Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• MrsWinnie
    MrsWinnie Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2017
    Options

hi folks. My sugery date is the 23rd. First thing in morning. Removing both breasts. My choice. Idc high grade in right. But last year the left breast mamo showed suspicion. Nothing showed up in last mamo. Wont know about further treatment untill after the pathology comes back. But they figure chemo at 8 weeks after. I am very happy with my choice. At this time I dont plan on any reconstruction. I am tall n thin with DD and they hurt all the time with my cycle. Happy they will be gone. Heck i was flat before kids... I didn't care then either. I pray i keep this attitude. Speedy healing to all the ladies thats already been through their surgery. Oh and im 43 years old. Hugs to all

• Beachmama
    Beachmama Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2017
    Options

Welcome, mrswinnie! I'm 43, too, and I'm three days out from BMX no recon - feeling better than I expected.

Beach2beach - I just told my bff that I'm going stir crazy, too! I'm never so inactive! I can't wait until these drains are out and I can do more.

Hope the rest of you are doing well and taking good care of yourselves!

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi MrsWinnie, I felt the same. I had nothing before kids, nothing after pregnancy so had no particular attachment. I did have recon, but as my ps said, the smallest implant they had which is bigger than I was lol. Have to laugh or I'd cry. Feel better than I thought.

You will keep that attitude

• Lsunshine
    Lsunshine Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2017
    Options

I am getting so nervous. Each and everyday it increases. Thoughts are racing am I making the right decision, what will I look like after, will recovery be difficult. I've read your posts and I know it's normal but I'm still so terrified. Aug 28 bmx and TE reconstruction. I'm 46 I'm a D in size, I have lcis, I can't mentally or physically do the wait watch take cancer drugs mamo/MRI every 6 months. I have 5 kids youngest is 6. I want to be here for a long time for my family who mean the world to me. I love boating and I am active I love boxing. Can I do all of those things after. Sometimes I wish I would wake up and it be a bad dream. Then I read these posts and see you guys battling more then myself. So many thoughts I know it's nerves but so many thoughts. I just wish I could punch cancer right in the chops and make it disappear for all of us

• Beachmama
    edited August 2017
    Options

aw lsunshine - the waiting is the worst! I had six weeks between my second diagnosis and BMX. I hope you will be able to find some calm and peace for yourself. I know how hard that actually is. You'll be on this side before you know it, concentrating on healing!

• Candyapple17
    Candyapple17 Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

So happy to hear of so many doing well. I too am doing great. Got 2 drains removed at the first post-op and hopefully will get the remaining 2 removed Monday as I'd love a shower. The pathology came back and lymph nodes were clean! Yay! They did find additional cancer in the right breast so oncologist feels we all made the right decision. Waiting for Oncotype score to determine Chemo but praying for a super low score! My only issue now is that I haven't had a bowel movement since 07/31 but I actually don't feel bad- but I am working on resolution! I have been so thankful for this community and all my friends and family - I feel like the most loved person in the world right now. I continue to pray for each and every one of you and am counting on all of us being around a really long time!

• Beachmama
    edited August 2017
    Options

Great news, candyapple! Prayers for a low score and your digestion back on track!

• MrsWinnie
    edited August 2017
    Options

to all the ladies having poop issues... Make yourself a fruit shake. My son has ibs and its the only thing that works for him. Blueberrys strawberrys OJ lots of yogurt and 2 tablespoons of chia (ground). Tasty too. Blend well. Drink fastish or stir often.

• beach2beach
    edited August 2017
    Options

Candy apple..the elusive bm lol. All the colace hasn't helped but I take mgnaseium citrate capsules and they tend to do the trick. Great news on the nodes! Here's to a low score for you and all of us !

Lsunshine- I went from a Dx on 7/27 to a bmx on 8/7. Quick. I felt the same, with my anxiety I couldnt do the 6mth bit. Why wouldn't you be able to do everything that you did before? You'll work your way back up to punching the bag at full force in no time I'm sure. As for boating, that sounds super relaxing, what better way to relax and recoup. You'll be around for those kiddos. You're taking control and moving forward the best way you can for you. I bet the hardest part will be not being able to squeeze those kids super tight for a while, but that will pass also.

I didn't know what to expect either , and still am in shock I think but I stand by my decision for doing the bmx because mentally I just couldn't do it the other way. I did an implant right at surgery, I was too small boobed with not enough tissue to stretch for anything bigger than what I had to begin with. I told the PS if at surgery time, you can't make anything work, just sew me up. I'm in it to survive, for my kids and me. I'd get over it.

You'll do great and be back in no time.

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hello Friends, continued good wishes for healing for those who have completed surgery and calm and strength to those who are waiting.

