Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting chemo August 2016?

Comments

• Kz1966
    Kz1966 Member Posts: 40

Darab-I just got the bangs. Haven't received them yet but excited to try. There are so many cute options, it's overwhelming lol.

• ElizabethAM
    ElizabethAM Member Posts: 202

Dara -- I suffer from chronic dry eye.. That is a low level of the Lipid layer that keeps the eye moist. When you are missing that layer, the eye will produce an over abundance of tears to keep the eye moist. It is a real pain. So look in the drug store, for an eye drop that is the Lipid layer and not just a tear and that should help.

Annie -- I hope things get better very soon. and good luck with the babe... I love babies.

Kechia -- I am in the same boat. Are you taking the Neulasta? Maybe they need to increase the dosage, ask your MO.

Kz1966 -- You go girl... Wear it proud. Bald is Beautiful.

Hope -- Good Luck with the hockey. Just don't over do it... We seem to be on the same schedule... Are you going to be doing the Taxol after the AC?

Today was my 3rd session... So far so good. I have joined the Big D club... it is an SE from the antibiotics they gave me last weekend and I finished on Wednesday morning. So far I am taking Imodium for it, but it doesn't seem to really be doing much. I have been eating yogurt to try and repopulate the bacteria in the colon.. Guess my next move is to try BRAT...

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894

BRAT? bananas, and??...

• ElizabethAM

Dara --- Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. There is also a page on how to eat when you have the SE of D --http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/during_treat/side_effects/diarrhea

• darab

Thanks, I'd always heard ABC when the kids were little. (C was carrots) I like BRAT better! I'm loading up on the yogurt as well.

• Bani1978
    Bani1978 Member Posts: 1

I had the surgery on 8/1 very smooth and easy double mastactomy with diep flap

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,462

Welcome, Bani1978! We hope you're recovering well!

The Mods

• darab

Welcome Bani! I'm impressed that you had both the surgery and the flap already. Hope your recovery is quick.

I'm kinda going nuts with my eyes twitching, both eyes, both upper and lower lids almost nonstop. There is an inactive thread on this site that has many women who did TC chemo who said they've had the same problem. Anyone else here finding that SE? At least I know it's not just me.

• Jiffrig
    Jiffrig Member Posts: 158

I am the same way, Dara, I have kind of a strange se also, my ears itch to where I think I am going crazy! MO said just an allergic reaction I have to something in one of the drugs. I guess we all have some predisposition to different triggers. Hope it's better with taxol. Of course, that will be a whole new set of craziness! Had 3 days of such low bp that I could not lift my head more than 45 degrees with feeling as if I was going to black out. Of course, like a dummy, I kept taking my diuretic ( which I take for borderline high bp)!

• jandjmom
    jandjmom Member Posts: 40

I am impressed (is that the right word?) that several of you are going out and about during nadir. I'm too paranoid about getting sick because I didn't stay home. Plus the big D is keeping me close to a toilet, regardless. I dropped my boys off for a Troop camp out and said hello to some people. I normally would have gone (I love camping with the Scouts), but figure my digestive system nor my immune system would tolerate the 5 hour drive nor the natural (read primitive) setting. My blood count did come back fine for all cell types, so I guess I don't need to be so careful, but I will anyway. Doctor didn't say anything, but the literature they gave said to avoid crowds and sick people during that time.

Day 13 and my hair is intact. It should be any day now, right?

• ajbclan
    ajbclan Member Posts: 396

Hi JandJmom- I'm on day 18, had cut my hair to a pixie before first treatment. Still have my hair BUT was literally going to have my friend shave it last night, but when I told my husband he said to wait- he had a surprise dinner reservation for us tonight (I don't think he's ever made a reservation, nor do we eat out much ever!). So holding on another day lol. I'd say day 16 the shed started, so it just gets annoying dropping hair everywhere. I'm not sure I want the husband taking the beard trimmer to my head- not sure how well that will go, but don't know when my hairdresser friend will be available, so I'm in limbo now! I just am not touching my head much haha.

