Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Medical Marijuana

Options

Comments

• Krish17
    Krish17 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi all, it feels great to see all of you so kind and supportive. I have my mother suffering from breast cancer Stage IV Mets. Pardon my writeup since i am not much into the medical terms and still a bay here. I am writing my families experience here with a hope to get some feedback and suggestions.

She was diagnosed with mets in chest,lungs,throat & adrenal gland when we first knew of it and she was on chemotherapy the first time. Results were very good after Chemo and the throat and adrenal gland showed no trace after that. Breast cancer tumor decreased in size and lung cancer cells showed not much activity after Chemo. Then the oncologist suggested Herceptin (Once started has to be taken for 18 times with a gap of 3 weeks/ dosage).First 6 dosages of herceptin were happy days for us. then we had the LV Disfunction (Left Ventruculum of heart not functioning as expected) and OC said it's a side effect of herceptin (when i say herceptin, she was given this Trastuzumab Injection 440mg). Then we had to stop herceptin for time being . In November, the cancer peeked into Brain. and we have to go through Radiation as the tumor was 33*26 in size. That's when we came to know that this Trastuzumab medicine, won't reach brain because of the Blood Brain Barrier, which won't allow any other chemical to get into it. We had to get the Radiation therapy for the Brain tumor and the tumor reduced to 14*12 now which is some good news. We did try Xeloda since Trastuzumab Injection is having an impact on heart and that's the worst time my mother had to go through. she was not able to eat, sleep and was hospitalized for 10 days and had to feed her through selines and she stood back on her legs after 10 days. Even though using Xeloda we had very good response in keeping cancer cells weak, we had to see the worst days of treatment in my mother's case. So OC suggested back on to Trastuzumab Injection which was working fine earlier. Now she had Trastuzumab Injection again 2 weeks back and for the past 1 week, she is having full of drowsiness and sleep all day and n8. she hardly is able to sit in her chair for about 1 to 1.5 hr/ day and the rest she is lying on her bed. OC says could be because she has thyroid and we had her tested and the reports are negative. so not sure what's going inside her.

Now that we have tried all options, we wanted to try THC:CBD or RSO.I did read lot of positive vibes using these from @Lita57, @Nan812. I did a lot of research online and did see lot of videos from Rick Simpson saying that Low CBD and High THC has worked in most of the cases. Although, Cancer cells are unique in each and every single patient and the treatment varies from person to person, i want to try with this for my mother to start with. Please advise, i want my mother to have some quality life if not years at least for rest of the months she has. You all ROCK and thank you every one for sharing all your experiences.

• Nan812
    Nan812 Member Posts: 224
    edited February 2017
    Options

hi Krish, I'm so sorry your family is going thru this right now...I know how heartbreaking this is. Many on here are using MM (medical marijuana) for sleep issues and other side effects from the poison that saves our lives and it works exceptionally well for that. I have been using RSO to help hold back my cancer since I was DX. This may be a coincidence but I have surprised my MO and my RO with how long I have been off chemo (11-2015 last dose)...I really hope it lasts, I've had a good run :) the formulation that works for me is 3/4 part indica THC Rick Simpson Oil to 1/4 CBD oil from MM (not rope hemp) taken together the CBD will prevent you from feeling as buzzed as the THC alone. CBD alone helps a lot with pain among other things. Together they work for me. Speak with someone who knows their stuff and remember to always start out VERY small ( half a grain of rice ) wait at least 2 hours for any effects ( it's happened to me ). So if nothing else there is a laundry list of side effects that will be greatly eased by responsible use and I wish you all the luck. I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have :)

• beautifulbooks
    beautifulbooks Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2017
    Options

Nan812: Excellent advice! So happy you have controlled the cancer. I notice you are TNBC ~~ results are looking promising with high-THC, especially combined with some of the pharma meds/chemo for TNBC. I have been deeply researching BC, cannabis-based medicines and what data I can find about combining it with conventional meds. Always happy to see good news, but also glad to learn about challenges.

