Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Comments

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894

LoveMyVisla, I definitely agree. And I also think it really helps to being going through a treatment at the same time with others on the thread. Hope there will be some starting in about 4 weeks when I'm ready. BTW, Vislas are one of my favorite dogs. We've had 2 weimaraners that remind me of vislas in shape and fur.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526

They are so pretty. Did you know they almost went extinct around WWII and were bred with Weimaraners and GSP's to bring them back? V's are a little bit smaller the weimies though. This is our second one.

• thereisnodespair
    thereisnodespair Member Posts: 98

B"H

DaraB i am soooooooooooooooo happy you are finishing chemo... yay!!!!!!! ...... you have been thru SO much, hope this is the last of this and that the RADS will be easy on you.... really wishing you the VERY best!

• MarcellaPa
    MarcellaPa Member Posts: 65

Hi Kbeaz:

I want to be encouraging. I finished my 30 treatments 2 weeks ago and will be returning tomorrow for my follow-up. I'm healing well.

I experienced minor fatigue which was probably mostly related to driving to the hospital and back daily. I didn't experience anything that couldn't be solved by following doctor's orders and using products the Dr/nurse recommended.

I think its pretty natural to fear the unknown but try to have confidence in your radiation oncologist's and the staff's expertise.

Believe it or not, my 30 sessions went by quicker than I imagined they would. You'll be there soon.

Best of luck.

Marcella

• s1d1c1u1
    s1d1c1u1 Member Posts: 48

Good morning, ladies! Hope your weekend was enjoyable. I've never looked forward to weekends so much as I do now that I'm going through radiation.

20/33 and I'm starting to get red under my arm. Doesn't hurt too much except when I accidentally roll onto my side while sleeping. I was hoping to go back to work on the 23rd, but dr. is hesitant. He wants to wait another week before he'll decide if he'll release me. Ugh...I don't want to tell my district manager.

He offered me the silver cream, but told me that over the counter triple antibiotic ointment works just as well without turning my skin black. I didn't even know blackened skin was a side effect of that prescription cream. I'll try the over the counter version first.

I wonder if my daily walking on the treadmill is exacerbating my skin under my arm? I hate to stop working out, but I really don't want that skin to become even more raw. Any advice?

Fatigue is getting a little worse. I'm ready for bed by 9 pm now!

Sabrina

• Cherilynn
    Cherilynn Member Posts: 1

I too just had a lumpectomy for dcis. I am grade 2,stage 0, non-invasive. All precancer cells were wiped out with 1st biopsy & surgery. I am lucky, I know. I see the oncologist on the 17th. I am told, based on the nonogram, that with radiation and endocrine therapy, my numbers are better than a 2% 5 yr. And 3% 10 year reoccurence. I fear that they will still feel radiation is necessary. Does anyone out there think it's best, or is endocrine therapy only a good risk, 7% reoccurence 10 yr. ? I too have fibro. With ocassional flareups. I also have migraines. I can't take anti-inflamatories due 2 allergic reactions. I am an elem. sped. Teacher & am taking 2 weeks off due 2 the nature of my job. After day two I started having more pain from the surgery. I have chest wall. And armpit pain flareups now too. Like this person who posted, I am scared 2 death of the treatment & what it will do 2 my quality of life. Fortunately, I have short and long- term disability, but I'd rather work. I will ask my doc about neurontin and anti-depresent during radiation so.I can work as much as possible. Anyone have any suggestions? To add insult 2 injury, I am a light smoker & know I need 2 quit, especially during radiation. Can anyone else relate?

• Frill
    Frill Member Posts: 104

I did a lot of research - or tried to as a non-medical professional - about effects of radiation on skin because I'm fair skinned and burn easily if I don't wear sunscreen. From what I could tell, there's no real predictor of who will do well or won't. Sooooo, I'm just trying to do what was mentioned previously, stay hydrated, eat well, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...and I haven't started yet.

I'm not a good rads patient. Today for the second sim - once again, no prep on their part meant surprises, then freak outs on mine. I wear scarves, not a wig, and the first thing they tell me is, "That has to come off." I'm like - "Uh, this didn't just hop on my head. Are you telling me now I have to do, un-do, and redo this every time? Isn't this something else that could have been covered with me last week so that I could make adjustments?" Plus there was the whole magic marker business...which evidently I have to look like a game of Operation for six weeks. How do I put lotion on top of Sharpie and expect it to stay - and then how do I redraw it on oily skin?

On top of this I was just told ten minutes ago to just give up on orgasms, I am done with that part of my life. This afternoon going back to rads is going to be a treat after that - me being upset about my scarves all over again, the magic marker thing, I'm just done.

