Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited May 2017
    Silly pup.

What's that exercise for?
  • SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited May 2017

She has been very silly today.

It's an exercise to loosen the muscles around the shoulder. It's from an exercise DVD. I have more hamstring flexibility to do the exercise, but I felt better after doing some of the other shoulder exercises.

I get a really good stretch deep in my shoulder (mastectomy side) with this next one. Hold for a few minutes.

This next one helps ease tight neck and shoulders. I make big circles. I tilt my head front and back letting my upper back bend forward and back. I go in both directions.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

I record Classical Stretch on PBS, but I haven't done one lately until today. The episode focusing on the spine felt really good. She has you moving your arms like windmills scooping up water while lunging.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017
  • faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited May 2017

Serenity, Thank you, that was wonderful and beautiful! That is really mental floss. Thanks for keeping this thread going. I don't always post, but I usually always read. It helps to me to refresh

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

Faith - Thanks! Trying to savor good moments no matter how small. I find myself smiling and laughing more as a result.

I woke up this morning with the good discomfort from having exercised. Qi Gong, nerve flossing, and the postural alignment exercises have helped with my sciatica, but they aren't strenuous enough. Classical Stretch is a good step in getting my muscles back. I did the same episode again this morning.

• gardengypsy
    edited May 2017

Serenity: So many things to try! How do I know which Classical Stretch to buy? There are nine "seasons."

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

Do you get PBS from Vermont? They play it almost every day at 6 AM. I record it on my PVR. Looks like they're playing Season 10 right now.

http://www.vpt.org/epguide?series=15432

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

Well, I'll try. My focus is improving, but never considered working on unfocusing.

From Harvard Health blog:

Secret to brain success: Intelligent cognitive rest

Many people do focused brain exercises to help develop their thinking. Some of these exercises work, while others do not. Regardless, the focus network in the brain is not the only network that needs training. The "unfocus" network needs training too.

The "unfocus network" (or default mode network)

Called the default mode network (DMN), we used to think of the unfocus network as the Do Mostly Nothing network. And this network uses more energy than any other network in the brain, consuming 20% of the body's energy while at rest. In fact, effort requires just 5% more energy. As you can imagine, this network is doing anything but "resting" even though it operates largely under the conscious radar. Instead, when you turn your "focus" brain off, it will retrieve memories, link ideas so that you become more creative, and also help you feel more self-connected too. Somewhat surprisingly, although the DMN is involved in representing and understanding your self, it also helps you read the minds of others. No wonder then, with all these functions on board, this network metaphorically converts your brain into a crystal ball, allowing you to predict things more accurately too. This is the kind of sharpness that you will develop if you train the DMN.

There are many ways to activate the DMN. Below are some that will give you a good start.

Surprising ways to train the default mode network

Some simple interventions could help you engage this network, depending on your goal.

Napping: If, for example, you are dog tired in the midafternoon, and just need your mind to be clear, a 10-minute nap might be all you need for sharper thinking. But if you have a major creative project ahead of you, whether it is an innovative idea at work, or redecorating your house, you will need at least 90-minutes of napping time. This gives your brain enough time to shuttle around ideas to make the associations that it needs to make.

Positive constructive daydreaming (PCD): It's hard to imagine daydreaming as a type of training, but it is. It has to be the right type of daydreaming. According to Jerome Singer, who has studied this for decades, slipping into a daydream is not of much use; neither is guiltily rehashing everything that makes you feel bad — like the expense you incurred when you bought the shoes you liked, or the one-too-many drinks that you had at a party. But there is a type of daydreaming that will make you more creative and likely re-energize your brain. Called positive constructive daydreaming (PCD), it is best done while you are engaged in a low-key activity, not when you are fading. And as opposed to slipping into a daydream, which is more like falling off a cliff, you must parachute into the recesses of your mind with a playful and wishful image — perhaps one of you lying on a yacht or floating on your back in a pool on vacation. Then comes the swivel of attention — from looking outside, to wandering inside. With this move, you engage your unfocus brain and all the riches that it can bring.

