Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Uplifting and Lively Messages. No holds barred..

Options

Comments

• logang
    logang Member Posts: 144
    Options

We lost power with that ice storm too. I think it was out just shy of a week. We live in the country, so no power means no water either. We have 2 kerosene heaters and keep kerosene just in case. I also always keep jugs of water on hand.

My son already has a 2 hour delay tomorrow. Wish I did. Not looking forward to country driving where it's probably still really icy!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

For ice, if you have a fireplace or wood stove....WOOD ASHES!!! I used to save them when I was married, as we had a driveway that was a steep downhill onto a main road. They provide immediate traction. I understand the messy part, but much easier to clean up the mess than deal with a broken bone.

Picture from today's ski. Just perfect conditions. This was at the top of the chairlift, you ski down a short hill, and the Nordic tracks go off to the left. Did 12 miles and feel it. - Claire

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

You can use cat litter too, provides traction.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Well, schools are closed around here tomorrow and now it is minus 4, ugh. Hopefully, they cancel schools where it is needed and do not make the kids wait for buses in the freezing cold weather. Claire, I am jealous that you know how to snow ski. When I was going to pharmacy school in Arizona, my roommate was from the White Mountains. One vacation we went skiing and were busy sight seeing on the chairlift. We got dumped off at the top of the mountain. I came down the mountain on my butt, she came down with a ski to her head and got a concussion. I had to drive winding, icy mountain roads all the way back to her house. It was really beautiful and homey with her parent's house heated by wood.

Question: How did you do health wise on AI's? I have to start them next month along with a Lupron shot to shut my ovaries down. Not looking forward to either.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

I was actually thinking about getting back on skis. But with my DIEP surgery I am a little afraid of getting hurt.

I need to get my muscles prepared. Mostly swimming, treadmill and yoga. I haven't been doing weights regularly.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I don't have cats, so no cat litter. I have purchased some Moose Trax - spring type cleat that I will wear on my boots. They are easy to take on and off. I will just have a container for them in my purse. I hate being ill prepared

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I did fine on AIs. Will admit that a bit more achy than now. I still did all my cycling and skiing events. BTW - I grew up in the Green Mountains, and don't remember not knowing how to snowshoe. I learned to ski, but always felt that I wasn't that good, as lived with Olympic hopefuls. I was left in the dust.

That is fine. A lovely young man stopped by as I was skiing today. He mentioned how nice it was to see me again, and that I am always there, clearly thrilled to be outdoors and skiing. He now has a young family who are already on skis. A wonderful way to start out life. He blew away on his skate-skis. Made my day.

Yaktrax are another way to go with ice. I wear hiking boots when things get dicey. Very fond of traction.

Speaking of wood, we heated with wood when growing up. I got to stack 13 cords. Still have that skill and will work for homemade pie!! - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, I mean Yacktrax, not moose tracks. Found them at Dick's Sporting Goods Yesterday. That you for your answer on AI's, because you give me and others like me, hope of getting through our years on AI.

It is nice to hear that you are remembered by fellow ski buffs!!

• gailpet
    gailpet Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks for the welcome on my original post in the surgery area. I am 50 and was diagnosed this summer at 49. Although I ended up "just" having a smallish Stage 1, Grade 1 tumor removed and didn't have to go through a mastectomy or chemo, I had some big scares right after diagnosis. There was concern that another area of the breast had a suspicious area and I had to have an MRI-guided biopsy to confirm all was ok (it was ok!!!), and based on family history of breast cancer, I was recommended to have genetic testing done to see if I had any gene mutations (the BRCA mutations as well as getting another 20 or so looked at). I had genetic testing done through GeneDX. All came back ok, thankfully. But between the time of my initial biopsy in early July and my "all clear" from the MRI and genetic testing, it was early August. By then, I had myself all worked up into a tizzy with all the unknowns on how severe my diagnosis was.

Since my testing came back ok, I ended up going in for a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy and that surgery was mid-August. My lymph nodes came back clear as well but I needed to wait until mid-September to get the results of my Oncotype testing to confirm I wouldn't need chemo. All the waiting around and the ups and downs really took a toll on my morale and outlook!