• JanetCO
    JanetCO Member Posts: 11

Hi ajbclan and jandjmom,

My hair started falling out to the day of week 3 after first chemo. I had it cut in a pixie 4 days before it started falling out. I decided it was easier to let the inch hair fall out than shave it and have a bunch of itchy stubbles on me. It has been almost 4 weeks and I still have some even though I was leaving a toupe a day in my shower drain. Getting very thin now though.
    Started wearing hats as soon as it started falling out so I didn't shed all over the place. Nice to have figured out how to chat and nice chatting with ya'll!

I

• JanetCO
    JanetCO Member Posts: 11

Hi Kechla,

I had to have neupogena after my 2nd infusion. I had the nuelasta the day after chemo but at 1 week check my WBC was still very low. I also had a sore tonsil so I got an antibiotic too because one time it absessed. The next day I had to go in and get rechecked count was up to normal. My oncologist said it must have been combo because one shot of nuepogena wouldn't have fixed it.

• barbarau55
    barbarau55 Member Posts: 14

My dear friends on this unfortunate road right now: I so enjoy (and sympathize, if that fits better) reading about how your journey is going.

A friend who walked this road 3 years ago brought me the most amazing treat. I want to share it with you (maybe I'm way behind on this). Blue Bunny brand sherbet cups. They come 10 in a package - the one she brought me, anyway! They are "swirled" with different flavors so they are both delicious and beautiful! Eaten with a plastic spoon, I can almost forget my troubles. Let me know if any of you are already on to this treat -- as well as those who give it a try!

These are the last few days of my 2nd round. I fought the battle with the "Puke Faerie" this round and won. So my earlier days were better in that regard. Now there are new battles to wage. I am SO TIRED! I don't know how you younger ladies with families/children do it, and how anyone trying to work manages. My hat is off to you -- oops, no, I'd rather keep one on these days. =D But the fatigue is just overwhelming. I am a doer so this is so confining. Looking at 4 more months of it leaves me bewildered. I feel totally useless. I suppose everyone got the same information regarding SEs: there's something for everything but the FATIGUE!.

My other big issue in the past week has been mouth sores. I have to admit I did not do the "3 x a day rinse" like I was advised (by my friend) and now I'm paying the price. I have 3 fingernail size "canker sores" on the left side of my throat starting just behind my wisdom tooth and my tongue has a few "hotspots." I started the rinse three days ago. I will continue it.

I am fortunate to already have in my arsenal the "magic mouth" stuff. I had canker sores that popped up right after my port was placed because mid-surgery I went from a MAC (monitored anesthesia) to general which requires the mouth/breathing tube apparatus Everywhere it touched "skin" left a whopper canker sore.

This little fiasco and coming down with a fullblown "sinus infection/cough/fever/just feeling horrible" delayed my first Chemo by a week. I was given the Magic Mouth mixture which is 1: Lidocaine 1: Benadryl 1: Mylanta. It masks the pain, rather than completely alleviates it. but it does help. (I think I got sick because of the stress, the new diagnosis, not sleeping well, trips back and forth for tests/appointments etc. It'a a three hour one-way drive to the cancer center/breast care center/etc ) The body can only hold up so long before something gives. I hated not starting treatments on time but I think it was a good decision looking back now.

My labs this week were horrible--so much that I need lots of improvement to do the next one. I go Monday for the lab and then the Onco RN will call that afternoon to tell me if we're a go for Tuesday. Praying I will be. I don't want this to drag out longer than it already looks (for-ever)!

This has kept me shut-in pretty much. Lots of stomach bug going around our little community so my DH's doctor told him at his appointment to consider our home a prison--nobody comes in or goes out, and to speak on cellphones looking through our front glass door! He was really serious. So guess I am, too. That means no church again for us. These people are the ones keeping me going with their prayers so I had to send an email today with my specific "requests" for tomorrow.

