Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Comments

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    edited January 2017

yeah, it's just a different mindset to get into. I used to think, if I couldn't go an hour, it wasn't worth it. I am now conditioning myself to say.....yeah, go girl....who cares that it Wasn't even 20 minutes. Strange how I still sweat like it was an hour...lol. Feeling better is what is important :).

I got a massage today :).

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited January 2017

This week I have been tired! I'm not sure just why but I got a DTP vaccination update on Monday at my annual physical, and I think it took a lot of out of me. My arm muscle is still sore!

Still, you all motivate me to keep active. Last night I did about 30 minutes of my own blend of Zumba, Cardio-Kick box, and jogging in place. It's too cold and snowy to be outside here in the hinterlands. Ended with some 5 Tibetans, though I sort of cheated and only did four of the five! I just don't like doing the camel posture. Probably that means that is the one I should do the most as that is usually how these things work. The one you hate to do is the one you most need to do.

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    edited January 2017

Work and family commitments have got in the way of any serious exercise but I have a short fall back walk I do each day if I can't get any other exercise in. It's only 4km but it takes me along the beach and while it won't turn me in to a athlete it does help me get my daily vitamin D dose and is great for my mental health. There was a time when I would have considered a walk like his almost a waste of time but 3 years with MBC has taught me any action is good for us.

I was pleased to get out on the water and do a hour long paddle fit this morning. The weather was perfect for it. Pilates starts up again next week and I can't wait to get into that again.

As usual everyone inspires me with their activities big and small

Shaz

• susan3
    edited January 2017

ok...I am jealous you must be in a warm place:). We can't paddle...but we can ice fish😜

My excercise was intense cleaning today and I worked 4 hours. I'm exhausted, but very happy

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,070
    edited January 2017

My exercise consisted of grocery shopping, running errands. Must have walked for almost an hour. I am happy with that.

Susan, awesome job with the cleaning. That would be quite the workout.

Shazza, paddleboard sounds like a great workout. Jealous you have summer but glad you are out enjoying it.

Great job everyone.

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2017

Jogged 2 miles slowly on a treadmill and then did 15 minutes of HIIT. Followed that up with abs and the yoga series. Made it to the sauna and did the dry brushing thing. I love vacations but it is more relaxing to be home and back into my exercise, diet and sleep routine.

My daughter wins the class spelling bee every year which gets her into the school-wide spelling bee. This is unfortunate because she hates spelling, hates studying spelling (and I make her study for the school competition). We've been studying words all night ... silhouette, prestidigitation, moiety, forfeit ... english is a terrible language. Spelling bee tomorrow.

Mara - The grocery store is certainly good for a hike. It is an inspiration to watch you get a little better, bit by bit. Hope the kitties are settling in and providing good napping coaching.

We have exceptional days when we impress ourselves with our workouts but that is not necessary on a daily basis. The key is to maintain a consistent, moderate baseline through the distractions of life and nonsense from MBC.

Impressive consistency ladies... keep moving.

>Z<

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2017

Well done all. Housework is quite the workout so 4hrs a top effort! And an hours walking is great Mara.

ShazzaKelly, agree absolutely with your philosophy. I did my run this morning, managed 8kms but during it confronted a hill I couldn't face so walked it. Normally I would have been scolding myself but now am much more forgiving.

Something else I've been doing which lifts me a littlebit is do my exercise in the morning, eat a healthy breakfast and then take my meds. Makes me feel good about the day and positive about the meds rather than resentful. I know everyone had set times for meds and exercise etc and it might not suit anybody else but it's helping me and with this diagnosis every little bit that helps along the way is worth sharing!

Keep up the great work xxx

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited January 2017

Brendatrue, welcome back!! You are a true trooper! Variety is the spice of life, as they say.  Susan, I am envious of your treadmill at home as I slip and slide on the slushy sidewalks to get to the treadmill at the gym.  Maybe a dose of HIIT on the treadmill will increase your aerobic capacity?  Z, nothing more restorative than a nap when the kids are gone.

Plan to do Body Combat today at the gym since neither DD nor DH are home for dinner.

• susan3
    edited January 2017

2 miles on treadmill. Yeahhhh. That was my goal for the end of February. They say body/muscles have memory:) it's only been the last 2 years that my ability has changed. So I think body is happy trying to get to normal routine. I am so happy I got this treadmill. Much easier than outdoors. And the moving treads is very helpful :)

Rock in today girls

• teacher911
    teacher911 Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2017

Made it back to gym this morning. Felt so good to be there. Hoping to get back to Yoga next week. Little by little step by step!

