Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone getting ready to start Radiation in Fall 2016?

Options

Comments

• Myraknits
    Myraknits Member Posts: 191
    Options

I weigh exactly the same as I did before DX but now I have a belly! I always had a flat belly and now there's this thing... Kinda of disconcerting since my clothes are too tight. I think it may be from lack of exercise all year. Hope it goes away!

• ayr1016
    ayr1016 Member Posts: 156
    Options

Today was the end of week 2 (#10 treatment) and I'm pretty sure I have lost at least 5 pounds. I'm drinking a lot of water but I have been nauseous with a lack of appetite since the start of rads. I am eating crackers and some rice when I can handle it. My goal was to continue to eat very healthy with upping my protein. That was thrown out the door last week when I realized I just need to eat something that I can keep down that won't come back up.

I'm curious - what sleeping position do you all sleep in? I wonder if it matters in regards to irritation because of pressure points on the breasts. I sleep on my back. Not because I prefer it, but because a few years back, my arm starting going numb if I slept on my side. I was a left side sleeper. My BC is on the left side. I can not imagine sleeping on my left side at this point at all so I'm glad I am used to sleeping on my back. I feel like it makes it easier for me to put something in between my underarm and side and under my breasts. But, I could be fooling myself ;)

Happy resting and recuperating this weekend everyone.

• s1d1c1u1
    s1d1c1u1 Member Posts: 48
    Options

I planned on upping my protein and cutting some carbs, but I really just don't have an appetite. All I had today was cold cut sandwich and 1/2 protein bar.

I prefer left side sleeping even though bc was on left side but switch between both sides and back throughout the night. Left side doesn't bother me, but the port on the right side sometimes gives me issues. Can't wait to get that sucker out. Was supposed to come out today, but surgeon had an emergency and couldn't do it.

Sabrina

• ClarkBlue
    ClarkBlue Member Posts: 30
    Options

I had my final "prep" appointment today at the RO and am ready to being on Monday. There is absolutely no music and I'm stuck with my thoughts! LOL...

I showed the doc the Lindi wraps and lotion and he was fine with me trying them, and said if it goes well then maybe he would recommend them to other patients - so I'm kind of the guinea pig hahaha.

Also, the shortened my treatments from 35 to 28 - woo hoo! He said that he did that because normally when he has patients who had a mastectomy it's because they HAD to due to small margins. But in my case, since I opted for one due to family history, my margins were HUGE and because of that, I didn't need the boost treatments. YAY!! Finally some good news.

-Keely

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

I sleep on my back most of the time. It does make it easy to elevate your arm especially after surgery. If I have trouble sleeping, I might sleep on either side. Port side doesn't bother me anymore. MO wants me to keep the port for 2 years. We'll see when reconstruction time comes next year.

Session 4 of 20 took about a half hour, but they were an hour late. Pop Rock was station of the day. Haven't eaten much today (prunes and leftover onion soup). I'm trying to fight off a cold going around the house. My throat is a little sore. I do feel hungry, so I'll try to eat more at dinner.

Keely - Yay for less treatments! Mine went from 7 weeks to 5 weeks to 19-21 days. I didn't ask why. I was too happy.

• TNpotato
    TNpotato Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hi all! Just checking in and hoping everyone enjoys the 'zapless' weekend ahead of us! :)

I just finished 14/33(?) rads and my third weekly Cisplatin (used as a radiosensitizer) and am doing pretty well. This week I've started getting a bit pink and have liked going braless at night as much as I can. (LifeAloft - Not having a bra during the day is not an option for me either! :))

My treatment lasts about 20 mins and I get zapped 6 times, from back and front. (4 short zaps, 2 long ones) They're had issues getting me lined up this week though so I've had lots of films and delays. :^/ Plus I use the 'snorkel breathing gear' which makes me paranoid my asthma will kick in while I'm mid treatment. Luckily I've been able to manage not totally hyperventilating on the table! lol The techs have been awesome so they help to relax me, keep me from feeling too claustrophobic or stressed...

ayr1016 - I like sleeping on my left side (right side has the bc) and I stuff a fluffy pillow against my chest so my boob kind of rests on it. lol It's cooler and I can drape my arm across the pillow, let's my armpit be cooler on the pillow as well. But I often roll onto my back as well, and I'm not a normal back sleeper - I'm a front sleeper - but that's not going to happen for awhile I figure!

