Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Options

Comments

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited January 2017
    Options

After widespread bone mets diagnosis in September, I worried that starting a walking program might find me out on the sidewalk with snapped femurs! I asked to see an orthopedic oncologist who x-rayed and told me my skeleton was not compromised right now and I could do anything I wanted. I got up to 4 miles 4 times a week and, unfortunately, stopped when the weather got cold. You all are inspiring me to get started again! It was so good for me physically and mentally.

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2017
    Options

Welcome Pat.

Walking should work even with bone mets. Consider classes, aquatics, treadmills, videos, Xbox fitness. Anything that feels safe and fun. Get a fitbit and join our group if you want a little help with motivation. I find I need it in the winter.

I line up indoor options for cold days like today (26F here). Today I jogged 2 miles and walked 1 mile on a treadmill. Hit the weight machines for a few reps. Got a massage and hung out in the IR sauna. A winter workout treat.

If you scroll up, you will find we have a little 12 pose yoga routine which can be done in 15 -20 minutes if you really move along. I will throw in abs and some body weight poses to bring it up to 45 minutes and check off my resistance training.

Keep moving ladies.

>Z<

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,129
    edited January 2017
    Options

2 AirClimber videos on my stepper. 40 mins total. Broke down LOTS of boxes since I want to make room to do Walking Away the Pounds.

Great job moving.

• GracieM2007
    GracieM2007 Member Posts: 1,255
    edited January 2017
    Options

I got dressed up really warm today (it was really cold), and went outside and picked up limbs and debris out of the yard, then I swept the driveway...I figured I burnt off a few calories :)

• mara51506
    edited January 2017
    Options

Gracie, yes that definitely is exercise. We often forget that household chores also count toward exercise. Great job!

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2017
    Options

I did Zumba again yesterday evening. It was only 2 days after receiving the trial treatment and ii was pretty tired but I finished the hour long class. I was drained after it lol! Tomorrow night I will be going to a Zumba fundraiser and it is 2 hours but I will most likely not make it that long! It is fun though and for a good cause.

Great job everyone, you keep me inspired and motivated

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Everything counts here on the Stage V fitness thread! If you get out of bed, you are moving, and you are a hero. Everything else is gravy.

Mara - you getting into some intense workouts. Amazing with infusions this week.

Go ladies!

>Z<

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2017
    Options

Amen Z!

I did a big run this morningand then drank champagne in the afternoon.

Does lifting the glass count as weights? 😉😉

Well done everyone xx

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    edited January 2017
    Options

it's 1 am and I just arrived home from my holiday. Wow everyone has been so busy, I'm impressed. I had a great time away the first 4 days were in the city and we averaged 15 km a day walking around seeing the sites, shopping etc. The last few days were at a beach house down the coast we we got in a couple of actual bush walks both about 13 km and plenty of swimming in the sea.

Back to reality now and lots of laundry. I'll get a walk in tomorrow hopefully and have arranged to go paddle boarding on Sunday.

Love seeing what everyone is doing

• GracieM2007
    edited January 2017
    Options

I walked 32 minutes today and have gotten in 5236 steps!!!! I hurt like the dickens but did it anyway!!!!

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Nice job. Try ibuprofen and heat. If you are on Femera try horse doses of liposomally encapsulated curcumin (2000mg/day). It's very important to stay well enough to move.

I jogged 5 miles for the first time since well before my diagnosis, probably since before metastasis. So showing up consistently for a even a lame effort even when you feel like crap does pay off in the end.

It was a slow jog, 12 minute mile pace. Could have run further, but a little worried about the old knees. I can see doing a 10K by October. 10 pushups is much less likely.

I've been able to get to The 12 Pose Yoga Routine daily this week. That really is helping overall wellbeing, sleep, stiffness.

Thank you for the support everyone.

It is fun to be on the UPswing and improving. But exercising on the DOWNswing, for those of you lurking, is even more important and beneficial. Doesn't matter much what you do or really how much (above about 20 minutes of activity) it makes a huge difference. It also doesn't matter if you are getting worse or better. Strange business this Stage V fitness. Just keep moving.

>Z<

• GracieM2007
    edited January 2017
    Options

Awesome about your jog, Z :) I will look for that curcumin next time I'm in Wichita. I know I can't get it here. I did take about 400 mg. of Ibuprofen, haven't put heat on it, but will do that before bed. I'm in awe of you doing a long run. !!!

