Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thin Slices of Joy

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited July 2017

Just changed the plan on my husband's smartphone. He's getting more for less. That doesn't happen often.

But all savings go to upgrading plan for older daughter. Maybe I'll wait to enjoy the savings for a few days.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited July 2017

Sunset in Stonington, CT - For your viewing pleasure - One of my vacation stops

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Celia - Beautiful! I love being on a boat.

Now that I'm getting back to work, we have put the kitchen reno (appliances, cabinets, countertop) back on the front burner. We met with a kitchen designer in January, but I wasn't ready. Today we picked out appliances. The designer is on vacation this week. Hope we can get this process started in the next month. Kitchen may not be done until November. Gives me incentive to get back to working full time just to help pay this off.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Never seen these before. More at the link.

http://kengarex.com/salvador-dalis-rare-1975-illus...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Went to the Museum of Fine Arts and went through the permanent exhibit. We went through this section.

https://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/collections/early-to-mod...

This room was interesting. They projected the sky above the paintings. You could see the tree leaves moving. When a flock of birds fly across the sky, you hear the birds.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

My husband asked if I wanted to see Jack the Ripper's work. What? Apparently Patricia Cornwell, the crime writer, has concluded Sickert was the Ripper. He was Whistler's student.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/patricia-cor...

...death of his second wife? Hmm.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Salvador Dali designed a chess set. Pieces are mostly casts of his fingers. Why not?

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

This sculpture was placed inside a dimly-lit room. Not joyful, but moving.

• everymoment
    everymoment Member Posts: 6,656
    edited July 2017

Serenity, thanks for sharing. I love that many museums allow photographs (without flash).

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Oops, the flash did go off when I took a pic of the last description. That was the only time.

We've had some family visiting this week. I'm exhausted! Glad we had some good weather.

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2017

Serenity, You are a great photographer

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Thank you, jcn!

Otters doing Dali.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Ugh, my sciatica is acting up. It isn't as painful as I've had, just a slight increase in pain. Having visitors led to too much sitting at restaurants and transportation. We did walk a lot, but I missed the nerve flossing and core exercises. I know what to do to fix it.

Here's an article on persistent pain:

Understanding Persistent Pain & What You Can Do To Recover!neck pain

The first thing to understand about persistent pain is that the amount of pain you experience does not necessarily relate to tissue damage. There are people who have severe joint degeneration on x-ray and don't have pain, and others that have clear x-rays and lots of pain. Pain is a normal response to your brain perceiving something as a threat, this is the body's way of protecting itself, and in the short term it works well.

The body initially responds to an injury with inflammation, which promotes healing. When pain persists despite tissue healing, it is because the nervous system – nerves, spinal cord and brain have become sensitised.

It works like this: there are nociceptors, lets call them 'danger sensors' all over the body. With enough stimulation, they send signals up to the spinal cord. When stimulation reaches a critical level, the message is sent on to the brain. The role of the brain is to assess these messages, and if the brain concludes that you are in danger and need to take action, it will produce the experience of pain. So while the pain is very much real, it is an output of the brain, not just a sensation in the body tissues.

With persistent pain, your nervous system changes. You develop more of some types of danger sensors in the nerves and spinal cord, and their alarm threshold is lowered. It is kind of like a car alarm that goes off when a leaf blows over it; the nervous system is in a state of hyper-vigilance, always on the lookout for threat. The brain becomes really good at producing the experience of pain, through repeated experience. So over time, it takes less and less to trigger your pain, even thinking about bending or lifting can be enough to feel pain. This sets you up in a downward spiral, the less activity you do to avoid pain, the more deconditioned and hypersensitive your tissues get, and the more pain you have.

There is a strong link between feeling depressed, stressed or angry and persistent pain. Stress affects your physiology and further sensitises the nervous system. Your attitudes and beliefs make a huge contribution to your experience of pain. We consistently see that people with overly negative or unhelpful thoughts have much more difficulty recovering from their injuries. However, learning positive ways of coping, such as pacing yourself effectively can significantly reduce your disability. Upgrading your activity in a slow and steady manner can begin to desensitise the nervous system, and hence reduce or even eliminate your experience of pain.

One of the ways we facilitate this here at Physio Posture Fitness, is through Physiotherapy Gym Sessions (PGS), allowing a supervised, graded return to activity in a focussed individualised manner. Whilst the exercises precisely target weak or tight muscles, they are also designed to reduce the sensitivity of your nervous system to allow you to get back to doing what you love to do.

Tips for tackling persistent pain:

Your brain is amazing, capable of rewiring itself to recover from persistent pain. Try these 'brain' exercises to change neural connections in your brain straight away.

• Virtual Reality: Close your eyes and imagine yourself doing an activity that you love pain free: running, wrestling with the kids, gardening. Play the positive video in your head over and over.
    • Remember to keep exercise fun – laughter really is the best medicine! Put on your favourite music & let yourself dance. Move without fear.

Now try these stretches:

1) Neural Glides are an effective way of mobilising the nervous system and encouraging freedom of movement. They are a way of desensitising neural pathways throughout the day. A mobile nervous system is a healthy nervous system.

1 Nerve Mobility Palm Upward_1

Stop sign: put your hand out in front of you as if directing traffic to a stop, only straighten your elbow to a comfortable range. Try this progressively further out to the side until you can do it comfortably side on to your trunk.

2) Try approaching a movement in a novel way to get under the radar of a sensitised nervous system:

– Instead of turning your head, keep it still and swivel your trunk around in an office chair.