Physical exercise and free-walking: In the brain, thinking supports movement, and movement supports thinking. In fact, exercise improves your DMN function. It normalizes itin obese people (who have too much of it) and increases connectivity in young healthy people. Even a single session can make a difference. Aerobic exercise can help prevent atrophy of key regions within the DMN, and also help the connectivity between different regions too.

Walking does boost creative thinking, but how you walk matters. One year of walkingboosts the connections between the different parts of the DMN too. In 2012, psychology professor Angela K. Leung and her colleagues tested three groups of people. One group walked around in rectangles while completing a mental test; one group walked around freely; and the last group sat down while taking the test. The free-walking group outperformed the other two groups. Other studies have shown that free-walking results in improvements in fluency, flexibility, and originality of thinking. So if you want to boost your creativity, go on a meandering hike on a safe path less traveled. Furthermore, walking outdoors may be even more beneficial than puttering around the house (unless you're using PCD, of course!)

Why you should focus on unfocus

We now know that focus is important in improving how we think, but for optimal brain training, we need both focus and unfocus. So, build unfocus times into your day. Ensure that you're not in one continuous slog. Your brain is wired for focus and unfocus to work together, so take advantage of both types of intelligence when thinking of training your complex but delightful brain.

You can learn more about the benefits of unfocus and how you can build it into your day, in Dr. Pillay's new book Tinker, Dabble, Doodle, Try.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

I love G&Ts!

FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK

Why does gin and tonic taste so good?

May 27, 2016

gin-and-tonic

Refreshing and yummy. (Shutterstock/Brent Hofacker)

Matthew Hartings hates gin. "Something about that flavor doesn't sit right with me," writes Hartings, a professor of chemistry at American University. He also hates tonic. "It is too bitter for me. I just don't understand how people can drink tonic water."

But, if you mix the two, you make one of his favorite drinks: the G&T.

The first G&T was made in India. Tonic is nothing but water mixed with quinine and sugar. (Carbonated tonic water came later.) During the Raj, when British soldiers were supposed to ingest very bitter quinine as an anti-malarial, they realized sugar, water, and gin would make it palatable. Quinine was superseded by better anti-malarial drugs, but G&T remained a popular cocktail.

Why does it taste so good?

The answer is in the underlying chemistry. Hartings explains that the chemicals responsible for the flavors in gin and in tonic, although different from each other, nonetheless come in two kinds of broadly similar chemical structures—the reds and the purples in the diagram below. Gin has a wide variety of such chemicals, while compared to tonic's quinine, but it's the combination that's important here.

G&T_colorcorrected (1)(Matthew Hartings)

Similar types of molecules attract each other, and dissimilar molecules repel each other (just like oil and water). In the figure above, the purple molecules are like flat pieces of cardboard, which creates attraction between them, whereas the reds are more like out-of-shape cartons, and attract other reds. The reds in gin attract the reds in tonic, and the same with the purples. The attraction between these molecules creates aggregates, which taste different from how the substances taste on their own.

This principle is used for all kinds of "food pairing." As we've reported before, there are other combinations based on the chemistry of taste molecules that you might want to try:

Try thisWith thisBecause of the shared chemical
    oysterskiwimethyl hexanoate
    white winecaviartrimethylamine
    chocolatemeatpyrazines
    carrotvioletionone
    tomatoparmesean cheesemonosodium glutamate (MSG)
    pineappleblue cheesemethyl hexanoate
    strawberriescoriandercis-3-hexenal

Finally, if you are looking for a great G&T recipe, Quartz's mixologists recommend this one by Dave Arnold, the author of Liquid Intelligence:

What you need: standard highball glass, 1.75 ounces (about 50 ml) of gin, 3.25 ounces of tonic water, a wedge of lime, and ice. Put the glass and the gin in the freezer ahead of time.

How to make it: The order matters for better mixing. Cut a lime into quarters. Pull glass and gin out of the freezer. Pour gin first. Add tonic water slowly. Squeeze as much of the lime juice from the wedge as you can. Fill the glass with ice cubes and lay the wedge on top.

We at Quartz are insatiably curious. We bring you the best timely research in science and technology, but in Funny you should ask, we'll tackle timeless questions. If you have some, submit them here.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

So, I didn't post the last article as what my attempt to unfocus would be. Loopy

I chose to try to nap with the pup.

