Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tips for fighting the dark clouds

Options

Comments

• chelleg
    chelleg Member Posts: 396
    Options

Wendy, what a beautiful picture! That's a lovely spot! I could look at a that view forever! Simply beautiful! Lots of love for you today!

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    Options

Beautiful photo. Just stunning. Thank you for sharing it! I ride the train to work and it travels along the ocean. Stunning view. I remind myself to never take it for granted.

Wendy - we have (blush) eight cats. Not all my doing. When I met DH, I had two - Nitro and Jay. Jay was 19 and sadly, passed away shortly before DH and I were married. Of the eight we have, two are my "fault" - Nitro and Frida. The rest are all on DH - his decision. Everyone thinks I'm the crazy cat lady, and while to an extent I am, he is truly the cat nut of the house. Of course, left up to me, we'd have eight cats, alpacas, dogs, pigs, babydoll sheep, etc. :) I'm just kind of an animal nut.

Good luck with your appointment, Wendy. I have a bone scan on Monday, so I'm reminding myself that I'm ok right now.

Hugs to all,

Terre

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    Options

Chelle and Terre thanks for the well wishes. So I was just told by my oncologist that I'm an odd case. I wonder how often she used that one. So after reminding me that this disease will kill me, she measured my tumour and it has shrunk again by 1/2 a cm she thinks it's the tamoxifen I'm not so sure. Since starting the CBD pills I've noticed a lot of itching in the breast and I feel great. So either it's the chemicals or its my hippy alternative stuff. Either way it's shrinking. I asked her about my tumour markers and she said from the last blood test there wasn't any.is that even possible. Well next visit will be in January nothing is scheduled till then. So I will try and be as normal as possible. Love to all you ladies . Wow Terre you must go through a lot of kitty litter. I would have a ton of cats to if my husband dint rein me in once in a while. Take care all.

Wendy

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    Options

Wow, Terre, eight cats? We have two dogs and one cat living here. The cat, of course, think she owns the place. She thinks she is half dog, I think. When she first came here, we had a golden retriever and they adopted each other. The slept curled up next to one another and spent a lot of time together. When the dog died, the cat was a bit lonely. One of our current dogs loves the cat and gets nightly face washes from her. The other dog ignores her. I hope your bone scan goes well on Monday.

Wendy, what a beautiful picture. It makes me feel at peace. Good luck with your appointment.

Lynne

• LindaE54
    LindaE54 Member Posts: 1,379
    Options

Wendy - Tumor shrinking is great! and YAY on feeling great. Hmm, your Onc doesn't seem too pleasant. Do you know when was the last time your TMs were tested? The pic is really beautiful. I also have a cat and a dog. Mr. Doggy is quite old now - now on painkillers and glucosamine. He's such a sweetheart.

Terre - good luck with bone scan on Monday!

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    Options

Wendy, your picture is beautiful! I agree with Linda about your onc! You don't need a negative doctor while dealing with cancer. Don't be afraid to ask questions about your care, remember that they work for you

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

Wendy my Onc doesn't test for TM's every time either. Although I asked this time so she did, but then didn't post them on my chart yet 5 days later which is annoying.....My cat is at the end of her ninth life I'm afraid. The dog senses it and is acting weird.....nature does sooth my soul for sure, nice pic! Must have been fun helping DH in the sunshine!

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

I wasn't sure where to post this, but decided on this thread. It's all perspective.

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

You are braver than you think.

• Wendy3
    Options

So today I did something different for me I searched on Pintrest stage four cancer. Been o afraid to look stuff up before because hey ignorance is bliss right? Wrong ignorance gets you dead. There I found all kinds of interesting stories about folks who have beaten the odds and beat this disease. Some of it was bogus obviously but some were true stories. Always helps me on the dark days. Terre love the meam another good one.

Wendy

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Glad you found another good source of info and hope, Wendy! There are a lot of survivors out there. What's interesting is that MBC seems to be getting some publicity and it seems like some of the longer term survivors are coming out of the shadows, which is awesome.

Thought this was cute and made me smile and think of the boards here - we put out some love and get lots back.

• Wendy3
    Options

Love love love that cartoon Terre 😘

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

:) I thought it was cute!

• artistatheart
    Options

Very cute indeed! Also a good one Kiwi! I agree with you Wendy, reading survivors stories helps my mood immensely. We all need to bring MBC to the forefront so that there are more resources devoted to the research. No one should have to go through the hell of this stress.

