Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited April 2017

Hug

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

Dog safe ice cream? Think my pup would enjoy it.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

It's been over 20 years, but I loved going to the Salvador Dali museum in St. Pete, FL.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited April 2017

Love both of those paintings that you posted. Two of my favorites too!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

glennie - They are 2 of my favorite artists!

This picture is awesome.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

Even pups appreciate fresh sheets! ThumbsUp

https://twitter.com/cutebabyanimals/status/8569311...

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited April 2017

Rothko is my absolute favourite artist. His pictures don't photograph very well, but I love them in real life. I went to see a big collection of his work at Tate Modern about 10 years ago and I was really emotional, crying!

Big slice of joy for me today. I went to see a new physio therapist on Monday. I have seen around 10 different experts of all kinds about my SASH (stiff, aching, sore hip) over the last year or so. Everything I try seems to help a bit but nothing has made a really big difference and the low level problem has persisted. It has been getting me down at times. She spent a long time evaluating me and then gave me 3 simple stretches to do a few times a day. It's made an incredible, massive differenece already. I have no pain! XX

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

ScotBird - I think I've seen his work in person, but I can't remember where. They are moving! I've been to so many therapists for my sciatica that I've lost count, so I can understand. I have made a lot of progress in the past few months. I was surprised that I felt very little pain during my trip last week. You forget how it feels to feel good. It makes such a difference. What are the 3 stretches?

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,552
    edited April 2017

Scotbird, love hearing about the exercises and physiotherapist!

Serenity, I love fresh bedsheets, too!

My slice of joy today, getting two 28 packs of bottled water for a total of $2.08 after using Plenti points and a 20% off coupon. Had hubby go with me to Rite Aid for the purchase so he could haul the heavy stuff and also to see how good I am at getting the bargains, wink wink!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

Divine - I love bargains! ThumbsUp

This method of sciatic nerve flossing helps me more than the seated version.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited April 2017

Never heard of flossing but I will give that a try too. The stretches I am doing are just hip flexor stretches, done standing and lying down. I have been doing them every two or three hours and holding for about 30 seconds. Also another one where I lie on my tummy with bent legs, knees together and just let my feet fall out to the sides. It's amazing that it works, but it really does! I can't believe it's taken me this long to find the answer. Good physios are so hard to find.

Go Mrs M. Bargains are a great joy to me too. Useful ones like that are the best X

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

Thanks! I have some hip flexor stretches, but I haven't tried the last stretch you described. My current physiotherapist was recommended by my Qi Gong instructor. She's been great.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

I usually don't see my family in the morning because they leave early to get to school. Today I came downstairs and both girls were still athome preparing for exams. They rock.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited April 2017

I'm going to have to try those stretching exercises. I'm always dealing with pain of some sort. Right now, it's heal pain.

But, my big slice of joy today is my blood work is "pretty good" as my MO said and my tumor markers are back in normal range. The ca 27-29 had been ticking up just a bit, and while not bad, it still scares me. But, all is good for now. Praise God

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

Yay for blood results in normal range! Having pain in various spots is discouraging. I celebrate reduction of pain. Qi Gong, stretching, and postural alignment exercises have helped. I have a little calendar to keep track of meds and dosages. I started adding notes on how I feel like the location and level of pain (including neuropathy and muscle tightness). I also make sure I take the medicine needed to reduce pain. I no longer want to suffer through the pain. Hope you can get rid of your pain.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

Feel like dancing? I love Carlos Santana.

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited April 2017

last night I attended a big event because my employer sponsored a table. I usually attend alone but this time brought my 23 year old daughter. It made the evening pass so pleasantly. Not boring at all. She made some great new contacts and even agreed to attend again. I may have found a wing man/gal!

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited April 2017
    That kinda fun, jcn.

Serenity~ Carlos is a BIG slice of joy!

Faith~ Congrats
  • SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

jcn - That sounds fun!

GG - Yes, Santana is fantastic!

Went to Thai Reflexology today. They called me last week to ask if I wanted the session. I've only been asking for Qi Gong. It felt good. Gorgeous day today!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

I don't make biscuits, but I love the feel of dough.