• beautifulbooks
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Krish ~~ so sorry your mom is going through this. If I am understanding correctly, your mom has ER- BC? This is important in trying to figure out THC:CBD amounts. Generally speaking going with a high-CBD oil and using THC or THCA (raw form which is not as psychoactive) in equal or less parts is looking safer, especially with mets. Lots of ladies are reporting the CBD is helping a lot with pain, inflammation and anxiety. The pre-clinical studies are all showing lots of potential powerful benefits in that CBD also is anti-cancer, causes apoptosis, reduces angiogenesis (new blood supply to tumors), reduces swelling and more. And, THC, THCA and CBD all cross the blood-brain barrier. I am a nurse so will always recommend you consult with a doctor or nurse practitioner. They need to consider drug interactions because CBD will usually inhibit or slow the CYP450 enzyme metabolism and clearance of many oral medications and this just needs to be considered and monitored. Older people will normally use less cannabinoid than someone younger, but still get the benefits. Let me know if I can help further. I have been researching deeply and helping provide educational materials to patients so they can consider for themselves, and hopefully with their healthcare team. If you do NOT have a doctor or nurse practitioner who understands cannabis as medicine you can always contact folks who do that. Examples are Aunt Zeldas (I like Dr. Joe Goldstrich), Eloise at Green Health Consultants, or many others. You do not have to live there or buy products from them. They do distance consults over phone or Skype. Wishing you all the best! There is also a Fighting Breast Cancer with Cannabis group on FB that lots also go to to share information. I would like to make sure we can also share good information here too ~~ not trying to send you somewhere else ;)

• beautifulbooks
    edited March 2017
    Options

A Guy: I know this is really late and may be past the time you need the info but ~~~ please do not think you need a perfect one plant product solution Get a high-THC option and a high-CBD option and mix to achieve the milligram ratio you are striving for. This allows you to have freedom to adjust. Getting the perfect ratio from one plant is not necessary.

• beautifulbooks
    edited March 2017
    Options

Lita57: Please remember that she recommended that as a target ~~ many people never need to go that high. You work your way to where you are getting the response you want. I think I know who you talked to and she is usually good. Also, you should not have to pay more than 10 cents per milligram. This is why so many who are using bigger doses use the concentrated FECO (full-extract cannabis oil) as it will usually have 600-800 mg THC or CBD in each gram/ml syringe. Easy to take sublingually and swallowed after a few minutes. Very concentrated so starting to figure out how many milligrams you can tolerate (THCA is easier than THC) with a tincture or oil first allows you to make small dose adjustments. After that, if you have lab-tested FECO it is easy to figure out how many milligrams are in each 1/10 of the 1 ml syringe and use the proper doses. And it is a lot cheaper than the diluted options. Hoping for an update ~~

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited March 2017
    Options

Still hoping to get better sleep than I am now. Usually go to sleep just fine, but wake up, sometimes cannot get back to sleep. Finished TC chemo late October 2016, DBL mastectomy no recon late Nov. DR has rx'd AI, Arimidex. Picked it up but have not started it. Still looking for that baby sleep and might try to get something in a legal state. Any suggestions? Also some have told me oils can help in surgery areas. Not sure if Melatonin really works for me or not. Have tried both supplements as well as a NASA sleep promoting red lightbulb http://www.hammacher.com/Product/88307?promo=search&cmp=cel&trigger=ac&query=Nasa . Don't think Valerian (in herbal teas) helps much

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited March 2017
    Options

Blue Girl:

Does your tea contain dried Valerian only (from the health food store bulk section)? I steep a tablespoon of dried valerian till it's strong. On top of that, 20 mg of melatonin nightly and a couple hits of MMJ.

• BlueGirlRedState
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thank you Garden Gyspy. Have not tried straight Valerian, will have to look for it. It was one of the ingredients in an herbal tea, Celestial Seasonings, I think, so maybe not very strong. Do have the 20mg melatonin, might try again. MMJ - any particular kind. Seems to be discussion of Indica vs sativa, as well as THC vs CBD. Any thoughts. Sometimes I might want a high, but probably not most of the time.

• BlueGirlRedState
    edited March 2017
    Options

So THC drives up estrogen production? This could very well interfere with hormonal therapy. There was some discussion about Tamoxefen, Any discussion about AIs, such as arimidex? Also saw tumeric flagged as a concern. I have been using this for years , eithe ras spice added to food, or Curamin supplement, and list it with supplements I take, no DRs have mentioned a concern. Did they miss something or is this one of the many frustrating conflicting expert opinions?

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited March 2017
    Options

Blue, I'd go with indica rather than sativa. Indica is more relaxing and it doesn't make you paranoid.

Also go with a strain that's weighted higher in cbd's. Thc is what makes you high. If you have pain, Thc-a is not as psychoactive as thc.