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 745
    edited January 2017

You ladies are rockin it!!! So inspiring:).

Fitbit doesn't count vacuuming as exercise, what ??

Trying to do short bursts throughout the day to get more steps in today. So many germs at the gym plus the icy walks. Ugh.

Love this thread

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited January 2017

I've fallen off the wagon this week. My oldest turned 8 and I had to clean house and get ready to party. Ate junk too. I can feel it.

Did find Body Ekectric on tv so want to do that. It made a big difference when I was healthy.

I keep forgetting about the five rites and the sun salutation. Thanks for the reminder. Need to try tumericbefore I try to run.

• zarovka
    edited January 2017

Go ladies! 20 minutes of HIIT/ 2 miles of jogging/sprinting on a treadmill and I then I did the weight machines at the gym. Planing to get my 15 minutes of yoga and some abs done tonight.

>Z<

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,070
    edited January 2017

Lots of weight lifting done as I had to replace an old tv. Lots of lifting etc. That was enough for me.

Good job everyone.

• MSL
    edited January 2017

Zills hope the party for your 8yo was terrific (he's getting big!) and remember cleaning up is often very physical work (including vacuuming Iwrite). A bit of activity each day is all you need to kick start again.

Heidihill Body Combat sounds tough but fun! I've been following you closely (not in a weird way I promise) and I love your attitude and approach. So thank you so much for sharing what's worked for you over these many years, it's incredibly helpful for the rest of us.

Well done on the treddie Susan! To be where you wanted to be six weeks early is awesome. And teacher fab you are back at the gym. Mara, well done you too, TVs are damned heavy!

Z you sound tops, full of energy and punching all the way. Inspiring us all as usual.

I pushed through 6kms this morn (it's very hot here). Sweated a lot and felt pretty good. Made it up the hill I squibbed yesterday but paid for it in a reduced distance.

Well done to everyone

• dghoff
    edited January 2017

I've been prettylow-key this week with mini home workouts but you all just inspired me to do a round of push-ups before getting ready for bed! You are all awesome!

• patchingpeg
    patchingpeg Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2017

Hi, all - glad to join! I was really active for the first half of 2016 after years of taking it all for granted. Then July was crazy - back once again to full-time work and cancer diagnosis all if a few short weeks. Then I had thoracic surgery in Sept to remove a hot lymph node under my sternum. I am still recovering from that surgery - sneezing brings tears to my eyes.

So, Z and all of you have inspired me. I got really good PET scan results the other day and know that the time is now. That being said, right now, we are getting in the car to go 350+ miles to visit my sister in Baltimore.

I hope to work this year of flexibility, weight management, and stamina.

Kudo all around!

• shazzakelly
    edited January 2017

Beautiful Saturday here. Hired a paddle board and went for a 90 minute paddle round the mangroves.

Walked with a friend yesterday for a hour. It's too hot and muggy for much more.

Really all we need to commit to is some movement everyday. Preferably something that makes you happy.

Have a great weekend eve

• zarovka
    edited January 2017

Found out today I got strep throat from my daughter who was diagnosed with strep two days ago. Started antibiotics and took a great 3 hour nap. I had some energy when I woke up. I went for a 2 mile run and did the little bone yoga sequence and got some ab work in. My routine in the past has been been to run off a cold, but I was quite surprised to be able to pull it off with all the drugs I am on.

It freaks me out to get an infection when my neutrophils and white blood cells are slammed. I am hopeful I nipped this infection in the bud. I don't know whether it is the run or the antibiotics but the sore throat is almost gone. Yay me.

DGHoff, Shazza, patchingpeg, Mara, MSL and everyone ... we're off to a great start this year matching our intentions with consistent workouts that fit our lives and circumstances at the moment. Whatever you do, as long as you move, it's all good.

Keep moving ...

>Z<

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited January 2017

Patchingpeg, great news on the scan results!! Teacher, welcome back! Z, good for you for showing those strep bugs who's boss.

MSL, no worries about following my moves. Glad to be of help.  Body Combat was tough, a bit much for me actually as the next day I had to take it easy as I couldn't seem to catch my breath. I probably killed some white blood cells or something during Combat. 

Shazzy, it would make me very happy to paddle around mangroves. But it's winter and there are no mangroves here anyway. I felt good though running  3K, doing weights and bone yoga at the gym.

• dghoff
    edited January 2017

Patchingpeg - Always love to hear great scan news from my BC friends! Yay!

Shazz, I would LOVE to have paddleboarding as an option! Sounds glorious! I've never paddleboarded on the ocean before, just on lakes. I imagine it's a bit different out on the open water!