Baking Is All in the Hands

My mother and I had a joke that whatever gene makes a baker skipped her generation. I think the closest she ever came to baking was spearing bright orange peanut-shaped marshmallows on a carving fork and toasting them over the stove. When I married — I was 19 and a college junior — the only culinary experience I could claim was burning down my parents' kitchen seven years earlier, a misadventure involving frozen fries and boiling oil.

Marriage (and a budget constrained by student loans) made me a cook; my mother-in-law inadvertently made me a baker.

She was a funny, spirited woman who was guarded, cool and singularly unsentimental, except when she talked about her parents, both bakers by trade. Her expression would soften as she remembered the warm cinnamon buns that waited for her after school. Watching her mime the motions of spreading sweet butter on a freshly baked poppy-seed roll — every bit of the roll's surface had to be covered — was like hearing her declare: My family loved me!

Could baking really do that? If it could, I wanted to bake.

The galvanizing experience, the one that sent me into the kitchen, occurred the evening I dropped by my mother-in-law's house in Brooklyn. I found her whistling and making knishes, those potato pies I'd have sworn only machines could produce. I barely had time to take off my coat before she pushed the dough toward me. "Touch it," she said, "Feel how silky it is — this is how it should feel."

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/magazine/baking...

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited April 2017

Growing up my father was a great cook and my mother became great as time went on. But she was the baker. It's been 4 years since she died from pancreatic cancer and I always feel closer to her when I bake. Last weekend I made date muffins which were one of my favorite breakfast treats growing up. Baking is frivolous because I don't need to do it since my husband is a distributor fora national bakery - free bread! But I love baking. I've been baking more since BC as a way to avoid added soy. It's a great excuse to bake

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

jcn - I agree. Homemade bread is better so that you control the ingredients.

Gorgeous day again. Went to Qi Gong and PT. I'm making more progress, and now my next appointment is set 6 weeks from now. She gave me a new peroneal nerve stretch for the tightness in my calf. I never heard of it before today. While I was on the floor earlier doing my sciatic nerve flossing, my pup decided she needed attention and climbed on top of me. She only needed a little attention, and I was back at the nerve flossing.

• gardengypsy
    edited April 2017

My PT mentioned "nerve flossing" for my neuropathy but I haven't quite figured it out.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2017

Your PT should give you the appropriate nerve flossing technique based on which nerve is affected. The video I added earlier is for sciatic nerve flossing. The technique I received today is for peroneal nerve flossing. It seems the sciatic nerve branches at the knee into the peroneal nerves that go into the feet. If your neuropathy is in your feet, then this may help. I couldn't find a video or images to show you exactly, but there are many videos. Here is one. Bending your foot inward is important.

Since I'm lazy, I did my sciatic nerve flossing and added the foot bend.

• gardengypsy
    edited April 2017

Thank you, Serenity

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2017

GG - Hope it helps!

I have a wonderful friend who has been protecting me at work. She went through cancer treatment almost 2 years before I started. There's a meeting scheduled for this week that has turned out to be bigger than expected. There's no way I would be ready. She will have it postponed.

I wish I could decline like this:

• divinemrsm
    edited May 2017

Hey, I really liked those two videos about the flexing of the nerves and feet, ect. I have aches from the medicine (Arimidex) I take, and I did the simple exercises quickly today and it seemed to help for a bit. My feet are always especially sore and have been for 5+ years taking the Arimidex. I like that the videos are short and to the point.

Ha ha, cute decline by E B White.

My son had a quick three day trip to California for his new job to meet the team. He is on his way back (he lives near Pittsburgh PA) this evening and has called to let us know things went really well. Dh and I have such good feelings about ds and his bright future, sort of basking in the glow of raising two terrific young men who are now working together. So I was at the water dispenser of the fridge tonight, filling my cup and talking to dh and my cup overflowed cuz I wasn't paying attention. I told dh, "Look, It's life imitating life! My cup is running over." Yep, thats how I feel......

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited May 2017

Divine Mrs.M, that's great news about your son. Don't you just love when things are going well for our kids. It really does feel like our cup is running over sometimes when things are good for them.

I'm going to have to try those exercises for my feet. They just ache and hurt all the time now. Don't you wish we had a spare pair because when your feet hurt, it affects everything we do.

Love that decline by E.B.White!!

• divinemrsm
    edited May 2017

Faith, a big yes to loving when are kids are doing well. I sleep better, too.

Also a big amen to when our feet hurt, it affects everything.