Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Comments

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2017

Welcome Brenda - Great suggestions. Great fitness strategy. Look forward to hearing from you.

>Z<

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    edited February 2017

I wasn't too active since Friday until today. I was really struggling with mouth sores over the weekend. Those things are painful. I had 7 of them all on the left side of my mouth which is weird that I had none on the right. I get my infusion on the left side so who knows. Anyway it effected my ability to eat so I was grouchy and didn't want to do much of anything. They are going away now, I only have 3 left. I went to Zumba tonight and I did yoga last night. I'll get a routine going sometime. It just feels good to do something

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,069
    edited February 2017

Brenda, thank you for the suggestion to look up Leslie Sansone on youtube. I did have her dvds years ago but lost them in a move. I will definitely check out the youtube material.

Managed 2 Air Climber vids, 20 mins stationary bike later in the afternoon. I still like to break up my exercise into shorter bursts ie 10 to 20 mins as I am more likely to do it in shorter bursts.

Good job everyone. Apg, glad to hear your mouth sores are clearing up.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017

Apg - Try any detox strategy you like and see how it effects those sores ... saunas are one option. Of course exercise is another. Exercise really clears out the crud.

>Z<

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 745
    edited February 2017

APG -In desperation I bought Oragel for the mouth sores and it brought some relief. I love spicy food, but found it better to go mild that last week on Ibrance.

20 minutes of swimming today. Those intervals on the treadmill mess with my lower back for days. Going to find some alternatives.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited February 2017

Apg, sage lozenges work for me. I leave the lozenge in the affected areas for a little while. Only pure sage though and not mixed with menthol or Vitamin C as this is the most soothing. Sage oil might work, too.

Iwrite, maybe a stint on an upper body ergometer or rowing machine if you have access to them? Or an elliptical? My back would also hurt on the treadmill so I avoided them for a long time.

Trying out ballroom dancing tonight.

• margaritams
    margaritams Member Posts: 183
    edited February 2017

hi all, am sitting at hospital today awaiting infusion. Had a great walk yesterday I need a local park. It's a lovely 3 mile loop which is a great and easy way to get some steps. If I'm by myself, I often listen to podcasts on my phone but yesterday I was joined by my sis visiting from out of town. Chatting the whole way makes me realize how much cardio workout it is since I'm huffing and puffing as I get my words out.

Well, was just told to come back in 2 hours for infusion so time to walk the hospital corridors! Have a great day, everyone!

• zarovka
    edited February 2017

Margarita - We have a long tradition on this thread of walking hospitals corridors between treatments. Know you are in good company and imagine you are back in your local park.

I tried jogging on the treadmill this morning, only got a mile of jogging in and another mile of fast walking. I am feeling shaky and weak this week. I just increased my metformin dose at the suggestion of my doc. I think I am going to drop the metformin for a few days and see if that gets rid of the shakiness. Not interested in any complementary medicines that interfere with my workout.

Getting 150 minutes per week of actual cardio (heart rate in the cardio zone according to fitbit) per the ACA guidelines is a challenge. I haven't gotten there yet this year. But I got my weights and my yoga and my abs in. Will be getting a lot of steps today like it or not because the car is in the shop.

Great workouts, great adjustments, just figure out a way to keep going.

>Z<

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited February 2017

I'm going to have to check out that Leslie Samsone video. It's been bitterly cold the last couple of days here. Yesterday I didn't have much energy and felt almost dizzy a couple times, so I didn't do too much aside from a little gentle yoga in the evening. But this morning, I had my infusion and turned out my blood pressure was on the low side. I get extra fluids with my Herceptin and Perjeta, and it perked me right back up. It seems I must have been a bit dehydrated. Probably explains the foot cramps I was having last night too. I forget sometimes how much more water I need now that I exercise so much more and with the effects of the medications.

Tonight I did 20 minutes running/walking on the treadmill and led a 1 hour core focused yoga practice, then came home and did 10 more minutes of cardio dancing and a few gob squats. Good enough for an infusion day!

• Apg
    edited February 2017

thanks so much for all the advice! I actually have a gift certificate for a sauna spa day! I'm going to have to use it very soon!

• heidihill
    edited February 2017

DG, ThumbsUp. Margarita, hope your infusion day went well, too.

Z, I had to stop metformin after 30 days also due to muscle weakness and, in addition, constipation. I could barely get up a flight of stairs. I had read some research about metformin combined with exercise and decided they needed to study that more before I would take another pill. But maybe I still killed some cancer cells in those 30 days.

Have to find my way back to a routine. I need some sunny days to get some energy.

• mara51506
    edited February 2017

OMG, love the Leslie Sansone vids on youtube. I found a couple of 5 min ones that were fun and did 3 of the energy booster one (5 mins) She also said the 5 min ones were equivalent to 500 steps. Did another 10 mins of a one mile walk. That was all I could do but was happy with it. Will probably do some air climber work later. I break it up, not done all at once but same benefits none the less.

Heidi, hope your weather improves enough to get outside to the sunshine.

Great job everyone!

• zarovka
    edited February 2017

Mara - you are really cranking it up a notch. Nice job.

