Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Comments

• Frill
    Frill Member Posts: 104

Snowflake 7: I am so sorry - I just saw your post about lack of support and your path report. I feel a lack of support, but sometimes I wonder if that's not my fault. It clearly isn't the case with you.

My dx changed soooooooo much that I didn't even know STAGE until this WEEK - a year after my dx. I suspected. I went through and googled and learned all the stuff in that path report that I could. If there are certain things I can help with, I am happy to. I do know that there will probably be some things on yours that won't be on mine because of the differences in stages. I learned that last week because I wanted to know what my oncotype score was. There are some great websites that will walk you through a lot of the information step by step. It's not as good as a family member, but at least the information will be there for you.

*Hugs*

• Sunnyskies2016
    Sunnyskies2016 Member Posts: 4

hello all!

11/33 today - feeling like that is a good milestone, a third of the way there. I spend the waiting time talking to a nice lady in the waiting room who's husband has the appointment before me. Its nice to have someone to pass the time with.

Question for those going thru rads..... feeling good overall, but today woke up with a sore throat/tightness in my lungs, almost hard to take a deep breath. not painful, more noticeable but can't tell if its something related to the changing seasons, or if its a SE from the rads. anyone else experience this? this is the first time I have noticed it.

Otherwise, just really ready for the weekend.... right around the corner! :)

• joyandpiece
    joyandpiece Member Posts: 27

Thank you Marcella, well said!  I love it.  I have also been noticing phenomenal little details that I was too busy to notice before.  Things like a beautiful spider web in the sun, the smell of the fall leaves and water reflections on a creek bank.  The other day a full rainbow on a pitch black sky. 

• ClarkBlue
    ClarkBlue Member Posts: 30

Marcella - that was fantastic!! There are several people in my life that have surprised me, but overall I feel pretty supported.

For whomever asked about the life time limit of radiation... I asked my RO directly. He said that each body part has a limit, so whomever mentioned that previously was correct.

9/28 done. No evidence of problems so far! Believing for Supernaturally minimal side effects😊

-Keel

• ayr1016
    ayr1016 Member Posts: 156

I am loving the support on this thread!

Marcella ~ as others have stated, beautifully written. The light has been shown on myself and others around me. Cancer has changed me in all aspects of my life. We are enlightened to senses and awareness we didn't know we had.

Day #19 of 33 today. I am emotionally spent with the driving and how tired I get. I go as bras-less as I can. I drive to and from RADs without a bra (lol). I grab my hoodie when I walk into the hospital. It works for me so far. I feel so much pressure on my sensitive spots (nipples and axillary) when I wear a bra. When I do wear a bra, it is a soft, no wire, front closure one.

Summerluna ~ I love the chain you are doing. That is a great way to your finish line.

So glad it is Friday tomorrow.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534

13/~20. The day started off well. I woke up with stiffness in the treated area, but felt OK by the time I got to the hospital. My underarm has felt really warm and uncomfortable since I got home. I put on more Miaderm-L, but relief doesn't last long. Cool, wet cloth helps. Yuck! I feel like I hit a wall.

I'm lucky that my family has been very supportive. We don't have other family nearby, but a few have visited. Others have called. A few have not, but I don't dwell on it. I won't forget.

• Frill
    Frill Member Posts: 104

ClarkBlue - That's going to be my new motto "supernaturally minimal side effects." !!!!!!!! I'm going to start chanting it all the time. I love it

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191

16 done, no more snorkel! Today was the first of 5 boosts. Coming to the end of this mess. I won't miss the daily commute. Sending hugs and strength all around. We're all in this together

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526

Starting my 7 boosts tomorrow. I can see the finish line

• Mariangel43
    Mariangel43 Member Posts: 45

Hi, ladies. Frill, you always make me smile. You have such a beautiful funny attitude toward life that help me a lot. I just wrote in another forum about the complexities of cancer and medicine. I told the ladies that the new guidelines will force ROs to consider women's preferences as well as other factors before giving full lifetime dosage to them. ROs do not consider that we all need to be radiated with RXs, MRIs, mammograms, and other sources of radiation. They have to add them because they will adding more damage to the area. To use in radiation I am preparing myself some bras without elastic and very soft fabrics in case I need them, You can do it yourself. I am handsewing them.

