Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS- Lets make an art gallery!

Comments

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 515
    edited July 2019

vampeys, great quilts. Ive made 100s but never in response to cancer or anything elsetragic in this world. I bet they were very therapeutic for you.

GAILMARY

• sm627
    sm627 Member Posts: 142
    edited July 2019

Vampeyes I love the quilts you made your step dad it sure does show all of his wonderful interests and personalty too. I can see all the love you put into making this to honor him. What are you going to do with the second quilt?

Hugs

• vampeyes
    vampeyes Member Posts: 523
    edited July 2019

Gailmary - It was hard to make the quilts, I did the tops back in December and cried a lot while doing it. Do you quilt your own? The breast cancer quilt I did as a Quilt as you go, the rest I have taken to a longarm quilter. I find I have trouble trying to do them on my little machine.

sm627 - I plan to keep the other one. I was thinking I am going to need another quilt rack if I keep anymore quilts that I make, running out of room! haha

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited July 2019

Vampeyes, fabulous idea with the t-shirt quilt (and that comes from the wife of a Tar Heel 😁)! That is such a beautiful way of using his favourite t-shirts and honouring him at the same time.

• gailmary
    edited July 2019

yes i quilt my own. I've made a few hundred quilt tops. I started hand quilting 35 yrs ago but now use my longarm. I dont do quilts for competition. I teach so some for class samples and others for donation for the group of ladies I lead at church.

Talk about ruunung out of room to store them! I just got my Second free standig double clothes rack from a store closing. Both racks are full. I plan to put some for sale on facebook or etsy soon.

GAILMARY

• vampeyes
    edited July 2019

Feeling feeline - thank you, there are definitely lots of memories in those quilts.

Gailmary - I would love to see pictures of some that you have done! Two full racks, my goodness that is a lot of quilts! I just started my next project, I have a couple tractor panels I am turning into lap quilts.

• gailmary
    edited July 2019

vampeyes. Those panels are attractive- either cute or beautiful and you can do so much with them. I started quilting before the were available much. I use the rotary cutter to cut an assortment of squares triangles etc and machine piece, then machine quilt. I like traditional styles and some modern.

This is my latest. A little more work than I usually do anymore. Most people prefer something simpler.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited July 2019

The one on the wall is so intricate! Beautiful and deserving such a great spot.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558
    edited July 2019

Beautiful work!! Wow!

• vampeyes
    edited July 2019

Gailmary - Wow! Did you paper piece those? The detail and precision, I wish i had your talent!

• gailmary
    edited August 2019

thank you all. I should have marked thread as a favorite.

No vampeyes it is not paper pieced. I am an expert piecer after making dozens a year for over 30 years. It is my own design

I found a star pattern i liked then modified it and added borders of my choice. Paper piecing it would have been far more challenging for me.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited August 2019

Feathered star is on my “someday” list. I still get frustrated with my inaccuracy. I DO like paper piecing and might could manage that. I have too many UFOs right now

• gailmary
    edited August 2019

Melissa, paper piecing is great for you then if you have trouble with accuracy. I dont know that there is a paper pieced feather star pattern though. Could always start it and just ex pect to rip those bad seams. You might actually get better working on a challenging piece. Thats coming from a 30 year quilting teacher.

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2019

(using fade-away marker to mark it up before applying the copper colour on reverse)

(Silk Painting. Love cats so any excuse to put a cat in there somewhere 🐱)

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2019

No cat in this one though. 🦎

• vampeyes
    edited September 2019

Those are beautiful Feelingfeeline!

• gailmary
    edited September 2019

so pretty. Looks like fun too.

• PoseyGirl
    PoseyGirl Member Posts: 298
    edited September 2019

Hi all,

It’s so nice to see all of these really pretty pieces, and such diversity! I have been wool painting (felting) and here are some of my pieces ;).

imageimageimageimageimageimage

• gailmary
    edited September 2019

More fun. I'm sure glad somebody can do that which I cant. Miss Posey, they're just beautiful.

Gail

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited September 2019

Posey, They're wonderful. You just be a really patient person. I do watercolor because I'm not.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558
    edited September 2019

Such beautiful work! So impressive All of you!

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2019

Wow Posey, beautiful. All so strongly suggestive of seasons. Can feel the dew on the web and the wind in the branches!

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,502
    edited September 2019

PoseyGirl, they are great!! Well done!!

• PoseyGirl
    PoseyGirl Member Posts: 298
    edited September 2019

Thank you ladies :). I don't think water colours are any easier than the wool painting. I love water colour pieces! For some reason, though, it never attracted me in terms of being a medium for me. But I just love love looking at them.

• vampeyes
    edited September 2019

Posey those are fabulous! Love them!

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,173
    edited September 2019

Such amazing artists here! I have recently fallen in love with girih, Persian geometric art. Even though it is more commonly found in architecture or tiles, I love the look for paints too.

• feelingfeline
    edited September 2019

Glorious!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited September 2019

wow! On the felting! And on the painting too! Just wow

• vampeyes
    edited September 2019

Wow! That is georgous Mirandra.

• MzzHope
    MzzHope Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2019

I love this thread! Seeing everyone’s creativity is inspiring.I am an amateur nature photographer. This hobby especially brought me serenity and joy during treatment.image