I had my post-op with my surgeon yesterday. My drain has to stay in another week. My husband and I messed up by not pressing the bulb flat to improve suction. Oops! I have developed a blister on my incision that needs more neosporin to heal.

My pathology results are in. I'm happy to share that my 3 sentinel nodes are clear! And the Pleomorphic LCIS is confined to the area already identified through the MRI biopsy. Best of all, nothing invasive was found in the rest of my breast!

Yes, I agree the after effects of anesthesia are challenging. I was given fentanyl for the pec block. Not bad, I just felt a little sleepy. Then I was given an IV dose of dilaudid after the surgery. Wow! That felt awfully good. I didn't like the norco. It made it hard to urinate. I have tramadol at home but am trying to use it only once a day. If I take it at night, it gives me nightmares!

Lsunshine, sorry you are worried about your surgery. I know, I was really anxious. I think it's great you enjoy boating and boxing. If I may suggest-- try to fill the waiting with as many activities and family time as possible. Maybe spend some time weight lifting so your muscles will be in top shape. I did a lot of stretches, especially with my arms overhead, to get ready. Good luck.

Candyapple, glad to hear you have 2 drains removed and clear lymph nodes.

After 10 days most of my discomfort is in my armpit and pec area. Sleeping on my back is not as hard as I thought it would be. I've taken some walks, had 2 visits from family and friends.

This Wednesday my husband drove me to my hair stylist for a shampoo and blow dry!What a treat!

Best Wishes!

• Dodes
    Dodes Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

i'm reading all of your posts, and they give me such encouragement as well. i'm having lefty removed on the 24th, so i'm getting nervous as well. next week i have appointments with the MO, the RO and the pre op with BS.

i picked up my post surgical camisole yesterday, and it all of a sudden hit me. this is really happening. the thing i'm freaking out about most is how i'm going to feel about not having "her" there anymore.....mayhap i'm focusing on the wrong thing....

how are you all doing with that side of it, wether you've had a lumpectomy or mastectomy? is it as emotionally difficult as i'm imagining it will be for me?

i'm so thrilled that y'all are doing so well!

• MrsWinnie
    edited August 2017
    Options

20 some years ago I watched my mother go through BC... She recieved mastectomy chemo etc.. I remember the most her emotions at the losing her boob the hair loss. And all the advice the family and friends gave her. She had very hard time with it. I believe fully her journey is making my story much easier. i do not have her fears. Nore her concern over losing the girls. But do find i have to keep reminding moms family n friends my story is not my moms. (BC took her in 2000.) My point i think is keep reading and talking and learning from others. But your story is your own. Be proud and you got this.

Ps sorry for poor english i am dyslexic and do my best😀.

• SmiLegirl
    SmiLegirl Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Options

hi everyone!

I will be having a unilateral mastectomy and lymph node removal on August 21st.

I was diagnosed on January 26th at the age of 40 with an aggressive triple negative cancer in the left breast and lymph nodes. I have already gone thru five months of chemo, 16 total treatments! And MRI last week showed that I have no evidence of disease!!! I handled the chemopretty well and am ready to face surgery with the same strong and positive attitude!!

Praying for everyone here to have a successful surgery and healthy recovery!

• Lsunshine
    edited August 2017
    Options

thank you girls. I know if I get to the point I have to vent you are always here and for that I am truly greatful. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. good luck and positive thoughts to all of us on this journey

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi August Group, I was hanging out in the July group, glad an Aug group was started.  I was diagnosed June26th and scheduled for BMX Aug 8th, and cancelled.  Nerves got the better of me. Rescheduled for Aug 22nd.  I am absolutely terrified.  I live alone, and the thought of coming home from the hospital and spending my first night alone is frightening.  I am not having reconstruction surgery, so perhaps I might not have so many complications and pain? I hope I'm just over reacting.  But wishing everything will be ok is not me.  My HER2 has been inconclusive 3 times.  That makes me extremely nervous.  I refuse to go with the assumption that I have HER2 and have perhaps unnecessary IV infusions for a year on top of Chemo. 

I'm grateful for the people here that are posting their progress for us who are about to go into surgery. It helps to know what to expect - the good, the bad and the ugly.  Thx to all

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited August 2017
    Options

Dodes - what is a post surgical camisole?  Did your BS provide this or is this something you had to go out and buy yourself? I was told I would wake up with a 'binder' on, and of course the dreaded drains. 

I'm not too concerned about not having breasts.  They always have been too large and was looking into a breast reduction before DX.  I'm hoping some good will come of this, my aching back and upper shoulders will have a rest.  Its just the surgery itself, and the unknown what is scaring me. 

The only advice I can give during your meetings with BS, MO and RO - is ask questions if you don't understand.  Have them write down the things they tell you that aren't in the handouts.

