Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Options

Comments

• caligirl55
    caligirl55 Member Posts: 407
    Options

Miko...so sorry you are having so many SE ..the emotions have hit me hard lately too

Amusing.... I have also heard of cold wash cloths soaked in green tea.

Katjadvm .... All I know is after a warm shower my radiation area is irritated and itchy afterwards but if you but a cold cloth on afterwards it may help. I use the Lindi skin strips just to cool my cooked area down. 😬

• Miko
    Miko Member Posts: 198
    Options

hi Caligirl: i finally returned to crossfit today. Gosh I didn't know how much I missed it. My trainer helped me stretch out my muscles and got my heart pumping. Should help me with my aches and pains and fatigue. After rads, all i want to do is come home and sleep

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Girls: here is a what not to do after rads..... finished rads Nov 2 and developed a hardened area which I began to massage. My radiation rash under my breast was reactivated somehow by massaging the tissue, nerves, etc. Advice..... no massage until you check with the radiologist.....Sick

• caligirl55
    Options

Thank you Michelle in..

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    Options

Hello everyone, it's been awhile but I finally made it one more session Monday, and that complete my six weeks. Then comes the boost. My skin didn't get red like sunburn until the end of fifth week. I dreaded and wanted to cancel the following Monday. The problem with me was the swelling under my left armpit and sore when I press on it. BS did ultrasounds and it was fine. But I'm pissed that neither BS or RO explain about my swelling? I was fine with my chest red but no peeling, flaky or blister just dark and red.

Anyway, I wanted to order Lindi roll and Miaderm but RO gave me silvadene which I applied to the chest after I slathered myself all over with aloe Vera plants, actually the gooey juice of plants. It feels soothing and I have three plants in the backyard. I cut one or two even bring it to work and slather my chest and armpit three times a day, especially right after radiation before dress.

As far as the boost and the extra week of rads, I feel that RO and the staff attitude is just get it done and over with. They don't tell u anything about your symptoms, wellness, prevention. I asked the RO about the dose of rads in the beginning, all I get was the standard six weeks. I will ask about the six weeks duration but he told me that the skin has to show the redness to be effective. My skin didn't get red until end of fifth week. So that makes sense . The boost I learned that sometimes the cancer cells hang around the incision line so it makes sense to do rads. My remedy for the skin also take Biotin for help with skin, hair, nails, and eat lots of protein for cells repair and production. Good luck ladies.

• Houston2016
    Options

I think sauna is too hot for the skin.that creates more heat. I have a bathtub with a Jacuzzi which I will use for my joint pain from Arimidex. Water massage helps I guess but the water has to be warm or cool. I wouldn't do it after radiation.

• JulieG7
    JulieG7 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I just got finished with Radiation on 1-12-17. I am starting to get a little energy back. But I still feel wiped out. I have stage 4BC. Also in a lot of my bones, and some in my Liver. I did 26 rounds of Radiation, and am taking Letrozole once a day. Radiation made my back a little red, but nothing compared to the Radiation therapy they did on my spine. I have 5 vertebrae's damaged, with 2 big rods in my back. 2 were completely eaten by Cancer, as my Doctor put me in Physical therapy which only caused more pain. Please do your homework on your Doctors, get another option. Good luck

Julie GODESIABOIS.

Flagstaff, Arizona

• caligirl55
    Options

Julie...welcome...so sorry for your bad experience. I can't wait to be done. Thx for sharing.

Houston....yay your almost done

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894
    Options

Julie, we're all in such a dilemma having to trust yet question doctors at the same time. We can only trust our gut, but not fear asking questions and getting additional opinions. Hang in there and I really hope you get a bit of relief soon.

• Samanthavt7091
    Samanthavt7091 Member Posts: 9
    Options

My RO nurse suggested Benadryl pills and cream for the itching.

• darab
    Options

That makes sense Samantha. I remember having a sunburn when I was little and it itched like crazy before it peeled. Then the water would just be crazy under the blisters. How's radiation going for you? How far along?