I then had some issues with such a "small" diagnosis and felt maybe some survivor's guilt for not having to go through more after diagnosis and I felt kind of stupid wanting support as I really didn't have anything to complain about. I didn't tell a lot of people, finally told more the general public once I started radiation in early October as I knew people at work would wonder why I was leaving every day to get my radiation treatments.

I go between needing support and understanding and just wanting to move on but it's hard to move on and forget about it with ongoing anti-hormone therapy looming.

I just turned 50 in September and didn't know if I was in menopause since I had an endometrial ablation done 6 years ago and have not had a period since. My MO ordered tests and they confirmed my hormone levels were high and I was no where near menopause. I have history of high blood pressure and strokes in my family (I haven't been able to be on BC pills since I was in my early 20's) so the MO oncologist suggested getting my ovaries removed so I could take the AI drugs vs. Tamoxifen as it was safer for my history . At my last MO appointment after I completed my radiation treatment, she told me that I could either go in for injections of Lupron (or another type of drug) quite frequently to shut down the ovaries but since my levels were quite high and it could be years, I opted to have them removed vs. being suppressed just to get things moving along -- my MO thought this was a good idea. Again, since I am 50 and I was done having kids at age 40, I was fine with having them removed. Obviously, going into instant menopause is going to be a bit of a struggle. I am going in for a bone density scan this Friday to get a baseline so we can watch the levels and make sure they are ok.

I am scheduled for my ovary and Fallopian tube removal next Tuesday (12/27). Frankly, I have been scared of ovarian cancer so I am happy they are removing them -- 1 last thing to worry about getting cancer in! That is a fear I have -- that somewhere in my body I have more cancer lurking. It's probably irrational but it's especially elevated after getting my breast cancer diagnosis this summer.

Looking for some online support and to keep me focused on being positive but also looking to be able to vent occasionally with others who have been through similar situations and knows how it feels. I was on an infertility and miscarriage online support group 15+ years ago when I was having trouble conceiving my children and I am still very close to those 30-40 women today!

Thanks for listening to my blabbering!

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

One thing I will mention with AIs, or to anyone going through breast cancer, exercise helps. By this, I mean walking at least a couple of miles per day, preferably outside. Loss of strength and balance are real and this undermines one's self confidence. I didn't notice the balance until I added in running to the mix. Plus, exercise is a major morale booster.

I also credit exercise for making it through 5 years of AIs with normal bone density. A good thing, because yesterday's ski included a good landing on my butt.

Damp and drizzly here this morning. But yesterday was GLORIOUS! - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire - thanks for the information on exercise. It is much appreciated.

Gail - I completely understand where you are coming from with your diagnosis. Even if a cancer area is small, it is never small to the person going through the experience. There is also a stigma, like a red X, to some women. I did not tell very many people either. I am in my early 50's, have regular menstrual cycles, very functional ovaries. I had the same discussion with my MO and GYN over what to do about my ovaries. At this point, I am going to do the shots, which might kick me into menopause. It will also give me an experience similar to what an oophorectomy is and whether that is something my body could tolerate. My MO and I have a higher level science conversation, because of my background in pharmacy. She gives me the same articles and data that she gives other physicians. The risk for osteoporosis, heart disease, and urinary issues are more significant as we lose our estrogen. With all that being said, I left my decision up to a CA125, which came back extremely low and was a signal for me to at least try the shot. If I don't achieve the hormone levels that I need with the shot, which we will know by hormone testing, then I may consider a hysterectomy. Why a hysterectomy? Because, a greater risk for women taking, let's say, Tamoxifen, is uterine cancer, not ovarian cancer. The Tamoxifen is a great drug choice if the AI's don't work, but I would not want to introduce uterine cancer to the mix. I make my decisions on an incremental basis, like sticking your toe in the water before you jump in to a pool. My BS had to have several discussions with me about the real benefit of lumpectomy + rads, vs. mastectomy. My area was small, my nodes were clear, and, I thought I could do a mastectomy later if warranted. Many women do just as well, if not better, with the lumpectomy. Not only are physicians more knowledgeable about surgery types, meds, interactions, side effects, there is also more science to back up decision making. Where do we go from here? Researchers will continue to push the envelope of treatment and one day, we may not need to get rid of our body parts to cure cancer. For me, I will be holding onto my ovaries for now, but I completely understand where you are coming from psychologically. Many women, including myself, are tossed into a very traumatic event, following a very innocuous mammogram. PTSD is a very real phenomenon in breast cancer patients. My sisters have nursing backgrounds, and I literally hid out at one sister's house during the diagnosis stage. I was in hiding for two weeks, and slowly was able to start functioning again. I came to this website everyday, saw a counselor that I know to develop coping skills, and had an amazing BS from USC trained in oncoplastic surgery. We did surgery through the opening of areola, and I have no scar. You cannot even tell I had surgery. I have been fortunate to have such wonderful doctors and support from other breastcancer.org members, that instead of looking back, I am looking forward. I am glad that you joined us here, Gail.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I decided on a lumpectomy because you can always take out more if need be later..... In fact, I asked my breast surgeon if a lumpectomy would be possible.

