Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• Beachmama
    Beachmama Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2017
    Options

dodgersgirl - it was tight the first few days - the button up shirt was a big help that first week and i wore really soft stretchy Capri leggings that I could pull up easily. I had no problems in the bathroom from day 1 either. But, everyone is different and I have read some posts about others struggling. Also - side note: drinking lots of fluids is super helpful and make sure you have a plan for constipation!😉

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited August 2017
    Options

MrsWinnie,

Good Luck tomorrow! Look forward to hearing how you are doing after.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited August 2017
    Options

beachmama- I bought Colace for constipation due to pain meds. Hoping I can switch to regular Tylenol fairly quickly to help avoid constipation. Time will tell. I gave a pretty high pain tolerance normally but after 20 weeks of chemo, I am far from my normal. Definitely do not want to add constipation as a fun new SE

• DallasDuck
    DallasDuck Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2017
    Options

Good thoughts, Mrs. Winnie

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017
    Options

Happy Birthday, ladynicole! Best wishes for a great year

• Dodes
    Dodes Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

MrsWinnie- thinking good thoughts for you tomorrow.

LisaBS- you getting ready? i know your surgery is the 24th, like mine. i get measured for my sleeve tomorrow, and get my nip injected. i've started knitting my knockers, and i'm finding it's keeping my mind busy.

thank you all who've already had surgery for sharing with us how you're doing and feeling. i speak only for myself, but it gives me great comfort.

• pinkvictory
    pinkvictory Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2017
    Options

dodgersgirl- they started to give me colace in the hospital after the surgery to off set the pain

meds. I continued to take it when I came home, but being on a schedule of meds round the clock gave me a bit of digestive trouble. I originally added senna(not sure that's how it's spelled), but it's a laxative to work with the stool softener. My visiting nurse suggested a dose of milk of magnesia with a dash of warm prune juice...not very tasty, but did the trick. I too was concerned about mobility, but it was more manageable than I was anticipating. Definitely comfy pull up pants/ shorts will make life a little easier🙂 Nicolelady- 🎂🎈happy birthday and to many more happy and healthy ones from here forward! Mrs.winnie, good luck and best wishes for tomorrow

• cyclegal
    cyclegal Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2017
    Options

MrsWinnie, it might be too late for you to see this, but I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!

Dodes and LisaBS, I'm with you on the 24th. Have been going through my mental checklist, getting everything organized. I did a little shopping today to get a button down shirt and some comfy PJs. Having so much to do at least makes the time go by faster. On Thursday, my surgery isn't until 1:30, but I have to be at the PS office at 8:30 to get marked...it's gonna be a long day!

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited August 2017
    Options

pinkvictory- thanks for the additional suggestions to add to colace. Appreciate your reply

• Dodes
    Dodes Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2017
    Options

cyclegal, i've been doing everything i can to keep busy as well.

i still don't know what time my surgery is yet, the BS will call today and give me a time to be at the hospital. i'm dreading it, but theres a part of me that can't wait for it to be over, the anxiety is about killing me! i'll be thinking about you tomorrow too.

Loopy

• pinkvictory
    edited August 2017
    Options

Rljessu- I hope This message finds you well and that you are home, healing and sleeeping comfortably. I could not seem to train myself to sleep on my back no matter how hard I tried and I didn't own a recliner. I called a medical supply store to find that they will rent a lift chair. I am so glad I rented it! Helps me stay on my back and was good when I felt weak in the beginning so I could stand easier without extra pressure on my arms(and chest muscles) .

Tanya- I hope everything went well for you Monday!

Thinking of you all, August friends, and wishing you all well!image

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited August 2017
    Options

hi everyone. Thx beach to beach! I'm still in hospital. BMX tue. The sentenil needle in the nipple didn't hurt at all Didn't even know she did it. No numbing cream I asked but they don't do it. I think it didn't hurt because of numbness from having shingles there twice.

Cancer found in the nodes she biopsy during surgery she took them all out.

Migraine and nausea set in. Prob because of delaudid. It wasn't pretty. Ruff night.

Staying TWO nights in hospital. I try to peak at my scars but need a mirror.

If I lay perfectly still I have no pain. But I keep reaching for things. Then the pain starts. Finally unhooked me from saline drip so I can get up on my own.

Going to have a body scan with radiation to see if cancer spread past lymphnodes.

Hope everybody is well. Just took awalk since the let me put on underwear !

• rljes
    edited August 2017
    Options

ps my binder is more like a tube top with a velcrose front like the 60's. No tightness it's very loose. Getting up was no problem togoto thebathroom - just having to ring for help to reach for things.

What hurts is under arm pit. And the migraines.

I've been told by Phy ther many warnings having all nodes removed - don't bump, don't hit that side , no cuts, very serious.

Otherwise it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. More support than I ever thought.

Hope your surgeries go well Dodes, Cyclegal,LisaBS& MrsWimmie

Thx pink victory.

• AliceAgnes
    AliceAgnes Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2017
    Options

Lady Nicole, Happy Birthday. Better times are ahead for you!

