Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• Lsunshine
    Lsunshine Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2017
    Options

cyclegal my bs feels the same way she is going to hold off removing any lymph nods unless she has a concern once she is in there. I also love to work out lift weights and boxing. My goal is to try and go everyday until my surgery. We are heading to lake Powell for a week on Monday. Then once we come back I will get back on schedule for the gym before my surgery on august 28

• MommyErin
    MommyErin Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2017
    Options

Welcome HannahRuth,

I'm sorry you're in this situation but glad you found us. Congrats on your son heading off to college! Exciting times! I'll be traveling 4 hours away 2.5 weeks after my BMX for some followup appointments at MD Anderson. You may be limited in how much you can help with the actual move, but I think going is doable. I'm hoping/planning to have the drains out after a week, but I'm also going flat (no reconstruction), so not sure if that makes a difference. I would plan on making the trip knowing you may need to change plans if an issue comes up. Good luck on Tuesday! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Xo,

Erin

• AliceAgnes
    AliceAgnes Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi, all. After reading everyone else's posts, just thought I'd chime in with my situation. I was first diagnosed in March, when I was promptly put on chemo. I had my 6th and final round of TCHP three weeks ago, but was left pretty depleted--with anemia and such. In the meantime, eating right has been a problem because everything tastes bitter and anything with much fiber in it goes straight through me. Chronic fatigue and shortness of breath have also been problems.Docs say the shortness of breath is from low hemoglobin levels in my blood.

Bottom line: my onc wants me to have time to regain my strength and rebuild my blood before even thinking about surgery. I won't see a surgeon to discuss possible surgery dates until August 22. When I first spoke with her in March, she recommended a unilateral mastectomy because my cancer is multicentric. During surgery she will also remove one cancerous axillary node, but is hopeful that no other nodes will need to be removed. However, one thing I've learned from visiting these message boards is that surgery sometimes reveals "surprises," so I am mentally preparing myself for the possibility of new information resulting from the surgery. One peculiarity that the docs noticed early on was that ONLY mammograms and biopsies showed I had any cancer at all--palpitation revealed nothing.

Best wishes to all those with surgery dates coming up soon! I will be thinking of you as the first week of August unfolds. Please share your experiences and advice with the rest of us who have longer to wait, and thanks in advance for doing so.

• Brightness456
    Brightness456 Member Posts: 174
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi everyone. I'm scheduled for a lumpectomy and SNB August 10. May I join in?

I'm very afraid about this whole process, but since the shock has worn off it's more of a surreal thing. I can't accept that this is somehow happening to me. Does that make sense? Also, my family has made it pretty clear that they want me to be positive, positive, positive, so I can't really talk about the scary things going through my mind other than with friends (we get together when we can) or my counselor once every few weeks. Am I the only one that thinks keeping the scary thoughts locked inside is worse for you than letting them out? Ugh. I've been journaling when I have time so I can write down all the negative stuff stuck in my head.

I'm sorry we all ended up here, but so thankful for this community

• Sweet_Pea
    Sweet_Pea Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi everyone,

First, best wishes to everyone with surgery tomorrow! We'll all be here to support each other.

I'm getting scheduled as we speak for surgery in August but my date isn't even finalized...my doctor wants it to be NEXT WEEK so I have all my pre-op on Thursday! Pretty insane. I feel like I've been waiting and waiting for it to happen and now it's suddenly upon me.

"It" will be a unilateral mastectomy with a sentinel node removal. So I have some getting ready to do. I really need to take another look at that great list of hospital stuff (pre-during and post) that's posted on one of the fórums here and get the stuff together. Does anyone else feel overwhelmed at the thought? Also, I really don't want my 7 1/2 year-old to get scared when she sees me post surgery. I'm a divorced, single mom and will have help from my friends, but it's going to be, well, tough!

I'm so thankful for you all and this forum.

PS. Brightness: you can talk about the scary things here. :)

• MommyErin
    edited July 2017
    Options

AliceAgnes- Welcome. It's nice to see a familiar "face" from the March chemo group. I hope you recover quickly so you can move on to surgery.

