Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Comments

• cris8325
    cris8325 Member Posts: 28

Started radiation today. Wasn't too bad. Not sure how many I will be getting yet.

• s1d1c1u1
    s1d1c1u1 Member Posts: 48

Good luck to all those just starting!

Went back to work on Sunday. It was harder than I was expecting. I'm so exhausted by the time I get home. Still, glad to be back. It's nice to not be focused on cancer.

Sabrina

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

I start my rads Tomorrow!!!

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894

Well, I started a response wishing you well tomorrow, Judy, when my computer died and I lost it all. So here goes again. Good luck tomorrow Judy!! :-)

I had my CT and they made my mold this morning. I won't be starting the actual rads until net Tuesday, but at least I will be getting started. I was able to keep my scarf on, they will do regular tattoos rather than the marks and tape, and even though it's on my left side, I won't have to hold my breath. The RO said he'd rather control the beams by my heart through the machine rather than count on me holding my breath. I met the two techs this morning and they were beyond nice. They are the only radiation techs so I will have the same ones each time.

Congrats to all who are finishing up. It sounds like there will be a few of us just starting up now. Am definitely looking forward to a brand new 2017!

• IHGJAnn49

Thanks Dara.. and it will be a Great New Year...

• Dizzybee
    Dizzybee Member Posts: 115

Judy and Dara, good luck with the rads! I just wish I was also joining you, I seem to be at the slow stage of this journey, let alone being sidetracked by other issues. But I think I'll only get 3 weeks of rads so I may catch you up later.

But you're on the home straight now, just this last stage to get through and you're done! Keep us posted on how it's all going.

• IHGJAnn49

We will..

• Miko
    Miko Member Posts: 198

Hi all: having my left breast lumpectomy and sentinel node removal on the 17 then radiation 4 weeks post surgery. A little daunting at best

• amusingsoprano
    amusingsoprano Member Posts: 77

Welcome, Miko :)

@DaraB What sort of mold is it?

• Miko

tytyAmusingSoprano

• Briannek
    Briannek Member Posts: 4

Finished 10/30 today. When people ask me how I'm doing I very excitingly tell them I'm 1/3 of the way done. They all look at me strange but as a good friend of mine said, "you can do anything for six weeks" 😍 So far very minimal SE. I had a SLB in July that was a bear to heal, and I find that incision sight is very tender after Rads.

I'm still very self conscious about body oder due to not wearing deodorant. My friends are on "smelling" duty if it ever gets too bad.

I have come across a "perk" to all of this. I'm from a very small town with one local doctor. Last week I developed a sinus infection (Ohio weather) along with poison oak. So I called him and was able to get in the same day. The receptionist had told me to be there at 10:00 and mistakenly put me in the system at 10:50. When my doc saw I had been waiting for so long he rushed me and apologized repeatedly. He gave me antibiotics and steroids and said, "it's cold and flu season, I do not want you waiting in that lobby for anything"...here is my person cell phone number call me 24/7 if you need anything at all. He has been with me through this whole process and I'm so thankful he is on my team.

Also, I am feeling a little fatigue but my job is go go go, and I think that contributes a lot towards it. Fortunately my husband does not expect to much from me when I get home so I do get to relax.

I hope everyone is doing well in fall rads and I'm looking to this being over before Christmas.

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

Sabrina-I went back to work last week, I'm pretty tired as well but a few hours away from csncer is a blessing!

Cris- Welcome! I've been wondering how you were doing, glad to see chemo is behind you & the home stretch is in sight.

Dara & Judy- praying rads goes well...I just finished 5...23 more to go!

Miko- I'm praying for you...

Brianne what a wonderful Doctor, hope you are feeling better.

Hope everyone has a minimal SE type of week

• Miko

tyty for your kind words

• SarahB1958
    SarahB1958 Member Posts: 1

I finished 21 radiation treatments on September 28th. It is five weeks today and I am still having terrible fatigue. Has anyone else here had severe fatigue this far out from treatment? Is this normal?

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894

Amusing, it's the upper body mold they use for rads to support me in the same position each time. It's similar to a small bean bag and they position me on the table, then suck all the air out. I'll use it each time to make the positioning more consistent.

Judy, hope today goes smoothly! Just think, at least you're now on your way to the finish line!

Miko, thinking good thoughts for you. You've got this, and everyone is here to support you. It's all daunting, but it seems a little less so once we are on the path of treatment and feel that at least we're doing something.