MrsWinnie, LisaBS, and rljessu, I wish you all a splendid recovery.

My surgery date has finally been set for Monday, the 28th. My unilateral mastectomy is set for 11:45 a.m. I will also have a sentinel node biopsy at that time. An axillary node dissection is a possibility, but the doctor and I are hoping that can be avoided. Your good thoughts and/or prayers will be much appreciated.

Also, thanks to all who have written about your experiences here. I like going into this with as much info as possible, and you have been most generous with your sharing.

• Remali
    Remali Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thinking of everyone who just had/will have their surgeries.  Hoping everyone is well.

I am a week out after my sentinal node biopsy and unilateral mastectomy, pain meds are helping with any pain I have.  The pain comes and goes,but I'm doing pretty good here. Had some of those crazy bad shooting burning pains a few days after the surgery, but they have since calmed down and are nowhere near as bad as they were.  My imagination was far worse than the surgery.

• beach2beach
    edited August 2017
    Options

Rljessu, fingers crossed for your scan. I know, dragging the iv pole around was such a drag! I was thrilled when I could put underwear on.

In the hospital they were trying these new gowns out and wanted suggestions. Was more like a housecoat/tent..one size fits all lol. Pink with some design, and soft..almost like a mix of flannel and cotton. Snaps down front and back. Much, much better than the reg hospital gowns with your tush hanging out unless you wear another one the other way. Easy to unsnap so nurses could check drains. Almost was tempted to swipe it to take home for the first few days.

Told them there should have been small pockets on the inside for the drains. Had there been i def would have taken it home. Happy

Hope everyone from today's sugery is on the way to recouping and anyone set for tomorrow..good luck!

• rljes
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi everyone. They sent in physical therapy today. OUCH. Now my chest does hurt. Trying to stay ahead of the pain. Social worker came to set up home care since I live alone. Don't think I'll need to much help. Nice to have a Nurse come over to look for infection and change 'binder'. They had to put soft bang ages under my binder - plus a bubble bandage on my back where there was a blister. And sending an aide to help bath. So far so good. Yes, It wasn't as bad as my imagination. But I'm not home yet. And I've just begun. Next step after the scan will be Chemo. Maybe. We shall see. And the anti estrogen pill Best of luck to all

Ps. I read somewhere a post that they forgot to squeeze the bulb part when closing. had to keep the drains in much longer. That's something I won't forget to do !!!

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi rljessu, It was me that didn't squeeze the bulb tight! Glad I can help you avoid that mistake! I don't remember the nurse mentioning it, but maybe I missed it.

Best wishes to you going home soon.

• MrsWinnie
    MrsWinnie Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2017
    Options

peeking in... Long day and longer night. Pre needles stung right untill surgery. If i dont move im ok lol drains arnt as bad aa i thought. No milking needed with this type. But here hopeing once they change my bandages ill feel bettr. So tight and uncomphy at this time. Thanks for all the well wishes hugs to all

• beach2beach
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi MrsWinnie,

Glad you are doing ok. You'll get better day by day. No milking drains? Great! Rest upHappy

• MrsWinnie
    edited August 2017
    Options

bandages came off. What s relief feels sooo much better. Feeling very tight. I can aee getting range of movement back will be a challenging

Overall happy tho only 4 nodes taken. Now to wait for results.

• Lsunshine
    Lsunshine Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2017
    Options

cycle gal this may be late but I hope your surgery went well. Hope you are on your way to a speedy recovery and you can put this chapter of your life story behind you. I'm scheduled for monday

• Lsunshine
    Lsunshine Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2017
    Options

so for those of you that have already had bmx with TE. How long was your hospital stay

• rokel
    rokel Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2017
    Options

hi all- just discharged this morning. I had a unilateral mastectomy on 8/22 with sentinel node biopsy. Direct to implant reconstruction with alloderm. It's such a huge relief to be on the other side. I did not find it that painful. The worst part was the lymphoscintigram prior to surgery

• beach2beach
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi Rokel,

Great to hear you are doing well. I had the same, direct to implant, and agree, being on the other side is a relief. Being lazy to look it up, what is a lymphoscintigram? Sounds intimidating,

• pinkvictory
    edited August 2017
    Options

Lsunshine-I had a BMX with TE two weeks ago and I stayed in the hospital overnight. for some reason they referred to it as a "day surgery", so I got nervous they planned to send me home same day, but they explained it was just listed as a 23 hour stay...must be an insurance thing..

• pinkvictory
    edited August 2017
    Options

unexpectedly had my first light fill today...thought I had to wait a few more weeks....not bad so far! didn't know what to expect, was pretty quick and painless....guess I will really know in the morning how the pressure feels

• rokel
    rokel Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2017
    Options

Beach2beach- it's an injection of radioactive material directly into the nipple for lymph node mapping. Not every place does it this way. It was quite awful

• MrsWinnie
    edited August 2017
    Options

just 1 night with nurses coming to house today. Hint dont let pain meds run out. I have this onr stitch oochhhhh

• MrsWinnie
    edited August 2017
    Options

stung for me too... My aunt who is very large chest didnt bother her