Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cats, cats, cats

Options

Comments

• Donna-Dew
    Donna-Dew Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2015
    Options

This bra was designed and made by artist Patti Haskins. It was Patti's contribution to the Painted Bra Art Project in 2012. The project continues to increase awareness about breast cancer and create a nurturing support system with the help of artists around the world. www.facebook.com/thepaintedbraartproject The bra was auctioned off for $35. What a steal! I would love to have a pretty kitty bra! I wonder if Patti could be coaxed into making more of these, I'm sure I could get my breast forms or some kind of stuffing in there! Matching crocheted pink panties would be nice too :)) C'mon girls you know you love it!!

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited September 2015
    Options

Awesome bra!

• CAMommy
    CAMommy Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2015
    Options

we are moving the day after I finish treatment (in 1 week). Dusty packed himself so we don'tforget him.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

Moving... one of those life experiences that brings out the best and worst in us lol!! Dusty seems ok with it so far. He's got dibs on a good spot :) He's such a looker!

Here are some glamour shots of Raggs, a beauty girl who passed a long while back. She could've been a model...

And now a profile shot... lol!

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015
    Options

hahaha. Profile shot. She was beautiful!

Here's The Dustman's profile shot

I love this cat, can you tell. Lol

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

The Dustman! Love that aka! And great profile shot, look at that prominent white mane and spiraling whiskers, very distinguished indeed. He knows that you love him! I can tell that you are a wonderful cat mom :))

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,872
    edited September 2015
    Options

CAmommy, Are you moving to a different house or a different city? We moved 2 cats and a litter of kittens half way across the country.

Raggs is very impressive.

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015
    Options

we are moving across the country, California to Florida. Kitties are coming with us (of course) they will not be too happy with us though. We are going by airplane.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

CAMommy I don't have any experience moving long-distance with cats but I came across this article for you in case it might help. There were some very interesting and practical tips that I never would have thought of!

How to Pack and Move your Cat Safely to a New Residence

It was written by a very interesting "moving guy" from your home state... this is his bio: (No he does not recommend packing cats in a Recopack!)

"I'm the founder of Rent-A-Green Box and the inventor of the Recopack. Recently, I received the 2009 State of California's Govenor's Economic and Environmental Leadership award ( GEELA) for new market technologies in recycling. I'm very proud to have brought a new packing and moving alternative to America with my unique green invention called the Recopack. Made from 100% recycled plastic trash, mined from landfills, I'm eliminating the need for America to use new or used cardboard boxes when they pack and move anything. I am also very honored to be listed as one of the Top 10 green companies in the world by doing the right thing by delivering environmental consciousness in a box."

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015
    Options

CAMommy - best tip we got for moving the cats to New Zealand (via air - 26 hours in a crate) was to buy the crate(s) well in advance, put a blanket in the crate and some of their toys and leave the crate in the living room or other fave place they like to hang. Leave the door open and let them hang out in the crate so they're used to it. We still have their crates sitting around (not great decor but oh well) with blankets and the crates open and they love sleeping in them. They are much less stressed for all trips, including to the vet.

So you may want to give that a try.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

Good idea KiwiCatMom! I know our cats despise the crates. There is absolute mayhem when we have to get them ready for their annual visit to the vet for vaccines.

I did some digging through all the old photos and found these last few pics of Nicademus. It has been fun sharing them with you!

Nicademus always had to be at the center of my current project. Here I had just unloaded some marigolds for spring planting...

He was always very affectionate with us, with the dog, and even with the other cats...

And even though the pic below looks like a family pic, with one of his progeny in the middle, I can tell you for sure that he was neutered!!! He just took to everyone :)

The black cats in these photos are of Gidget and Tinker. Gidget had been with us and loved for several years, and Tinker had wandered into our farmyard as a very young and obviously abandoned kitten. Some friends asked if they could adopt them to keep at their farm since we already had 2 other cats.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

CAMommy, this is another perspective that I found in the Comments section.

"Ideally, cats should not be in your home while moving out and in -- too much noise, strange people, and too many opportunities for them to escape. When planning a move, it is best to arrange for cats to be boarded (at a relative's, friend's or vet's) from the evening before the move to after you've moved in. I've volunteered in a few shelters, and we get tons of calls from distraught pet owners looking for their escaped cats during moving season."

