Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Options

Comments

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408
    Options

Miskatonic, Congratulations!!! Welcome to the After sideSmile

• Miko
    Miko Member Posts: 198
    Options

that would be great AmusingSoprano, too late for me BUT might help others on the future ❤️ I wish these drs in Hawaii would get with the program. We always seem one step behind .

• Miko
    Options

well i picked up my Femara this morning and will start it on Jan 1st. Should I be looking at morning or evenings any plus or minuses on either? I am hoping this pill journey is uneventful had quite enough of surgery- worry - rads -worry.

• IHGJAnn49
    Options

Miko, I can't say anything about Femara, I'm on Arimidex and I take it in the morning with other meds.. I had hot flashes at first, but now don't notice anything.. I do have osteoporosis, so have to take calcium and vit. D.. I get a Prolia shot tomorrow.. and praying it goes well.. no se's

• darab
    darab Member Posts: 894
    Options

Miko, I too take Arimidex, and take it in the morning. At first I had a queasy stomach, but was also just starting rads so not sure to which it should be attributed. It went away completely after a few weeks regardless.

I also take calcium with D and will have bone density tests every year.

• caligirl55
    caligirl55 Member Posts: 407
    Options

No help with hormone therapy since I am triple negative BC.

• brigid_to
    brigid_to Member Posts: 22
    Options

Hi Everyone

Miskatonic and DarB -yeah for finishing! ThumbsUp

I am now 9 out of 21 treatments with my second week finished so a little further down the line. Not a lot to report- just trying to fit into a routine, their routine that is- how to swipe in, where to go, how to position etc. The staff have been professional and pleasant. The hospital where I am receiving my treatment does about 400 treatments per day so they are nothing if not efficient. It is a drab and dreary space though.

My breast is holding up well but I don't think that is unusual this early on- the lightest of colour change. I am keeping an eye on my arm because it feels stiff-- I have had a few bouts of frozen shoulder over the years and would really like to avoid problems. The rad therapist I have the most rapport with tells me that usually after 10 treatments is when you start to see skin changes so we will see what next week brings.

Onward!

• Miko
    Options

tyty IGH,Dara and Caligirl - dr was going to start me on tamoxifen but decided to go with Femara because of my other health problems. My sister in lawwho also had bc and had a mastectomy is on armidex and is now having alot of joint pain. I am hoping for minimal symtoms, i am apprehensive but know it is a necessary form of treatment.

• caligirl55
    Options

Miko....you will do great ...with your good attitude that's very helpful. Moving on to 2017

• Miko
    Options

tyty caligirl this board and friends like you have made this journey an easy one

• darab
    Options

So, I'm wondering about how long it took you all to get your skin back to normal if you had a reaction to the rads? Is it about a week to 10 days? I had problems with the regular rads that have now healed up, but also burned pretty badly with the boosts. I look like I have a target on my left breast. It includes the nipple area because of where my incision was. The tech told me that usually her patients don't really react to the boosts, but I'm so fair skinned that it reacted strongly. I'm just coating it constantly with everything I've got. Hope it heals quickly!

But I'm so happy to be done and believing I'm starting 2017 cancer free! I feel so free not having umpteen appointments scheduled. I signed up for a new pottery class yesterday! It's been 8 months since I left the studio in tears knowing (and not knowing!) what was ahead! 'What a joyful feeling to come out the end!

• IHGJAnn49
    Options

Dara, I still have the tan.. but I sloshed the aloe on it constantly, my nipple got a good dose and looks like a target too.. I guess it just takes time.. and it's great to start a new year withOUT BC

• darab
    Options

Thanks Judy. I'd be fine with the tan, but it's the beet red burns on the skin that is so painful. It's only from the boosts. The terrible blisters I had from the other rads has already healed. I'm keeping all the creams flowing.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

Dara - Congrats on finishing! We do have different reactions. The area that received the boosts was the first to heal and is now back to original color. It took about a week for the sensitivity to go away there. I still have a slight tan on my torso under my arm and the lowest treated area along my ribs. My underarm took the longest to heal (about 4 weeks). Happy healing!

• bagsharon
    bagsharon Member Posts: 142
    Options

Dara, my doc told me that the worst side effects would come a week after my last treatment. I too had boosts near the nipple and it is a hot mess but everywhere else is just tan. It doesn't help that my nipple became inverted after the lumpectomy. I'm not sure if I should pull it out to get the cream around it or leave it be.

• Miko
    Options

Hi all: did anyone have rads in the prone position? I am very small breasted and my bc is on the left. I already had temp tattos on my back and will have permanent ones on Thursday. I was just wondering if anyone had symptoms to the skin on their back

• Variable
    Variable Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi Miko,

I was treated in the prone position and had no trouble with the skin on my back. I actually found the prone position better for my mental tolerance too as I could not see the machine moving around me. Good luck!

