Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips for fighting the dark clouds

Options

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,834
    Options

Chelle,

I need that for my front door. Very funny.

Caryn

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    Options

Cute Caryn! I'd change beer to wine though. :)

I have a good news story. A guy I've done some work with (he's in construction) has mesothelioma. He was dx about a year ago. Curtains, you think? Not so fast! He is lucky enough to have money and a brother who's done fund raising and work to make this happen. He went to London and they flushed his pleural (sp?) cavity. They opened him up, scraped away what they could and then flushed him out. Three months later - NED. However, he still did radiation and a few round of chemo as a "clean up" exercise. He's now doing immunotherapy. Every three weeks, he flies to Auckland (from Wellington) for a treatment. Expensive as can be...$14K per treatment. He has a scan in 2 weeks, but his last scan when he started immunotherapy was (drum roll) NED. He's hoping he's still NED after the therapy. He said they decided to "unload all the guns" on the cancer and hit it with everything they could with the hope of destroying any lurking cancer cells. He's also having his tumour tissue analysed for proteins, etc, for customised therapy. So, he's fortunate enough to have the financial backing to do this, and also brave enough to try therapies that are still experimental on mesothelioma. People like him are helping advance the state of the science which may help us all - no matter which type of cancer we have.

He also said that his oncologist believes that within 2 years, we won't be treating cancer the same way we're treating it today. That the breakthroughs are coming so fast that the state of the science will be advanced and many of us will achieve and maintain NED for a long time. I sure hope he's right.

Also asking you to keep my friend in your thoughts and prayers - he's a brave guy and not taking this lying down.

Hugs to all,

Terre

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    Options

Chelle love the meme too funny have to agree with Terre would change it to wine as well.

Terre stories like that remain in out minds and keep us strong thanks for sharing this. Right now unfortunately it's all about money isn't it. I hoping this changes and there is some trickle down effect in treatment. Have a wonderful day ladies hugs to all.😊

Wendy

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Wendy -it is all about money right now, but remember that I live in New Zealand. We have virtually no clinical trials or govt programs for "experimental" treatments. They are starting a trial for immunotherapy in March here in NZ. A lot of people fly to Australia (not cheap and at least 5 hour flight) to participate in trials. So, having people like my friend, who can afford it, take part and help "prove" the technology will hopefully speed up approval and get the cost down. I have faith it will "trickle down" to those of us not as financially fortunate.

Hugs,

Terre

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    Options

Trick or treat time has ended for the year. Tonight I was reminded of how much joy a child can give to me. Every child who came to my door was bright-eyed, energetic, and excited. Children are so full of enthusiasm and curiosity. One boy who is probably four years old said , "Excuse me" then asked me why there was a big spider web in my front hall. (It is a Halloween decoration that my grandchildren insist upon every year.) I told the boy that we have really big spiders in the house. He said, "Oh, wow. Well, it's blocking the door to that room." I hope he doesn't have nightmares about giant spiders tonight.

My last trick-or treaters were a group of 9 children led by my 10 year old grandson. They all received their treats then came in for a bathroom and water break. Their parents waited in the driveway. I sat back and watched their interactions as they laughed together, spoke to each other, and planned the rest of the evening. I also repaired an angel's broken wings. Thank goodness for superglue. The kids genuinely enjoyed being together, and it was obvious that for them, the fact that they were out together was more fun and more important than getting candy. As they walked out the door, each one of them thanked my DH and me for their candy and drinks.

Sometimes the simple things in life provide me with the most satisfaction and motivation. Children are children. I am fortunate to live in a place where kids don't have to worry about the violence of war, where neighborhood kids are lucky enough to have food to eat, a place to live, and people to love them. As I watched the children tonight, I was hopeful for the future. In spite of all the bad news in the world, tonight, in my little part of it, there is still a spark from the young people who have love in their hearts and dreams in their heads.

Kids make me smile. Happy Halloween.

Lynne

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Beautiful, Lynne. Thanks for sharing!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,074
    Options

yes, 50sgirl, that is a very nice sentiment. It's true, sometimes it's those simple, relaxed moments that speak to the heart. I love the tall tale you told about having giant spiders in your house.