"Once the cats are in your new home, leave them some room to hide while they're adjusting: under the bed, open closets. Cats hate new places. Familiar things -- their beds, toys -- should be available to them as soon as possible. Oh -- and a catnip party as soon as you've unpacked is a great way to make them feel better about their new surroundings."

I hope I haven't stressed you too much talking about your move!! In the end you will know what the right thing is for your cat tribe on moving day :)

Donna

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited September 2015
    Options

Best wishes with your move CAMommy. Dusty looks pretty calm. Be sure to keep him locked in for 2/3 weeks after moving. The confining initially to a single room in the house during upheaval suggested above is a good plan.

Raggs is a stunner.

Nicademus was a wonderful cat.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited September 2015
    Options

Where in Florida are you moving to?

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015
    Options

we are moving to Cape Coral. My parents live on Pine Island and need us closer. We have 3 kitties so this will be a challenge. I plan to put the kitties in an empty room here while the movers are here on Wednesday. We are staying two more nights (on air mattresses) at our house so I can finish treatment. We will let kitties out of the room but not out the house. Then on Friday, into the crates they go for the trip. The airline won't allow anything in the crafe except a blanket, and we can't medicate or catnip-inate the kitties. I have two that pee in the crate every single time. I bought puppy pee pads for them. My hope is to stick them in the crate, let them pee their little hearts out, and somehow magically change the pee pad before we go and give them their blankets. Dusty, the good boy, just chills in his crate. Starkist and Ralphie think we are killing them. We have to go to the vet today to get their health certificates so we will get a trial run. We have a bigger crate for Starkist because she is very difficult to get into the typical kitty crate. Sheholds on to the outsides of them.

• wren44
    edited September 2015
    Options

I'll bet they get in that crate willingly at the vet when it's time to go home.

• spookiesmom
    edited September 2015
    Options

Swiped from another forumimage

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

Lily and Joey

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

Lily when she was a lot younger, and Gidget.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options
  • Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited September 2015
    Options

Some of your guy's pictures are making me want to paint them! Do you care if I borrow the photo's, and make a small painting of some of them?

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015
    Options

kitties survived their vet trip. They even calmed down and Mr. Ralph was all swag coming out of and back into his crate at the vet. He even took a treat from the vet. Dusty was shy and Starkist was her typical self. She peed in the crate <_<.

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

That's great CAMommy. You have encouraged me to get our 3 cats vaccinated this week, if I can get an appointment. I've been procrastinating because I really do dread the whole process. And I know the cats do too. One of mine even gifted me with a #2 deposit in the crate!!

Will be thinking of you this week as you move on Wednesday and finish up your treatment! Us women always do it somehow, honestly. Hoping you will feel a greater sense of closure as you descend on Florida :)) Keep us posted if you able!

• Donna-Dew
    edited September 2015
    Options

Tomboy if you like any of my photos feel free to use them for your paintings.

• KiwiCatMom
    edited September 2015
    Options

CAMommy - another tip: buy some puppy training pads and line the bottoms of the crates with them, under the blanket. They'll help sorb up any liquids. :

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015
    Options

You did NOT just bring out that crate again did you?

• CAMommy
    edited September 2015
    Options

yep we've got puppy pads. Starkist peed on it and then kicked it into a ball in the back of the crate. My hope is on move day to get her to pee before we leave then give her a fresh pad right before we drop her at the cargo load. They have a special climate controlled area for pets.

• wren44
    edited September 2015
    Options

If anyone doesn't have their cat microchipped, please do that. It's heartbreaking to watch people look for their cat that was always inside until it ran out for some unknown reason. A chip means a longer hold to trace the owner and a registered letter if the owner can't be reached by phone.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited September 2015
    Options

I don't know if you have something called "Rescue Remedy" in the US. I moved my poor cat, 2 ferry rides & 8 hours in a carrier stuffed under a fully loaded car, after having given her a few drops of this. Before you lynch me for kitty abuse, we didn't plan to have her like that for that long, but we missed the ferry & the day just became never ending.

Here in Canada you can get RR at a health food store or most pet stores. It's safe to give, it's kind of like ativan for pets & people. I would put a couple of drops on a treat & she would eat that & it would just make her mellow. I used it to take her to the vet's too.

• spookiesmom
    edited September 2015
    Options

Bach Flower Rescue Remedy. Good stuff!! I've used it for my dogs.