Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• salasila
    salasila Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2017
    Options

Mucki1991 : i had the BMX and immediate recon (DIEP flap) and stayed at the hospital for 4 days. I guess could've been discharged earlier since i had no issues or pain, but i think its the protocol with my PS

• salasila
    salasila Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2017
    Options

Mucki1991 : i had the BMX and immediate recon (DIEP flap) and stayed at the hospital for 4 days. I guess could've been discharged earlier since i had no issues or pain, but i think its the protocol with my PS

• cbsdetour
    cbsdetour Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2017
    Options

Just wanted all you ladies to know I am thing of each and everyone of you and sending out prayers.

For everyone expecting results this week, I pray you all get the results you have been hoping for, but if not, I know you will handle the next challenge with determination and grace..

For those having surgery this week I pray for minimal pain, a speedy recovery and for peace to wash over you that you are now on the other side of surgery and the cancer is out and you are officially in remission.

For those old timers that are now a few weeks out...Thank you for your invaluable information on what to expect. I pray you are recovering beautifully.

And lastly for those that still have to wait another week or two. I know it is the hardest on you. I pray the worrying and waiting lessons today.

Godspeed ladies. Make it a great day! (Hugs)

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    edited June 2017
    Options

Got my final path report... as suspected, Stage IIIA. 5 lymphnodes with macro mets and 2 with micro, 6cm (60mm) tumor, clear margins.

Knowing is good. Doesn't change the treatment path that I assumed when they took lymphnodes... treated like a large Stage II, which helps mentally :

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Options

Leatherette - glad you are doing well and the scar looks good -that's wonderful.

For all the runners and walkers (I'm more of a cyclist - but get the activity thing) I hope you are all back out there before you know it. Physical activity is so amazing for mental health and just for feeling like yourself and feeling free again.

Thanks to everyone who is praying - that is more helpful than you can imagine. It's such a good feeling to know we are lifting each other up.

Hugs!

• cbsdetour
    edited June 2017
    Options

JenRuns: I am so sorry to hear your news today... Now you know what you are up against and I know you are going to kick cancers A@%$.! Cancer snuck in a sucker punch but I know you won't let it happen again. Stay strong and know we are here for you.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited June 2017
    Options

Sorry JenRuns. I know we always pray for miracles even when we fully expect differently. Did all the lymph nodes light up on your MRI? Or did your dr just expect this based on what he saw during surgery? Clear margins is great! You got the big tumor out and several bad lymph nodes Chemo and radiation can track down and kill anything small that remains. Stay strong 💪🏽

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

Many hugs Jenruns. I received a sucker punch today too...did not get clean margins so go back in for re-excission on Friday and 1 positive lymph node and size of 1 tumor decreased and size of 1 increased so I "upgraded" to a 2B and chemo and rads are both on table. My appt with MO needs to be rescheduled now as that was originally scheduled for Friday as well. And after spending a good 20 min crying on the exam table, my breast surgeons nurse will be scheduling me an appt with the psychologist for this week too. Good times. Jenruns and VL22, I feel like going for a run a and not stopping. Who wants to join me?

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Sad to hear your news too, Runnermum. This roller coaster sucks. Good news one day, not somuch the next. I know that we all have the inner strength to get through all the treatments that will help fight this. Our goal has not changed. Only the path to get to it.

If you girls are going out for a long run please stretch and hydrate first😉. I ran in college but just coach now. (I felt obligated to impart my coaches comments) lol

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

ugh on all fronts .... sorry about your news too, Runnermom. No runs for me. I'm taking a nap... Maybe a walk this afternoon. I can't imagine running with the way these stupid expanders feel. I know I'll get accustomed to it, but until then, I'm feeling whiny ;)

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2017
    Options

JenRuns and RunnerMum - My heart goes out to you so much. Just remember awesome > cancer. And you both are overflowing with awesomeness.

• cbsdetour
    edited June 2017
    Options

Runnermum: Cry kick and scream to your hearts content. It just isn't fair.So sorry you have to go thru this.

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited June 2017
    Options

Runnermum - I am so upset and angry for you! I understand the power of positivity and fighting, but man I hate this disease and the havoc it creates in so many great lives. The irony for us runners is that running is our therapy and sanity and safe place and we can't even do that!

I hope that once you have your treatment plan in place you'll be able to see the finish line and focus. I know you'll work through this sucker punch and start swinging. Wishing you all the best!