• Miko
    Options

tyty variable for sharing, moving foward without too much apprehension

• Katjadvm
    Katjadvm Member Posts: 117
    Options

Hi everyone. I just had my tenth treatment today and my skin is now starting to get a little pink. I have been using the mepitel one bandages and no creams. Any one else out there using the bandages? I know it is common in New Zealand, but the docs in the US don't recommend anything that would take away from their earnings, so only recommend creams. I am a little pissed off about it. Figured this was the best place to vent.

• caligirl55
    Options

Katjadvm...had my #10 today too. I am using my creams my doctors didn't recommend bandages at all.

I'm doing well with my Jeans Cream but bought Miaderm L and Lindi skin roll. I am ready if needed.

Dara...so happy you can move on now.

• Licata519
    Licata519 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Miko, nobody told me anything about my back, so when it itched, I scratched. Turned out it was directly behind my lymph node shots, and was the same skin reaction. It's gone away now.

• Dizzybee
    Dizzybee Member Posts: 115
    Options

It's two weeks today since I finished, and I feel like I've got no energy at all. I pretty much sailed through rads, only had 15 and no boosts so it was easy really. And my skin turned pink and a bit blotchy, but never broke down. I didn't really feel tired all the way through.

But now I am suddenly struggling, I can't wake up in the mornings and I struggle to have the energy to get stuff done. I do take my dog for a walk every day, but now I'm taking the shorter path. If I do stuff in the house, I have to take a break. I can't imagine how I could work through this, so I'm glad I don't have that worry.

I thought once the rads were over, and we got everything back to normàl after Christmas, that I'd be my old self again, I'd be starting off 2017 fixed.

So I'm hoping this stage is over quickly, I need to get on with things!

• Miko
    Options

tyty Licata for sharing gotta start tomorrow, but still got this lingering cough from the bad cold/flu i caught on the 1st. Need to call radiologist and see if i can still proceed as planned

• caligirl55
    Options

Dizzy....that stinks..I go back to work next week and I still have 23 treatments left through January. Hope your energy returns soon.

Miko...keep us posted regarding tomorrow. They may delay it ..darn

• joyandpiece
    joyandpiece Member Posts: 27
    Options

Hi again ladies. I took a break from the forums to get my mind off of BC for a little while. That is not an easy task.

Dara, I am almost 4 weeks out and things are doing better, but not all the way cleared up. I had no cracking or moist des. but it is still sensitive sometimes and my breast is still uncomfortable. My nipple has gone from looking like a prune to almost normal though. Progress!

Miko, I had rads in the prone position. I had no problems with the skin on my back. In fact, the exact treated area was (and still is) easy to see due to redness or a tan. Mine was very well targeted. I do hope your cold doesn't delay treatment. It was one of my biggest fears because of the prone position.

Dizzybee - good for you that you are still out walking! It will get better. Don't forget your body is still healing. A friend told me to have goals, but make them flexible. My New Year's goal was to wear my pretty underwire bras again. That lasted a whole two hours until things got irritated! Lol! Guess I'll have to be flexible on the start date for that :

• amusingsoprano
    amusingsoprano Member Posts: 77
    Options

Katjadvm, I am in New Zealand and had the Mepitel film on for the whole treatment period (5 weeks plus 10 days afterwards). If you use it, definitely do not use any creams on the area as they will compromise the effectiveness.

I too think it is crazy to have an amazing product and method which has been clinically proven to prevent moist desquamation and used for years here, and have doctors not even willing to even have a look at the trial data etc.

• Miko
    Options

Hi Caligirl and JoyandPeace: I called the rads center and they told me to come in anyway as long as I don't have a fever going. I am relieved that I can move forward with no more delays. We shall see once i get there :)

• Katjadvm
    Katjadvm Member Posts: 117
    Options

Has anyone else noticed that their RO is like a "pitch man" or TV used car salesman? Or did I just win the lottery with the group I go to. I have met three and only one had a genuine personality. Has anyone asked their RO why they are not recommending the bandages? I will pay $300 out of pocket for the bandages that will hopefully (knock on wood) continue to keep my skin in good shape. That is a small price to pay for my health and comfort. Fortunately, I am also able to afford it! Hope everyone is well.

• Weneke6
    Weneke6 Member Posts: 20
    Options

I had a really great RO and nurse. She was funny, answered all questions and spent a lot of time with me and my husband. Both were awesome people. Gave me both their direct pagers if needed. I was at Mayo.

• GonnaBePoz
    GonnaBePoz Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hi. Just joining this group. I began radiation at the beginning of December and will finish January 26. I've noticed a loss of appetite in the last couple of weeks, which is really unusual for me, especially around the holidays. When I went in for rads Tuesday, the tech weighed me, and I had lost 5 pounds. Is anyone else experiencing this? Could this be related to radiation?