I don't vape that much because it bothers my throat. I use tinctures and edibles.

Sadly out here in California, we've just heard about pesticide contaminated product. I'm quite concerned about that. Guess I may have to start growing my own.

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    edited March 2017
    Options

Bluegirl, yes, there seems to be some connection between THC and estrogen production, but I've tried exhaustively to find out how much is dangerous for those of us ER+, and can't find an exact amount. My naturopath has also done some pretty detailed research and can't find a safe amount to use, either.

I buy valerian extract from my natural food store--it's suspended in alcohol, and comes in dropper type delivery, and mix it in a glass of water. The stuff smells awful but it seems to the best way for it to work for relaxation for me.

I gave up on the MM for now, since I'm fearful of driving my ER+ status. I was like 1000% ER +, and realize I've been that way for most of my life since early puberty.

Claire in AZ

• Lita57
    edited March 2017
    Options

Claireinaz, I respect your tenacity in researching ER+ and THC. If valerian works for you, I say right on!

I guess it depends what stage you're at.

Being Stage 4, I have to do whatever it takes to retain a somewhat acceptable QOL, and opioid pain killers don't do much for my deep bone pain. MM helps me. Having consulted a former nurse practitioner who advises people on MM, she says to try and stay between 10 and 20 mgs a day for pain relief, management of anxiety, and sleep. (Repeating this for the new people.) Anything over 30-40 mgs/day is getting up there and could affect ER receptors. Always wait at least a couple of hours after chemo before taking your "dose" (or take it a couple of hours before) so it won't compete with the chemo for liver pathways. The liver can only handle/process so much at a time.

For me every day it's a question of "do I want to 'use' and have a decent, relatively pain-reduced day, but die a little sooner?" or "do I want to limit ER+ feeders and live a little longer, but have crappy days for that whole time?"

It's the same thing with wine. I do not drink anything during my "on cycle" weeks with Xeloda, but on my "off cycle" weeks, I'll have a couple of glasses of wine. Certainly not every day during that week, but maybe once or twice. And I buy the good stuff now. I don't drink the cheap, summer patio wine any more. I savor a high-quality Chardonnay, or if it's a really nice Zinfandel, I'll have a tiny piece of dark chocolate with it.

I don't know how many more months I have, but I'm going to try and enjoy them. And I'm gonna get my patio fixed up - the concrete is cracked and spalled and should have been replaced years ago. It's at the top of the list now, so I'll get it done and enjoy sitting out there again.

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    edited March 2017
    Options

Lita, our journeys are like that, right? e.g., do I worry about taking Advil PM every night, because it seems to be linked to some dementia in some subjects over time (subjects over the age of 65 or so?) or do I get good sleep and hope that I'm not one of those in the percentage range? I say good quality sleep is the most healing thing we can do, and so I get good quality sleep most of the time with my concoction of melatonin, advil pm. valerian and trazadone. Yes, all that just to sleep. I suffer from anxiety which lately has gotten worse, so when I do wake up I'm immediately anxious and can't get back to sleep. Taking aromasin also doesn't help my sleep patterns either, and I've been a wakeful sleeper for years and years.

However I think I'm ready to buy more MM and use it from time to time since it's been over a month since I've stopped using it and am hoping my MM clock has been "reset" now. I'm hoping that not using weed every night or even every other night, but just every so often, will help balance out any overuse of the Advil PM and perhaps keep me from getting to the point where I did before--where the MM didn't work.

What a life we all live with this bc crap. Find a good quality of life and stick with it, and to hell with all the "maybe" warnings that we all hear, I say. I've been avoiding soy like the plague for years since the dx and now find out that it seems not to be so unsafe at all. As a vegetarian I was glad to hear that, but frustrated that I could have eaten a little soy all this time and was trying to protect myself.

You know what I mean....ack.

Claire

• Lindalou
    Lindalou Member Posts: 598
    edited March 2017
    Options

I have a question. MM is illegal in my state but soon legislation should pass for CBD oil without THC. I was able to testify and tell my metastatic breast cancer story and voice my approval of the bill. The problem is I can't readily get CBD oil. Now to find it and get the proper ratio. Ideas?

Krish, I don't live far from Madison...do you have access to CBD oil?

beautiful, I will look up your references, but welcome any advice.

• Lita57
    edited March 2017
    Options

LInda, some dispensaries ship across state lines and others won't. Postal Service is federal, and mm is still federally illegal. Dispensaries who do ship will use "private" shipping companies.

