Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Options

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,126
    edited January 2017
    Options

Good job BB, sorry to hear you've had to switch treatment but glad to hear you are still able to keep moving. That always helps. I did 20 mins stationary bike myself. Helped me feel more awake and was very enjoyable.

Good job everyone else. MSL, you are better than I. When it's hot and humid, I won't do anything outside. Luckily I can stay inside to keep moving.

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2017
    Options

Way to go ladies. Huge snow storm. Skied, got car out of snow bank, skied some more, got car out of snow bank again. Walked around in ski boots a lot. Reviewed the spelling of 400 words of Greek origin. No goddess pose tonight, no sir.

Tired but for good reason,

>Z<

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2017
    Options

Funny how as most of you are battling the snow and cold (and getting some great exercise in!) others of us are battling heat and humidity (and also getting some great exercise in!)

Well done everyone, I've had an 8km run this morn. Lots of swimming with the kids and walking too. Had the blues today which the run didn't blast away so I'm eyeing a big glass of wine later on.

And we are all cheering on little Z in the spelling bee!

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

OMG. I think I am going to go batty. Thank god the Spelling Bee is tomorrow.

>Z<

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited January 2017
    Options

BB, all that moving is a great distraction. Hope the new treatment kicks cancer butt. 

Fingers crossed for Little Z! Fortunately we never had to go through that. German is spelled like it sounds. But I've had to review lots of French and English words for regular school, so they make up for it.

It's cold out and I have to try to get some exercise indoors. Maybe I'll practice tango since my SIL cancelled our class today. It'll be a chance to break in my new tango shoes. Last night was salsa night and the teacher was trying to tempt our class to go to a club on Friday. I love dancing but I don't like the decibel levels and blinding lights of clubs. No, not for me, unless I wear ear plugs and sunglasses.

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited January 2017
    Options

hello Ladies

So I joined a walkabout group need to still get me a pedometer it's put on by the local university so I need to get organized and figure out all this related technologies which I suck at lol. Also had our first meeting for the crew for this seasons dragon boat team. I do secretly worry that I will break something doing this sport but not enough that it will stoop me😊. So now I need to up my game at the gym 2017 here we go

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    edited January 2017
    Options

First Pilates class of the year yesterday I'm glad to get back in to it after a month off.

I'll be off grid for a week as tomorrow morning I'm going to Melbourne Australia with 4 friends. It's significantly hotter than here in New Zealand so I'm not sure how I'm going to cope.

Good luck to little Z in the spelling Bee. Hope everyone has a great week.

Shazza

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited January 2017
    Options

Good luck on the spelling bee, little Z!

It does seem we all are finding extremes of either cold or heat! Yay for us to work through it!

Wendy, I dream of boating whilst all the water is frozen around here. Dragon boating sounds fun, but hard too!

Got a 45 minute walk in tonight on very icy sidewalks. Nearly bit the dust twice tonight but my yoga moves helped me twist to safety and stay upright!

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thank you all. Your finger crossing and good wishes, along with a lot of long car rides grinding through lists of words, paid off.

Little Z got third place. She's in 5th grade and took out quite a few 6th and 7th graders to get her spot on the podium. She got a trophy but did not advance (praise G@d) to the state-wide spelling bee. Little Z went down on Jesuit and rotisserie but very happy. She is sleeping with trophy.

I am quite burnt out on spelling for a while. If it made some kind of sense I would find it more interesting ... but when you spend a week plowing through 2000 words it sinks in that it is pretty random how things are spelled.

Somewhere between blood tests, shopping, cooking, doctor visit, and little Z's orchestra practice, clarinet lesson, spelling prep and 3 hour spelling bee, I got a run in and 30 minutes working the The Yoga Sequence and ab work. I am doing pretty well. Feeling optimistic that I have my supplement and drug routine more optimally tweaked. Energy is there.

Tomorrow it is braces for little Z number 2. With kids there is always a reason to get out of bed and I am very grateful for that.

You can't keep moving if you don't get out of bed ....

Wendy - I am waiting in awe to see what happens when you up your game. Thanks for joining us. You are an inspiration.

Thanks for the updates everyone. Have a great trip Shazza ... Heat is very relaxing but may slow you down a bit.

>Z<

• mara51506
    edited January 2017
    Options

Great job little Z!