• gardengypsy
    edited May 2017

I am the Queen of Unfocus.

Learned about this default network a few years back. My students loved it.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,554
    edited May 2017

I need times of unfocus. I think I read that it is sometimes referred to as white space. Areas around all the bustle of life to not be driven by productivity. I get overwhelmed more easily these days when life is hectic. I used to power thru such times. Now I tell dh my brain shuts down to recharge. Especially in the evening. I will not get into heavy discussions then. I tell dh, lets talk about this tomorrow. So simple, yet took me so long to learn. I think it is about having boundaries and self care. I finally feel that I am worth sticking up for. Before, I would become depleted by the needs of others with no end in sight. I do enough. I dont need to do everything for everyone.

My son, in his early 20s, bought his first car last year. He lives an hour away and did all the figuring out and financing, ect. As is often the case, a few snags slowed up the process. He lives an hour away and would call for advice, easily given. Dh seemed to think I should take charge and go finagle it all for ds. Well, I managed to purchase my first car when I was 19 with no parental input. Ds was fine, amd learned good lessons. That is being a smart parent and not coddling a young adult. Hope dh learned something, too!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

GG, Divine - I need to work on unfocusing/white space. As I drop the dosage on some of my meds, my mental fatigue is lessening. I'm able to work more, though I don't think I'm as fast at solving problems as I used to be. I'm a work in progress.

Divine - Good job on your son!

My teen daughter got her first job. She found it on her own. I think her incentive was if she didn't have plans for the summer, she would need to train with her dad at the gym. She just got her brown belt in judo, but she's not very strong for a martial artist. She will do Tai Chi with me over the summer.

My older daughter has her internship and an online class, so she's busy all summer. She wasn't interested in Tai Chi. She does a little yoga and walks a lot downtown as part of her commute. I don't remember if I mentioned this, but she is the most organized person I know. She has her bullet journal and uses an app to plan her time in 30-min blocks. I have to resist interrupting her.

• gardengypsy
    edited May 2017

Divine~ Boundaries and self-care are so important to our physical and psychological well-being. It baffles me to think how long it took for me to learn this!

Serenity~ G&Ts are good, but I am a Cosmo girl myself. I use an all natural Cranberry juice that is sweetened wth grape juice. Add some fresh lime juice,Triple Sec and Citron Vodka and you are a Tipsy Little City Chick. (T=Triple Sec, L=Lime, C=Citron, C=Cranberry.

Did so much gardening today that I will barely be able to stand up today. It will be rainy. Yay! A day on the couch!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

Ooh, pour me some of that Cosmo please!

Happy Mother's Day to all celebrating!

My older daughter is making a caramel apple pie for me. I have taught her well.

We saw Bad Moms last night. We all laughed. While I watched I realized I'm glad to be out of the chauffering stage.

• divinemrsm
    edited May 2017

It's been a couple weeks of busy-ness around here. May is always like that for us. We had a big yard sale last weekend which took awhile to prepare for, and this weekend was filled with family activities.

After the yard sale, dh and I spent time thru the week to thoroughly clean out the garage and reorganize it which it desperately needed. It hasn't ever had that good of a going thru, so it feels great to have it in much better shape with things more accessible and the unnecessary stuff pitched.

Now it is clean up week in town and we are putting a bunch of junk out for trash which is always a terrific feeling! I am so happy to have both the house and garage decluttered.

In the midst of it all, I got "The Secrets of My Life" by Caitlynn Jenner from the library and it was so interesting I read it rather quickly. I read many autobiographies, so why not this one? It was fascinating.

I also got a book by Sue Monk Kidd called The Mermaid Chair. I rarely read fiction but absolutely love the author and this book has caught my interest.

I bought some impatiens in multi colors that I planted in a birdbath across the street in the front of the house where my mother in law lives. I usually plant a solid color every year, the multi color look so pretty!

I am also finding joy in returning to a regular paced routine this week.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

Divine - That's a lot to cross off the to-do list! Good work!

Had appointments with the kinesiologist and th RO today. All clear with RO, but the kinesiologist was not pleased with me. My weight went up a bit, and my arm measurements are up a little. I need to wear my sleeve more. And be more careful with my food. I've been slacking off. This was a good reminder. I meet the kinesiologist early in July, so work begins tomorrow.