Praying for all of you dear ladies,

barbarau55

• Kz1966
    Kz1966 Member Posts: 40

Good morning beauties

Just checking in. Friday and Saturday were definitely my down days. More fatigue than anything else. Only took one pill for nausea. The soreness from neulesta started to feel better last night and woke up this morning much better. I took Aleve pm to help with sleep and only woke up once. Did wake up with a headache but I can deal with that. Hoping today I can get up and move around a bit more.

Get my blood checked on Thursday and hoping white cell count is good so I can go to work. Hate being stuck in the house.

I can honestly say that having my head shaved isn't bothering me at all. That was the one thing I regretted the most but now that it's done, it's just not that important to me.

Wishing everyone a fantastic day!

Hugs to all!

• Leydi
    Leydi Member Posts: 53

Can anyone on AC treatment, receiving Neulasta the following day, advise on when we are expecting to be at our lowest immune response and thus most susceptible to infection/disease? I'm on Day 11 after my first AC treatment and feeling really really good. I want to run around town today with my 16-year-old daughter as I've been promising that we'd go shopping. She actually asked me the other day if we needed to wait until I was through with treatment (months away!) and I almost cried. I so want life to continue as normally as possible for my daughters. They have both been having some emotional reactions/meltdowns recently, related to school/work issues on the surface but I know that stress of my illness on the family must be a component as well.

• darab

Barbara, so sorry for all the issues with SEs. I admire you for using the magic mouthwash. I got it after my first treatment, but gagged so badly when I tried it that I haven't been able to use it since! Did you try sucking on ice chips during infusion? I was advised to do that and it helped with the canker sores; I still got thrush, but it only lasted 4 days. And thanks for the Blue Bunny tip! I hadn't heard of the little cups. After my first infusion with all my mouth issues, I did ask my DH to get some rainbow sherbet and it was the best!

Leydi, I'll let the others chime in who are on AC. I'm on TC and my MO said that days 7-14 we are most vulnerable. Yesterday was day 12 for me, but I still went out to eat with my sister and then to a movie, but I wore a mask in the theater. That's not too bad since one week ago, I was in an ambulance going to ER for multiple side effects. I'm just really careful (at least as much as I can be.) My 3rd week is when I play the most after treatment. That week is coming up so I'm really looking forward to it.

Kz, I'm glad you're OK with your shaved head. I"m the same. I thought it would bother me a lot, but once it happened, I felt it just wasn't that big of a deal. I'm still not to a point of going out with a naked head, but like everything else, the anticipation was worse than reality!

Janet, you've got some pretty strong hair follicles! I started shedding on day 11 and had to buzz it on day 17! I have two wigs now, but find I just can't wear them for very long. The only thing I can handle is scarves because my scalp is still sensitive and anything tight around my head gives me a terrible headache. (I seem to get a lot of headaches anyway.)

One positive SE I've had is that all of my psoriasis is gone! I had to quit my medicine for it when I was diagnosed and thought I'd be miserable. But no, one tiny silver lining for this poison.

Jiffrig, last week my bp in the ambulance was 85/53. I later asked my daughter how low BP can go. She chuckled and said, well, technically I guess it can go to 0! I did lose consciousness several times. This whole journey is pretty iffy at times.

Hope you all have a safe 9/11, such a tragic day. I still remember exactly what I was doing when I saw the towers come down on TV. Take care... Dara

• ElizabethAM

Bani - Welcome to the group... Hope you have an easy journey with us.

KZ - Glad you are feeling better.. Hope the WBC is good and you treatment goes off as scheduled.

barbarau - That is some story. Hope all gets better soon.

Janet -- My hair fell at 3 weeks... in the shower by the handfuls. So I got it shaved. About neupogena I don't know anything about that.

Well this is day 3 after my first session. So far so good... Had some nausea yesterday and took a pill that killed it. Went to bed early and slept the night through... I need to get to get some breakfast and take my meds. Today we are going to my SIL for my hubby's birthday party.

