Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Options

Comments

• Miko
    Miko Member Posts: 198
    Options

Hi Leydi: ooo tyty I will pick some up on the way home after rads πŸ‘

Hi Dara: yahoo great news I am so happy to hear about u returning to pottery -fantastic

Hi IGH: oooo I glad you had the chance to choose. No choice here - everything is on a wing and a prayer. It's just come wait in line with all the others get your treatment and off you go

• Miko
    Options

ok, I am going to try Vital Reds to help with my energy and alertness.... may or may not help I will let you all know good or bad. Will start tomorrow

• Miko
    Options

i just started the first of 5 boosts. Now I am on my back, i wonder if that is safe for left side treatment. The tech said that they use electrons instead of photons and it is aimed at the tumor site.

• caligirl55
    caligirl55 Member Posts: 407
    Options

Miko...my last week is next week ...didn't get to meet with my RO so wonder if this week will be my boosts

• Miko
    Options

hi Caligirl: it might be. I didn't find out until i went into the room.surprise surprise. The boosts are fast but i think i got more of a burn. It will be rough next week.

• Miko
    Options

caligirl, i think i meet with my ro when i am done with the boosts

• BookMaven
    BookMaven Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi all,

I've been lurking, reading all the really useful information posted by you all. Thanks for sharing all of your tips and experiences, it has help me tremendously. I am currently undergoing radiation therapy, today is day 10 of 33 treatments. I have been having really intense hot flashes ever since I started radiation therapy, pretty much from day one. I'm not having chemo, and I am not on the aromatase inhibitor yet, so I know it is not from that. When I asked the RO, she said that it was not a side effect of treatment, which I find truly hard to believe, as I don't think the flashes are coincidental. Has anyone else had this issue? Other than that any SEs are minimal, a little irritation under the arm, I think my very large breast is slighly reddened. I'm kind of worried about burning, sores etc, as the RO has mentioned burning several times to me.... I think she suspects that I'm going to have issues. On a side note, I noticed the atmosphere/conditions are very depressing, moving us through like cattle. The techs are so nice, and the RO is pleasant, but pretty much doesn't say anything unless you specifically ask. My first few sessions, the other patients pretty much avoided eye contact, and I felt like I was breaching some unknown etiquette rule when I said hello. The last couple of days it has gotten better - I ran into someone who works at the same hospital I do. Very nice and friendly, so it makes waiting for treatment a bit less depressing. I will be glad when I can say goodbye to radiation, and move on with my life, hopefully cancer free.

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894
    Options

Bookhaven, glad to have you posting but sorry you have to have rads. Each clinic really is different. I can't say I loved radiation, but the people were unreal. Several of us waiting became friends, sharing, talking etc. I even brought little bouquets as a couple finished ahead of me and then when I finished one brought me a little box of chocolates. And the techs were wonderful. We talked non-stop about family, things we were doing, etc. One was so excited after Christmas she hugged me and showed me an engagement ring she was given for Christmas. I must say it helped the whole experience go quickly for me and made me feel less like a patient. I saw my RO once a week and he was fine, just more matter-of-fact.

Why don't those working in this type of environment realize what it takes to go there day after day? I did go first thing in the morning and the techs said early morning patients tended to be more talkative.

So sorry you're having some hot flashes after rads. Everyone reacts differently and you need to just try to address whatever is going on with you. I used ice packs often and it made me feel better. Hang in and ck in with us whenever you wish.

• Miko
    Options

Hi Bookhaven: please be sure to use a good moisturizer, aloe gel and miaderm L. I have bee using one of these if not all during the 16/21 visits for treatment. I have alot of breast pain so i use miaderm L more frequently (4times a day). I use aloe at nite. Since I began boosts i am only now starting to get a little red, i believe the creams and gels helped. My ro is a bit "matter of fact". But warming up to me a little. Hang in there and keep a positive outlook

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408
    Options

Miko, I was on my back for all the rads and boosts and my left side.. didn't have a problem.. praying you zip through them too

• Miko
    Options

IGH: wow technology just blows me away. There are also so many choices too. Lol, I didn't have a choice tho. It was here is the plan see you tomorrow. Tyty for the heads up, your insight takes alot of stress off my mind. I was planning to ask the techs on Monday, but after treatment, all i can think about is getting out of there

• caligirl55
    Options

Broohaven....welcome ...sorry you are here. I have had a few hit flashes during rads. I've learned from these sites that the RO will usually say the SE aren't from radiation ...ok whatever!!

I am burnt and toasty ...I look like someone left me at the beach all day with my left armpit & boob exposed. My armpit feels like the skin is so tight it's going to split plus it burns ...my nipple feels like it belongs to some one else it just throbs....it is all do able but I'm ready for it to be over. I just keep using my lotions & potions throughout the day ....mbut that's hard to do at work. 5 more to go!!

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    Options

Hi Calligirl, I'm using aloe Vera plants 100%, and Aquaphor cream, but doesn't seem to help. My chest looks like a piece of steak, skin is intact but skin under my ribs hurt like crazy, left armpit has peeled 3/4 already, should I use Eucerin cream from the jar, I've been using it for hands and feet forever no one at Rads mentioned it. I also feel like not finish the last two boosts on Monday, and Tuesday, the damage has been done already.