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2017
    Options

great job everyone! I can say it really does help with all aspects of this! I made it the 2 hours tonight at Zumba. I plan on going to yoga class in the morning. I will say after class I was quite emotional, just thinking about how I use to do this class religiously and then my diagnosis kept me away for 11 months. I had lots of tears rolling down my cheeks. It was lots of different emotions.....happy I made it and thankful to still be able to do it and just knowing that I'm not taking these things for granted anymore. But also being envious a little bit of all the women there living carefree lives and longing for that feeling again. I'm coming up on my year from my original diagnosis so not sure if that is part of it or just my hormone drained body now. I'm on day 19 of treatment and it's been a month since ovaries were removd.anyway I'm just thankful to be able to do these things and thankful for all you ladies

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited January 2017
    Options

I hear you Apg. I'm just a little over a year out from diagnosis too, and lots of emotions surface for me too. I brought my son to a shadow day at a high school he is thinking about attending, and I just about started to sob in the car after dropping him off. Last year, I was having difficulty breathing, and I wasn't sure I would even be here to see him enter high school, and now I'm feeling like, hey, I'm going to be here not only for high school, but college too. Yeah. I'm so thankful to be feeling OK and to be able to move and do all the things I mostly want to do despite everything. Keeping myself moving has been crucial to how I feel, and all you wonderful people help to keep me motivated.

I must confess that I took the day off from exercise aside from a few sun salutations and stretches to start the day. I decided to spend the evening hanging out with my family watching a movie. I know this weekend will be active as we are headed up to the woods to do some snow shoeing, so I will definitely make up for it.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Showing up for Zumba or simple mom tasks all take quite a bit of courage indeed. The smallest things bring up what ifs and whys. The intensity of life with MBC is a gift but also scary. Good job showing up.

I got my yoga in during my daughters soccer practice. I was deep into my practice on the stage beside the gym when the custodian, whose english is limited, stuck his head through the door and asked "What are you?". What am I?... my mind wandered for a while ... spiritual being, science experiment, on the floor, mother, stiff ... before I came back to this planet and realize he just wanted to know what I was doing on the stage at the elementary school knotted up like a pretzel at 6:30pm on Friday.

Keep moving.

>Z<

• margaritams
    margaritams Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks for the encouraging shout-out to those of us lurking, Zarovka! I follow this thread because I do find you all to be so inspiring and motivating! If I had a fitbit, I would like to join your group. I want to continue to move and work out but much as I like to be active, I've never liked to workout for the sake of workout i.e. I hate the fitness club and my home treadmill. That said, I too feel better and sleep better when I move during the day so I keep trying to find ways to do it.

I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of snow here in lower Michigan - I haven't yet been able to get out my skis yet and only have been able to use my snow shoes once! On the upside, the lack of ice has made hiking possible so I'm trying to keep doing it. I usually manage 2-3 miles. I also have a yoga-flow DVD that I use when the weather doesn't cooperate with getting outside. The forecast for today is snow so fingers-crossed!

Keep on, keeping on!

• perky2020
    perky2020 Member Posts: 72
    edited January 2017
    Options

What an inspiring group! So happy you guys are here! Just put a fitbit on my Amazon wish list. Thank you for the experienced advice on which one to get Z!

Just diagnosed with MBC about a month ago. Spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself and mostly stopped all exercises. After reading through the Ibrance thread and feeling sense of control coming back (at least I can ask informed questions!) and reading this site, I am feeling so much more optimistic.

Did some ab work this morning and going for a walk this afternoon.

While I wait for my fitbit so I can join you guys, I am using an app on my phone that tracks steps, It is a beautiful sunny day!

• mara51506
    edited January 2017
    Options

Perky, welcome to our group. We are happy to have you. You got some great exercise. It will help minimize side effects and boost your mood. That is so good for lowering stress.

2 Air Climber videos, 40 minutrs, 20 minutes on stationary bike for me.

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Perky - you are doing very well for being one month out of initial diagnosis. the pity party lasted a lot longer for most of us. glad you lost so little time getting your life back. whatever you enjoyed before, get back to it asap.

Margarita - welcome. great exercise routine.

Hope we hear more from both of you soon.

Skied for 3 hours. Fitbit doesn't give me much credit for this accomplishment, but I am done for the day.

>Z<

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2017
    Options

Welcome perky, and well done on hitting the ground running so to speak! Welcome Margarita, keep up the good work and let us know about it, it's a top motivator for us all.

Z, you'll hit the 10km mark by next month the way you're going with all that running and skiing for 3hrs is a big workout.

Did 9km run this morning in gorgeous sunshine. Should feel good but having one of those down days that hit you out of the blue. Reading about everyone's workouts, advice and general courage in the face of this crap helps. Thanks.