• Jiffrig
    Jiffrig Member Posts: 158

Dara, that is the best about chemo, no psoriasis, I agree! Have you talked to your Derm about what to do after we are done and it comes back? I that I saw where you cannot do biologics if you have had chemo. That's what I was doing before, Remicade

• seq24
    seq24 Member Posts: 451

I actually belong in the September board but I wanted to ask you ladies who have done more than one treatment. I had my first AC treatment on Friday. They handed me this whole list of side effects I would likely have. Nausea, fatigue mouth sores, etc. You know the list. So far I have had nothing. Nothing at all! I am very happy for that, but keep sitting here waiting for something to happen. I feel like a time bomb. I have been taking my nausea medications as instructed, eating light, drinking tons of water and everything I'm supposed to be doing. The only complaint I have is that I wake up dizzy and lightheaded but I'm blaming that on the Ativan I was told to take at bedtime. The compazine I have to take during the day makes me sleepy and I did take nap yesterday. I'm going to try not taking it today and see what happens. My daughter is coming up today and we are going shopping. So my question is this? Is something wrong because I'm not feeling any SE, or is it still coming? The MO told me how you react to your first chemo treatment will be typical of all of them. Have you found this to be true?

• ajbclan

Welcome Bani!

JanetCO- thank you for your feedback on letting the shed go. It's funny this process, and I know we're all different, but trying to figure out if my hair will just continue to thin, or will I have patchy bald spots, things you don't think about. I've always planned to shave, but it's good to know I don't have to rush it!

Barbara55- I read your post this morning, and then what pops up on the TV- Blue Bunny! I love all the tips from everyone! I'm so sorry about you being trapped in the house, and the mouth sores. I took the advice from here and brought ice chips. I was like Dara- thrush, but no sores. I swished something (baking soda/water, salt water, biotene) after each time I ate/drank anything besides water until that thrush was gone.

Kathi- thanks for calling us beauties! That made me smile! Glad you're feeling better.

Leydi- I so feel like you....trying to keep my 13 year olds life as normal as possible! Did you get something along the lines of Nuelesta? I went from not afraid of germs, to feeling weird around any public place. I know some folks here are having issues, so I'm cautious but I am also empowered by the women not letting this stop their lives. I would check in with your MO if you can, and if you get the green light you'll just be more aware of the people around you. I sat down 2 nights to watch my daughter practice volleyball, and I just scanned the people around me. I was prepared to move if anyone started coughing or sneezing. We have a couple of concerts coming up, and i know one is right after my 3rd treatment. It was suppose to be me taking my daughter and friend to her first concert. Makes me cry to think I can't, and then I think of the crowd and germs and not sure if it's even good for me to go. I have the friends mom ready to go as my back up, but chokes me up to think I'll miss this.

Seq24- I felt just like you.....just sitting and waiting for something bad to happen. I felt bad starting day 3, and really didn't feel normal again until maybe day 10. Everyone is different and you worried so much that maybe this is it for you! Take it and don't feel guilty- the meds are working...you're body is handling them well!

I had a great night last night. I mentioned previously that we never go out to dinner (unless there's a coupon involved lol), but we had watched last season of Top Chef on TV. Turns out one of the chefs was local here- and my husband surprised me with my 50th bday dinner at his restaurant. We were doubly lucky he was there....so I wasn't going to miss a chance for a photo (usually I would just sit and watch and never ask lol). Great food, great fun....great way to kick off my 2nd chemo treatment week.

• seq24
    seq24 Member Posts: 451

AJBclan--how did you feel starting on day 3? This is day 3 for me after AC and I was actually going shopping with my daughter this afternoon. Maybe I shouldn't go. I feel like I'm waiting for a time bomb to go off here. Kind of like hearing the Jeopardy music playing over and over in my head waiting for the little bell to ding and here are my SE. I know, bad comparison but I'm crediting it to all the drugs in my system right now.

• ajbclan

Hi Seq24...... I think that's when I started to feel a little tired, battled constipation, throat and mouth issues, and some bone pain. Listen to your body- if you're feeling good why not!