Good luck. Looks like we will be having our surgeries about the same time,  Mine Aug 22

• MommyErin
    MommyErin Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2017
    Options

rljessu- I'm sorry you're in this situation and feeling so afraid of the surgery. As I said in a previous post, I've been pleasantly surprised by how much better it's been than what I expected. I went flat as well. Pain has been minimal. I can empty the drains myself, no problem. The vest is annoying though. I do have help right now because we have two young children at home and my husband couldn't take off work, but if it weren't for the kids, I'd have no problem caring for myself without help. The only issue I've run into is getting something off of a high shelf, so I would make sure before surgery that everything is accessible and not higher than shoulder height really. I hope your surgery goes well! Regarding her2, I had my first infusion of herceptin and perjeta without chemo a week and a half ago. It was a piece of cake! If your MO is recommending the full year of herceptin, I would consider it just to be on the safe side. Sending positive thoughts your way

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited August 2017
    Options

rljessu- sorry you find yourself alone after surgery. It's scary, I think. I find myself in the same boat suddenly as DH had heart attack and open heart surgery last week. Now I am fording this BC path alone and am worried about that first night home from surgery, too. (DH probably won't be home yet when I am scheduled for surgery)

Please post your experiences as I believe me and others will find it helpful.

I sure hope you find it wasn't bad and was something we can do.

I hope your medical people can soon determine if you are HER2 + or - and wish you well with ur upcoming surgery

• cyclegal
    cyclegal Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2017
    Options

I haven't been online much since August started, but all of you wonderful ladies have been in my thoughts as our surgery month has progressed. I am so impressed by how strong you all are, and it warms my heart to see everyone progressing along their paths. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am not until Aug. 24 for BMX and had my pre-op last week with the plastic surgeon. I was a tad overwhelmed by all the info and prescriptions, but her office is wonderful, and they do a great job of hand holding throughout the whole process.

rljessu, my PS gave me a prescription for a surgical camisole and told me where to go to buy it. One is like a camisole that zips up the front and has two pockets on the inside to hold the drains. The other is similar but shorter and no pockets, for after the drains are removed. She wrote down the style names, and I can go through the paperwork to look them up for you if you'd like.

Lsunshine, we are on very similar journeys. I, too, have LCIS, so my BMX is prophylactic. I, too, wonder if I am doing the right thing or going too extreme. I, too, can't imagine living my life in 6 month intervals of monitoring, possible additional biopsies, stress, and Tamoxifin. I feel selfish saying that when so many other women have no choice and are dealing with worse medical circumstances. I saw an oncologist in June, and she was the first doctor who would give me an estimate of my chances of developing invasive breast cancer. For me, although I have a family history of my maternal grandmother passing away in her 40s from BC, my mother's genetic testing was negative, and I am negative for BRCA1 and BRCA2. The oncologist said my risk is dominated by the LCIS, and is estimated to be between 36 and 48%. But that's just an estimate...no one knows who will actually end up with BC and who the lucky ones are. She made me feel at ease in telling me that both options - monitoring or BMX - are perfectly acceptable options for me. My BS was urging monitoring because it's the least invasive approach with the best statistical outcome. However, my daughter had a stroke in-utero, and the chances of that happening were one in a few thousand...so tell me I could have 48% chance of getting BC, and the girls are coming off! We can do this!

• beach2beach
    edited August 2017
    Options

rljessu,dodgergirl..cyclegal..had surgery on tues. Honestly no pain except for tightness. I had immediate recon..implant. I'm not allowed to wear any type of bra or compression. They didn't give pain killers , only heavy anti inflammatory, like Tylenol they said. Took nothing once I left the hospital. Doing the drains etc on my own. I was up and walking as soon as I got into the room after recovery. You ladies will do great. I had no idea what to expect, but it has been very manageable. Honestly I just wanted It over with. It all happened so quick wasn't probably the best for me. I could have done the lumpectomy but I couldn't do the 6mth routine. My everyday anxiety is way over thebtop to begin with.

You ladies will do great! Please keep posting so we can rally you through.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited August 2017
    Options

beach2beach-- thanks for the encourage

• cyclegal
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thanks, beach2beach...I'm so happy that the recovery has been manageable for you! It gives me hope :) . Fingers crossed that all keeps going smoothly. Impressive that you haven't had anything for pain after leaving the hospital.

