Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dogs, dogs, dogs!

Options

Comments

• goldie63
    goldie63 Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2016
    Options

I love all the sweet pics

• PKWGA
    PKWGA Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2016
    Options

Without my dogs...My house would be clean, my wallet would be full, but my heart would be empty.

I read that somewhere and it sums up how I feel.

• tessu
    tessu Member Posts: 1,294
    edited November 2016
    Options

I honestly would never have survived chemo without my sweet toller-doggy by my side. If we're lucky, she'll celebrate her 13th birthday on Christmas Eve. Poor baby has mild congestive heart failure and increasingly bad spinal stenosis, which has severely weakened her back legs so stairs are impossible without help, and on slippery floors her legs go out from under her :( But her pain meds work. And although we've had to trade long energetic walks for more sedate strolls through the parks and the woods, she still definitely enjoys life :):):) My soulmate :):):)

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited November 2016
    Options

tessu: what a sweet face and you are so fortunate to have her as your soulmate.

• Lvbugs
    Lvbugs Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2016
    Options

• rpoole1962
    rpoole1962 Member Posts: 386
    edited November 2016
    Options

BosomBlues, the pain is so real and I don't think it will ever go away. I have not got another dog because it's too soon and don't want to feel like I'm replacing Freeway and Baby. But on the other hand, I would like to rescue a dog in need! I want to rescue a dog who is several years old and show him/her what it is like to be truly loved. There are so many that need that! But your right....sometimes the bond is just meant to be. And I was meant to rescue both Freeway & Baby and our bond was unbelievable!

Tessa, What a sweet baby! I hope she will be with you for years to come. I have read where some dogs will hang on as long as they can, because they don't want to leave that one person whom they love so dearly. And I am sure that my Freeway hung on until the very last minute because he didn't want to leave me....and he knew I needed him. He was 17 years old and the average age for his breed was 12-14 yrs. I thought he was so close to dying several times, and he would bounce back. I would tell him how much I needed him and we were both grieving the loss of my other dog Baby who died from cancer. The last 8 months he could only stand with my help. I loved every minute of taking care of him....as he did me all these years.

lvbugs, What an adorable little puppy. And that is a great picture!!

• magiclight
    edited November 2016
    Options

Lvebugd..what is it about puppies and pots? Maybe just the right size and probably smell more earthy than the concrete. My little guy loved to jump in them and settle down.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited November 2016
    Options

Bosum Blues...I think St IV cancer ages us by ONE year for each month we have it. I was Dx'd seven mos ago, and I look like I've aged seven years, so now I look like I'm in my 60s rather than my late 50s.

Also, definitely try fostering for a while. It's not a permanent commitment. When our first English Bulldog passed from cancer in 2009, I wasn't ready to get another dog - it felt like a betrayal of Tiffy's memory. But I had made donations to NorCal Bulldog Rescue over the years, and it was around Christmas time, and lots of Bulldogs had been surrendered to rescue that year. Bulldogs have a LOT of health problems and take a lot of work. People get them as puppies cuz they're the cutest, roly-poly things in the world, but when they get older, that's when the allergies, skin issues, entropic/ectropic eye problems and others kick in.

This one older dog, Maddie, was surrendered because the original owner's mother-in-law moved in w/them and she did NOT like the dog. [I hope that old bitch burns in Hell, BTW cuz Maddie was the sweetest old dog!!!] The rescue coordinator said the man was really torn up when he brought Maddie in, and he tried to delay it as long as he could, but the wife and M-in-L kept nagging at him to turn the dog over. I got a call from the coordinator and she said Maddie was used to being an ONLY dog in a household, so having her in a home with so many other dogs might be too stressful for an older dog. Coordinator figured she would be easy to place with a family w/kids cuz Maddie had been around babies, etc. Could I take her just for the holidays? DH and I thought about it....was it too soon after Tiffy's passing?

In the end, our compassion for this older dog won out. We would be doing a really good deed in taking her in over the holidays, and we'd also have that pitter patter of doggie toes on the hardwood floors for a little while longer. We had her for about a month and a half, and helped place her with a wonderful family. She lived for almost 4 more years because of their loving care, AND we got to take care of her when that family went on vacation ;o).