– Try moving your eyes side to side whilst sitting tall and holding the head still to wake up your postural muscles and give your eyes a break from the screen

http://physioposturefitness.com/understanding-pers...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

I prefer the Persistence of Otters over the Persistence of Pain.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Stunning!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Hugs from my pup make me feel good.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Thin slices of joy:

1) First sip of coffee was beyond delicious. I actually said, "That was good." Earlier in this thread, I posted an article with the suggestion to be vocal during such experiences. It makes a difference.

2) I have enough hair for a wee ponytail. I probably should get a haircut, but I don't wanna.

3) Last night I did the hip crossover stretch and felt a little pop in my back. The tightness that came back when we had visitors is diminishing slowly.

4) My weight is the same as it was before the visitors. We went to many restaurants, but I avoided overeating and desserts. That was difficult.

5) I've had 2 mosquito bites on my lymphatically-challenged arm with normal reactions. Whew!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited July 2017

Great progress Serenity! I'm also continuing to feel better and better. I can't remember the last time I needed painkillers and I'm so enjoying yoga and Pilates. Also I started going to a spin class and am enjoying it! I have a new job, which is going well, and have now lost 17lbs since spring time by alternate day fasting. I'm still doing the nerve flossing daily, thanks for explaining that one it helps a lot! I love your thread. We have so many things to be thankful for each day. x

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

ScotBird - Congrats on the new job and huge weight loss! I hope to be where you are soon on the pain scale. I'm nearly there. The nerve flossing helps so much. Glad it's working for you, too. You're reminding me that I need to do more intense exercise. Will do.

I had to go downtown today and took the train. I'm not a regular commuter anymore, so I noticed some new (to me) benches at the train station. It was sunny and breezy as I sat while waiting for the train. The new benches are more comfortable than the old rusty metal ones.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Mmmmmmmm, I love that dish, and you've dialed it up to 11! I need to find a place to buy fresh eggs. How do fresh new potatoes differ in taste from old new potatoes?

I love eggs and potatoes cooked in duck fat topped with fresh chives.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Yum! Yum! Yum!

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited July 2017

You are both making me very hungry. I love new potatoes but have never had really fresh farm eggs. Woe is me! But, I did put some fresh basil from my pot, on our pasta with shrimp tonight for dinner.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited July 2017

We used to keep chickens until we moved house to the city 7 years ago. As soon as the kids have finished school and moved out we are planning to move back to the countryside, and keeping chickens is one of the big motivators!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Faith - Have you tried watermelon, feta, and basil? Great summer combo!

ScotBird - As a child my family had chickens. We can't have them now.

So, Dali is surreal in death.

Salvador Dalí's Remains Exhumed, Revealing A Perfectly Arranged Mustache

Colin DwyerJuly 21, 20171:33 PM ET

The remains of Salvador Dalí were exhumed Thursday night, pulled from their resting place by Spanish officials hoping to confirm whether the surrealist painter fathered a child in an affair. The closed procedure extracted some hair samples, nails, teeth and two long bones from the artist's embalmed body, the DNA of which might offer the conclusive answer to a high-profile paternity lawsuit long underway.

For now, that answer remains elusive — but forensic experts did uncover at least one curious fact when they pulled him briefly from his tomb at the Dalí Museum Theater in Figueres: His iconic mustache remains perfectly intact.

"The mustache preserved its classic 10-past-10 position," Lluís Peñuelas, secretary-general of the Dalí Foundation, told the Spanish newspaper El Pais. "Checking it was a very exciting moment."

The paper notes the forensic doctor who embalmed Dalí in 1989 was also on hand for Thursday's operation, which was conducted with a pulley and concluded just hours after it began.

It was "a miracle," Narcís Bardalet told a local radio station, according to The New York Times. "Salvador Dalí is forever."

He might also be a father. At least, that's what 61-year-old tarot card reader Pilar Abel alleges, saying Dalí had an affair with her mother back in 1955 — one year before her birth.

"The first time I saw him, I was a little girl," she told reporters three years ago, when she filed her lawsuit for partial claim to Dalí's estate. "I was out for a walk with my grandmother, and she pointed him out."

As NPR's Lauren Frayer reported last month, Dalí was married around that time — though, characteristically, that marriage was a tad unconventional.

"He was married at the time to his muse Gala, who lived in a castle, which he visited with written permission only," Lauren explained. "They had no children. Without an heir, Dalí left his fortune — in the hundreds of millions — to the Spanish state when he died in 1989."

Abel went public with her claim in 2007 and has sought proof since then, saying she wishes to honor her mother's memory. And her lawyer, Enrique Blanquez, says that proof would also entitle Abel to one-fourth of the Dalí estate, according to The Associated Press.

Peñuelas and the foundation, which manages the artist's estate, fought the exhumation order issued by a Madrid judge last month and vow to continue the fight in court.

"[The Foundation] considers the exhumation performed on Salvador Dalí's remains entirely inappropriate," the Dalí Foundation said in a statement quoted by Artnet.

"Before agreeing to such an invasive act as the exhumation of Salvador Dalí in a museum, the claimant Pilar Abel Martínez — as proposed by the Foundation and the Spanish State — should have been required to carry out a DNA test to compare her DNA with that of her legal father (deceased) or her brother, to thereby obtain all available evidence that she is not their daughter or sister."

Still, Abel remains convinced the forensic experts now on the case will prove her right — after all, she says, she looks just like him.

"The only thing missing is the mustache," she says.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/21/...

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited July 2017

Serenity, that combo sounds delicious. I will try it! Thanks for the idea

• SerenitySTAT
    edited July 2017

Faith - Hope you'll like it!

I love linen. I have blouses, skirts, pants, and scarves in linen. I'm wearing linen pants now. Very comfortable in the summer. That's all.