Brightness456- Welcome. So sorry you're in this situation, but I'm glad you found your way here. While I'm generally a positive, cup is half full kind of person, I agree that you need to feel and talk about the scary thoughts as well where this nasty disease is concerned. You're in good company here. We'll listen, positive or scary. I'm 4.5 months out from my initial diagnosis, so the shock has worn off, but I still have moments where it all feels very surreal. Hang in there!

Sweet_Pea- Sorry you're here, but welcome. I'm definitely starting to feel overwhelmed as well. Surgery isn't until next week, but between various surgery pre-op appointments, MO, and my Herceptin and Perjeta infusion, I think I have 5 appointments this week alone. And I've had a lot of time to mentally prepare. I can only imagine how overwhelming it must be for you on such short notice! We're here for you!

• MommyErin
    edited July 2017
    Options

Candyapple17, MarilynIllinois, and HannahRuth- Good luck tomorrow ladies! I'll be thinking about you all and wishing you the best!

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hello August friends,

I wish you all successful surgeries and healing, calm recoveries. Thanks, MommyErin, For the words of support, I am scheduled for tomorrow.

I agree with many who have commented that waiting is most difficult. I cried all day the day before my first MRI biopsy, but felt more in control once there was a plan in place. For me, getting a 2nd opinion was liberating. I felt like I was taking an active part in this journey.

So far I feel pretty calm about my surgery. I've had a lot of time to think, read, talk to friends and acquaintances, etc. Thank you for all the helpful comments and threads on this website. What a helpful, encouraging community of people from all over facing breast cancer.

A friend recommended a guided imagery cd called:Meditations to Promote Successful Surgery. Have you heard of it? I ordered it and have already listened to it a couple of times. I don't know if I will be allowed to listen to it in the operating room, if not, I'll listen to itbefore and after surgery.

Take care, everyone, Marilyn

• Candyapple17
    Candyapple17 Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thank you for the well wishes. I had my final pre-op appointment today as well as the injection for the SNLB. I was so worried about the injection being painful based on what I read on here - they weren't able to use lidocaine because it could affect the dye's path - but thankfully it actually didn't hurt a bit. I have to be at the hospital at 5:45 so I'm off to try and get some sleep. I'll check in when I can and in the meantime, I'll be thinking of you girls and praying for good results for all of us!

• SLOlof
    SLOlof Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Options

Good luck ladies! I'm new here. Diagnosed end of June. Surgery (lumpectomy- and I'm still not sure that's the best option) scheduled for Tuesday the 8th, but I'm going for a second opinion Friday the 4th.  That's cutting it close but it was the first available appointment at Dana  Farber. I'm wishing you all the best of luck and am so glad this community exists. 

• Beachmama
    Beachmama Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2017
    Options

Good luck, ladies - I'll be praying for all of you having surgery this week! Can't wait to hear how great you are all doing! Only one more week for me.

• Carol246
    Carol246 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2017
    Options

Good afternoon ladies

The group is really helpful. Trust everyone will be protected and covered with prayers. I am scheduled for surgery August 10 and was not aware of any of the preparation and the fact that drains will be involved. How long are the drains expected to be in?

• Lsunshine
    Lsunshine Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2017
    Options

prayers and positive thoughts to all the ladies having surgeries this week. I am on my family vacation to try and occupy my thoughts for a moment. It is beautiful here but I still have moments of fear and anxiety about the surgery and recovery. My suits aud 28 BMX with TE and reconstruction. It sure helps to have a community that understands. Thank you

• AliceAgnes
    edited August 2017
    Options

According to reading I've done, the drains are in for around 2 weeks, give or take a week or so. It varies with individuals.

• AliceAgnes
    edited August 2017
    Options
  • MarilynIllinois
    edited August 2017
    Options

hello August friends, I'm back home after my mastectomy (right breast) and sentinel node biopsy without reconstruction. I had a one night hospital stay and one drain. My doctor said she was pretty confident the sentinel nodes would come back clear so she only removed two.

The surgery and hospital experience went very well for me. This was my first time having general anesthesia and I was anxious! Although I did experience a sore throat, I had no trouble with nausea. The doctors and nurses were so professional, compassionate and caring that I felt safe and not too nervous!

I also had a pec block. I experienced very little pain. In fact the most pain came when a phlebotomist came into my room at 2:45 a.m. To draw blood from my hand. Ouch! She couldn't draw from my left arm because I still had an i.v.