I did something totally opposite of paddleboarding today. I have a Surly Pugsley fat tire bike, and my hubby and I did about a 30 or 40 minute ride. I live about 2 miles from the Mississippi River, and we biked over there and rode on the unplowed snowy trails down by the river for a bit. Whew! That is a tough workout to bike through snow!

Then did about a 2 mile walk with the family and dropped off some books at all the Little Free Libraries in our neighborhood. Now I'm about to wind down the night with some pushups and then yoga in front of the fireplace.

A good day! Hope you are all having a good, active weekend!

D.

• zarovka
    edited January 2017

My daughter won the damn spelling bee at her elementary school last week so she advances. The district spelling bee is in 5 days. We spent the whole day grinding through 2,000 spelling words. Today was my homage to not moving. I got an all time low of 2500 steps. I had blocked out an hour to workout and that got hijacked by unexpected events, so I got my rest day. Happens occasionally.

But I learned a lot of crazy words. Check out bezoar (from the arabic) if you want to be grossed out. Apparently ruminants form rock like material in their stomachs after a while and that is a bezoar.

Tomorrow and Monday we ski and go tubing in Taos, so lots of moving.

On antibiotics and pondering whether to stop the Ibrance until the strep throat is fully under control. Just finished week two. Thinking I might just do that ...

I see you all kept moving today without me. Excellent. I'll catch up with you tomorrow.

>Z<

• dghoff
    edited January 2017

Z- I'm not sure if I should say "congratulations" or " so sorry" about your daughter winning the spelling bee! ☺️. You are a good mama for helping her learn all those words! Maybe a slow day was just what your body needs to fends off the strep bugs. Have fun tubing

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2017

I love seeing all these posts! Yesterday my husband and kids went to a rv show. We walked around for 3 hours climbing up and down steps the whole time! I was wore out! I am 6 days out after starting the treatment and I could definitely tell a difference in my energy level! I do yoga stretches each day myself. Today I will be going in for my session with my friend! If I don't do this I'm so stiff feeling!!

Have a great day everyone

• shazzakelly
    edited January 2017

Muggy and hot here. 8k walk and my 5 Tibetans practice. I haven't done that for a while and it showed. A shower and off to work. Have a great day eve

• dghoff
    edited January 2017

Cleaned out my son's closet today (if I let him do it, all the old junky bits and bobs would never get thrown out). A 20 minute walk outside in the snowy sunshine, 20 minutes running on the treadmill at the gym, and then I led a 1 hour yoga practice that included a few side planks thrown in and some good thigh-burning goddess poses. Focus was on the 2nd chakra so I feel nice and loose and the creative juices are flowing! A good Sunday!

• zarovka
    edited January 2017

Goddess pose is quite the thigh burner.

Skiing at taos. A lot of hiking around in ski boots today and moguls. Feels like I did goddess pose.

Huge numbers of words were spelled today.

Skiing and more spelling tomorrow. Off to study words that came to modern english from old english...

Thanks for the updates everyone.

Keep moving.

>Z<

• MSL
    edited January 2017

Z I'm not surprised your daughter is a very smart little girl with you as her mom! Sounds like fun!

Everyone is doing so well, and so many different activities.Inspiring. Love the goddess pose DG!

I've been running each day, usually about 8kms although it's very hot and humid here. I went for a run yesterday, felt like I'd had a shower in my clothes, then the news said the humidity was as intense as a greenhouse! No need for a sauna/steam room.

Go well all xxx

• BionicBunny
    BionicBunny Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2017

Hi everyone-been a while since I have posted due to general busyness, holidays, guests, pet sitting, and some new health challenges-two steps forward, one step back. Will be switching to a different chemo this Friday. But I have managed to keep moving, mostly time at the gym and some outside walks and bike rides. Squeezed in a very short ride on one of the local bike trails today and am planning on an early morning trip to the gym tomorrow.

It is great to see so many posting on this thread. I really enjoy reading about all the different activities you are doing. What an amazing group of ladies you are!

Teacher911-yes we made it to the Wonderful Run again this year. So glad you did too, and I loved the photo. What a fun time! And a springtime road trip sounds like a wonderful idea. Let's do it:)

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2017

I made it to Zumba tonight! This is the first time since my original diagnosis last February! It felt so good. I thought I may forget some of the songs they use to do with chemo brain but I didn't. It was a great night and I finished it off with some yoga stretches. Last night I did yoga and then some ab work. I'm weak in my stomach. I had reconstruction and used my belly so I have an incision from hip to hip. I'm so happy to have this to motivate me!

Mist