• Dodes
    Dodes Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

rljessu, like cyclegal said, it's a camisole with a piece of velcro on the inside that you can attach the drain holders too. when i went into the local "bra shop" and told them what was going on, the said your BS will order one ,(they knew who she was, and knew she ordered them all the time). they set up an account so they could bill my insurance, and i got it 3 days later.

everytime i read one of you telling those of us still waiting that we're going to be ok, it's such a relief. i too, have no idea what to expect, and honestly, my husband doesn't get it, although he tries. i dread the first look in the mirror, but i'm a weenie, so i'm not too surprised at myself. ;). this week i meet with mo, ro and BS for pre op. have no idea what to ask at any of them. lol...

i hate taking my pain pills, and i'm subject to blockages without them, so i'll have to be proactive to keep things moving. so i'm glad to hear that for the most part there's been minimal pain.

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hello August friends, anyone having surgery this week? I reread your posts and it looks like most are scheduled for the last 2 weeks in August. If I missed anyone, good luck and best wishes.

I bought a cami to wear home from the hospital. I am wearing it overnight too. I like the pockets for drains. Right now I'm noticing a chafing on my skin above my armpit. Ouch! So I unsnapped the bra strap where it seems to be irritating my skin.

I'm still taking one tramadol a day for pain. The discomfort is all in my arm, not the incision area. My surgeon cleared me to use Aleve now which works better for me than Tylenol.

I'm not stir crazy yet, but am looking forward to drinking a nice draft beer again! There is an Irish Pub in our neighbood within walking distance that I will visit after I kick the pain pills!

Healing thoughts, everyone

• Lsunshine
    edited August 2017
    Options

cyclegal you are correct so many similarities. Sometimes I wonder if the reason the doctors want us to do the monitoring is so they can get data from us. With lcis having so little information studies etc. I also was givin a number which I think they just pull numbers out but they said 70% I have no history of bc in my family. But I also have no history of nausea when pregnant or csections but I had both of those also. So for me it's not a risk I'm willing to take. It looks like you will have surgery a few days before me mine is the 28th. Are you having skin and nipple sparing? Are you doing reconstruction with TE at the same time as your surgery that's my plan

• ladynicole
    ladynicole Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yesterday (Day 8) my drains came out. Oh thank you Lord!!! Those things drove me nuts. Left drain came out swiftly and I didn't even notice it was done. Right drain was a whole other story. Felt like massive rope burn the whole way out. All 6 damn inches of it. I think maybe that side was very dry as it was only putting out 5ml of fluid prior to coming out. The left side was still producing 15ml of fluid. Tomorrow I see the surgeon for final pathology results.

I feel good! A little tightness under the arms but otherwise amazing. We can't post photo's here but if anyone is wondering what I look like if you pop over to my Facebook page niclockyer there are recent public updates of my progress with photos in the comments. For those that look, yes I have a huge scar, but I did ask for no left over flaps or lumps of skin after surgery as I will not be doing reconstruction. Surgeon didn't let me down on that one. I think it's going to look amazing when the scars fade. x

• ladynicole
    ladynicole Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2017
    Options

MarilynIllinois I too feel like I have chaffing under the armpits. Surgeon got my SNB done through my mastectomy scar so it's not my scar hurting. I asked Hubby to have a look yesterday and he can't see a rash, Doc can't see one either, but it feels like gravel rash! Annoying me a bit. I've been advised to start moisturising the area's above and below my scar to see if it's dry skin causing the irritation.

• Beachmama
    edited August 2017
    Options

wow ladynicole! So happy for you - I'm hoping to get my drains out Wed. It will feel like freedom! I checked out your pics - very similar to mine - I was not expecting it to go that far under my arms. But, it should heal up nicely. My armpits are starting to get feeling and chafe, too. Hope you get a great pathology report!

• cyclegal
    edited August 2017
    Options

How long did you ladies stay in the hospital? I have been told one or two nights, depending on how I am doing. My surgery is at 1pm and scheduled for 5 hours, so I am wondering if I will be there the second night because of the timing.

Ladynicole, so nice your drains are out! Seems like everyone feels so much better after that happens. The nurse told me at pre-op that resting as necessary will only help the drains come out faster.

Lsunshine, yeah, with being told 70%, that is a no brainer! I'm sure you are looking forward to just getting it over with, like I am. Then hopefully doubt is one less emotion we will have to deal with! Yes, doing skin and nipple sparing, and immediate reconstruction with TEs. The less common part of my recon will be that I am having the TEs placed over the muscle rather than under, and my expanders will be air filled rather than saline, and I can fill them at home with little remotes. I made sure my husband couldn't secretly fill them from across the room ;)

• bella76
    bella76 Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2017
    Options

hi all, I am at home recovering from left side mastectomy and SNB on August 10th. I had nipple and skin sparing with immediate reconstruction with implant.

I'm still taking Endone and Tramadol. I only had 1 drain which came out yesterday.

Tomorrow I go to see my surgeon for the pathology results at 11.30am. I'm nervous