Just so you know, I am more than 10 years older than you are, Michelle. I don't have any of these problems: osteoporosis, heart disease, and urinary issues. My libido is just fine too. Problem is no one in my life at the moment, although I did have a fabulous time a couple of years ago dating a guy in his 40s.

I am healthy and very fit. My biggest surprise is that in my mid 60s, I am up to a day of cycling, camping, and then another day of adventure. When I was growing up, not the way older women lived. I have a flourishing consulting business.

The only downside is that with regular exercise, you look a lot better in clothes. You can guess where that leads.

Need to hit the shower as a busy day ahead. Behind on everything including Christmas. It will come anyway. - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, thank you for giving us hope. I knew you were a bit older, but honey, 60s are the new 30s..... didn't someone tell you that already? Do you think that if you were diagnosed today you would have the AC+T? I believe with one node they would remove the node and just do radiation as a treatment. How times do change! You go girl! Great to have a flourishing consulting business (IT or Strategic Planning?). Good for you.... good for you..... :) And, I will be looking forward to regular exercise this coming year. Who doesn't want to look better in clothes?

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Yes, on the AC + T. The node was huge and it was a Grade 3 tumor. The big surprise is that I was Stage IIb, not Stage III, and that only one node was affected. That said, I would most likely have done neo-adjuvant. I participated in the clinical trial that tested metronomic dosing vs. dose dense. Interestingly, the results were exactly the opposite of what they thought going in. Dose dense is normally superior for AC; with Taxol, it's the same survival.

I did six rounds of AC. We shall see if superior to 4 rounds. We will know that in a couple of years.

Consulting is market research and work I do for a brain tumor nonprofit. Some of this involves strategic planning, in that is relates to the use of information to inform business decisions and strategic direction. The nonprofit work is my way of giving back as I got to live. The oddest is knowing when I would have died without treatment. My biggest learning is that we should expect not a "new normal" but "better than ever". If we shoot for the former, we shortchange ourselves on life.

I think the biggest way breast cancer changed me is to strengthen my resolve not to squander my life. Not to mention, I am having a blast. This is my story and I'm sticking to it. - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Amen, Claire. With you all the way.... having a blast too!!

• logang
    logang Member Posts: 144
    Options

I have been a walker for years, but have really stepped it up this year. I walk 1-2 miles almost everyday. On the dreadmill this time of year. It seems to help with joint pain. My hips get sore after sitting for a while, but if I get up and walk it goes away.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

