Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited June 2017

Thanks, jcn! Now I need to get stronger while avoiding aggravating my sciatica and lymphedema. It's slowly happening, but I'll be patient.

Here's a new exercise. I think it's in the last video that I posted for neck/shoulder pain, but I found one video of it by itself. It's supposed to be good for abs, too.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2017

Serenity, glad to hear you're feeling good enough to dance. I really enjoyed the music video you posted, made me want to dance and it was definitely the highlight of the day and my thin slice of Joy for today. A long story not worth repeating.

Have a good night everyone and a great day tomorrow.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2017

Faith - I'm so glad you enjoyed the music! I hope you have more moments of joy tomorrow. Feel free to express down moments here. I know I have.

This is a pose that I couldn't do before without triggering a lot of pain, but now I can. It's very simple with many benefits.

I love Legs Up the Wall. This posture is one of the most nourishing, grounding and calming poses I can think of, and I have turned to it many times in my own life when I was feeling overwhelmed, tired, or stressed.

What is it?

Basically, Legs Up the Wall posture is exactly as it sounds! You lie on your back with your sit-bones as close to the wall as is comfortable for you. From there, you extend your legs up the wall, so that the backs of your legs are resting fully against it.

In more therapeutic variations of this posture, you may have blocks under your hips to elevate them, creating a slight inversion in your lower belly, and a strap securing your legs together so that you can fully relax and release into the pose, without having to exert effort to hold your legs up.

For the most benefit, I generally like to recommend practicing this pose for at least 10 to 15 minutes, but even just hanging out for a minute or two will suffice. Here are five health benefits of Legs Up the Wall posture.

1. It reduces edema in the legs and feet.

By reversing the effects of gravity on your legs and feet, you can really help to move any stuck or stagnant fluids that may build up there if you have low blood pressure, or spend a lot of time on your feet during your day. In this posture, you will be using gravity to your advantage.

2. It relieves tired leg muscles.

Hanging out with your legs up the wall is one of the best ways to help drain tension from the legs, feet, and even the hips if you have them elevated on blocks.

If you have a strap around your legs, and have given yourself an extended period of time to allow your body to fully relax into the posture, you will find that tired, sore legs will feel a whole lot better once you come out of your posture.

3. It gives you all the benefits of inversion, without the effort.

You most likely know how good inversions are for you at this point—they can help to reverse the effects of gravity on the whole system, help regulate blood pressure, help move stuck fluids, and even help to improve your digestion.

However, sometimes the energetic expressions of inversions like Handstand are too much. We all have times in our lives when we need something that is just fully nourishing, and that is where Legs Up the Wall comes in.

You will still be getting many of the benefits of practicing an active inversion, while also fully resting and surrendering.

4. It is super calming for the nervous system.

This posture is really intended to be a deeply relaxing pose. When you combine a longer hold of Legs Up the Wall with slow, rhythmic breathing, you will be tapping into your "rest and digest" nervous response.

In this state, your body will be actively digesting anything you have eaten, as well as working to heal and repair your body. When you do poses like Legs Up the Wall consistently for a period of time, you may notice that your body feels healthier overall, and that you are better able to find a calm state of mind.

5. It helps quiet the mind.

As mentioned in the point above, this posture may help you cultivate a quiet mind if you practice it for a period of time. By fully releasing and relaxing your body and by focusing on deep breathing, you will evoke a meditative state.

Having the body feel safe and supported is one of the tools that we as yogis use to help reach this peaceful state. As you breathe, surrender and let go, you may find yourself slipping into bliss!

https://www.doyouyoga.com/5-health-benefits-legs-w...

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited June 2017

Serenity, I have tried the nerve flossing a bit (using the diagrams you shared on 25th April). Just curious, how many repetitions do you do and how often? I'm not sure I'm doing it right!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2017

ScotBird- I have to do the sciatic nerve flossing at least one set of ~10 reps once a day. I feel a difference if I miss a day or 2. When I started, I did it multiple times a day being careful not to increase any nerve pain (fewer reps, let nerve calm). Hope it helps you!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2017

Meanwhile in Canada, Trudeau is having oysters with the X-Men cast here to film the next movie. Where was my invite?

• faith-840
    edited June 2017

Yesterday, my thin slice of Joy was driving to do some errands and I looked up, saw a beautiful blue sky and Jimmy Buffet was playing on my car radio. It was a nice moment!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2017

Nice!