Bagsharon - I would talk to your MO and RO about the timetable, I think a lot of timing is based on how well you are feeling and what your blood work/white counts look like. I was able to start rads 19 days after surgery and had stopped taking Xeloda two weeks before the surgery. So the time between first day of rads and last day chemo was 33 days.

• Heathet
    Heathet Member Posts: 117
    Options

hi Keely - keep me posted on the Lindi wraps! I'll be starting rads in Nov/Dec and I'm super fair skinned! Another lady recommended lanolin lotion for protection and moisture. I met with my RO before chemo just to get some info but I have a ton more questions now ! I'll see her in Nov again to start the process. She said they want to see a reaction from the skin, like a sunburn. Yikes!

• ayr1016
    Options

I just looked up the lindi wraps. Very interested to see how it goes for you ClarkBlue

• labscientistmom
    labscientistmom Member Posts: 63
    Options

I will join here too. Finish last chemo on Oct 4th, then due to start rads end of October. Waiting for authorization to make appt for CT scan and tatoos, as well as pre-rads mammo (uugh). Thanks ClarkBlue for starting this. :) A

• Unbreakable01
    Unbreakable01 Member Posts: 54
    Options

I have my consultation on Wednesday and should start fairly soon. A new lump developed a year after my initial diagnosis. nice I didn't have rads the first time around it's recommended this time.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    Options

Sorry Unbreakable. That is one of my worst fears. :-/.

• ClarkBlue
    ClarkBlue Member Posts: 30
    Options

Hi Heathet and labs!! Yay!! My RO was interested in the Lindi products and I'm excited to use them. I'll keep everyone posted!

-keel

• jenco60
    jenco60 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Beware of under arm burns. It happens more for heavier women then skinny women. The skin blisters under the folds of skin and then burns and itches. Happened to me a treatment 20. I don't know how I am going to make it through 10 more. See picture attached. So uncomfortable and I work full time. Hard to wear clothes or a bra.

• jenco60
    jenco60 Member Posts: 7
    Options

RadiaDres Clear Hydrogel Sheets, I am checking out these and will keep you posted. This girl put a great Youtube together about radiation treatment:

• Unbreakable01
    Unbreakable01 Member Posts: 54
    Options

Lovemy my type of cancer is thankfully not aggressive I guess it's just persistent.

• LifeAloft
    LifeAloft Member Posts: 69
    Options

Sorry to hear Unbreakable, hopefully rads will clear things up.

Jenco60, ouch! Looks painful! Does your RO recommend anything for that? I have a spot under my breast that I'm a little worried about, it's itchy and sometimes looks almost purple. I'm only about half way through.

Welcome to all the rads newbies, I'm about half way done and so far it's going pretty quickly.

• Sunnyskies2016
    Sunnyskies2016 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks for all the great info on here! I just started last week and am 2/33. I stocked up on aloe, miaderm and auqaphor and am applying as often as I can. I am set up to go over lunch hours and hoping the fatigue I keep hearing about won't affect that. I'm going to have to figure out a bra or something as going without won't be an option. I appreciate all the info as I travel this journey

• LifeAloft
    LifeAloft Member Posts: 69
    Options

Oh! And I think someone may have mentioned this before but it's worth repeating. My bra had been driving me crazy and making meitch, this morning I put on a soft men's tshirt UNDER my bra and it has worked wonders to keep the elastic of my bra off my skin. I look pretty ridiculous, but it's worth it :)

• ayr1016
    Options

Jenco60 - looks so painful. What are you currently using?

ETA: I watched the video and then clicked on the woman's other videos. Such a beautiful and brave woman.

• boobsBgone
    boobsBgone Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi all - what a wealth of information. I had chemo, and abruptly stopped due to a long hospital stay (3/6 infusions), then a few weeks ago I had DMX (no recon) on 9/13 and still healing from that. My rad consult apt is 10/10 - so I have my list of questions more complete thanks to all of your information.