Happy Halloween to everyone.

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Had to post this...Becky used to work for me and is the daughter I wish I'd had. :) This is her little girl, Harper, as a strawberry. The funniest part is macho dad, Ryan, is dressed up as a cow. Apparently per Harper's request. :)

• Wendy3
    Options

Terre that is absolutely adorable...

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,834
    Options

What a delicious looking strawberry

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Here's Harper and her mum

• 50sgirl
    Options

Thanks, Terre, Those photos are precious. I have a big smile on my face now.

Lynne

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    Options

Love those pics Terre, Harper is adorable! You can see where she gets her looks from. Dee

• chelleg
    chelleg Member Posts: 396
    Options

imageimageTerre, adorable little strawberry! So sweet! Here are my children. Oldest girl 25 mom of my 5yr. Old grandson. Then my 20 yr old as flo from progressive ins. And my youngest 13, who didn't want to dress up until the last minute, so she put on her riding gear. And I can't forget my wonderful son in law, fantastic husband and father. I am so blessed!!!image

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Great photos and costumes Chelle!

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    Options

Love the photos, Terre & Chelle! Thanks for sharing them. Harper is adorable, and I love her name! And Chelle, your girls are all beautiful.

I had such a busy week, I was barely able to read (more like skim) and didn't have time to post, so now I'm waaaay behind, but will share a little bit of good news, which is that my TMs were down again -- nothing earth shaking, but enough to feel encouraged.

Happy November!

• 50sgirl
    Options

Chelle, the pictures are great. I think I enjoy Halloween more now than I did as a child.

Deanna, congratulations for the lower TMs. That is always good to hear. WooHoo!!

Lynne

• chelleg
    Options

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    Options

LOVE all the adorable pictures! It really is the simple things that tug at your heart and make life beautiful

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

Yes, I love the pics. Will have to attempt to post a few soon. Hahaha, Chelle love the Flo costume. Beautiful girls and a grandson to boot! Lucky gal! Little Miss Strawberry is a doll! Love the costume. Lynne I work in an elementary school and get a big kick almost every day from what kids say! Today I had to call a little girls parents so I asked her if Mom was at work or home. She said serious as can be, "Oh my Mom and Dad never work. They just work on the teepee all day." Yippee Deanna! Good news! PS: tips for dark clouds would be a funny show.

• chelleg
    Options

Thanks everyone. I think they are pretty cute! Deanna- I think that that's very encouraging! A little something to lift your spirits. Dh and I feel like the tumors in my breast might be shrinking, they are certainly less dense and the lumps seem smaller. Idk, pet in December will tell the story. But it gave us some hope

• Wendy3
    Options

Love that meme Chelle so true.

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Artist - too funny - work on the teepee all day! :)

Ok, whether you're a cat lover or not, this is nearly guaranteed to lift your spirits. A photo or a rescue kitten in a bib after his first solid food meal. Just cracks me up every time I look at it. He looks so grumpy. :)

• chelleg
    Options

Terre, a spirit lifter indeed! So darn cute!!

• suems
    suems Member Posts: 79
    Options

Looks like my kids when they were learning to eat solid food - a holistic experience! Love the cute wee bib, but it seems a little futile!

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

The bib is a waste of fabric in this case. It did crack me up though; poor little dude! And yes, reminded me of feeding a human baby.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

Hahaha! Looks like my cat as she is old so doesn't clean her face well anymore....

• Wendy3
    Options

So I was working on this deck on Monday with my husband was trying not to be bummed out as I have been the last few days (seems my impending oncologist appointment does that to me). Of course it started to rain I though super....just what we need. Then I looked up from hammering and the sun broke through the clouds and the rain looked like diamonds on the pond. I was mesmerized it was so beautiful. Love it when nature sets me right.

• Wendy3
    Options

Terre the cat pic is priceless I have three of those and if my husband wouldn't be the practical one of would have three more.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,074
    Options

The kitty photo is priceless.

The sun streaming down making rain look like diamonds......what a beautiful vision and photo. When I have moments like that, I very consciously drink in, absorb and savor them for a few extra minutes. They, too, are priceless