So, what is everyone doing the rest of the week before Christmas. I have been thinking of a quick run to St. Louis, but I might put that off until after Christmas. My son comes home on Wednesday from Switzerland, via Zurich and Munich. I pray for his safety. He traveled heavily on the weekends while attending the university in Switzerland, and had a wonderful time. I told him to make plans to go back, because I know he is going to miss it very much. He can plan a reunion trip next summer. The best part about his experience was traveling with the other people in his dorm that wanted to seek adventure and visit as many areas of Europe as he did. He was a leader amongst 30 or so individuals and was probably one of the youngest. I caught alot of grief from my family by allowing my son and daughter to attend a very good local university. But, I wanted my kids to be intellect smart and street smart, of which they both are now. I also had them hoard their college money and get scholarships. In my thinking, they can always attend an Ivy League or top university for grad school or law school. They are more ready that alot of kids that go away, pledge a frat, and drink to oblivion. I made school very challenging for my son, because he worked for our construction business and went to school. He built his first two duplexes at 17 and has built other dwellings since. His dad and his uncle have mentored him. Our daughter attends school full time, helps coach cheerleading at her former high school (which she loved), and plays volleyball 4 nights per week. She had offers from 13 universities for volleyball scholarships, but decided she did not want to play for her education. She now plays because she loves the sport and I could not be any happier or prouder of her right now. So, for those that think there is only one way to get an education, by going away, I think the kids miss out on support that will catapult them even further in their lives.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I am sure that everyone is super busy getting ready for the holidays. Ours is going to be "low key - little tree" this year. I am currently working on a jewelry design for my mother in law and organizing my son's room in our lower level. I had been using his room as a staging area to get rid of a ton of stuff and felt much more relaxed with space to sort through laundry bags. He is back until Jan 10th and then moves into the dorm, about 20 minutes from our house. He will actually get a townhouse and I will continue to use his room to stage my giveaways. My nieces have taken alot of useful things and we have donated the rest. I think that having bc has focused my mind to the essentials and getting rid of excess. I don't want to keep more than I need or is useful, that way I can focus on what is important instead of stuff.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I am enjoying having a large real tree after my Seattle apartment which was too small to fit one. This year's is just gorgeous. Was a bear to put up solo, but I got it up. It could use another string of lights, but I haven't gotten there. Perhaps this weekend when I am in Yakima.

I am so excited about going Vineyard Skiing. Leave Friday to return Christmas Day. I will ski the vineyard and Cowiche Canyon. Hit Snoqualmie on my way back. Should be perfect conditions. Taking my hiking boots just in case the snow is "thin".

Nice to have most of the Christmas prep behind me. Just one more batch of puddings to steam. Plus my annual YE email to write. Christmas luncheon was yesterday. It was great fun, not to mention lots of good food. Back to bean soup for lunch today.

This has been a wonderful year, so lots to celebrate. Plus many more adventures in 2017. So many cool things to do, so little time. - Claire

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    Options

I am, currently, out five years from my breast cancer diagnosis (Stage 2, Grade 2, ER/PR+, HER2-, positive sentinel node) and had a left-sided lumpectomy, chemotherapy (AC + T) and radiation. I am passing the 4-year mark on Tamoxifen and plan to go the full 10 years. As of today, I have experienced no heart- or lung issues, and my physical health has never been better. Chemotherapy kicked me into permanent menopause, which I have LOVED. Never felt better and glad to have the whole messy business behind me. I had a few early issues with vaginal atrophy, but they resolved with patience and careful use of a medical device for a few months. I've had few issues on Tamoxifen; some very mild side effects that I barely register and my pelvic exams for the last 5 years have been normal. I have not bothered with a hysterectomy because - frankly - I am not having any problems and feel comfortable with my currently yearly exams. Like Claire, I'm a cyclist; however, I have not come anywhere near to the distances she pedals! My longest ride, so far, has been 35 miles. Unfortunately, my butt cannot take much more than that. In the winter, I hike as much as possible.

There is life after breast cancer and, as Claire has said above, a damned good one. The gut-wrenching fear does subside with time, but - for now - recognize that you must be kind to yourself. Do not feel guilty if you can't feel positive all the time. Cancer sucks, treatment sucks even more. But life has a way of settling down and re-arranging itself. Things may never go back to the way they were, but they can be better.

