus myself and be less negative.

Sending hugs,

Terre

• Wendy3
    Options

Great advice Terra I've been doing this for months. Our budget can't afford a lot of new stuff for me but getting out and shaking up my routine has been super helpful. Last night I met a bunch of new friends of my husbands in Oregon from work. They had a dinner party to welcome me because I haven't been in Oregon in a year and none of them had met me yet. Super sweet people but the underlying feeling of pity and sadness at my condition is always a harsh wake up call for me. But she looks so healthy....always gets me. So today I am going on a fifty mile bike ride with my hubby to enjoy nature and shake some of the well meant comments from my soul. It always makes you feel like you are not truly part of the human race anymore. BUT WE ARE.

Wendy

• GatorGal
    Options

50 mile bike ride? OMG! You are my hero. I think I did a 30 mile bike ride with my husband about 40 years ago. My parents had to drive us back to school the next day. I could barely walk! LOL! Have a great ride!

• 50sgirl
    Options

Wendy, 50 miles? Holy mackerel! An ambulance would need to follow me if I tried that. They would have to peel me off the pavement at about the 2 mile mark, I think. You are amazing. Maybe your post we inspire me to get back into shape. Have fun on your bike ride.

Lynne

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

Wendy, I agree with the part about not feeling a part of the human race. We had retirement party for my boss last ight. i got all dolled up and danced the night away (although I am paying dearly today). But I get more stares and comments on "how well I look". I have to shake it off too. Lynne, Hahah I agree 50 miles is a LOT! I am going to attempt 15 next week and think it will kick my butt.....But gotta keep on moving. They may have to peel me as well! Thanks for the reminder Gator and Kiwi, I need to get to the dentist AND eye doctor.

• Wendy3
    Options

Ended up being only thirty my brain was ahead of my body again lol

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Wendy - I have a warped sense of humour. And I was thinking..50 miles..but she seemed to healthy! She's obviously nuts! LOL Good on you, girl, even if it was 'only' 30. You are my hero as well! I'm trying to psych myself up to drive to the grocery store. :)

There's a lake not far from the house and we go feed the ducks sometimes. It's pretty much free and great fun. We take chicken feed (which we have for our chickens) and watch the ducks, geese, and swans race around for food. When I lived in Vegas, I would go wander the high-end mall, and look at the stuff in the designer shops. And Tiffany's. Not buying anything, but just pure fantasy. Now I go to Mitre 10 (like Home Depot) and gaze longingly at heating systems. :) New Zealand doesn't believe in central heat. You have a woodburner "in the lounge" (in our case, dining room instead of living room) and take hot water bottles to bed. I personally have fan heaters everywhere, but electricity is uber expensive. However, we're getting a heat transfer system installed and also have solar panels now. So I'm looking forward to a warmer house soon.

I posted a while back about substituting 'and' for 'but'. So when people say, "but you look so good" just turn it around - I have Stage IV cancer AND I look so good! Easier said than done. But I've been known to correct people with "and".

Sending hugs to my good looking friends. :)

• 50sgirl
    Options

Wendy, Congratulations for biking 30 miles. You are still an inspiration.

It's funny that you have brought up that "but you look so good" comment because I heard it from a nurse the other day. I was at the hospital for my pre-admission visit, and when the nurse saw in my records that I have stage IV bc, she gave me that comment as if it I would be happy to hear it. I thought that a nurse would know better, but why would she? I often feel that we are the forgotten population. People aren't educated about our condition, people don't discuss our stage of our disease, and they probably don't know what to say to us. I almost asked her what she expected me to look like, but instead I gave her a polite thank you. Big sigh.

Terre, It is really good to hear from you again. We have missed you. You never fail to amaze me when you talk about everything you have going on in your life. Good grief, I have turned into a lazy couch potato. Time to get moving again. So you have gone from Tiffany's to Home Depot? Well, the latter is more practical for sure. It will be nice to get your house warm and cozy. I have often told my DH that I would never have made it through a winter during colonial days here. I used to think I would have died from the cold, but now I realize that I wouldn't have lived long enough to freeze to death. Some hearty pioneer would have shot me to death when they got sick of hearing my whining and complaining about the cold.

Lynne