Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cats, cats, cats

Options

Comments

• scrunchthecat
    scrunchthecat Member Posts: 138
    edited September 2015
    Options

Pistachio! One of three. Rescued from the mean streets of Philadelphia.

• Donna-Dew
    Donna-Dew Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2015
    Options

Handsome Pistachio! Is he/she a lilac point siamese? I've heard of that color but have never seen one. Glad these kitties found their forever home with you :)

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited September 2015
    Options

TomBoy paint whatever inspires you, if that happens to be my cat - great!

Welcome scrunchthecat - lucky Pistachio! What a beautiful cat.

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2015
    Options

Love the Cat's map of the bed!

• scrunchthecat
    scrunchthecat Member Posts: 138
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thank you Donna-Dew and feelingfelne for admiring Pistachio's handsomeness! He is a very sociable kitty and would jump in everyone's lap for pets and purrs. We are not sure if he is an apple-headed siamese or a tonkinese mix. I've heard his points referred to as "blue," but not "violet."

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618
    edited September 2015
    Options

Simon the Cat

cat Lovers, check out Simon if you don't know about him.

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2015
    Options

Simon's Cat is so purrfect ThumbsUp

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,872
    edited September 2015
    Options

I've also heard them called lilac point. Our gray/white cat had 4 in 2 litters. We found homes for the first 2 before the points showed up. When the second 2 got their points, we realized what the first 2 were. They were an interesting creamy color, definitely not white. If the points have faint stripes, they're called lynx point.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

I had a siamese cat given to me in highschool by my grade 9 science teacher because things weren't working out with the addition of her husband's new hunting dog. Tiki was a seal-point siamese and what an affectionate cat :))

That's interesting Wren about the lynx point! I will have to google to see a photo.

Smaarty thanks for the link to Simon the Cat, loving it.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

Prowler our youngest cat has only two modes.... high alert, and sleeping...

He always looks so contented when he sleeps - I wish I slept that good!!!

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited September 2015
    Options

Pistaschio and Prowler. How cute are they! I had a lilac point ragdoll years ago. And my mom had a lynx point ragdoll. Wonderful cats; miss the still.

And I love Simon's cat. Just priceless.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

KiwiCatMom, really looking forward to seeing your upcoming kitten photos from the "Kitten Inn" :) Are you caring for some of the pregnant mama's at home or at the rescue shelter?

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

Can you relate to this bed? :) This could have been the picture of our bed a few years back. Yep 3 cats and a dog. Since we got a new higher king-size bed the dog can't jump up anymore and he is content to lie by the bedside on his mat. The cats like to stay outside at night in the summer time. But when winter comes they stay inside and we HAVE to close our bedroom door otherwise we don't get a good night's sleep and that can lead to too many cases of the morning crankies!

• wren44
    edited September 2015
    Options

from a kitten foster parent. Her cat has decided to take over the mothering.

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015
    Options

awwww..foster baby and big kitty!

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited September 2015
    Options

• meadow
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi everyone, I am not good at putting pictures on here, I finally got the above one of my gorgeous man. Mattie is 13, and has the most precious temperment. I need HELP! He recently developed chronic gingivitis, and is miserable. I have had him to two different vets, and have had 2 discussions for treatment. One wants to do a dental and remove teeth. One says that won't help and he wont do well. Any input? Anyone had a cat with gingivitis and sores? I have to do something to help him. He has been on a 5 day steriods course, and it did help. Can he be on steriods for the rest of his life?

• CAMommy
    CAMommy Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2015
    Options

Mattie is beautiful! I had a full bread Scottish fold who had horrible teeth. The vet pulled them all out by age 8 or so. She was able to eat kibble just fine without them. The vet said their jaws are very strong. She did have a heart murmur though and died from a strokea few years later. :(.

I also had a different cat who had very severe allergies and was on steroids for life. One of my current kitties has asthma and we just started him on steroids. He gets a shot every month.

• wren44
    edited September 2015
    Options

I fostered a cat who had all her teeth pulled. She was underweight because it hurt to eat. We fed her canned food and eventually she wanted kibble as well. The vet said they mostly just swallow it anyway. She plumped out to normal size and was gorgeous.

• meadow
    edited September 2015
    Options

thank you CaMommy and Wrenn for your replies. I am leaning toward pulling his teeth...I think. I have LOVED this thread! Your cats are all gorgeous. They are just so special yes? that is why I must get this dental thing resolved for him. He never complains and I can see how miserable he is. Thank you both so much.

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618
    edited September 2015
    Options

This was Bailey. We had him for 8 years. His mom was a black Manx and his dad was a Himilayan. You can't tell here but he doesn't have a tail. always sat funny like this. He got into something dirty all over his fur and after he cleaned himself up he got sick. It wasn't antifreeze but whatever the dirt was caused his kidneys to shut down. Still miss him.

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015
    Options

Kitten season has begun. A momcat surrendered the the Kitten Inn had babies yesterday - the first one at 9 am and the tenth one at 7 pm. Sadly, three were really small and somewhat malformed and passed away, but there are 7 survivors. Pictures to come soon!

• wren44
    edited September 2015
    Options

Wow, 10 is a huge number! I think she would have had trouble caring for all 10. Hope the survivors do well.

