Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Options

Comments

• Summerluna90
    Summerluna90 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi everyone-newbie here, but I'm so glad to find a site where I can go through this with others doing the same. Just reading through the posts has helped me so much! I finished day 5/30 rads today. It seems ok so far, but I know it will get worse. I have to drive 2 hours each way so it's been a bit tiring already but I'm just glad to start and ready to get this done. Thanks for all the great advice and I hope all of us fare well. I keep telling myself this is temporary!

• s1d1c1u1
    s1d1c1u1 Member Posts: 48
    Options

Summerluna90 Welcome! A 2 hour drive each way??? ugh I feel for you. I have a 10 minute drive and that's already getting old.

My techs were discussing the music that was playing (country) and how much they didn't like it when I chimed in. They asked what I preferred and told them I'm a huge Lady Gaga fan and they played nothing but gaga the entire time I was there. lol made my morning.

So 12/33 (dr originally told me 30 but it's really 33...sneaky) I am starting to get fatigued. By 1:00 I just hit a wall and cannot keep my eyes open. Take half hour nap and I'm fine for rest of the day. Getting pretty pink already, but otherwise things are good.

Hope the rest of you are doing well.

Sabrina

• Blahndie74
    Blahndie74 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Started my first of 8 boosts today. So happy it's almost over! Best wishes to all that are just starting this journey. It's really not as bad as I had feared.

• Scout7
    Scout7 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hi summerluna90

I start on Monday for my first treatment of 33. I understand your concern of long drive. My round trip for treatment is 3 1/2 hours. My plan is have 9:30am treatment Since I am an early riser at 4:30am I can get work done then if I do get tired by end of work day can be home so I can nap if needed. Hoping this plan works. Maybe your center can get you a time of day with less traffic? Seattle is the worst. Iive in Roslyn and drive over the cascade mountains to issaquah for treatment. Between road closures, weather and accidents it can be a guessing game for travel

• thereisnodespair
    thereisnodespair Member Posts: 98
    Options

B"H

Okay, after a long and complicated wait for the Oncotype results, which delivered the decision to forego chemo at this point (yah!!!) I went this morning to do the simulation at the radiation clinic.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO grateful for so many things, surely happy that I don't have to go thru chemo - and my heart goes out to all the women who are doing it - -

so i should be happy right?

only until now, the BS and the MO and all the nurses and technicians for the millions of tests and scans etc etc I have been through have been so kind, patient, willing to explain everything and caring

and the RO this morning was not.... and even though the technician who "marked me up" was incredibly kind and gentle and respectful - i got so sad, trying to remember who i was and what my body was only three months ago...

and being told over and over that RADS is "nothing" is driving me nuts... i mean' i know that in many ways that is really true and i am very fortunate.... but hearing from people who are NOT going thru this that "the only hard part is finding parking at the hospital" is really hurtful to me.... if any one HERE would say it i would just be grateful for the encouragement and smile...

but "outside" of this "refuge" hearing that it is nothing, and that BC is so common its just like "getting over the flu" is getting to me......

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

SummerLuna and Scout - Both of you have such long commutes. Mine is about 40 mins one way, but if there are any delays, I get caught in traffic for 1 1/2 hrs. After my treatment is done, I try to drink water and have a snack before driving home. Seems to help. If I feel I can't make the drive home, I have backup. My husband can cut out of work early to drive. Haven't needed it yet.

thereisnodespair - People don't really understand unless they have or someone close has been through it. My boss really wants me back at work, and I have a coworker who went through a similar cancer treatment herself has been telling him to leave me alone!

7 of ~20 - Feeling some tightness.

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

11 done out of 21 plus 5 boosts. Why don't they just say 26? In any event, it's much less bothersome than I thought it would be. I wouldn't say it's nothing!! I'm developing bursitis in the shoulder with the arm raised. Hard to sleep so I'm taking Advil. Hopefully it will subside. My radiated boob is much darker than my other one. No pink, just a deep tan. I'm keeping it moisturized with Miaderm twice a day so no peeling.. yet. I get tired much earlier in the night so I'm off to bed a couple hours early. Trying to stay hydrated. It's in the 90s out here in Los Angeles! Apparently we didn't get the memo about fall...