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited January 2017
    Options

Good parenting Z! Time to do crosswords now that you have all those words :)

Half mile swim this morning. Had to take two days off to recover from weightlifting earlier this week. Is 30 gob squats a bad idea. Yep

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kathryn - what's a gob squat? Whatever it is, the pain is the payoff. You'll feel very strong soon.

Looking at my fitbit stats, I see I got my cardio workout trying to get out the door to the orthodontist appointment. I believe it as we have two flights of stairs and I kept forgetting things while getting myself and my daughters out the door.

Beyond that, I skied for 90 minutes in our awesome snow, but won't get much else done today. Very tired. Feels good ... I am going to follow my kitties' example and chill this evening.

Keep moving ladies... how are thing going?

>Z<

• iwrite
    edited January 2017
    Options

They need to add heardig children as an activIty on Fitbit! Nice going Z!

Gob squats are squats done while holding a weighted kettle bell. So fun:

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ah. I have another name for those. Can't use it here ... so gob squats. excellent.

>Z<

• mara51506
    edited January 2017
    Options

I have done a lot of stepper and arm weight work today. I used both a resistance band and free weights on my arms. I rotate between two to 4 pounds each arm. Just basics like triceps, rowing, bicep curls. Nothing fancy but helps.

I am feeling pretty good and will hold on to this as long as possible. I know things could be so different. I think of my poor SIL's best friend. This poor woman is battling a rare form of leukemia, just got out of hospital after 35 days of chemo. She had chemo daily with about 5 different drugs and lumbar punctures. She was home all of 3 days and just got the news since she did not respond, she must do it all again. She is back in hospital for another 35 days. I have so much sympathy for her. I don't know her but it makes me sad for her yet feel blessed because at this stage, I am lucky to be stable. I plan to hold on to stability and keep pushing as long as possible.

I will keep moving, you all are amazing as well.

• mediclisa
    mediclisa Member Posts: 100
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks for the invite Z from the Ibrance thread! Finally, side effects for Xeloda are almost 90% gone. Started working out on Tuesday with cardio and weights. Might have overdone it on the weights as Wednesday had to increase pain pills. Today, however felt great and went to the gym. Felt good. Can't wait to start swimming again. Next couple of weeks the outside temps will be in the high 30's. Good walking weather!

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi there Lisa! Welcome. Glad we have someone deep into weight training. A lot of yogis and hikers and runners on this thread. Time to pump some iron. We do have a couple people on the thread who, I have noted, measure their swimming workouts in miles (?!?!) So lookout for that ...

Mara - We are all blessed to be moving and living (pretty) well, indeed. I sense you improving every week. It's inspiring to watch you get better, little by little. This week, however, seems like a big jump. Resistance bands are awesome. Hard to hurt yourself, but quite challenging.

>Z<

• mediclisa
    mediclisa Member Posts: 100
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks Z. Never have been into running, but a friend of mine is encouraging me to start. Shaking out my yoga mat! Now, I need to find my charger for my Fitbit

• heidihill
    edited January 2017
    Options

welcome, lisa!

Mara, we may have been doing the arm weight work at the same time. Yes, sounds crazy, but breast cancer may be a walk in the park compared to other cancers.

Also did The Yoga Routine yesterday. DG, I remembered what you said about the hard stuff being more important to do.

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2017
    Options

So lovely to hear of Little Z's big success (and the gorgeous image of her sleeping with the trophy). Well done Big Z for being a super great Mom.

Fantastic to read all these inspirational posts from everyone, and the shared learning that's going on. Welcome Lisa, and Mara you are going from strength to strength (excuse the weight training pun!).

I'm determined to start push-ups today, so I'll keep you posted. Start small and build I'm figuring....

Keep punching on ladies xx

• dghoff
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yay for little Z on her spelling success!

Welcome Mediclisa! Glad to have you aboard!

Mara - I'm going to have to try resistance bands. That's a good idea. I use hand weights and kettle bells (gonna try those gob squats lwrite mentioned), but I like the idea of resistance bands. It really sounds like your strength is returning.

So, I teach a yoga class on Thursday nights and I usually do a little treadmill work at the gym before the class. Yesterday I did about 25 minutes running on the treadmill and then thought, hey, I'm going to mix it up a bit and use the elliptical for the last 10 minutes. I only did 5! It turns out that things you don't usually do are way harder than you think! It was a good reminder that we have to keep mixing it up and not always do the same thing in order to have the best fitness.