So, give it a try. Think of it as being one of Santa's helpers, and if it doesn't work out, you can always give the dog back to the rescue organization.

Lita

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,953
    edited November 2016
    Options

Here is my sister's sweet and VERY smart Husky........poor thing, she lives in North Carolina so doesn't get nearly enough cold and snow. I keep telling my sister that they should move out here where we have long, long winters!

• rpoole1962
    edited November 2016
    Options

Ruthbru, Beautiful dog!!

• Lvbugs
    Lvbugs Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2016
    Options

What a beautiful Husky. I had a Husky years ago and she had such a personality. After I lost her it took me a few years to even want another dog. Family convinced me and am now loving my two dogs. One is a rescue and the other a chocolate lab. We got our lab in May as my other dog is nine and I don't know if I could go through another heart break without having another in place

• Chrisesta67
    Chrisesta67 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2016
    Options

My beautiful greyhound, Timothy. A cherished friend and superb morale booster during the days of chemo and radiation!

• rpoole1962
    edited November 2016
    Options

Timothy is adorable!!!

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    edited November 2016
    Options

S'more believes anyone on the couch is in need of a snuggle.

• Loveroflife
    Loveroflife Member Posts: 4,243
    edited November 2016
    Options

Awwwww

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited December 2016
    Options

I spent yesterday with my DD and her family. We went to brunch, played board games and of course, Sweet Pea had a great time with the littles....

Merry Christmas!

• OneBadBoob
    OneBadBoob Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2016
    Options

Here is the addition of my current ittle girll Emily. And hubby!

And here she is doing her therapy work!

And my beloved Betsy dearly departed,who actually diagnosed my breast cancer by pawing and chewing on my breast and sending me to the doctor.

Just had to add her diva picture!

• OneBadBoob
    OneBadBoob Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2016
    Options

• lekker
    lekker Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2016
    Options

Emily has a huge smile on her face in the therapy picture. Adorable

• cuddyclothes
    cuddyclothes Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2016
    Options

Oh my goodness...I haven't been on here for a while, and this forum is bringing such a smile to my face! OneBabBoob, thanks for posting that vid of Emily!! And everyone else!

Here's a more recent photo of Fletcher, my minpin. This September we went to Central Park to meet some other people. As soon as I lay down, he jumped up and "claimed" me.

• ruthbru
    edited December 2016
    Options

That is a wonderful story.

• ruthbru
    edited December 2016
    Options

Here's Stella the Grand-puppy enjoying her first winter.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,425
    edited December 2016
    Options

Love these dog photos and here is one that is on our Christmas card his year, my 17 year old and our border collie Roo (rarely will she look at the camera, very stubborn):

• bikefam
    bikefam Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2016
    Options

Here's one of my favorite photos. I call it "Five Dogs Thanksgiving". It was at Thanksgiving five years ago. Two Goldens are my daughters (Blue and Maize) and the three English Cockers are ours (Lander, Afton and Chama). Chama is the one with the flying ear. He was a puppy and wouldn't sit still, so we have all of these photos of him bouncing around. The rest are looking at a treat my daughter is holding off camera. Sadly, we lost Lander a few months after this, but he had a good life. Chama is five now, but just as spastic. Still won't sit still. Four of them were together again this year for Thanksgiving.

• magiclight
    edited December 2016
    Options

bikfam: beautiful furry family; sorry for your loss of Lander.

Lilacblu: Not a bad profile shot - sure beats the one everyone gets of a butt shot as exiting when camera clicks.

• michelept
    michelept Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2016
    Options
  • michelept
    michelept Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2016
    Options

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited December 2016
    Options

Oh, the trio is so Cute!

• bikefam
    bikefam Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2016
    Options

Looks like they are all waiting for a treat.

• rpoole1962
    edited December 2016
    Options

Wow! Amazing that she caught your breast cancer. I also heard dogs could smell it. So glad your fur child did. Very cute dogs!