• bbbb
    bbbb Member Posts: 7

Going for 8 of 28 today. We were delayed by Hurricane Matthew and the radiation center was closed for the past few days. This puts me behind on my schedule and I don't know if there are negative effects for not having radiation on a regular regimen but there was no choice. Schools are closed all this week so at least I will not be running from work to radiation, thankful for a less stressful week that will put me about halfway done when this week is over! Praise God! We are also s thankful that we were spared from the hurricane. We had to evacuate but returned to a home that was not damaged and the power and water were operational. No trees down either, just alot of branches and debris in the yard. No flooding either, which was the biggest concern for our area. God is Good!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534

LoveMyVizsla - Love that picture!

Sabrina - I put my hand on my hip when walking to keep my underarm skin from rubbing against my torso. That seems to help.

Cherilynn - There's a thread for smokers trying to quit. I wish you luck. I've never been a smoker, but I know it can be difficult to quit. My dad smoked throughout my childhood. Glad he stopped in my teens.

Frill - I wear a slouchy beanie instead of a scarf. It's easy on/off. They use markers on me, too. I pat lotion on top of the lines, but they still smear a little. Try to let it dry before putting clothes on. The techs touch up the lines when needed. At home I've used a permanent marker. Under a blouse, I wear camisoles or snug tees that I don't mind getting stained. Use a dark or old towel after showering. I have a sleeve and glove for lymphedema. I have to take the sleeve off, but I keep the glove on during treatment.

bbbb - Glad that you have no hurricane damage. A few days off shouldn't matter.

It's been 3 days since last treatment (#14), and my skin is still a little red. No treatment today due to Canadian Thanksgiving. Almost time to shape the dough I made.

Hope everyone is doing well today! Happy Thanksgiving to those in Canada!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233

Whomever started the rumour that radiation was a pice of cake, I beg to differ. Doing 16 full breast and 4 boosts, only 2 done which are the equivalent of 4. Tired with some stomach upset. Only 18 left to go. Will have 7 done on Friday, with 13 left to go. I give the girls that get chemo alot of credit. I am such a baby when it comes to this stuff. I had to go to the July rads board to figure out what was going on. And, had a hot flash at the market today.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534

Michelle - I've had mastectomy, chemo, and radiation and have concluded they all suck!

• Scout7
    Scout7 Member Posts: 10

any one have Rash in armpit? I have 6 treatments out 33. Red rash in armpit today after treatment. Breast just pink. Wonder if it is from not wearing deodorant from collection of moisture. I see RO every Tueaday after treatment but wondered what you ladies thought.

• Snowflake67
    Snowflake67 Member Posts: 12

hi I just had my first appt with a fill-in radiologist since mine was sick. Since my margin is close -1mm he said I may need addditional radiation treatments with a boost (33 days)or I can just have surgeon take more tissue-(surgeon wants to)

Ugh-not sure what to d

• ayr1016
    ayr1016 Member Posts: 156

snowflake - such a hard decision.

Happy Thanksgiving Serenity!!

bbbb - so glad you were safe during the hurricane. I have family that came through ok which was such a relief to hear.

• Snowflake67

how many days of radiation did you need ary1016

• Michelle_in_cornland

Snowflake, would the re-incision help you sleep better at night? I know it would for me. Radiation is no picnic, so if you could do the shorter course and do a re-incision, that might be something to think about.

• boobsBgone
    boobsBgone Member Posts: 34

Glad those on E coast are safe. I met my RO today and doing 5-weeks of tx. my sim is next week, so we'll see how I do. I warned him I will work toward every side effect, just like chemo and sx. He ordered a cream for me, which the pharmacy has to order for tomorrow, there is time. I kept all your suggestions handy and asked my questions too, so I feel good going into this final stage of nuttiness!

I am having trouble maintaining a good appetite, it seems I am hungry but barely eat. I try to eat 4x/day but sometimes that does not happen. planning on more snacks to fill the void. Have a good day!

• Snowflake67

I don't know Michelle-I just want it to be over

• Snowflake67

I don't know Michelle-I just want it to be over. How is it going for you? (Radiation

• josieg
    josieg Member Posts: 13

Hi there Katjadvm

I am fair skinned red head and I finished radiation a couple of weeks ago. One oncologist told me that I should opt for the 7 week instead of 4 week since I am fair, but my RO said 4 week would be fine. Glad I went with what my RO recommended. She said it doesn't necessarily correlate to how you do in the sun, and I seem to be living proof of that! I was very lucky - first 2 weeks fine, and only started getting red and itchy toward to end of the 3rd week. I did have a really itchy décolletage , and a a bit of peeling but overall faired pretty well. Make sure you use the lotion - I put on Eucerin, and also used cortisone and aloe vera as needed. All peeling and most itching completely gone now.