• bbbb
    bbbb Member Posts: 7
    Options

Serenity - It might be because of the breath holding that it takes longer. That is not offered at my treatment center but RO assures me that my heart is not getting the radiation or he would have sent me to a center that had the breath holding machine. Who knows!!! I am literally on the table 5 minutes. They line me up, zap one side then the other and I'm outta there! I'm asking no questions just wanting to get this over with!

So glad to find this post - thanks ClarkBlue for sending me in the right direction!

• Seraphima
    Seraphima Member Posts: 52
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement - sorry I did not reply sooner. Several were kind enough to respond to my concerns.

I'm on 8/30 now. Almost 1/3 through? :D

My RO met with me the other day, and his theme was "it's nothing, right?" Which I admit, is not making me happy either. Funny, he seems to over-emphasize the danger of recurrence (my Oncologist is much more optimistic) yet he blows off any concerns I have about the rads. They did give me Aquaphor the other day. I guess it was "time" ... because I've been peeling since the first day due to the reaction I had beforehand. I do have more confidence in the techs now, as I see what happens when things don't line up easily. I guess I have some swelling, so they are having a harder time getting me in place. The actual rads don't take that long. I don't like my drive (35 or 40 minutes one way), but it's so much shorter than what some of you have to endure, so I won't complain.

I guess the fatigue is giving me some trouble. I am able to do some small, simple tasks, but I tried to return to work yesterday and it was VERY difficult - they sent me to two different schools, and one was a hike and up two flights of stairs, a middle-school with a bad reputation (though the kids were not that bad), and a high school with a fairly bad reputation too. I'm just not up to going back to that right now. And elementary students are much more draining, especially the little ones (though I love working with them best of all). My husband is starting to get antsy - they've cut back his overtime and I've been out of work now for almost 4 months - we knew I would miss 8 weeks because of summer vacation but my surgeries and everything else came right as school started back up here. So I really want and need to get back to work, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to.

And I don't know why, but my knee is giving me terrible trouble. I've had a little pain off and on for a while, but today I could barely walk at all and it's been very painful for a few days (could be the strain of going to work yesterday). Maybe it's just lack of exercise overall. I usually swim every day but I can't be in the pool for the usual half hour, though I've done a few laps - don't want to cause too much trouble with the tape and marker (I don't have tattoos). And for some reason today, I could not get myself up off the radiation table without help - that has not happened before.

Ups and downs I guess. At least it will be over in a relatively short time.

• Summerluna90
    Options

Day 6/30 done. Thanks for the ideas for the long commute. I'm still figuring out this forum and not sure how to post to some of you directly. I'm trying to look at this as a job. I figure some people do this horrible commute every day for work, so at least I have a light at the end of the tunnel. My mom goes with me each time. She can't drive, but is my carpool buddy, which helps so much. As said before, Seattle traffic is so bad. Thanks for all the tips about staying hydrated! It seems to be helping. I have a question and I see the RO tomorrow. I'm noticing almost a sunburned feeling on my face when I finish each time. Also, my breath feels hot like I have a fever, but I don't. I have a panel above me and the techs said that it does give a nominal amount of radiation but it shouldn't affect me. Is this normal?? Im starting to worry that I'm getting radiation on my face!!! I'm sorry If others have already. late appt today and early tomorrow. Maybe I should pack a tent. ;

• Summerluna90
    Options

Hi Scout- Sounds like we have similar commutes-I have scheduled my rads first thing in the morning- at least as early as I can get there. That has worked out so far and I'm home before noon. Wednesday's are the issue because my daughters's school does late start and I have to have an afternoon appointment. The traffic is worse on the way back and it just makes it so much longer. Glad you can get in in the morning too.