• littleblueflowers
    littleblueflowers Member Posts: 391
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi meadow, I haven't posted here, but I read it all the time and it's one of my favorites. I had to jump in when I saw you are considering getting your cats teeth pulled. Hopefully this will never happen to anyone else, but we lost our beloved cat daughter to a bad reaction to anesthetic because the vet wanted to pull one of her teeth. It was the saddest most aweful day of my life- 100 times worse than cancer. Please get a second oppinion befor you have your cat put under. I'm so sorry to be a downer, but I really want to warn people that it can happen.

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015
    Options

New babies. Look at those tiny feet and claws! This is the kitty that had 10; she's not that big!

• meadow
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thank you LBF, you are not a downer. I am so sorry you lost your cat that way. I am wanting input, so I appreciate yours!

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

Wren that was a beautiful photo of the foster kitten being loved and accepted by the foster human's cat! So wonderful.

Meadow welcome to you and Mattie! He looks like quite a sweetheart. Such a dilemma knowing what the right thing to do to help him with his gingivitis. I'm glad that you are having some success with the steroids. And great that you got some feedback from experiences from other cat lovers on here. I found an article on chronic gingivitis on an on-line vet clinic website. I've used this website before when trying to understand different feline problems. http://manhattancats.com/Articles/Severe%20Gingivitis-Stomatitis.html It's an interesting read, some cats do well on steroids, some cats had to be taken to the vet from time to time for a long-acting steroid injection. Unfortunately though the steroids and antibiotics eventually become ineffective then extraction becomes necessary. So this vet is leaning toward extraction as the best treatment even though some cats still need some steroid support even after surgery. Maybe tell the vet, the one you feel more comfortable with, that you've been doing a little research and that you would like some help weighing the pros and cons of surgery compared with long-term steroid use. I would just be a little concerned with Mattie going under anesthetic at his age. But the vet knows best. Maybe there are extra precautions that they can take now. Like littleblueflowers, I don't want to be a downer, I just want the absolute best for you and Mattie :))

Smaarty so sorry about Bailey, such handsome markings he had, and those eyes! We almost lost Prowler this year to something still unexplained, brought him to the vet and his fever had reached 106, the vet couldn't believe it. He was put on antibiotics and lived but honestly I was starting to prepare myself for the worst. Love them so much.

KiwiCatMom, I haven't seen kitties this wee for a long, long time!! So lovely and thank you for sharing it. I hope mama cat can support all those kittens and herself. I'm guessing with 7 kittens though she and the kittens will have to be supplemented.

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015
    Options

Bailey = beautiful!

I had a 10 year old cat have her teeth out which made her happier as she had been in pain. But putting them under is always a risk.

The wee babies will go into foster care with their mum in a day or two and will be bottle fed if required. The momma cats get high end food for nursing cats so that helps.

Once the kits are big enough they will get desexed, vaccinated, microchipped, etc. and will be adopted out. In this case, the owner wants mom back so she'll go home after she is spayed, chipped and vaccinated. :) If the owner doesn't want them back they get rehomed. It is a good organisation funded by donations and staffed by volunteers. Volunteers are paid in cuddles.

I fostered 6 earlier this year and ended up keeping 3. Biggest foster fail on record.

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi Meadow and welcome to the cat club! I would lean towards the teeth pulling too based on a personal experience. I had a cat Willow who died in 2004 from a gum infection that actually went into the jaw bone. Vet had to remove a piece of his jaw and I was to feed him pureed cat food, as he would not have managed normal food due to missing piece of jaw. However he just gave up the will to live, wouldn't eat the pureed food and sadly had to be euthanased at just 10 years old. The vet said he was just really, really unfortunate in the infection going into the bone but these complications can occur. LittleBlueFlowers is right to raise the point that an allergic reaction to anaesthesia can occur - a friend of mine lost her young cat this way just going in for the routine neutering. Has Mattie had anaesthesia ever before - if so at least you would know he is not allergic?

Sorry to hear of your loss LittleBlueFlowers

Donna Dew your cat photos are glorious!

Smaarty - Bailey is beautiful. RIP Bailey. I had a cat Charlie who got creosote on him in 1991 - creosote is toxic to cats. Had to wash him with washing up liquid. Luckily we knew about that particular toxin being on him from the smell. I was really cross that a neighbour had creosoted their fence and not thought to warn people in the neighbourhood to keep their cats in. Possibly they just didn't know. The sad thing was poor Charlie was Feline Leukemia Virus positive so was already dying, this was in the days before a vaccine against this horrible virus had been developed. So I had to subject an already ill cat to the stress of a sudsy bath. We had got 4 kittens in 1989/90, and they all became infected with FLV which was absolutely rampant in the UK at the time (I was living in Kent in the UK at the time), with no cure. 4 lovely cats, Charlie, Blossom, Honey and Jazz all died before they were 2. It was so sad. You can imagine I am very vigilant about this vaccine now that it exists, thank God.

• wren44
    edited September 2015
    Options

We had a cat who came into the shelter testing positive for FELV. He didn't seem sick at all. We got him into a rescue for FELV cats in Oregon. DH and I dropped him off on our way to see GSs. Luckily the place was on the way and easy to find. He was a nice cat, so I'm glad he wasn't euthanized while he felt well.