Best of luck!

• Michelle_in_cornland

Doing okay, had my treatment, came home, ate and now lounging. Now that rads have started, I am worried about the next step - anti estrogen therapy - tamox or ai.....

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

I didn't want to post anything til i was sure, but will be starting rads this month and Arimidex right away, so on the way!

• Michelle_in_cornland

Judy, is your doctor suggesting you do both at the same time or do rads first and then arimidex? I am such a big chicken - of all new territories.

• ayr1016
    ayr1016 Member Posts: 156

snowflake ~ I had #21 of 33 today. Has your team of doctors talked about what they all agree on and suggest? My surgeon, radiation dr. and medical oncologist talked together about an issue and all agreed on and suggested what they thought was best before I started radiation. Once they suggested a solution, I made sure I had an appointment with all three (separately of course) doctors to make sure I was fully in the know before I had my sim.

Michelle ~ I have been on anti-hormones since February of this year. I started out with Tamoxifen with ovary suppression and then when I was in chemical menopause I switched to AI plus OS.

BoobsBgone ~ my appetite has been terrible through out this radiation process. It started on day one of radiation. I have been nauseous off and on and can not seem to have a good appetite despite being hungry sometimes.

• LoveMyVizsla

Frill, they had me take my wig off when they made my mould, but I wear it for treatments.

Snowflake, my surgeon told me that radiation is no cure for dirty margins. I had a re-excision, and they got 2mm more of DCIS.

Scout, I got armpit rash, but I thought it was my lupus.

I got some welcome news today. My RO thinks it is dumb for me to have two days of repair this coming weekend, then come back for one last treatment on Monday. So, we are going to do two treatments one day this week and I will be finished on Friday! TGIF!! That sure put a spring in my step.

She talked to me about after care today. She said to keep using the calendula cream for two weeks, then switch to a thick cream like Cetaphil or Eucerin for 3 months, 2-3 times a day. She will see me in three months, then every 6 months to coincide with my mammograms, for two years. Since I won't see her again until January, she gave me a big hug. 😍

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

Michelle, My MO wants me to take the Arimedex right away and start rads too, so will be doing both together

• Michelle_in_cornland

Judy, you are a better woman than I. Me- Extreme chicken. Already have SE of radiation - they told me there would be none.

Texas girl - you are not the only one with nausea from radiation. How are you tolerating the anti hormonal drugs and suppression?

Why, why, everytime we turn a corner, we get a new form of pain? We need drugs without pain as a SE.

Michelle

• MarcellaPa
    MarcellaPa Member Posts: 65

Hi Cherilynn:

I have your identical dx so I can relate--non-invasive breast cancer, DCIS, Stage 0, grade 2.

I also have a history of Graves Disease (in remission) and severe osteoarthritis. Up until my first surgery (Last October) I was also a smoker. My breast surgeon told me it was best to quit in order to optimize healing after surgery. I know its hard during a stressful time but it has made me feel much better over the past year. See if a smoking cessation program exists through your hospital.

In terms of treatment decisions--after three opinions, I decided to follow medical advice and complete the three part treatment protocol (surgery, rads and endocrine therapy).

I just completed 30 radiation treatments and will start my arimidex this week. Believe me, I would rather have had the surgery and been all done but I have to respect that, for right now in time, these are the best tools and approaches we have. It's frustrating because we feel we dodged the invasive bullet and can opt out of further interventions but doctors can't predict how our DCIS will behave. I want to make sure I did everything available to me from the start.

As my medical oncologist said, "We're hoping you'll never have to deal with this again". Yes, me too.

The treatments have their challenges but they are all doable with the support of your medical team. The ladies here also provide wonderful support, suggestions and encouragement.

Make sure to discuss your concerns with your doctor. I always feel better when I voice my anxieties to my doctors and they have a chance to address them.

Best of luck!

Marcella

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894

Had my last chemo today and MO suggested I make appt for consult right away with RO. Should be able to start rads in 3-4 weeks. My RBC is a bit low so hopefully that can come back up a bit before I start rads. I'll be doing AI at the same time as rads like you, Judy.

Frill, does everything have to come off the head? Why is that if you can keep pants etc. on? Can you wear a wig?

Michelle, I've heard the fatigue with rads can be worse than with chemo. Hope your SEs are few.

• LoveMyVizsla

Dara, they had me take my wig off when they made my mould, because the foam gets warm and they didn't want to risk damaging the wig. Mine is heat resistant, but I took it off anyway. I have worn it every time since.