• Seraphima
    Seraphima Member Posts: 52
    Options

I have been making heavy use of audiobooks from the local library. I listen to those on my commute, which makes it a bit better. I don't have anyone to go with me though. But I normally work all over two counties, so my commute to work can be up to an hour and a half one way. I usually load up podcasts I want to listen to (some is out of service range) or keep audiobooks at the ready, so it's a long time habit of mine.

• Sunnyskies2016
    Sunnyskies2016 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Today is 6/33.

Yesterday was completely emotional. I am grateful for my progress so far but was cranky and emotional. Put myself to bed at 8:30. Not tired. Just thought better to get some extra sleep and start over today. Much better.

The techs are amazing - I wa going to switch locations when something opens up closer to work but I like these girls and will see it thru with them. They make it 'easy.'

I keep using the miaderm. Auqaphor and aloe. I know I am just getting started but it feels better with a sports bra than without. Just pink and hot. No peeling. Not yet....

Thanks for being here ladies. This forum is helpful.

• susanaq
    susanaq Member Posts: 8
    Options

I go today for my RO consult and setup. I have one more round to TC on 10/12/16, then I start radiation of right quadrant and axillary when they deem me to be recovered from the chemo, so tentative start date for radiation is November 7.

• thereisnodespair
    Options

B"H

Sunnyskies2 I so identified with what you wrote, even though i haven't even begun treatments (will next week...)... what you write about times "completely emotional" - it does sometimes get the better of us, doesn't it? You are really smart to just get into bed and hope tomorrow will be easier....

wishing you and all of us an easy time of things' getting through this part and then really "getting our lives back"

hope you had a good smiley day today!

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    Options

Summerluna, we drive to Seattle daily for rads too. We chose the 11:30 time slot to avoid the morning rush and the afternoon rush. Timing works for the express lanes too. Spent the night in town last night, but didn't sleep well.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

bbbb - Yes, getting lined up for the breath hold takes such a long time. They take several x-rays each time. Today they made a lot of adjustments, there was a trainee, and I had bolus treatments. I was on the table for 45 mins. The trainee is getting better. I've started stretching while in the waiting room because I was getting stiff from not moving for so long.

8 of ~20. Only 7 regular treatments left. Someone asked about being irritable earlier. Well, I definitely noticed it today. I felt less calm while on the table. Driving home was more of an adventure. Montreal drivers are crazy!

• Jilled
    Jilled Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi all

New on here. I go today for round 17/30. Already pink and tender. My treatment appointments are only 10 min from work so I work and leave at 3 pm for treatments then go home. So far so good, but of course I am becoming very tender. I know it will get worse before it gets better.

Any advice on what to wear to work if you can't wear a bra?

• LifeAloft
    LifeAloft Member Posts: 69
    Options

Jilled, welcome! I have to wear a bra, and I've found that wearing a soft t-shirt or tank top UNDER my bra really helps, it keeps the elastic from my bra from rubbing, etc. I'm not very sore/tender but I am sooooo itchy. Today was #20 for me.

• Unbreakable01
    Unbreakable01 Member Posts: 54
    Options

I met with my radiation oncologist yesterday. It'll be 25 treatments, and then 8 boosts. He said most of his patients are older and don't work. It shows in their hours, 8-4:30. I work 7:30-5:30, but will switch to 8 hour days during treatment. I like the facility, and the oncologist was helpful, but I wish their hours were a little more convenient for those that work. It's a 30 minute drive each way.I know I'm more in the minority, but I don't want have to start at 7am.

I haven't been at my job a year and have had 2 surgeries, and countless doctor's appointments. Thankfully my boss is understanding, but still, I don't want to push the limits.

• Myraknits
    Options

Pix of the rad room and the light show:

The image in the ceiling is animated and the lights cycle from pink to orange to yellow.

I have a choice of 12 different themes. Cheap thrills.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Groovy!