Did a 35 minute walk tonight and now I'm going to do a few push-ups and then off to bed. I have to get up early tomorrow. My son is headed off to high school next year and we are looking at multiple schools. He has a placement test tomorrow for one of them, so we have to be there bright and early!

-D

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Four 10 year olds downstairs watching Jaws.

15,000 steps.

Good night everyone.

>Z<

• heidihill
    edited January 2017
    Options

Woohoo, 15,000!! From spelling bee to step success.

Good luck to your son, DG. And calming vibes to you in case you need them. These things are nerve-wracking.

Did a 4K run although had a shaky start with a limping run until the pain got ironed out of the side of my knee (after 10 minutes). Then some weight training topped off with Yoga a la Fishman.  I will try the gob squats tomorrow. I've had enough of pushups today, watching a guy do a gazillion of them in the midst of my poses.

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2017
    Options

Today my husband and kids and I are going to the place we camp at throughout the summer and taking our dog for a hike! It is a very beautiful day here, sunny and 60 degrees! We are going to take full advantage of the unseasonably warm weather! Have a great day everyone!!!

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Heidi - It's exhausting to watch people do pushups, indeed. But your workout was quite impressive.

DG - Good luck with your son's tests. I have an 8th grader too. Feels a little too young to be dealing with that particular pressure.

Sledding this morning. Will be heading out in a minute to build jumps out of snow in our back yard. A steep back yard which is generally useless, except for sledding. Moving snow and climbing up snowy hills is good exercise. I like the fitbit because you can see from the heart rate tracking what you are getting out of shoveling snow and climbing around snow banks in the back yard.

>Z<

• iwrite
    edited January 2017
    Options

Happy Saturday!

Scrubbed kitchen cabinets and vacuumed although these don't appear on Fitbit. It was gorgeous outside so I walked a mile on our local trail.

Then, because the sun was so pretty, I booked a 12 day scuba trip to Mexico for March....by myself. 12 days to pretend it is just arthritis :) and no sad looks from anyone.Ahhh

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Kathryn - Way to go!

>Z<

• dghoff
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yay Kathryn for booking a trip to scuba dive! I've never dived, but will be going to Cozumel and plan to snorkel. Wondering if it is worth it to take the extra time to get dive certified or if I should just stick to snorkeling. I tried the gob squats tonight. I only did 15. I'm easing in to it! What size kettle bell do you usually use for that?

Thanks for the positive test vibes everybody! Everything went OK for my son. It turns out they won't be using it for admission decision purposes, which made him feel a lot better about it. It was probably good practice for the college entrance tests he will have to start taking in a few years so it was a pretty good experience overall.

Z - Which Fitbit do you have? I only have an Alta, but I'm starting to see the limitations of not having the heart rate and step climbing features. I'm not sure if I should just get an additional heart rate monitor or try to get a whole new Fitbit.

apg - Sunny and 60 hiking sounds great! Hope you had a great day!

• zarovka
    edited January 2017
    Options

Our family has 2 Charge 2's, a Blaze and a Surge. I list them in order of increasing features, and decreasing benefit, IMO. The Surge has onboard GPS which makes it heavy and burn a lot of battery power. The GPS is pretty useless unless you are hell bent to get the correct mileage for a particular route you just ran or hiked. Our Surge has been retired and mostly sits on the bureau as a backup. The Blaze is similarly big without much advantage, IMO but DD2 likes the programable watch face.

Having used a bunch of them, the Charge 2 is a good balance between features and size/battery life. It tracks your heart rate well so that heavy duty housekeeping will give you credit for exercise, as it should. Having heart rate AND steps makes the device much more useful and interesting as an exercise tracker. If you want to track a run by gps, bring along your smart phone and the fitbit app on the phone will give you a distance for your route and communicate it to your dashboard.

6000 sledding steps today. That is a hard way to get steps ...230 minutes in the fat burn zone and 30 minutes of cardio as measured by heart rate.

>Z<

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2017
    Options

Z, you are a beast! Wow. I went for an hour walk/hike but I was worn out after. I had taken the ibrance/femara only about an hour and a half prior to this. I find that when I take my meds I'm tired right after but come out of it in a few hours. Also I noticed this evening a small rash on my lower back. Not sure if this is from the trial or the standard meds?!?