Keep punching

• perky2020
    perky2020 Member Posts: 72
    edited January 2017
    Options

Slept way to much last night (12 hours!) and was in a bit of a funk this morning after having slept so much and dreams about cancer. So....Ha! 7890 steps today and 10 lunges. I feel so much better!

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Perky - If you sleep that much it is because you need it, but it can be hard to pull oneself out of the haze. Good job getting some steps in.

I hung out with the family and cooked today. Nice day. dismal step count.

>Z<

• margaritams
    margaritams Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome! I guess that I should be careful what I wish for! We finally got some snow over this weekend and while it wasn't quite enough to do any skiing yet, I did take a long and lovely but bitterly cold walk on the beach (I live on Lake Michigan), during which I managed to slip and fall right down on my bum. Didn't even see the ice as it just looked like sand but boy was it slick! I broke the fall with my hand so am experiencing a bit of a sore thumb today but nothing too serious. It felt good to get some steps in anyway. It wasn't a huge number but about 5000 more than any day in the past week so that's something. :)

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited January 2017
    Options

Welcome, perky and Margarita! Sorry for the fall, Margarita, but glad nothing serious.

Classes at my gym haven't resumed and have been cancelled for a month. Outrageous. I hope they at least extend my membership.

I have been stuffing myself all weekend as we celebrated DHs birthday up in the mountains with friends. My SIL and I took advantage of the spa facilities and pretended to be naked under our towels. This is life in Europe. The nudist police are everywhere.  I did manage to get a few hikes in. No skiing as I don't like having to make everyone wait for me.

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited January 2017
    Options

Welcome Perky and Margarita!

You all have been so active the past few days!! Great job everyone. I've been staying with grandkids and watching them exercise (hockey) all weekend. Got on the treadmill this morning and walked after they went to school. 1.6miles plus some stretching...feels sooo much better!

The sky is blue in Chicago for the first time in a week...so good to see the sun:)

• GracieM2007
    edited February 2017
    Options

I got in almost 5000 steps today...would have liked more but holy cow its hard to get those steps...hopefully will build up to more. I got a Fitbit so that's going to help.

Edited, I realized that somehow my phone had added a t to the "its"...lol...appropriate for the site, I know, but not at all appropriate for the sentence :)

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Gracie - You know you have pushed yourself appropriately, but not too much, when you are coming up with expressions like Holy Cow Tits. You may get more tomorrow, you may get less. It's about showing up and find out where you are, each day. 5000 steps is perfect.

Last Friday I ran 5 miles. This week I am scratching my head, wondering where the heck that came from. 2 miles jogging, one mile walking today and I was done. But I got my little weight lifting sequence and my magic 12 pose yoga sequence and my abs done. The dreams of running a 10K have drifted further in to the distance, but really a good day.

Keep moving everyone. It is inspiring to see everyone doing so well.

>Z<

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi All - Nice workouts all around!

I went up North this weekend, but snowshoeing was a bust as it was too icy. Did get a ton of walking around though in Duluth and managed to stay pretty active. Yesterday got a 40 minute run/walk in and some yoga. Today I did my Five Tibetans, taught a 1 hour gentle yoga class at my local Gilda's Cancer Club, and then was going to say enough, but realized I was a bit low on my steps so my son and I had living room dance party for 30 minutes. Trying to get to at least 8,000 a day, but some days it sure is hard to find time. We do what we can, right?

• GracieM2007
    edited February 2017
    Options

Z LOL!!! It was a typo, lol!!!! Oh my gosh...embarrasing LOL!

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited February 2017
    Options

Greetings to all! I've been managing most days to exercise at least 45 minutes--still trying to promote variety but given my preference for walking, lately I've been doing more walking than other kinds of activities (mine include gentle yoga, modified Tai Chi, light strengthening, classical stretch, that sort of thing). I'm still trying to incorporate little bursts of activity throughout the day, and I am also standing more than sitting whenever that's workable. Pat, I noticed that you mentioned your walking had stopped when the weather got cold. You might want to check out the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home programs on YouTube. She has a two-mile walk combined with an upper body light weight workout that I especially like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5uilZNoaAU I mix up her routines, and that helps, too.

I just signed up for "The Yoga Summit/Your 21-Day Online Journey to Enhanced Health, Happiness, and Peace." You can check it out here: https://www.theyogasummit.org/home/ When you register, you receive login information to access one 30 minute video/interview every day for 21-days. The videos are free for 24 hours. The event itself launches 02 01 17.

I enjoy reading all the comments, goals, and accomplishments. Cheers to all of us who are making ANY effort to move throughout 2017!