s1d1, I am sorry to hear that you have such a freaky RO. My PS does that to me when he saw me the the day of TE surgery. I laughed and told him to remember my face and my tits both. He still asks me what we agreed. Just for fun. But be careful with your RO; keep counting the sessions so that he might not overradiate you just because he forgets. At least, you have a great RT team.

How long does the sim really take? I read in one place it took to the lady 45 minutes in an uncomfortable position. I have pinched nerves in my cervical region so that I might not endure that so lightly. I started to cry during the MRI because the pain was so severe and the technician didn't let me get out. I was one and a half hour and I almost called it a quit. No more breast MRIs in the rest of my life. Cat scans normally are shorter but this kind of cat scan is no for diagnostic purposes but for measurement.

I agree with most of you. I lost some long-time friends (22 years) when I told them I had cancer. I still receive some news from them in Facebook (FB) but no more emailing or chatting. It hurt but I learned from it who are my real friends. Even my PS told me I was a strong woman which I didn't believe until recently. Now I do, and I thank God for that. What I need to learn from this experience, I still don't know but I'll wait patiently until the response comes. I will not make myself bitter or make others bitter with my attitude. And as Marcella and Thereisnodespair have said, I will keep toxic people at a great distance for my own sake (survival instinct).

I have a small support group though a lot of people know I have cancer. Not many of them are interested in my worries or concerns; so I skip them this kind of nearness. Those who goes to appointment see a new side of me. One night on FB one friend told me to surrender to dr's instructions and stop being problematic. So I set my limits; I told the three of them that I expected from a friend to accompany me in the process, not judgment if I had to differ from a dr's opinion even if my friends do not agree with me. (Doctors have to convince in order for me to comply. If something does not make sense, I will reject.) I have posted many things afterwards and no one judge me now.

My last concern, maybe you can help. I've been looking about the molds that are used in RT. I haven't found anything in the videos. Snorkeling gear? Aren't they using the same material that is used for head masks? Is that hard plastic? Do they strap us to the table with the hands near the head? More freaking anxiety.

I need to work tomorrow and is 1:27 am. It seems that I will have another sleepless night. But you won't have to suffer with me. So good night and sweet dreams.

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

Hi everyone... I was supposed to have my sim yesterday, but changed MOs and now have to see the new one before doing anything... a little step back, but all to go forwards

• Briannek
    Briannek Member Posts: 4

I just met with my radiation oncologist today for my simulation. Got me tattoos today also. I will start radiation on October 17. I'm anxious but ready to be done with cancer 😍 My biggest concern is to be honest I have extremely smelly arm pits 😷 And I use extra strength deodorant, however, they just told me today I can't shave my pits or wear deodorant. I very self conscious about this and it has been bothering me all day. But I did tell my friends and coworkers what to expect, so hopefully I won't be banned from the "lunch table".

• LoveMyVizsla

Briannek, try dusting your armpit with cornstarch. It will help with the moisture and odor.

Had my first boost today. I was getting zapped from the left and the right, one fifteen second zap and three shorter ones. There are four boost ones for me, and each one is about 20 seconds and one short one. Need to ask the RO about that on Monday. 6 more to go and I am done, done, DONE!

• ClarkBlue
    ClarkBlue Member Posts: 30

I've never had to wear deodorant most of my life... I just don't sweat there. My feet sweat and so does my groin area. Once the hot flashes started from chemopause, I started using natural deodorants. I asked my RO about using them and he said as long as there isn't any aluminum in it, I'm free to use it.

The brand I use is Schmidt https://schmidtsdeodorant.com//phone/index.html. I buy it at Meijer (a regional super store here in MI).

I wasn't told I couldn't shave my armpits, but I haven't needed to on the irradiated side.