• IGL
    IGL Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017
    Options

Runnermum I am so sorry to hear that they did not get clear margins. I remember the shock I felt when I received that news. I am also sorry to hear about the positive lymph node. I'm glad that you have an appt with a psychologist. I saw a counselor when I was recovering and it was very helpful. You need to be able to rage if you want to with someone trained to handle it and guide you through it. In an earlier post I said my biggest piece of advice was to get to physical therapy as soon as possible; I think speaking with a mental health professional is also very important. I am praying for you.

JenRuns I am sorry for your news too....cancer sucks! I am praying for you.

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited June 2017
    Options

hi everyone. I'm 11 days post surgery and doing well. I only have one drain left. Out of 5 so that's good. Feeling a lot of tightness and uncomfortable due to The expanders. Hang in there everyone. It does get better

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Good to hear Hopfull2! Hope that last drain comes out soon. I have one more day of "freedom" tomorrow before surgery and being tied down to drains. I'm supposed to have direct to implant pre pectoral surgery - so no expanders. That's the plan but if he has issues he will go with expanders as our default. Guess I'll be surprised when I wake up. Hope I'm as strong as the rest of you June ladies.

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

thinking of you, legomaster, and hoping for those implants...

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm holding jenruns and runnermom in my heart. I'm sorry you have to go through this but I know you will beat this down. We are with you

Pathology for me tomorrow. Feeling hopeful. I hope I get rid of the drain. It hurts.

Thanks toall of you for being there.

• Rlsteadman
    Rlsteadman Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2017
    Options

Having radioactive tracer injections tomorrow since my surgery starts at 7:30 am Thursday. Have to be at hospital at 5:00 am. Nervous but ready to get through the surgery and reconstruction. Legomaster2 I am also not looking forward to the drains. I think I will have 3. I hope I'm a strong warrior too

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

risteadman sending you hugs and best wishes for a very successful surgery

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

legomaster hinking of you and sending hugs. Prayers that all goes well.

• cbsdetour
    edited June 2017
    Options

Susan: How did your appointment go today? Drains out and good report?

Myn, Rlsteadman and Legomaster Prayers for you on tomorrow that your surgery goes well. Looks like I will be up next after you 3. Getting nervous though I am not sure why. Everyone here seems to pull through with flying colors don't know why I would be any different. Keep me in your prayers please.

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

Dear Ones I had a great appointment. My two sentinel nodes were clear and she removed the drain. She removed the tegoderm also so now I can really see the scar. It is smooth and flat and about twelve inches long. No ruffles, no extra skin and no dog ears. See my surgeon again in three weeks. I am very happy. Thank you God. Thank all of you for your support.

I now have a referral for physical therapy. I also have slight cording under my arm so I will go to the lymphedema therapist to get that broken up. My oncology appointment is next week. I understand he will do an oncotype to determine if I should take chemo. Otherwise I'll be doing the Aromatase Inhibitors. They used to sat 5 years but now they say ten for those drugs.

• JenRuns
    edited June 2017
    Options

Great news, SusanGA! And sending healing thoughts for those of you having surgery tomorrow..

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited June 2017
    Options

Susan - so glad all went well for you!

• legomaster225
    edited June 2017
    Options

Great news on the nodes Susan! Hopefully the other and lymphedepma therapist will get you back to your old self againsoon.

• IGL
    IGL Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2017
    Options

Awesome news SusanGA!!

• susanga
    edited June 2017
    Options

Prayers and hugs for Munich, Risteadman and Legomaster. Really the worst is the waiting. The surgery was manageable. I pray for a good experience for all of you.

Thank you again ladies for your support. How great is this group?!

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you all so much for the kind words, support and prayers. It means so much.

Good luck, positive thoughts, and prayers to Munich, rlsteadman and legomaster. We r thinking.of you!

Susan...Wonderful news!!

I got a 3 mile walk in today and spent some time with my sister in laws today. Staying busy helps and besides a little numbness in armpit and triceps area, I feel really good. My surgeon said the re-excision on Friday will be a shorter day. I am ready for it to be over.

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017
    Options

continued prayers for each of you. My surgery was June 14 and while I had one drain removed on Monday, I'm stuck with the second one until next Monday. We got the path report yesterday and it was really good. The IDC tumor was smaller than originally thought, only .9 cm, and the mass behind it was actually DCIS. She removed 5 nodes but all were clear, again excellent news, however, under arm is very sore and I have some numbness. Also, my skin isn't healing exactly right at the mastectomy scar, so we will give it a couple of weeks and they may need to go back in and clean it up. This along with being very thin skinned, will prolong the expansion process but I can live with that. Patience!!

You all continue to amaze me with your strength. It's important for all of us to stay educated on each process along the way to be able to make decisions we believe is best for our situation. Stay positive my friends!