• Miko
    Options

oh my gosh, met with my ro yesterday and had the surprise of my life. He said i have only 8 treatments to go. Yahoooooo........ so i am 13/21 and no longer 13/33. The ct scan and xrays look good and he said 21 is ok. I was so excited I didn't ask why........i am just starting to burn a liitle too

• Houston2016
    Options

Hi Miko, that's great news, wonder why my RO recommended 30 plus 6 boosts. That's too much and it's made me mad when RO can't tell you why one needs more than another.

• Miko
    Options

yes Huston: it's strange I will ask my ro when i see him next week. My ro does not communicate very well and i am resigned to that. His office is very much like an assembly line and it is get one in and get one out :(. It just caught me by surprise and wanted to get out of there in case he changed his mind

• caligirl55
    Options

I wonder too ...probably since I have to do 33 treatments. Yes Miko...run in case he changes his mind

• Miko
    Options

Hi caligirl 👍 Fatigue has set in and this is my day now: work at 6 go to rads at 3:10 go straight home have a light dinner and take a bath and go straight to bed. Last nite i was in bed at 6 wow. Today i start propel maybe..... gotta check the sugar level since i am also diabetic. Hang in there rad sister

• darab
    Options

I had asked my technician about the different numbers and she said there were many factor, tumor size, stage, pathology report, and what the RO sees on the CT. That said, Cali, don't feel badly, I wound up with 36... 28 regular and 8 boosts.

Congrats Miko. Great news!

• Miko
    Options

tyty Dara for the info

• caligirl55
    Options

Thanks Dara!

I agree the fatigue has hit...I came home from work and rads ...made dinner and I know this sounds late for some but I was in bed by 9:30 ... I am a night person so even during chemo I couldn't sleep. I was a lump but an awake lump!!

7 more treatments...my skin feels so tight it could split and my underarm is very sore and burnt looking.

• Miko
    Options

Hi caligirl: hang in there - i also have the same probs tight skin on left side (swollen) and sore ribs some burning. NOW if i had tight right breast, I could look like a 20 something again LOL. Gosh can't wait for this to be done. Still got a nagging cough got to have that checked soon

• Houston2016
    Options

Hi ladies, my RO explained yesterday during weekly visit, that only women with lumpectomy with small tumor, no lymph nodes, can have four weeks rads. He said mine is six weeks because I have lymph nodes. This is OK I'm agreed to that.

I'm also dark under the arm pit and the dry skin is peeling. Does anyone know of a safe, gentle cream or lotion used for dryness? Thanks.

• Miko
    Options

Hi Huston: ty for sharing. You are right. I had no tumor only califications and mico cells in my one node. Left side so i am prone. I have been using miadermL and in between using 100% aloe gel. It's been working out pretty good. After 15 treatments only slight redness no peeling yet.

• bagsharon
    bagsharon Member Posts: 142
    Options

The shorter courses of radiation have stronger doses but less of them. You end up getting the same amount of radiation overall.

• Miko
    Options

oooo tyty Bagsharon: good to know my short zaps in the beginning has now changed to much longer zaps

• Houston2016
    Options

Hi Miko, lucky you (for having shorter rads), I'm guessing you probably won't need chemo either.

• caligirl55
    Options

Houston....I was given Eucerin by the rad techs, given Jeans cream by my BS & RO and aloe Vera comes highly recommended by some.

• Miko
    Options

hi Houston: no chemo for me. I was ready and put in my paperwork for retirement. But, i was able to continue working which has helped me take my mind off treatment.

• Leydi
    Leydi Member Posts: 53
    Options

Miko - I am also diabetic so I drink Powerade Zero which doesn't contain sugar.

• darab
    Options

Had my 1 month post rads appt yesterday and everything is perfect. Skin is completely healed and fatigue is so much better. I've rejoined my old pottery studio and have been throwing for the past 3 day and having a ball. Life really does go on, it already seems like just a long bad dream! Hang in there ladies, you've all got this!

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408
    Options

Hi Everyone.. on the question who decides our treatments.. my RO gave me three options, 5 to 6 weeks, 3 to 4 weeks and 1 week. I took the mid one and it's worked well