• 50sgirl
    Options

It has been a while since I posted to this thread. This is not really a tip for fighting dark clouds, rather a reminder of the light behind the clouds. Something happened recently that showed me how the goodness in people can come out in response to terrible tragedies. One of my grandsons is 14 years old. His best friend lost his mother to breast cancer last year. I was touched to see how my grandson focused on his friend at that time and tried to comfort him. Tragedy struck his friend's family again last week when their house burned to the ground. They lost everything - photos, clothing, furniture, special items -all gone. Luckily, no one was hurt. My grandson again rushed to comfort his friend and asked his mom to take him to the mall to buy his friend some necessities. Their community of friends, neighbors, and complete strangers have rallied to their side. More than $100,000 has been donated to the family in just a few days. People have opened their homes to the family. Numerous additional fund raisers have been scheduled around town. It warms my heart to see the kindness and generosity that so many people have shown. There are so many horrific stories in the news today. It is comforting to know that so much goodness still exists in our world.

Lynn

• Carrie61
    Carrie61 Member Posts: 26
    Options

1I lift up my eyes to the hills.
    From where does my help come?
    2My help comes from the LORD,
    who made heaven and earth.

Psalm 121

• chelleg
    chelleg Member Posts: 396
    Options

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Lynne - truly beautiful. What an amazing grandson you have! Thanks so much for sharing that. :)

• artistatheart
    Options

Thanks Lynn, it helps to be reminded that I am not the only one going through hell and that there still are good people walking the earth. At least my children are grown.....Carrie, I keep trying to rediscover and ignite my faith. Chelle, best laugh of the week!

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Good article on what they don't tell you - a must read, I reckon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emily-breeden/the-th...

• Wendy3
    Options

Terre it's a very good article made me cry a little because i felt she coined it very aptly. Learning to push the despair and fear to some back corner of my mind is some days easier than others. In society we are expected to keep it together to be strong. 

• melp27
    melp27 Member Posts: 295
    Options

kiwicatmom - such a great article! describes what I feel almost on a daily basis. I got emotional too reading it.

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Hi Wendy and Melp! Glad you thought it was a good article. I saw a counselor just after my dx. She said to acknowledge the feeling, but don't live there. Easier said than done. I thought the article was really good because it does describe what they don't tell you - the emotional roller coaster that is this disease. Melp - your dx is relatively new. It does get easier with time. The asking myself "am I ok right now in this moment in time?" is my go-to thing when I get overwhelmed with fear and sadness. And I think acknowledging that it's ok to be scared, it's ok to be depressed and sad, it's ok to be freaked out is important too (as the article said). I get really tired of people telling me how brave and strong I am. Because I don't feel brave and strong at all...I'm just getting on with life as best I can.

Sending hugs,

Terre

• Wendy3
    Options

Terre had to post this it made me think of you and your kitties and heck it's just funny

• 50sgirl
    Options

Wendy, thank you for giving me a good laugh.

Lynne

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Love it! Thanks, Wendy!

• lynn1234
    lynn1234 Member Posts: 90
    Options

I love all of the suggestions and cartoons. I have been able to get my mind off the cancer for a while, then little by little it creeps back in.However, i got a bombshell last week and have been crying ever since. My oldest daughter and her husband will have to move across the country for his job...my little grand daughter is just 6 months old.I have fallen in love with her and cant bear the thought of thei

r precious little family moving away. i have joined new groups, started new hobbies, etc. it helps for a while.

i just feel like giving up the fight at this point. i guess i'm having a pity party. i am 3 years into this and am stable. maybe time for an antidepressant.

lynn1234

• artistatheart
    Options

Oh Lynn, that just bites that they have to move. Do you have family close by? Start planning a visit right now for when you are feeling well enough. It will give you something to look forward to. Also learn to Skype or whatever it is these days. Of course you can't give up! Stable is a gift and chemical help is too! Hang in there, I'm thinking about you....

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

Oh Lynn, I'm so sorry. That has to be incredibly hard! And I think most (at least many) of us are on antidepressants. It does help with the coping. And Artist has the right idea - Skype and start planning the visit now! Sending hugs.

• KiwiCatMom
    Options

PS...I have a friend who was a nuclear submarine commander in the British Navy. He can be a bit full on, but I adore him. He's smart and funny and a softy underneath. When I was going through a "want to give up time", he literally grabbed me by the lapels of my coat, stuck his face close to mine and said: Do not EVER give up - that's an order! EVER!

I got back to that moment from time to time - I have my orders. :) Wish I could send him to you right now but since I can't physically do that, I'll do it in spirit - do not EVER give up. Ever. Despite the move across the country, you have many many many more memories to make with that amazing baby granddaughter. Don't deprive her of those.