Mariangel don't worry about radiation... it's a lot easier than you think. The forms they use are soft and they place an elastic band around your feet to keep them together so you don't move. It's actually quite helpful and allows you to relax versus trying to have to hold yourself in that position.

10/28 done. My implants are holding up well! On the bright side, because I don't have feeling in my chest or armpits, even if I were uncomfortable, I wouldn't know it Hahahaha.

• SerenitySTAT

I don't get elastic bands. I have the form under my head and arms and a large pad under my knees. They also place a rolled up towel under my heels because they were getting numb. After getting stiff from being on the table so long, I do some exercises and stretches while I wait outside of the treatment room. They really help, and the techs encourage me to keep doing them.

14/~20. My skin has turned pink, but feels OK after applying Miaderm more frequently. One more regular treatment before 4-6 boosts.

Glad the week is over! Hope everyone has a restful weekend before going back.

• Katjadvm
    Katjadvm Member Posts: 117

I am likely going to be having radiation beginning of November. I have my appt with the RO end of October. I am very nervous because I am a very fair skinned person who reacts poorly to sun. I break out in itchy hives if I am out in the sun for 20 or more minutes without sunscreen. I am concerned it will wreck my skin. Any fair individuals not have issues with radiation?

• IHGJAnn49

has anyone waited a couple of months or so to start treatment? I just got my hospital bill and don't know how long it's going to take to pay it.. and I don't want to add more if I can wait

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

SerenitySTA & s1d1c1u1-Thanks for the heads up on the weight loss, I can totally do protein bars but really wouldn't mind shedding some of this extra weight.

s1d1c1u1-it's been awhile since I've been in retail but can't your DM help get your store staffed correctly for the holiday especially while you're out? We're under enough stress as it is without having to worry about the whole work thing. I'm with you about wondering if the SE are going to set in after, only time will tell I guess. Praying it all works out for you.🙏🏼

Frill- you're absolutely right, we've got this & will totally rock it! I will be thinking of you on Monday hoping it all goes smoothly. 🙏🏼💕What lotion are you using? I have been slapping on extra coconut oil in prep for the big day. Not sure if that's enough though. Btw I did read somewhere that drinking a propel water daily helps to keep your electrolytes up, & for whatever reason it also helps with fatigue...not sure how valid this is but I'll do whatever just to get thru this. 🙄

Marcella I love what you said so true! 💞

Katjadvm- My friends sister is super fair skinned (Irish w/ freckles) and she did outstanding during radiation. No guarantees though, from what I can speculate if your skin is in good shape prior ( not heavily damaged from the sun, and properly hydrated with moisturizers & you have a nutritious diet) then you should go pretty well. That's only what I've heard & can't speak from experience. I will pray for you as well.

Hope everyone is having a good restful weekend!

• Scout7
    Scout7 Member Posts: 10

Katjadvm

I am very fist skinned too. Red head. I get sunburn just standing by a window. I share your concern. I just did my first 5 of 33 this week. Each night I am sunburn pink but skin looks good in am. My incision is red. Using the gel they provided 3 times a day. Have a very nice RO and they are taking caution checking my skin.

• SerenitySTAT

IHGJAnn - My MO said chemo should start within 90 days of my surgery, and rads should start about 4-6 weeks after chemo. Ask your doctors how long you can wait. Maybe you can work out a payment plan with your hospital? Wish you didn't have this added stress.

Imkopy2 - Rads will deplete minerals. I just bring a snack of prunes that contains a good mix of minerals. Start with 2 or 3 at a time. A serving is about 5-7 pieces. When I get home, I eat a protein-rich lunch.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233

ihgjann, yesterday was my second day of rads. The very first day the nurse navigator explained several programs to me that would pay my bills. I told her it was not necessary and that my insurance is 100% coverage. But for some on a limited income, and over 60, I would investigate the organizations that could help. Your RO should have a navigator to help you through the financial aspects of radiation.