• caligirl55
    caligirl55 Member Posts: 407

Welcome Bani1978... Sorry you have to join us but we are pretty great πŸ’•

I am finding we all have different things pop up as SE ..twitching eyes, itchy ears ... Mine is these darn swollen bumps on my shaved head ... Not sure if I need to have them checked. Can't just pop them πŸ™„

Seq24...take every good day as a gift. Think of the sound of a winning bell not Jeopardy ...lol

barbarau55... As much as you have had going on its best you stay in ... Thank you for the Blue Bunny tip I think those will feel & taste great on my mouth after my next treatment.

We beauties ( I like that Kz1966) must let our bodies be our guides I guess ... Don't over do but when we do get out be extra cautious. I got out a few times yesterday and it felt great ... Went to church with my scarf on and felt great. I wish I could wear my wig but too uncomfortable still.

Happy Sunday! It's a special day to remember in the USA πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ We will never forget

• darab

Kelly, what a great b-day surprise and Happy Birthday, whenever it is! I watch a couple of food network shows like Diners, drive-ins, and Dives, and my DH and I are always looking for some of the restaurants nearby. Then I also watch Worst Cooks in America. Not sure I'd like dinner with one of them! lol.

Cali, I've got a couple of those bumps on my head. I'm not sure if it's an ingrown hair or what. They aren't quite like a pimple though, just are raised up a bit, red, and then go away. I tried putting a tiny bit of neosporin on them and that seemed to help.

As far as activity goes, I just find it hard to do something every day. Yesterday I just loved going to lunch and then went to see the movie Sully. Once the lights went down, I did use a mask in case anyone in the theater was sick. I figured no one saw me that way. I'm probably being silly, but just can't stay constantly. This upcoming week is my week before infusion so I plan to play a whole lot! My DS and family all have "the beginning of school colds," so I'm definitely staying away from them. I just keep washing hands whenever I'm out.

Lori, how's your mom doing? We haven't heard much from you this weekend so figure you're busy with her. Just hope there's no sign of shingles for you! Take care.

• Leydi
    Leydi Member Posts: 53
    darab - Thank you. I'm having dose dense AC which is infused every two weeks so I don't have a week 3 in which to plan outings, unfortunately. That sounds like a good plan though. I'll have to ask my MO specifically which days I should be most cautious being out in public.

ajbclan - Yes, it does sound very similar for you, trying to keep things normal for the family. So sorry that it looks like you'll need to miss the concert. I, too, keep thinking of things we've discussed doing and realizing that if it is done at all, that it will be postponed until next year. My daughters are 16 and 19, though, so I'm also realizing that my time with them full-time at home is pretty limited. I did end up going shopping today and just washing my hands well when we returned home. It was fun but both me and my daughter came home pretty tired. There were naps for all this afternoon.

• nye1980
    nye1980 Member Posts: 15

Leydi, I'm receiving TAC chemo every three weeks, with my GCSF shot the day after. Since I was admitted during nadir after my first infusion, I know that I hit nadir on Day 4-5. So I basically stay at home the first full week after an infusion. (My WBC was lowest on Day 4 and then on the rise the next day. So now my super-relaxed MO only does labs right before the next infusion since each has gone pretty much the same way.)

• CandyHB
    CandyHB Member Posts: 7

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about fatigue. I am just so tired all the time. Today I woke up a little earlier and thought, "Too early, I'm going back to bed." Got up in a couple of hours but I could barely sit at the table. Had some coffee and watched my favorite soap B&B and couldn't wait to go back and lay on the bed. It seems like that is the only comfortable spot for me. Anyone else like this? Then I kind of plod through the day.

Thanks,

• kechla
    kechla Member Posts: 181

candy, have you had labs lately? Maybe your iron or something is low. You and I are on the same schedule and chemo. After about day 10 I felt almost normal (except for thrush and a couple migraines). I still get tired easily, but able to do quite a bit. I drink a LOT. I think that helps.

• ElizabethAM

Levi-- you and I are doing the same one. I have my sessions ever other Friday. I am now in my off week after session 3 of the AC. One more to go then I switch to Taxol. Herceptin will be added at the last Taxtol an continue every 3 weeks for a year along with a hormone treatment that has not yet been determined. Radiation will start shortly after the Taxtol is completed.