I am going to buy some of the creams to get started when I heal, right now I still have sterile strips on my ugly scar. I have reacted poorly to chemo and anesthesia from sx, so I am hoping for better results from rads, but knowing me - I'll burn and blister, so I am taking good notes from your comments.

I agree that this is tough, but glad everyone speaks up with how they manage. your strength truly helps, thank you. I will continue to follow and post after my consult. Stay Strong!

• ayr1016
    Options

My RO asked me if I was doing anything fun today when he first came in and I said "no" and he chuckled and said "go do something fun and celebrate being a third of the way done". :)

• Reikion
    Reikion Member Posts: 25
    Options

Jenco60 - I used cornstarch powder in the underarm area when it was really sore. That helped a lot. It helped by keeping the area dry and reducing friction when I had to be at work. At home I used Aloe Vera in the morning and Calendula cream at night.

I finished my 25 treatments on Sept. 20 (last Tuesday). The last few days, the skin started turning dark and turned really red and then almost black once treatment was done. It felt worse for the few days after last treatment, but am feeling much better now. Continuing use of Aloe and Calendula. Doctor gave me Silvadene cream on last day and I used it a couple of times, but I like the Calendula better.

Skin is now starting to peel in the underarm area, but doesn't hurt - there is new skin underneath.

I am hoping the cornstarch will help you.

All the best,

Reikion

• LoveMyVizsla
    Options

Met with my RO today. Her resident thanked me for having such a good attitude. :-D

RO is worried about my skin. She might cut my treatment short. :-O She is going to a CT scan next week and then decide.

• josieg
    josieg Member Posts: 13
    Options

Had my last day (21/21) today!! I feel I fared pretty well - chest got very very itchy and a little flaky, but not too bad. Also seemed to avoid fatigue. I haven't taken any time off work at all so decided to take tomorrow off as a celebration.

Not sure if JPD1711 is around - she was concerned about her RO not telling her to hold her breath for radiation on left side. I wanted to share that for my last 5 boosts I did not have to hold my breath - my RO said it was coz I was having electron energy not photon energy!

BTW I was given a certificate (see photo!)

today which I thought was a nice touch. I also used the opty to go public on Facebook since I felt it was a positive way to post the news. Next step tamoxifen!

Best of luck to everyone as they go through this - thinking of you all xx

• bbbb
    bbbb Member Posts: 7
    Options

2nd of 28 treatments today. It only took about 5 minutes to zap me - I literally walked in at 4:30 and walked out at 4:45 - wow if only It was closer to my house! The nurses have been so great at scheduling around my work and other appointments. Was only told to get aloe and hydrocortisone cream - I hope this is all I will need! I am checking to other posts here to be prepared just in case that's not enough. Nurse told me I could use deodorant without aluminum and I found some Toms' natural deodorant and it seems to be working good - at least I think it is! Hoping the next 5 weeks pass quickly!

• LoveMyVizsla
    Options

Congrats Josie!!

Today was 16/30 for me. I started peeling yesterday, just a fine layer. Last week they made a couple of adjustments. Today they brought in the dosimetrist and physicist! They wanted to see how the field was hitting me. They asked me to exhale and just take tiny breaths while the machine was on, to keep my left side from entering the field. Wonder if they will have a different plan tomorrow.

• josieg
    josieg Member Posts: 13
    Options

Congrats to being over half way LoveMyVizsla! I had to google what a dosimetrist was :).

bbbb the weeks will go by fast and you are doing the right things. I only had hydrocortisone and aloe too, and also used Tom's. Good luck!!

• MarcellaPa
    MarcellaPa Member Posts: 65
    Options

Congrats Josieg!

I had my last today also (30/30). What a great feeling to be over this hurdle!

Good luck to all as you move ahead with your treatments.

Marcella

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

MarcellaPa and josieg - Congrats on finishing!

LoveMyViszla - Hope they can come up with a new plan that works better for you.

bbbb - Your treatments are fast! I'm lucky to get out in 30 mins. I'm usually on the table at least 45 mins.

Had 6 of ~20. I've been fighting off a cold. It was hard to do the breath hold yesterday, but today was much better. Got home and napped.

• ayr1016
    Options

Congrats MarcellaPa and josieg !