• Lindalou
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks Lita. How do I find out who ships with private companies?

• Lita57
    edited March 2017
    Options

They will usually say how and where they ship on their website. If that doesn't work, you may have to call them.

Specifically look for suppliers of cbd oils. I've ordered stuff in the mail, and the only thing I've had to do was scan my medical marijuana license over to them.

A reputable supplier may ask for a license or a prescription from a Dr. They have to protect themselves too.

• Lilo
    Lilo Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hello, I have been following your posts for some time. I was diagnosed in Oct, had BMX in Dec and now going thru chemo because of lymph node involvement. Before my DX I was a regular MMJ user for sleep and anxiety. Since my DX and Chemo I have stopped MMJ and drinking. I will admit I am super afraid because of the estrogen scare and wonder if my previous use, alcohol consumption and overweight problem contributed to my DX. My husband is a regular MMJ for back pain and has started using a salve. I would love to start again but am so confused on the CBD-THC ratio. Someone even suggested a pill.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • Lita57
    edited April 2017
    Options

Think I found a good combo for people who are getting sick of brownies. Oatmeal dark chocolate chip cookies with lots of cinnamon and a dash of cloves to disguise the taste. Ratio of homemade cannabutter to unsalted butter is 2 to 1. You could use any strain of MM in these. I prefer less thc, but these were made with OG Kush, a hybrid that yields very mellow, pain-reducing results.

PM me if you'd like the recipe.

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Good work, Lita!!
  • Lindalou
    edited April 2017
    Options

Lita, since I can't get MM, I vote you mail me a dozen!!

• Nan812
    Nan812 Member Posts: 224
    edited April 2017
    Options

i have found that peanut butter cookies disguise the taste very well. use your fav reciepe just swap out the reg butter. rice crispy treats are very yummy also, i used frosted flakes instead of rice crispies so maybe it was all the sugar that made it taste so good. you can infuse into coconut oil to use on your skin, i havent tried olive oil yet, but im sure it would be great for cooking especially with garlic in there. i think i should try to grow some this summer so i can get alot to cook with. the cost of my rso every month makes it difficult to get extra just to cook with. i wish i lived near you lita...saw your garden pics and im so jealous that spring has touched your garden already. playing in the dirt is my favorite hobbie. I'm praying we get to enjoy our favorites for many more seasons.

• Connie101
    Connie101 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2017
    Options

saw recently on fb where a mom did just what you are thinking of doing for her son, docs gave kid only weeks to live, he was basically dead, mom cooked up a batch of illegal tincture of the mmm, it worked, the kid was on a British talkshow, talking about it, maybe you could Google that,and find out how she did it, good luck!!!

• Connie101
    edited April 2017
    Options

I live in pa. There is a farmers market close by that sells cannabis oil,don't know the details, maybe I should get some. All I know is I'm sick of femara, makes my feet burn, since starting this stuff, I've had, severe leg cramps at night,to the point I can't get them to stop, hair brittle and thin, can't walk like I used too, plantar facetious, retinal detachment, I can't blame it all on the ai, but I was healthy before.

• Connie101
    edited April 2017
    Options

Im ready to take death, as opposed to this life of worry and pills.

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited April 2017
    Options

Connie101, I hear you loud and clear. If Femara causes me these problems, I'll drop it like a hot potato. And use CBD oil and marijuana for sure. I'm moving to Denver, and that will make it much easier to obtain, although I've had ways to get it in my illegal state. One year of side effects while undergoing primary treatment is enough for one lifetime. Five years? No

• BlueGirlRedState
    edited April 2017
    Options

Lita57 , Recipe please, also for the Cannibutter. I was not able to get some of the products I was hoping for (rick simpson oil, tinctures, pills. Prefer not to smoke/vape. Have to travel about 1 1/2 hrs to the nearest. Store switch from medical to recreational and for some reason had to pull all medical. Bought Weed recommended for its THC/CBD, relaxing vs high. Tried to make tea last night. Maybe some relaxation, but felt kind of groggy this morning.

• Wakhani
    Wakhani Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017
    Options

My mother has ER+ breast cancer and we are looking for a reliable brand/dispensary for cannabis oil (not hemp oil) which has high CBD (and comparatively very low THC) strain. We are not picky about the state (it can be in California, Colorado, Oregon or Washington). Does anyone know a good dispensary or store in any of these places?