Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cats, cats, cats

Comments

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited September 2015

Thank you so much Donna and feelingfeline for the warm welcome and your insights. I am starting him on a 30 day steriod course, see if this is the answer. if not, I will have to try extractions. My non-extraction-opinioned vet thinks we should try this first, then do the dental as a last resort. I think this is a good course of action. FIngers crossed!

• scrunchthecat
    scrunchthecat Member Posts: 138
    edited September 2015

Hi Meadow,

Good luck with the steroids. If it works, then great! I can tell you that my kitty Clarence (pictured above) had to have almost all of his teeth pulled because of severe mouth disease. Symptoms: His breath stank, he seemed to have a hard time eating, and he started jumping up next to me on the couch and meowing pitifully (he is a big scardy cat, although he has gotten better). He now has one fang and one of his smaller teeth left, and eats everything - kibble, soft food, bits of chicken - no problem. A couple of things to look out for: First, when the vet does the extraction, make sure the vet also does xrays after the fact. They have to make sure they get all of the tooth and don't leave any roots behind. The roots cause the worst kind of infections that can lead to stomatitis. Second, kitty needs to leave with some antibiotics. While there is always a risk that kitty will have an adverse reaction to the anesthesia, please know this is very rare and your vet will perform some blood tests beforehand to help evaluate whether kitty is a good candidate for anesthesia. Clarence was a new kitty after he had his teeth pulled. Happy, healthy - still skittish, but much more friendly.

• meadow
    edited September 2015

Thank you scrunch and your Clarence is so handsome.

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited September 2015

Day old babies...

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,920
    edited September 2015

They look clean and polished. Good Mum.

• panthrah
    panthrah Member Posts: 140
    edited September 2015

GAH KITTENS!!

• CAMommy
    CAMommy Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2015

do they have their momma or are they being bottle fed? They are adorable. :)

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782
    edited September 2015

This is Butch and I just love him. I've been a pet sitter since July. He is owned by someone else and his family just adores him.

He is 17 years old and so fun to just hang out with.image

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,838
    edited September 2015

Hi Ladies! I have enjoyed looking at all the cat pictures. Here is a picture of our sister cats we got from the animal shelter 14 years ago. Spottish is on the left and Daisy is on the right. They rule my world!

• wonderland
    edited September 2015

I have a cat statue by the front door that used to be solid black. One day a couple of years ago I decided to spruce her up!

• wonderland
    edited September 2015

Daisy and I are staring out the window.

• wonderland
    edited September 2015

The girls waiting and watching for me to come home.

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015

Awww. Those are all wonderful pictures. I love the sisters.

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    edited September 2015

Mozie lounging on the ledge by her favorite sunny window

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited September 2015

Meadow- we had to have quite a few abcessed teeth taken out of our Zoey cat. She was so thin and then one day I watchedher cry when she ate, crunched down on kibble and cried out. So I took her in again. The Vet did films and it turned out all her teeth were rotten. The bone had separated on the jaw! So my terrific vet took out all her teeth. Zoey did well through the surgery and her gums and jaw healed. She eats like a trouper and has gained weight, back to being a littly chubby. This vet specializes in teeth and is very careful with anesthesia. The only thing that is weird about her not having any teeth, is that she will play bite you and it's like being gummed! She thinks she is being ferocious... ha! She is a very happy toothless old lady! I wish you luck with yours.

I know the fear of annesthesia is real because my BIL lost his miniature Aussie at 10 years old right after a dental cleaning, she seized and died. He was devastated and felt like he caused it. Of course he didn't, but it hurt just the same.

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015

Beautiful cats! The sisters look a lot like the mum of the babies I posted.

The babies are nursing and doing well. They get weighed every couple of days and if they're not gaining weight they get some bottle feeding too.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited September 2015

Wow such fabulous pictures!

Butch is gorgeous.

Meadow, best wishes with Mattie's treatment.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited September 2015

Wonderland what a wonderful Mexican/inca-esque cat artwork! Smile

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015

Movers are here today. Starkist refusing to budge off her person's bed (my oldest daughters). Eyes tightly shut, wishing this was all a big bad dream.

• Donna-Dew
    Donna-Dew Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2015

awwww... Starkist looks a little sad today. Don't you wish we could just explain things to them so that they would understand. I know it would make me feel better lol!

We got all 3 cats into the crates today and went to the vet for vaccines and checkups. All went well! Lots of yodelling during the car trip, from the cats. No deposits in the crates, yay!! And we are now back home and peaceful again :))

Was away to see my breast surgeon yesterday, 6hr round trip, lots more beautiful cat and cat lover photos here since then! I so enjoy seeing them all! Keep them coming :))

Donna

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015

This is Sweetpea when she was little. She seemed to enjoy being on 2 legs instead of 4 .

Even years later it was her favourite pose...

She is something special, I tell her often that she is the sweetest pea in the pod!

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015

Awww..sweetpea is lovely!

Glad the trip to the vet was successful!

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015

Chilled momcat and babies. Note the small pink/red paw sticking up in the back. And yes, the kitten did make it back to where he belongs with no drama.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015

Mama looks a little more settled today after that day-long delivery! She is so sweet with that little black chin, and such dolly kittens. Adorable!!

• meadow
    edited September 2015

Rosevalley thanks for your reply.The vet I have used said she does not have dental xrays and told me to get estimates from other vets who do this. I got one estimate on a dental extraction with dental xrays, and I cannot afford it. It was $750.00. As I only got the one estimate, I am wondering if you remember how much it was...was this way off?

Thank you feelingfeline.

The pics are all just wonderful!

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited September 2015

Meadow it was over 700 I remember that, and that included xrays because the abcess had gone through the jaw and weakened it to the point where it looked like it would break or was broken I forget. We were very concerned about Zoey's jaw. But she came through surgery fine and is a chubby happy camper years afterwards! She did get soft food, super pate stuff for a good 6 months or so after surgery. Now she eats regular salmon/ sweet potatoe kibble with everyone else. We went to a vet clinic that had 4 vets and the one who did the surgery had special training in dental surgeries. She was outstanding. I think Zoey is 12 yrs or so. (We also have a 15 yr. brown and red ticked tabby named Percy and 8 year old Siamese mix with blue eyes named Emmy)

Maybe the vet would allow payments? Some will if you pay 50%. There are also some insurance plans you can purchase to cover an expense and make payments for a nominal amount. We put it on plastic and paid it off little by little. I figured it was cheaper then what I paid for a crown! Still painfully pricey I know. Good luck.

Sweetpea is beautiful! Starkist looks so sad... love her name. I think the pictures are so fine thanks for sharing. The foster babies are so cute!

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015

Starkist got packed in the moving van! She hid in a small cabinet that we have and the movers put it on the van! She was crying so luckily they found her. Silly kitty. Thank goodness she is ok. She's safe and sound now with us.

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015

Oh no @ Starkist. Glad she's ok!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,920
    edited September 2015

Meadow, You might try playing the cancer card. You know, your chemo just about wiped out your savings and the kitty is your emotional support and you really want to treat her well. Tears might be appropriate at this point.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015

Meadow, maybe this might help too... here is a link to the American Humane Society's webpage for help when having to deal with the financial part of getting appropriate vet care for our pets.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tip...

I didn't have too much time to look into all their suggestions but there is a link there to imom.org which looks promising if you read the testimonials there.

Thinking of you and Mattie, and sending ((hugs)).