• gardengypsy
    edited May 2017

Divine~ I am trying to read again ~ chemo had a strong effect on my concentration. I like mystery novels and biographies.

You sound very busy. I am working up the energy for a yard sale, but wow, I am exhausted just thinking of it.

Wear that sleeve, Serenity! I don't need one right now, but I am doing LE massage every day.

We just put an offer on a new home. For the first time, my partner and I will own a home together. I think about your advice a lot Serenity~ can we survive on just one income??

Happy spring ladies!

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2017

I returned to Pilates today and although it's been only 3 weeks I missed it so much. Feel so much better and all the tightness in my abdomen feels stretched (that was where my surgery was in December for a free flap reconstruction). I'll have to miss next week but that's because I'll be vacationing in West Virginia with my son. We hope to some hiking. Can't wait!

• divinemrsm
    edited May 2017

Gypsy, wishing you and your partner all the best in getting a new home!

Around the beginning of December last year, I decided to have a yard sale this spring when our little town holds a city wide yard sale the beginning of May. With that in mind, dh and I gradually set aside the things to sell as we decluttered different areas of the house over many months. It ended up being much more stuff than we realized we really didn't need any more. I borrowed tables from my sister, and set them up in the garage (we parked the vehicles outside during this time) a week prior to sale and started arranging stuff and pricing it. The weather was rotten but we managed to have a successful sale.

We considered having one more sale in October (when the city has another city wide sale) for the stuff that didn't sell. But it is kind of disruptive so we chose to send whats left to Goodwill and be done with it.

Jcn, enjoy your vay-cay to WV!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

GG - Yes, I will wear my sleeve more. I hope your offer is accepted. I'm very happy that we bought our place instead of anything more expensive. I'm working 3 days a week right now.

jcn - Have a great vacation! Hope you do lots of forest bathing.

I'm working on a new project and having to learn new things for it. In the past I would have gone back to it after dinner. But, not anymore. I refuse to work as long as I did in the past. I'm also accepting meetings on my timeline instead of trying to fit something in.

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2017

Divine, we have a neighborhood garage sale every year in May , but I've never participated. Sounds liberating to get rid of stuff!

Serenity, yes lots of forest bathing I hope! And a few good books in the evening since there's no TV, internet or cell service. Must be heaven.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

jcn - Off the grid sounds wonderful!

Made really good progress at work. I was stuck on something yesterday, but I figured it out today. It really helped not to talk/email anyone. I stopped work for the day before dinner. I'm fortunate to be able to work from home. My commute is from the kitchen to my laptop.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

Me now.

• divinemrsm
    edited May 2017

That dog is definitely having a zen moment! Lol

Yesterday it was 88 degrees, too warm for the middle of May, but I took advantage of the weather by hanging some washed laundry outside to dry for the first time this year. I started hanging the washed jeans, capris, pjs and shirts outside last summer and really like doing it. I would even hang unders, socks and towels, but the clothesline is only so long.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited May 2017

Mrs M I totally agree, everything always smells so lovely after it's dried in the fresh air.

I am growing kale, beans, beetroot, spinach, lettuces and tomatoes this year and love going to look at them every day to see how they are doing and give them some water. The dog loves to take a shower under the water too.

X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

Love dogs so much! Click the link to see pup in action.

https://twitter.com/alexiskleinman/status/86521410...

• divinemrsm
    edited May 2017

Today the sanitation department picked up the big mound of trash we set out for clean up week. It absolutely feels great heading into the summer knowing my house had a thorough decluttering and now I can relax more and not feel guilty like I need to be cleaning something.

Speaking of which, yesterday I gave the kitchen laminate floor a good cleaning. It is not that I am a clean freak, but every once in awhile, the floor needs some tlcand it is nice to walk in barefeet and not feel a tiny bread crumb pressing into my toe!

• divinemrsm
    edited May 2017

Many perennials are blooming in my yard along with the roses and that always gives me joy. This photo shows the roses out front. The flowers are from two different shrubs, the lower roses are the ones that sprung from left over roots of a rose I transplanted out back.