My discomfort is minimal at home. I find myself hunching up my shoulders and am trying to relax them.

My husband is helping with the drain emptying procedure.

In summary, it was easier than I had feared! I bought a seat belt soft cover to make the drive home smoother and 2 small heart shaped pillows to use in the hospital. Very helpful

Best wishes, everyone!

• ladynicole
    ladynicole Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2017
    Options

So glad to hear your SNB injection was painless Candyapple17 . I'm absolutely dreading this myself but hearing your recent experience I"m a little more settled. I go in Sunday afternoon for my injection then surgery first thing 7am Monday morning. I'm first cab off the rank due to a latex allergy. Yay me. Slightly nervous, more for the SNB shot than the actual surgery. Thinking of you all. xxx

• MommyErin
    edited August 2017
    Options

MarilynIllinois,thanks so much for the update! It's so good to hear that you're doing so well! That's so reassuring. I hope you're recovery continues to go smoothly and that you get your tubes out in no time. Big hug

• MommyErin
    edited August 2017
    Options

SLOlof- Welcome. I hope you get the answers you need tomorrow so you're comfortable with your surgery decision. I've gotten second opinions for every part of my treatment and have found it so helpful! While most of my doctors have been in agreement about my treatment plan, my radiation oncology consults we're night and day, so I'm so relieved that I got that second opinion so I can have treatment where they actually know how to treat my (complicated) case.

Carol246- Welcome. I hope you found the link AliceAgnes shared helpful. Im not looking forward to the drains either. I'm hoping to have them out after a week, but we'll see.

Well ladies, I've begun surgery prep. Yesterday I had a locator placed in the lymph node that was biopsied for my initial diagnosis so the surgeon knows which node to take during surgery. That was quite the ordeal. I've already had chemo, so my nodes are clear, and the clip my surgeon placed during the biopsy doesn't show up on ultrasound, so placing the locator became a 2 hour plus process with mammograms and a second clip being placed just to find the lymph node. My care team was so sweet and apologetic though. Im definitely looking forward to being on the other side of surgery. All the "what ifs" are starting to stress me out. Thinking of and praying for you all!

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi,

I'm new here. 51yrs young, separated but still living in same home for school reasons with our youngest son and other two go to college .

😉This has all been a quick whirlwind. July 5th mammo/Sono, biopsy on left following week. 2days later find benign changes and radial scar. Super stressed and freaking! Meet with bs surgeon. Set up to do excisional biopsy to remove it. Meanwhile 2days before going in for a savi scout(a metal implant so they can find where the biopsy is during surgery) find out medical team that works at hospital reviews my records and see a mass not noted on my mammo report that was seen on ultrasound. (By another imaging facility) Have another biopsy and find out IDC. By Sono 8mm. Finding out that as i was driving up headed up for a concert weekend with my soulmate(corny I know). Surgeon gave me options. I decided a BMX, my sis had bc at 48(9 years ago) and I can't go through 6 months of living to 6 months with MRI/Sono. Within 10min I had a call from a plastic surgeon. Set appt for This past Monday. Took a friend for notes. I'm still in shock. Been crying ever since.

I have 3kids 22,20 and 16. Can't imagine not being here for them. Feel like I was was just getting my life on track. Surreal. I'm a high strung person to begin with. I've lost about 9lbs since this all started. Get a call this morning from the bs surgeon, pathology on idc is er+,pr+,her neg. said will do Oncotype and SNB at surgery. Have surgery next Tues Aug 8th.(1 week to the day my youngest turns 16) So scared it's unbelievable. Scared of surgery, pathology on what else might be found, nodes, chemo, whatever may lie ahead. And of course of the unknown future.

You all seem terrific and I know this a club we didn't want to belong in. I'd have taken the 🍷 and 🍺 club myself. Still have to tell my kids. Until I knew exactly I didn't want to tell them. Worried most for my daughter who is 20. We are very close. I want them to stay focused when they go back up to school. After multiple knee surgeries this is the first semester she will finally be able to play soccer at college. I don't want to be the cause of any disruption for them and for them to give up anything. Her and one of my sons had to go to wakes this week for two women who died iof bc And I have to tell them about me ? THis going to be hard.