Selena

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Selena and Claire, thank you so much for helping us keep focused on the future. Both of you give all of us newbies, and some oldies, hope for a better tomorrow. I would say that my quality of life is even better than last year. I have been watching my food intake very closely, am getting plenty of rest, and as I had said above getting rid of un-necessary belongings in my life. Claire, your trip sounds like so much fun! I am going to Vegas for a design show in March and am planning to go to Paris in the summer or fall. I want to roam around the flea markets and thrift stores to find vintage religious medals and buttons to incorporate into my work. I finished up a necklace late last night and am putting the finishing touches on a Chanel commissioned piece today. I was up until 3am, as I have had a hard time sleeping. Thought I would sleep in today, but was surprised when my niece dropped off a baby to watch for a couple of hours. She is a single mom with twins (5 months) and a 6 year old, so there is no way that I would turn her down. She is a great mom. That you girls for responding and helping keep a fun, uplifting, no holds barred thread alive. After seeing some of the threads out there, I really wanted to start my own. I am a very positive person and like to surround myself with like-minded bc survivors.

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

I admit to being blissed out....discovered that the perfect pairing with Dungeness crab is a late harvest Riesling. The crab was ginormous, and absolutely delicious. Fresh caught and on sale, so why not???

Thought I had been super-indulgent today and then realized that it was ONLY two cookies. Daughter of one of my co-workers made them. Delish with the chocolate-flavored coffee I got from another co-worker. 15 bean soup for lunch. Must make more soon.

Persimmon for dessert this evening.

I so love this season and all the treats. Off in the AM for my vineyard skiing adventure. Have to sneak in a spot of work first.

Last of Christmas puddings in steamer. Plus, I succumbed to a Pannetone on sale in the supermarket. One of my faves for this season. Particularly decadent as French toast.

Looking forward to the practical, I can see that 2017 is already shaping up well. I am going to upgrade my place with an electric fireplace and hang my 19th Century French tapestry fragment above. (Now that I have figured out that ordering online costs 1/6 of going to the local framer, plus a better end result.) I just bought the mantle clock that didn't sell at our silent auction. I think the end result will be stellar. Buying the electric fireplace with credit card points.

Taking down the tree will be far less traumatic with fireplace on order.

Who knows what adventures Yakima will bring???

One thing I will advise. Plan on something SPECTACULAR to kick off 2017. Since skiing is amazing this year, that is what I am planning. I will do wine bar + jazz on NYE eve. Skiing both weekend days. Then utilizing January 2 as a planning day so I can hit the ground running in 2017. Thinking of a ski weekend (different spot - Methow Valley) for my birthday in February. Too soon to plan beyond this.

Land of the Sweets (burlesque Nutcracker) is on Boxing Day. Another hoot, and glam to boot. So very fun. Wonderful music (Ellington score) and dancing.....yes, I mean dancing as Lily Verlaine is classically trained and just brilliant.

One more item. I have to show up at wine bar with a Rillettes de Tours. One of my specialties. Will make enough to share around. Again delish.

Why I make sure I do a LOT of skiing this time of year if possible. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it (unless I encounter a better diversion or 2).

Merry Christmas to all and a WONDERFUL 2017!!! - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire in Seattle, that sounds so amazing. My son returned from Switzerland, and now he is a neat freak. My daughter has the stomach flu and I think I might be getting it too. Ugh. Hopefully tomorrow will be uneventful because I am really looking to have a fun holiday before my AI's start. I finished wrapping most presents and finished three big projects plus a photography project. I had taken some family pictures for my niece and had to get them framed and developed. They look really good and I am excited for her to see the end result!!

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

I ended up getting the Norwalk virus, as did my son, daughter, husband, sister, and three great nephews. I did not vomit, but had nausea and body aches. The aches were so bad, that I kept praying that taking the AI would not cause the same feeling. My fever finally, broke in the middle of the night and I was a bit more sane. My niece, whose family has been sick, picked up her pictures and she loved them. I was happy to see her face when she opened her box.

• LovesToFly
    LovesToFly Member Posts: 705
    Options

Hi, nice to see a positive place to talk about our hormonal treatments and other stuff.

I have been on tamoxifen since May, and changed to Aromasin in early December, 3 months after starting the Zoladex shots.