There are all kinds of 5, 10, 15 minute workouts - body weight, yoga - on the web and for those of you with Fitbits, there are short videos you can access through the app. It's another great trick to get moving.

I woke up this morning, briefly, and promptly went back to sleep. The higher dose of metformin had me wired up. I was exhausted but could not sleep fully. I've been off it since noon yesterday, and I pretty much slept all day. Deep, relaxing naps. Will stay off it for a few days to get grounded and then consider a lower dose. Thanks for the research on Metformin, Heidi. A reminder that the mildest drugs have side effects.

Slept most of the day. Why move today when I can move tomorrow was my motto ... but I will move tomorrow.

>Z<

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    edited February 2017

not to be out done I looked up the Leslie Sansone videos this morning and did a 3 mile one that involved Thera bands. I really enjoyed it, reminded me of the aerobics classes I used to do in the 90s. Off paddle boarding this afternoon if the wind drops.

Keep up the good work ever

• mara51506
    edited February 2017

Wow, that's amazing Shazza. I did 2 of t he 5 min and 1 mile of leslie sansone myself. I like that I can feel it in my hip area. Makes me feel like I have done more. Of course, these are broken up for me at different times since I have not graduated to a longer mile yet.

I also did 2 x 20 minute Air climber workouts. Those are easy and I like those. Feeling decently lately and like the exercise.

Keep it up everyone.

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2017

If there is a person who deserves a rest day dear Z it is you! And glad you got some deep, lovely sleep in there.

Everyone is doing so well! It's very motivating. I had a head cold this last week and struggled through exercise but felt good this morning and did a 10.5km run! Then push-ups and a little bit of planking.

thanks everyone for keeping us all on our toes xx

• Apg
    edited February 2017

That's great MSL. Z I'm glad you got rest, you amaze me with your activity so I'm sure it was much needed!

Paddle boarding sounds so fun!!! Enjoy!

I did Zumba this morning and a yoga class. I was beat after and I seriously haven't left the couch the rest of the day. I have napped on and off all day. Oh well, I will make up for it tomorrow.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017

Apg - One of the many stage V fitness compromises is the need for a lot of rest. Before I was on all these drugs I used to get up at 5, workout from 5:30 to 7:00 and then start my long day. Now I get out of bed barely in time to get the kids to school and roll into the gym around 9 or 10, workout and then rest for a couple of hours before I attempt anything productive. A Zumba class and a Yoga class would certainly land me on the couch for a while these days. Just a long way of saying that you rock, in my book.

I got a 4 mile jog in today. Feet and calves hurt like crazy in the beginning. I push through it. It gets more tolerable after a mile or two. This is a common side effect of letrozol. I suppose I just have to deal wit. I am tired of it but also grateful to be able to run. It's a real mental boost to get 45 minutes of cardio, and good for me. How do you like them apples ... oh, American Cancer Society with your ridiculous guidelines.

I also did my 12 yoga poses and my ab sequence and it was a good day as far as exercise.

Keep moving ladies.

Anyone out there lurking? Drop us a note to let us know what you are doing or hope to do fitness wise.

>Z<

• catsteme
    catsteme Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2017

I've not been on here for a while so I thought I'd drop in today to say hello. We've had some great weather (for a change) so I've really enjoyed some long walks on our coastal paths here in northern Scotland. I can thank Z for this - she set up a Weekend Warrior challenge on the FitBit group! A friend of mine recommended a Rich Roll Podcast that I've been listening to while walking - it's an interview he did with David Goggins. Highly recommended if you're looking for inspiration and encouragement- http://www.richroll.com/podcast/david-goggins/. It even got me jogging (but not for long!)

Well done to everyone here who is pushing through this disease and continuing to focus on health and exercise. We get days when we feel great and others when we feel completely awful. I'm going through a good patch right now but I'm so aware that this can change at any time. Similarly, for anyone that is going through a bad patch, please remember that the opposite is true - stick with it - a better day is just around the corner.

All the best everyone

• GracieM2007
    GracieM2007 Member Posts: 1,255
    edited February 2017

I can't find the yoga poses...does somebody have a link

• zarovka
    edited February 2017

Heidi posted this sequence early on this year. It takes as little as 12 minutes if you move through the poses quickly. I generally add a few poses and some ab work and/or resistance training and end up with a 30-60 minute workout. I've been trying to do at least the minimum 12 minute sequence 5 times a week. I've succeeded for the last two weeks and really enjoy it. It is a good core yoga practice and helps a lot with both the stiffness and mental alertness.

That said, there have been many good suggestions for little workout routines and training assists. The best routine is the routine that you actually do. I like this one, but it's all about finding a routine that fits you.

Keep moving ladies. Great work, great attitude. This is not easy. Our fitbit community is growing. Get yourself a fitbit and PM me your personal email if you want to join.