• AliceAgnes
    edited August 2017
    Options

Beach2beach -- At least there are two reassuring things about your diagnosis. A mass measured in mm and not cm is on the small side, and you are not Her2+, which is a more aggressive type of cancer and generally requires more aggressive treatment. Still, I see you have a lot to juggle with the big C's rude intrusion into your life, and I wish you the very best.

MommyErin -- So sorry you had to go through the extra procedure! I also have an axillary node that was biopsied and found to be positive for cancer. A clip was placed in the site at the time of the biopsy, but if the same thing happens to me, at least I'll be prepared after hearing your story. Thanks for sharing.

Carol246 -- When I read the article on drains that I posted, I realized that I have dealt with a Jackson-Pratt drain once before. In 2007 a motor scooter accident left me with a huge seroma on my lower left leg. Ultimately my doctor had to place the same type of drain on my leg. I had to stay off my feet for several days, keep my leg elevated, and continually empty the drain and measure and record the ounces that I had emptied into a small medicine cup. I no longer recall how or where I slept at night with the drain on my leg. so sleeping must not have been too difficult for me. Now I expect that drains located in the underarm and breast areas will be more uncomfortable, but I hope the process of emptying the drains a few times a day will remain relatively simple. If not, I'll just have to ask for help as MarilynIllinois did.

MarilynIllinois -- How wonderful that you got through surgery relatively unscathed! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Everyone -- I prayed for all of you this evening and will be keeping up the prayers for you throughout August.

• Dodes
    Dodes Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

hey everyone! i wanna play! (not really, but... ya know what i mean) :)

i'm scheduled for August 24 for a mastectomy on my left breast. (i think that's unilateral?). when i went in on the 2nd for my c.n. biopsy report, the surgeon was just talking so fast and yada, yada, and all of a sudden, i was scheduled for the 21 for a lumpectomy.

i'm not a great candidate for radiation (auto immune issues) and i'd rather take it all off (or out) at once, so i called the BS office today, and told them i wanted a mastectomy. my mass is only 1.8 cm, and it's right under the nipple, so in my way of thinking, if they take the whole breast, there should be no issues with margins, and we'll see what the nodes say.

it's so surreal, this whole thing...

i'll be thinking of you all

• Carol246
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi all

Thanks for the information. I will use it wisely I am glad everything turned out well @ maryillinois.

Blessings

• MarilynIllinois
    edited August 2017
    Options

Dear Friends,

Sending healing wishes to all who are scheduled for surgery this week. I hope your medical teams are caring and supportive and I wish you calm and peaceful recoveries. Marily

• Candyapple17
    Candyapple17 Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi all! I am alive and breathing but had a rough couple of days so I haven't checked in. Surgery on the 1st went well but I was in hospital for 3.5 days due to uncontrolled nausea...they tried everything but I couldn't keep stuff down. They took 2 nodes and initial look is good but I should have full pathology back early next week. Pain is there but one Vicodin every 4 hours is helping and I'm still taking nausea meds. Drains are draining and I'm glad to be on the other side of this. Have a lot of support so I'm feeling very blessed

• MarilynIllinois
    edited August 2017
    Options

Candyapple - sorry you had to go through all that nausea! Glad to hear you're home now! Best wishes for a smooth recovery

• Carol246
    edited August 2017
    Options

Candy Apple. God is good. I am prepping for August 10. This chat is useful. I just thought a surgery stich and go. I had never heard about drains. Thanks guys.

• Sweet_Pea
    Sweet_Pea Member Posts: 90
    edited August 2017
    Options

Carol246,

What kind of surgery are you having? It will help us figure out if you're going to have drains at all!

Good luck to all those having surgery this week!

@CandyApple, sorry you had all that nausea but glad you're finally home and best wishes for a speedy recovery now :)

@MarlynIllinois, good to hear your experience went smoothly. Hope every day is a small step forward. Keep us in the loop! ;)

My surgery was pushed back until the week of the 28th of August. MORE WAITING. Ugh. Well, what can I do? Just learn from you all!

Best wishes to all!

• Beachmama
    Beachmama Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi ladies

I'm just checking in. Tomorrow is the big day - I have a lot to do today so hopefully it will go quickly. I just wanna get this over with! I've been thinking of you and praying for you all.

• Dodes
    Dodes Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

good luck, beachmama! will be thinking about you.