Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cats, cats, cats

Options

Comments

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited September 2015
    Options

Swaeetpea - gorgeous cat, gorgeous photos!

• moni731
    moni731 Member Posts: 212
    edited September 2015
    Options

You guys have some of the most beautiful cats around! The photos really seem to capture their personalities!

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited September 2015
    Options

Wren....lol I love that idea! I jokingly say I will do that, just never have! This may be my chance.

Thank you Donna for the link...surely there is a cheaper dental out there than $750.00. Seems outragious to me. But he is worth that and more such a sweetheart, gentle giant, 15 pounds of love.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,021
    edited September 2015
    Options

Love all the pictures!!!

• Donna-Dew
    Donna-Dew Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2015
    Options

Meadow I know, vet prices are so high now. This past January I was told that exploratory surgery for a cat - just to diagnose a problem - would cost $800-$1000. I know that it includes all pre-op and post-op procedures, drugs, supplies and 3-4 day stay, but still. Unreal!

Welcome back Ruth! I'm still holding out for a photo of that kitty tree topper if you can find it. No pressure lol!!

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

CAMommy, how are you doing as you get ready for your last treatment? yay! And then cratin' it to the airport lol!!

You are almost there. We're thinking of you!

Smile

• ruthbru
    edited September 2015
    Options

I will look for my Cat in the Christmas Tree tomorrow!

• panthrah
    panthrah Member Posts: 140
    edited September 2015
    Options

vet trip tomorrow.. both cats (13 and 4) de worming ( can i tell you how much i HATE fleas) .. new vet.. going to be expensive with all their "first time check ups' and "senior wellness" stuff. one cat is hanging out IN the carrier now.. the older one knows better and is on the other side of the house :p I think vet trips stress me out as much as it does them

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited September 2015
    Options

I told my vet that price was an issue, as I was now on a fixed income. What could we do to bring the cost down? The yearly on one of the dogs came down by half. Next visit on the other dog same. LOL They're is a new vet in town. The cost the previous year was 174. Next year was < 70. HMMMMM. OH plus, the local SPCA started to offer yearlies................

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited September 2015
    Options

I have embrace pet insurance for my 2 kitties. They have been wonderful my male cat had to have eye surgery $1400 for the procedure alone. They pay 80%. It costs me around $800 a year for both cats. But they don't cover pre-existing conditions though.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited September 2015
    Options

I flipped out last year at my vets office. I'd been going there 30 years, and I'd had enough of one partner. I called him a money grubbing SOB. Got Spookies records, and left.

I go to a low cost clinic now. Still a lot of $$$, but less than I would be paying at old place. Call around, check prices for procedures.

Isn't there a monthly flea treatment for cats like there is for dogs? A pill?

I've never had a cat, don't know much about them. Enjoy seeing all the pics.

• panthrah
    edited September 2015
    Options

there absolutely is a monthly flea treatment for kitties. which i was using..lapsed a month.. went on a trip ..came home and my fluffy one was covered in flea dander.. gggrrrrrrrrrrrrr. hes 4 and never had fleas til this year. we had a a friend move in a for 6 months who said his old cat had fleas.. and poof now we do. I am less than pleased about it. we now have: steam cleaned the carpets ..even under the beds, sprayed outside in the grass, used Diatomaceous Earth, advantage in 3 week intervals, cleaned the actual litter boxes with lysol and let them dry in the sun, bought flea traps, and flea combed both cats. but all it takes it them swallowing one stinkin flea and they get worms. First round of pills i was like " no problem I can pill them"... I got docked cat mom points for this... crazy cat.. pill down no problem. chill cat.. drama.. could NOT make it happen! I ended up making a kitty burrito and getting the pill in there. they both reacted like the pill smelled awful. i had the pill on the desk and they both winced sharply away. now Im just going to have the vet do it. if they ever need pills again.. if its a smaller pill ill do it.. but the heartache it was causing both of us was terrible. after the pill issue, for about a week, if i moved.. he ran, and I dont want that. Did i say that i hate fleas?

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited September 2015
    Options

I don't know what the pill was, but at the shelter we use a liquid. I learned my cat can spit across the room. I'm with you having the vet do it. Even the kittens gag on that stuff. Their first loss of confidence in the goodness of people.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited September 2015
    Options

My cat went walk about yesterday and left his harness and leash somewhere. Darn, that thing was expensive! I'm going to leave a flyer in people's doors on our block to call if they find it.