• Milwmama
    Milwmama Member Posts: 84
    Options

I am a Fall Rads girl. Am on 6 of 33. Today I was in a blue funk all day. My drive is about 45 minutes with traffic. And I'm pretty wiped out by the end of the day. I try to get something accomplished each day to avoid the couch sitting I did during chemo, of course then I couldn't help it. Starting to feel the burn and have to go back to PT for the for the tightness and soreness across my chest and in my arm.

• labscientistmom
    labscientistmom Member Posts: 63
    Options

Hey, Myraknits, where are you in Los Angeles?? I am grateful for cooler weather again! I am starting 6 weeks of rads in about a month, at City of Hope cancer center annex at Providence Holy Cross in Mission Hills. I love your pics. Looking forward to seeing where I will do the deed. Maybe we can get together! blessings, A

• ayr1016
    ayr1016 Member Posts: 156
    Options

Myraknits ~ very cool. I would much prefer that light show to what I get to see (the plain ol' ceiling lol).

• bbbb
    bbbb Member Posts: 7
    Options

Number 4 of 28 today. Met with RO today and he said he would "guarantee" that I will have skin reactions - well thank you very much for the positive vibes doc! Lets be optimistic now! I think I am going to prove him wrong. Nice doc and I do like him but today he was totally on the down sideI My real questions right now is, when will my hair start to grow back???

• Myraknits
    Options

hi labscientistmom, I'm going to Providence St Joes in Burbank. Really great facility! I did chemo across the street at a UCLA annex and now rads are part of the Roy Disney Cancer Center. Good luck at City of Hope! I've heard wonderful things about them too

• Summerbum
    Summerbum Member Posts: 5
    Options

I had my simulation and markings Tuesday, and I'll start actual rads Mon. Oct. 10. I have 16 full breast, 4 boosts, so 20 total. I'm grateful for all of these posts--I've been reading avidly and taking lots of notes. I'm very interested in hearing how the Lindi Skin worked and if I should order some now?

I completely relate to all of those who've been emotional--and I haven't even started. I'm seeing a counselor at a local Cancer Support Center (and I'm going to fund raise for them as part of my treatment), and she said this is very normal. I feel like I can't express my real feelings anymore to anyone in my circle. My husband and daughters are sick of my "whining," my parents pulled up chairs THE MORNING AFTER MY SURGERY and told me how my "negativity" is "upsetting" my family, and my friends just want to hear that I'm "fine" so they can tell me how "strong" I am.

Oh, yeah, I "need" to be "grateful" that I'm "just" having radiation.

I am relieved beyond belief not to have chemo. I am hopeful that my SE will be minimal.

But you know what? I'm still mad as hell about all of this: the pain, the stress to keep up with work (Seraphima, I'm a teacher, too) when I'll have to leave early every day, the extra work of keeping on my brave face so I don't "upset" people or, God forbid, make them feel uncomfortable around a "sick" person.

I can only imagine what a treat I'll be to be around in a few weeks. Sigh.

• thereisnodespair
    Options

B"H

Summerbum - exactly.... understand completely - being grateful some of the (really big) treatments can be skipped - but still overwhelmed by all of this... and how hard it is when everyone around you just want you to be "just the same" and stop the "self-pity", when you don't want to complain - just some compassion and the understanding that we are walking now quite an unexpected and frightening journey .....

so plz remember YOU are NOT the problem

:-)

• Unbreakable01
    Unbreakable01 Member Posts: 54
    Options

Summerbum I can relate. Untill somebody is in our shoes and has to go through this whole rollercoaster, it's a different story. Most days I'm positive, but there are days when I need to vent. i post up photos and share what this all looks like so people have a better understanding of this process. I thought I lucked out the first time in only needing surgery and tamoxifen. A year later after another surgery now I need radiation.

I'll be working through radiation too. I've only been at my job 10 months, and people don't understand that extra layer of stress in trying to manage work and treatments. My boss is understanding which is great, but I still need to keep my insurance which means I need to work.

I used to be a teacher, and people don't realize the extra planning you have to do for when you take time off. Thank you for teaching and educating this generation. It's a difficult job and I always say thank you to my friends that are teachers.