• faith-840
    edited June 2017

Thanks Serenity, that song immediately brings thoughts of our vacations for many years on the beach in North Carolina's Outer Banks with the kids and another family of good friends. All his songs just relax me and take me away. The beat of those songs is great but if you really listen to the words, there's a lot of wisdom in most of them.

Thank you for another slice of joy today

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2017

Faith - I'm so glad the video brings back great memories for you! I listened to Buffett when I was young, but I haven't recently. Today it reminded me of when I went sailing around the Bahamas - a lifetime ago. Thank you!

• bright55
    bright55 Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2017

hi serenity thankyou so much for delighful posts Heartcheers bright

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2017

Hi, Bright! So glad you like!

Trying to bring out my inner dog.

• scotbird
    edited June 2017

Thanks Serenity, I will try again. Will let you know how it goes.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2017

ScotBird - Good luck!

Sweet dreams are made of this! Loopy

• bright55
    bright55 Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2017

Huggs Bright

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2017

Bright - Koalas are so cute!

KB - I really like that pose. I'm trying to do it before bed.

I had a kinesiology appointment at the hospital this morning. My weight is down, but my arm measurements are up on both sides. I had told her I was getting stronger, so we figure the increase is due to my muscles coming back. She was pleased. She's so nice. My next appointment is in August when I see my MO again.

Since I was at the hospital, I finally returned the wig I borrowed last year. The volunteer who took the wig had also been a cancer patient in 1998 (surgery/chemo/rads). She later had cervical cancer, but the treatment was very easy and noninvasive. She offered some booklets and videos (including one by Marie Esmonde-White, Classical Stretch creator). I had most, and I mentioned I did Classical Stretch. Apparently she met her at an event at McGill University and found she was very nice. I know she offers classes, but it's too far for me to do on a regular basis. Plus, Classical Stretch is free. It might be fun to do a class when I'm stronger.

I usually park in the same heart-healthy area of the hospital parking garage, and it's a long walk with stairs. It seemed effortless today. Progress! I need to work on my sleep though. Not getting enough shuteye makes my head hurt.

In other news, my older daughter told me her friends think we are the coolest parents. Not sure what she tells them, but it's sweet. I love having a close relationship with my kids. I've never felt close to my parents.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited June 2017

Yup.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

I liked Ally McBeal, but I didn't watch the last season.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Uranus jokes are never not funny.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Drinking cava (Spanish bubbly) helps me understand Twin Peaks. ThumbsUp

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Chocolate-covered strawberries tonight! Waiting for chocolate to cool.

I saw this yesterday. Still funny today.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

That's what we were drinking! I still have our first bottle of Segura Viudas with the pewter. I bought it for our first dating anniversary because I liked the bottle.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

I found a new exercise. My backside is uneven where my left side is much stronger and less flabby than the right. I wanted to do glute bridges/hip raises to build strength. This exercise adds an overhead reach to help with back mobility. It feels good to do the reach.

https://www.spotebi.com/exercise-guide/glute-bridg...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

• scotbird
    edited July 2017

Serenity I've been doing the nerve flossing just like you advised and it really seems to be helping, thanks! I've also been doing lots of yoga and Pilates and have started alternate day fasting to lose some lbs. I've lost about 14 lbs now, and am hoping to gradually lose another 14 lbs. My breast surgeon said that keeping your weight low and stable was one of the 3 best ways to avoid recurrence. The others were avoiding alcohol and exercising at high intensity regularly!! I'm going to go to my first spin class next week!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

ScotBird - I'm so glad that the nerve flossing is helping you! For weight loss I have had success with intermittent fasting, HIIT, and avoiding grains. With HIIT, you should measure different body parts (waist, hips, thighs, etc.) once a week. I found my weight didn't drop as dramatically as my measurements. I haven't exercised strenuously in a long time, but in the next few months I want to start HIIT again. I don't want to aggravate the lymphedema. It's mild at the moment. Have fun in your spin class!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

I'll see if my older daughter wants to watch this with me this weekend.

The stories are: The Tell-Tale Heart, The Sphinx, The Cask of Amontillado, and The Pit and the Pendulum.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

I've had my new smartphone from work for a few weeks, but I just set up the fingerprint sensor this week. I still find myself picking up the phone just to use the sensor to unlock it. Other people have not been so impressed. I don't care.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Found more nerve gliding exercises. Bonus points for simultaneously moving both arms.

http://www.nehand.com/Portals/2036/web-content/for...imageimage