• IHGJAnn49

Thanks Serenity, I'll talk to the hospital mon. morning and see if they can write any of it off..

• Mariangel43

Briannek, don't worry, with radiation hair will fall out on the armpit. I don't think you will have a problem with sweat either after rad. Even bacterias are killed with tx. There are deodorants without aluminum chorohydrate you can wear before rad. When you get to center, you just wash it away.You need the skin clean. Good luck.

• reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280

A huge bill on top of cancer is so wrong, I am sorry. I think there are organizations that help with finances, and also you are eligible to get health insurance through the Health Connector. You cannot be denied for "pre-existing condition" anymore due to the Affordable Care Act. Good luck!

• Mariangel43

Clarkblue, I truly hope that in my center they don't use ties for feet. I recently had multiple fractures on my right foot and the ankle still hurts. Besides, a tie doesn't relax me, it makes me angry. No ties for me.

Serenity, the molds do the same thing as the ties. There is a plastic mold of the same material of the head mask. I had a bruised rib and with osteoporosis I wouldn't like to be tied and get a fractured rib too. Also, I am worried about my diet. I don't eat meat and I need a protein-rich diet. My diet is mostly rice and beans (which must be reduced by some unthinkable reason-the carbohydrate content in it). I eat veggies too. I hate meat and chicken is so full with estrogen that I blame it for the cancer.

IHG, I have waited since mx in June 27. On july 12, the RO evaluated me for this, and the only thing I got from her was a bill of 12,000 dollars. Since I function on a limited budget, the secretary gave me a list of foundations and agencies that could help me pay the bill. But I consider that we are mostly at the end of the year, and funds must be scarse. Secondly, I don't ask for money to any one and getting a loan so near to retire is no an option.

I am working too FT and I need to change to another place and see if it is less expensive. Some people have told me that the RO is very good and considerate unlike the other one at the hospital. I will wait as long as I'll need to. If I can't afford it either I will talk to MO and ask him for a new type of tx. Then I go to PS and finish reconstruction. I have so many stress in my life to add an expensive bill to it.

• IHGJAnn49

Mariangel43 and Reflect, I looked at DSHS and they have a program to help with breast cancer, but it cuts off at 65, I just turned 67... I will call the hospital and see if they can write off some of it.. they have before, and see someone on the 12 to find out what i can do beside wait til Jan... then I will have a new plan, supplement instead of medicare advantage... There is no age limit on cancer, i just wish they wouldn't put one on financial help..

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233

Girls, there are financial sources available and if my insurance did not pick up all my costs, I would be looking for extra money. My son was mugged and had to have his jaw wired shut in July - 70,000,my surgery was about 50,000 plus another 7,000 in tests, and who knows how much radiation is. I have two large 3 ring binders with just medical bills. I want the New Year to get here, so I can have a fresh start. In the meantime, I have to cram as many medical tests, meds,etc onto this year's plan, because I have already met out of pocket.

• Kbeaz
    Kbeaz Member Posts: 1

I'm a bit nervous about radiation treatment. I completed chemo, am on Herceptin and am supposed to start 28 sessions of radiation after surgery soon. Any old timers out there to give some advice?

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894

Hi all. I too have been stalking for a while as I'm just finishing up chemo tomorrow and will start rads in about 4 weeks.

Kbeaz, before I knew I needed chemo, I was active on the July rads thread and had so many great suggestions for creams and things that can help if you have any challenges. Of course everything should be cleared through your RO, but it can help to go back to women who are even a few months out. I'm doing the same with the hair thread! :-) Hope all goes well, and maybe I'll see you here in a few weeks.

Re finances and bills, I'm a little worried. My surgery was in June and while I've gotten statements from insurance, I've not gotten anything from my center. I'm sure hopeful that means I have no co-pay! Since I go to a big research center, I'm hopeful they just have the agreement with medicare and my supplemental insurance. Fingers crossed.

• LoveMyVizsla

I read the whole summer rads thread too. I think our group has given some good advice too though, and it's a shorter read. 😉