Brianek, that is such a good story about your doctor, and so considerate of him. I worry as I haven't been allowed to get a flu shot yet, and I worry anytime someone near me sneezes! (I hold my breath for a while! lol)

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526

Dara, I do the same thing! If someone coughs or sneezes near me, I hold my breath! LOL. My white counts are chronically low, so I try to be careful.

• boobsBgone
    boobsBgone Member Posts: 34

today is 5/25. my skin is holding up well and dr is happy about that, me too! I am so tired all the time and not sleeping well does not help. I was on sleep meds thru chemo, but cannot get the refiled since not on chemo anymore, so bought OTC meds, not as strong. I will talk to my pharmacist to see what he recommends now for OTC help.

Talking with my SIL, only 4-1/2 weeks more and I am done. I know they said rads will make you more tired, but this is ridiculous. At least it's not chemo SE anymore.

Sara: I heard that we stay tired for almost a year out from finishing rads. Be patient, your body and mind has gone through so much and still trying to recoup. I wish you great sleep and naps when you can take them.

Everyone have a great day!

• IHGJAnn49

I survived my first sim... they had to re do some of the pictures.. said I lost volume, and I looked in the mirror,, sure did.

I just about had to 'pry' myself off the table it hurt so much, but think part is due to collision too

They're taking more pics tomorrow, don't know if it will include the rads. They have me set up every day til Dec. 2 except for the 22, then I have 3.. but nothing over Thanksgiving...

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534

Sabrina, Imkopy - Good luck with work! I need to figure out when to start up again.

Brianne - Sounds like you have a great doctor!

SarahB - I think fatigue is normal and can last for several months after last treatment. How bad is it? I finished 2 1/2 weeks ago and had chemo before. I get tired after a few hours of anything, but I usually have energy when I first wake up.

Dara, LoveMyVizsla - I hold my breath when someone's coughing, too! I caught a cold from my husband when I first started rads. Fortunately, it didn't last long, but the breath hold was difficult when I needed to cough. All good now, but before BC, I normally would not have caught a cold. Guess my immune system is down still.

Bbg - I take melatonin to help me sleep. It may help with Tamoxifen as a bonus, but I don't think my dosage is high enough. Also, make sure you're getting protein and iron.

It's been 2 1/2 weeks, and the dark brown patch in my armpit started peeling this morning. Don't think I'll peel noticeabanywhere else. The rest of my skin just got a bit reddish, but I see areas starting to lighten. I have no open sores.

IHGJAnn - Collision? I got stiff at first, but started doing stretches and light exercise before treatment. It helped a lot.

Good luck this week!

• IHGJAnn49

Serenity, I got rear ended last friday... it takes a couple of days for the aches and pains to show up

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534

Ouch! I hope the aches go away soon.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233

Done with radiation!!! Insomnia, some blistering in the middle of my chest, itchy, a little burned under arm, but otherwise happy to be finished.

• Numbalina
    Numbalina Member Posts: 1

Throwing my "hat" in the radiation ring. I began treatments this past Monday. Only 30 more treatments to go.

Loopy

• IHGJAnn49

Congratulations Michele! I had my sim today, tomorrow they want more pictures.. said i lost volume...I'm down for it looks like 25, but that's how far the calendar page went. On the 22 I have 3, then 4 day weekend for Thanksgiving.. then back for the rest

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526

Yay Michelle!

Welcome Numbalina

• iz1999
    iz1999 Member Posts: 21

hello Clarkblue, I am getting ready to start 6 weeks of radiation, feeling a little nervou

• CourtneyS
    CourtneyS Member Posts: 1

Hey guys... pretty new here. Posted some things once or twice when I was first diagnosed and now found this group again when I was searching for a question. Finished radiation day number 7 today and I've been having pregnancy like nausea, sensitivity to food smells, food aversion, no appetite, etc and was wondering if anyone else had it. And, no, there is zero chance of me being pregnant. Thanks

• IHGJAnn49

Hi everyone... finished 1 of 30... only 29 more to go...

• boobsBgone
    boobsBgone Member Posts: 34

Way to go Michelle!

Courtney: I have had a little nausea but not too bad, had a saltine and it helped. I do still have loss of appetite and finding it hard to eat enough to maintain my weight. Good luck.

I am 6/25 as of today. Is anyone else having an emotional breakdown every other day? I feel in a horrible place and in tears most of the day. I have an apt to talk to a counselor finally - that should help me find ways to cope with all of this better than I am now.

May a butterfly cross your path and make you smile!

• IHGJAnn49

BBB, i just finished the first one and halfway through got hit with life... this is really happening... and of course you can't move...