Source: Columbia University physiatrist Dr. Loren M. Fishman

This yoga regimen has been shown to improve bone density in the spine, hips, and femur, as well as improve bone quality

• GracieM2007
    edited February 2017

Thanks so much Z

• margaritams
    margaritams Member Posts: 183
    edited February 2017

well, I got out in the snow this weekend. Yesterday I went snow shoeing in the forest - it was beautiful and sunny. Followed that up with a hike up a huge stairway to a "sky walk" trail in the state park - it was bitter cold- and then collapsed in front of the tv for the evening. I've done the stairway many times and it never ceases to amaze me how it can seem effortless on some days and nearly impossible other days. Yesterday it was nearly impossible! Today, I forced myself out on to my cross-country skis even though I still felt pretty tired and a little sore from yesterday. I plowed through it but did not feel as invigorated by the movement or the scenery as yesterday - it was also very cloudy so maybe that contributed. Have again spent a long time on the couch recovering. Darn this fatigue! Keep on keeping on, everyone!

• Apg
    edited February 2017

Thanks for posting the sequence again z! Those are the poses I try and do several times a week on my own. I am pretty sore today from yoga yesterday. That chair pose and a few others she had us do really made my butt and legs sore lol! It is good though. I feel like I accomplished something when I can feel the effects the next day!!! Great job to everyone working so hard this past week. Tomorrow is tx day for me so I won't be active for a couple days. I do try and take a walk on my long tx day. Tomorrow is day 1 of cycle 2 so for the trial I have multiple blood draws and ekg. Have a great week everyone

• GracieM2007
    edited February 2017

I'm noticing that I am losing muscle tone and a lot of strength. Things I had no trouble with six months ago are super hard...leg lifts!!! Almost impossible to get in more than five or six at a time when I used to (six months ago) do 20 or 30. Does that make sense

• zarovka
    edited February 2017

Gracie - Yup. I work at least as hard at fitness as i used to. I lift 60% to 80% of what I was able to do before hormone suppression. I am no expert but I think it is mostly the hormone suppression that inhibits muscle development. I won't be winning the local Firecracker run anymore but if it means I feel better and I can live a bit longer, consider me motivated.

It does take a different mindset.

>Z<

• heidihill
    edited February 2017

GracieM, are you also losing weight? How's your appetite? Maybe best to discuss this with your doctor.  Apg, good luck tomorrow. Margarita, as any athlete will tell you, recovery is very important. That's how muscles get stronger. I used to tell myself I was a professional athlete, because I needed to recover properly, like I'm getting paid for it, never mind about anything else.

Z, I would guess (wildly) it's the Ibrance in many cases hindering muscle development. I think aromatase inhibition could actually increase testosterone and help muscle building. I found this to be true for me with Femara. I got bulkier than I ever was, my shoulders broader. My voice got deeper, too, among other virilizing effects. Although I can't say with certainty as my testosterone levels were never measured.

I will try to do a GRIT class which they've moved to the weight room while the studio is being fixed. I can just imagine though there'll be a ton of people. Ugh. 

• zarovka
    edited February 2017

Heidi - For some reason, muscle weakness is listed as a common side effect of letrozol. It would make sense that estrogen deprivation would increase the influence of testosterone and allow me to build muscle, but it seems I can't win. I initially lost a lot of muscle mass on this protocol. It is coming back slowly with weight training. I surprised myself yesterday doing a 200lb leg press. My personal best is somewhere in the low 200's so we're getting somewhere.

The bottom line is that all manner of weirdness can happen on these protocols. Who knows what I will be able to leg press tomorrow. Erratic is how I would describe my fitness level on these protocols.

I am sorry that your gym routine has gotten chaotic. With all the ups and down in my physical health I like consistency in my gym environment for sure. I get annoyed when they even move stuff around. But don't let anything get in your way ... keep moving.

We closed our Stage V Weekend Warrior Fitbit Step Competition yesterday. Everyone has different user names in the fitbit community. I'll have to map the two sets of user names so I know who is who. All I can conclusively report here is that I got killed. I ran both Saturday and Sunday. About 3-4 miles each day. Ended up 6th or 7th out of 9 participants.

So we're definitely moving. We've had a great start to 2017. Let's see what we can get done in February.

What are your fitness plans for this week?

>Z<

• GracieM2007
    edited February 2017

Ok, on the fitbit :) I'm computer illiterate, so please forgive me. Am I supposed to get some kind of notification on my actual fitbit, or only by email? I can see the group now and my steps are being tracked, so that's a good thing.

I'm eating probably better than I have most of my life, and my appetite is ok...not great, but ok. The problem with my appetite is I can't have most of what I crave due to so many food allergies, so I get bored with food... But I'm eating at least twice a day, and trying to snack on good stuff like fruit and nuts and seeds. Not saying I don't cheat, Lord knows I do, but am really working at it. Doc will check my thyroid next time I have blood work up due to being cold so much all of the time. If that comes back ok, I've just got to blame it on the femera.

I will probably never be as fit as most of you, but am really trying to make a difference in fighting this cancer. Have a great day!

• mara51506
    edited February 2017

Gracie, I am glad you are well enough to move. You will be surprised when one day you realize how strong you've become. Considering the drugs and disease we have, getting out of bed each day is amazing. Exercise is just the bonus, providing energy and an appetite to keep us fueled. Good job!