I am 43 recently, every step of this was very scary for me since I was nowhere near menopause when I was diagnosed last year. I have been pleased though, really my side effects are not too bad, I have hot flashes that keep me up at night sometimes, and sometimes I have insomnia for no reason. I do find that taking melatonin, Tylenol p.m., or Ativan helps. I tend to alternate them so that I don't get to dependant on anyone medication, and on nights when I know that I'm going to be able to sleep in, like weekends, sometimes I will take nothing.

I also have a fair amount of joint pain when I first get up, or after I've been sitting or lying in the same position for a long time. Once I move around it goes away though.

All in all, I would say the hormonal treatments are much more tolerable than I feared they would be.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Jill - thanks for your support for those of us that have not started the AI and Zoladex. For me, fear is the worst part of anything. I feared the lumpectomy, which was very easy to get through. I feared radiation, that never got me down or burned my chest, and now I fear the hormonal. I know that I am a "see how I feel as I go person," but fear does creep into my thoughts. I get my shot next Friday and my doctor has the dexa scan done in the same building. I want to keep this an upbeat and lively thread, because I have seen others who ask innocent questions, get bombarded by less than inspiring stories. There is so much good in the world, so much good in medicine, so much good in life, that we have to take the moments to recognize that and embrace every single day. I am really glad you joined us, Jill.

• LovesToFly
    Options

Michelle, I'm glad to be here. I was so scared of the hormonal treatments, I wanted to refuse tamoxifen, that I wanted to refuse Zoladex, that I wanted to refuse Aromasin. The oncologist was wonderful...reminding me that it was worth at least trying since every step decrease my risk of recurrence a little bit, and that if the side effects were too hard to live with I could always take a step back. She was right, I'm so glad I listen to her and tried, because most of the things I was so scared of never came true. Obviously hot flashes and insomnia are not fun, nor joint pain, but it is all manageable and none of it makes me miserable or impacts my quality of life hugely. I was worried about weight gain and sexual issues, and have not had problems in either area

• claire_in_seattle
    Options

Not sure if this counts as "inspirational" but I can say that the right "underpinnings" can go a long way towards improving one's feeling about all sorts of things. I was reminded of this yesterday evening when I went to see "Land of the Sweets", the Burlesque Nutcracker. Lots of lovely corsets which do divine things for the figure (prior to their removal!).

I swear that silk underwear got me through chemo.

More on silk. I got a gift certificate to a major seller of outdoor gear for Christmas. My silk long johns were several years overdue for replacement. Think tatters and runs. Major draughty, not a good thing for long johns. I was able to FINALLY snag a replacement, and the matching silk turtleneck.

I can't wait for them to arrive!

Which reminds me that I have a few other items in need of an upgrade..... Life is too short for less than fabulous "underpinnings". - Claire

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Options

Claire, you are an inspiration yourself, underpinnings or no underpinnings. The fact that you are so active, that you ski, you contribute to society in a meaningful manner, is a huge inspiration. Jill, aren't you the runner? I love to see other active, vital women that puts a completely different spin on having been diagnosed with abnormal cells (bc). I wholeheartedly agree with your oncologist, just take things on a incremental basis, step by step, and see how you do. That is exactly what I am going to do. We are going to be "at" this for a long time, so we can't put the cart in front of the horse. Maybe in a couple of years, they will find something else that is effective to treat and prevent recurrence, that does not have any side effects. I just am thankful for my positive nature and wicked sense of humor, as it helps me get through some pretty tough situations. Even though I am early 50s, my nieces, 30 years old, are my sidekicks. I feel that my biological age is more that of a late 30's/early 40's person. I went to Macy's with one niece tonight, and tried on a couple of things that looked really good on me (lost a few lbs.) I am ready for a new year and a new me. (sounds like a Jenny Craig commercial....but I mean it!!!)

• LovesToFly
    Options

yes I'm the runner. Ran a 15k race the day before I found it. I'm not much of a runner since treatment...but I'm getting there. I'm planning on a 10k in may. Last year was the first time in 7 years I didn't do this specific race. Excited to do it again even if I'm slow and have to walk some of it!

2017 is gonna be awesome!