• Miko
    Options

well tomorrow is 2/5 boosts, after friday which was 1/5 I am still feeling symtomps ( not according to r/o). Whatever, i am more burnt than the 15 reg rad treatments i already had . My nipple is dark almost dark brown and around my areola is bright red. My breast and chest muscles ache really bad and my persistent cough has not gone away. This the the first time since treatment I needed to take asprin all weekend. The treatmenr itself was very fast but the symptoms were more pronounce. Well, i guess more of the this is in store for me. I have started to used aloe more often and cover my breast with a nursing pad and reapply almost ever few hours. I started using the miaderm L at nite for the muscle pain.

• Miko
    Options

Met with RO today and he said the machine I am being treated with is different as it provides a shallow type beam so safe for lung and heart. I am glad. He said I don't have to meet with him untill June. So that's great too my last appt is Thursday. Tyty to all on this board forhelping me through my lumpy and rads. I could not have done it without all your help

• caligirl55
    Options

Houston...I feel your pain with feeling like a burnt piece of meat...today went in for radiation & since I was in so much pain they had me see the RO first ...my armpit has split so they cancelled radiation till Thursday and prescribed silvadene to help it heal fast.

Miko...hope you start healing soon since your almost done. I'm disappointed I'm going to be behind now but not much I can do.

• darab
    Options

Cali, so very sorry about your skin. Believe me I feel your pain! Just keep using the silvadene cream. I did find that a cool washcloth on bare skin also helped ease the pain and heat a bit. I found I laid on the bed topless with the washcloth for a little relief. Do you have any pain meds from surgery etc? Even my tech said to go ahead and use them if I had them (which I did.)

Congrats Miko on almost reaching the finish line. I had to see my RO 1 month post rads and then 3 months from that. Celebrate Thursday!

• Miko
    Options

yes Dara can't wait for thursday πŸ‘ I follow up with RO in 4 months - hope he has good news since it will also be my birthday

• caligirl55
    Options

Dara...thank you... I have no good pain meds...the Norco from chemo makes me feel strange ...Vicodin & codiene give me odd side effects ....like my mind won't stop thinking and I get antsy so all I've taken is Aleve or ibuprofen ...which haven't been real helpful. Maybe my anxiety meds from chemo would calm me?

Miko...your almost there...yay

• Miko
    Options

hi all: i am done yea πŸ‘ Tyty to all who helped me along the way. I wanted to share with those who are suffering from burning. I am after my boosts...... today the boost machine was practically on my breast, so I am a little more than toasty. I decided to try my Lindi skin roll..... i had it in the refrigerator and it was nice and cold. I followed directions and cut it to the size I needed (small ) maybe 5 x 5 since my treatment was focused on the nipple. Wow it was soooo wonderful..... cool and soothing. The only problem is that it sticks really well to the breast but it doesn't stay there. So i am wearing a tank top to help hold it in place. Lindi skin is a wonderful gel sheet that is hydrated........it says to keep on for twenty minutes. I need to figure out how to wear this at work. Maybe if I put it underneath my bra and wear a nursing pad it might work. I just love this gel sheet

• caligirl55
    Options

Miko....so happy for you!! Congrats! I love the Lindi skin roll. I rinse the strips I've used and put in a zip lock and refrigerate to reuse a couple times. Hope you celebrate a bit this weekend

• Miko
    Options

ooo tyty Caligirl such a good hint. I love it feels great πŸ‘Thank you for the kind wishes. I think about u everday my rad sister

• Seraphima
    Seraphima Member Posts: 52
    Options

Miko,

Welcome, and sorry you have to be here. But it's a good place to find help and support. :)

I just wanted to say that some do have weird side effects. My RO pretty much denied that ANYTHING was a SE of rads, said he'd never heard of anyone get fatigue from them.

But beginning with the first scan, I had strange symptoms. And being that it happened at the same time, in the same area, I'm pretty sure it was caused by the whole process. But no one else experienced some of the things I did, which can make you feel kind of strange. Just please do know that we are all different, and sometimes I guess we are very different.

I hope your symptoms improve, and you can be as comfortable as possible. And you'll be done soon!

• Miko
    Options

hi seraphima: i had and still have symptoms beginning and during rads. My ro said not related we'll monitor it. I had and still have fatigue, muscle pain, deep breast pain and persistent cough. HUM i finished yesterday and my cough is worse following the boosts. Will get help from my Pulmonologist, maybe rads aggravated my asthma.

• darab
    Options

Miko, I had a persistent cough all during rads that everyone kept asking about. It completely cleared up a couple of weeks post rads (as did all of my symptoms except for fatigue.) Now I'm just having issues with the AI I'm taking. See my MO on Monday so will ask about the joint and bone pain. Take care all.

• Miko
    Options

Hi Dara: tyty for letting me know about your symtoms. I thought i was the only one. I went to my Pulmonologist who is running some tests. I also went to see my rheumatologist and she is monitoring me for joint pain. I already was diagnosed with a psoriatic arthritis but it really wasn't bothering me much. But after and during rads I started to flare. I don't know if the symptoms are coming from rads or femara since they started at the same time. Both doctors said it might be. My rheumatologist is a cancer survivor so she has insight on some of what I am feeling. Be well and tyty again

• caligirl55
    Options

Feeling so good to not have go to radiation each day. Glad it's all over

• Miko
    Options

yeah CaligirlπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

• caligirl55
    Options

Thanks Miko

• Miko
    Options

Hi eveyone: just curious, how long after radiation, is the first mammogram done? How did it go for anyone who had one done? It's the next hurdle