• scrunchthecat
    scrunchthecat Member Posts: 138
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi Spookiesmom -

The pill treatment is called Comfortis. It was originally prescribed for dogs, but now they have it for cats. It is by far the most effective of the flea treatments. I am metaphysically unable to give my cats a pill, so we are still on Revolution, which is the monthly topical you apply to the back of the neck. It also works. If you can give your kitty a pill (it's a big pill and even the vet techs break it into pieces before administering it), Comfortis might be your best bet.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited September 2015
    Options

I use pill pockets for my dogs, also made for cats. They look like play dough, smell vile, dogs snarf them down. Get it at big box pet stores.

Was using Frontline for fleas, they're year round here. The fleas built an immunity to it. Have used Comfortis, good stuff. Currently using Trifexis.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2015
    Options

As promised, the ever popular Christmas Cat Tree Topper

• ruthbru
    edited September 2015
    Options

• ruthbru
    edited September 2015
    Options

She was also known to hang out in the refrigerator! image

• panthrah
    edited September 2015
    Options

Binx did the Fridge thing too

• panthrah
    edited September 2015
    Options

both at the vet.. went better than i thought. The older one kept the young one calmer.. totally didnt see that coming. both were on their best behavior..again.. didnt see that coming. see the cupboard to the left? Binx ( fluffy one) kept standing up... opening the door.. and going inside.. then would come out again.. then stand up... lean back and open the door...the vet and tech kept giggling at him :p Then he left it open so willow went and checked it out. no one peed in the carrier, no hissing at anyone or each other, no scratching or biting. overall id consider this a very successful intro to the new vet :) Moms nerves are shot however *faints*

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited September 2015
    Options

Beautiful kitties! Love the Christmas tree topper. And kitties in the fridge. And babies on good behaviour at the vet. :)

The kittens must be happy about the sunshine because they're hooning around like little mad creatures.

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    edited September 2015
    Options

I'm finally posting the third cat, Nia. She practically lives in this window. When my cat and I moved in with my boyfriend in July, I officially became a cat lady! With his 2, we now have 3 They are tolerating each other well but I don't expect them to cuddle anytime soon!

My kitty, Dusty.

And Lia, sister of Nia.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

Loving all these new feline photos!!

Ruth thank you for finding the Christmas Cat Tree Topper photos... priceless!!! The first photo really gives a good perspective, your kitty calmly nestled in the top of the tree!! The second photo is particularly endearing, such a sweet close-up and you can almost feel the movement of the tree lol!!! That's your guardian angel kitty I think? What an angel, in more ways than one :)) I love these photos of her!!

The inside-the-fridge cat photos are really blowing me away, I have never seen a cat do that in all my years as a crazy cat lady, hilarious!!!

Panthrah I'm glad you had good luck at the vet clinic this week too. Honestly I understand, the cats get stressed but I get stressed x 100000!! The wide-eyed kittys in the clinic photo tell the tale :)

KiwiCatMom, so good to hear that those wee babies are happy and enjoying the sunshine :)

And Julie, what beautiful photos of your newly formed cat clan! KiwiCatMom will tell you that "3 cats does not a crazy cat lady make..." And FeelingFeline had some wisdom given to her about just adding a dog to the cat clan and then you are classified an "animal lover" and not a "crazy cat lady".

I just love them all, all critters great and small.

Heart

• CAMommy
    CAMommy Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2015
    Options

we were all set to move today but woke up to a sick kid, looks like food poisoning. So we are spending (an expensive) 2 extra days at a hotel here in San Francisco. Kitties are with us.

Ralph is Mr. chill

Starkist is none to happy. If this isn't an angry cat face, I don't know what is

Dusty is hiding under the bed.

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015
    Options

Dusty came out

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

CAMommy I feel for you. I hope your little sick person is feeling somewhat better. Food poisoning, thats rough at the best of times let alone during a major move and more traveling coming up. Ralph appears to be taking it in stride but poor Starkist does look a little distraught. Wow the Dustman looking like he's right at home! Quite the change from hiding under the bed. Maybe the Dustman and Ralph being calm will eventually help Starkist. Hope things start going in the right direction really soon!

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited September 2015
    Options

Julie - Lia looks like our Turbo. Dusty is lovely! Nia looks like she views you as papparazzi. :)

Poor CA Mom - food poisoning in a hotel with cats. Not fun! Here's hoping that your son gets well quickly and you can be on your way. And I'm sure your kitties will be fine; they do recover from horrific trauma, such as travel, quite quickly. Sending you good thoughts!

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited September 2015
    Options

CaMommy hope your child feels much better really soon, poor lamb.

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks, Ladies, He's feeling much better today. I think we all needed a day or two to recover from getting the house ready. I know I did, having just finished rads the day before. Kitties are happy in their new home here. I'm pretty sure they think this is it. lol. They will be in for a surprise when I load them up again tomorrow morning for the big trip on the airplane. But the good news is no one peed in their crate yesterday and we had about a 45 minute drive from our old house to San Francisco Airport.