Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 964
    Options

Thanks Sunshine-the soup sounds very good!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,499
    Options

Good afternoon everyone

Irishlove I started ibrance in June 2017. I started with 250 mg but reduced dose to 100mg pretty quickly. On the ibrance thread there are people at different times of treatment beginners medium and long term all sharing their journey. I think one lady ciaci has been on the longest and she may still be at 250. There are numerous unique responses to this treatment. I think the se’s were gradual in the beginning and the worst is the fatigue. Mel and Chicagoan have been on longer than I. I try to do whatever I want and factor in fatigue. I can be tired and still go travel and just rest. You get used to the limitations/se’s.

For all the insomnia I raise my hand to that too. Yuk. I did take the prescription way out (ambien) several years ago. I need sleep or I’m miserable. I still also use relaxation breathing and or sounds of water.

Mae I’m waiting for seeds to sprout and then I’ll thin and separate. I did that last week and killed a few sprouts 🌱. Happy harvesting! I hope kittens and critters don’t take too much toll.

Mel you DD may have to be told again. My friend moved nearby recently and asked if she could come over, it was after 8:00 I’m winding down by that time and don’t want to socialize with anyone late in the evening. People never know when to leave and I’ll be scowling looking at my watch so I just said “no”. She never asked again.

Have a great weekend all

Tanya

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,136
    Options

So sorry to hear about your classmates' lepto mets. I will send positive wishes her way as I do everyone who is dealing with that beast.

• rk2020
    rk2020 Member Posts: 693
    Options

@sunshine99 - I’m sorry to hear about your friend. It’s always a gut punch to hear this kind of news.

I'm still tweaking steroid dosage to find a sweet spot between pain relief and sleep. Got 4 hours sleep last night. I’m listening to the sweet sound of rain right now. My plants are loving it.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,881
    Options

I’m so sorry sunshine about your friend. I hate this disease.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,089
    Options

I am reading along. Sorry I have not commented.

I was to go get scans and see MO tomorrow (Monday), but there was a screw up and my appointment got cancelled by the clinic. ???? Anyway, they rescheduled all for NEXT Monday the 12th. I will post results. I always worry that there will be progression—- I am 6 years into diagnosis, and 1 1/2 years into this treatment (Lynparza). I have been having my hip issue— diagnosed by ortho with osteoarthritis and needing a hip replacement— but I worry the bone mets have spread too. And I seem to have more fatigue lately. I don't get bloodwork between appointments, so we cannot see if the markers are going up or if any other labs are off. I pray all is stable still.

Thinking of you all. I hate to hear of struggles. This cancer is so hard.

• micmel
    edited June 2023
    Options

I worry too candy. In your pocket. Thinking of you. Good to see you.

• rk2020
    Options

@candy-678 It’s a bummer that your appointment was pushed out but I’m glad you told us so that I don’t worry when I don’t see your results post.

I just got back from the grocery store. $178 and I didn’t buy any meat - only stuff to stock the pantry and a few veggies. And then I forgot to buy extra for a food drive on Monday so I’m going to wind up donating some of what I bought and have to stock up again. 🤦‍♀️ Now, what to make for dinner…might have to be a vegetarian meal today.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

Micmel- how is your sister doing?

Candy-678: fingers crossed for your next scan. Sorry it was canceled and moved. That is a pet peeve of mine when that happens

Sunshine99- sorry your friend received a new diagnosis. Cancer sucks

I was able to sleep 5 hours last night! Not enough but better than being awake all night . Still taking steroids (they end tonight) and still taking Zofran and Compazine, alternating ever 4 hours . Have a scheduled XGEVA shot later this week. And a CT Scan next week to see if current TX is still working

• going2beatthis
    going2beatthis Member Posts: 120
    Options

@rk2020

I agree that food prices have gone “out of sight”.

I use black beans to make a black bean burger (recipe from Unite4Her cooking class)

I am dairy free so substitute plant based feta cheese and ground flax seed eggs.

My husband even enjoyed them! 😉

• cm2020
    cm2020 Member Posts: 530
    edited June 2023
    Options

Typically I read/lurk only, however I am always thinking of each of you/praying for you and rejoice with you when labs/scans are stable and worry/mourn with you when things aren't good. My posting today is to ask if anyone has heard from Sadie? I know she has been struggling mightily and I haven't seen her post here in a bit. I am very worried about her. She has posted in the past very concerned about Sadie (her pup) as she struggled more. If you are reading this Sadie, please know I am praying for you and thinking about you and I hope things have improved.

Edit: with the change in forum it seems all my dx info is gone. at some point i will try to get it all posted again.

• micmel
    Options

I think we heard from her last week. She is taking Sadie to daycare. She did seem. Tired and worn out but did sound up beat about Sadie.

• rk2020
    Options

@going2beatthis Can’t open the pdf. 🙁 I’m looking for a good black bean burger recipe.

Although I love my meat, I’ve been trying to work in more meatless meals. I have a spicy rice and bean recipe I’m going to make tomorrow. It’s a new recipe. I’m too tired to cook today so when my hubby asked “what’s for dinner dinner”, I told him whatever he makes. 😉

https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/spicy-bean-and-rice-burritos/

• micmel
    Options

cm2020~ let me officially welcome you to our other home. I hope you’ll do more than lurk. It’s touching you checking in on Sadie. She’s such a sweet woman and apparently so are you!!!

• cm2020
    cm2020 Member Posts: 530
    edited June 2023
    Options

micmel …Thank you for the warm welcome. Since I am not stage 4 I don't want to intrude on everyone in the living room, but I sure appreciate being welcomed in. When I was diagnosed my husband of (at the time) 34 years decided he was done with me. His exact comment was "I am too busy to be concerned about you". He also decided (though not spoken out loud) he was done being a parent. Our youngest is now almost 19. At the time she was 15. I have raised her by myself since then, went through treatment alone (with her support and the support of my adult son). My estranged husband, to this day, has never asked a thing about me or our 2 kids. I homeschooled my teen and she just graduated a few days ago. Due to finances and my need for health insurance, I must remain married and living with my estranged husband he sleeps on the couch and we don't talk. he also does speak to our daughter). It has been a hard, long, difficult road. I met this man at 16 years old when I was a high school senior. We married when I was 20. To be betrayed and left alone has been devastating. Just 3 months before my dx, he was dx with Polycythemia Vera. Since I am (non-practicing for many years now) an RN I was able to explain it to him in a way he understood, explained phlebotomy, and walked him through all of that. Yet, a short time later, he abandoned me. I was dx the week my state shut down due to Covid. Those that have supporting, loving, caring partners are so very fortunate. The warm welcome here means so much to me. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to unload on you guys.

I thought it had been about a week since we heard from her and I remember her taking Sadie to daycare. I am worried about her and so pray she is doing okay.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 964
    Options

cm2020-Welcome and thank you for your concern for Pat (Sadiesservant) and for sharing your story. Unfortunately, I know of other women whose husbands basically abandoned them after a breast cancer diagnosis. So despicable. Now that your kids are grown, would it be possible to reactivate your nursing license so that you could get back to work? That might give you more leverage and options for your future. I am worried about Pat too and hope she has the support she needs to be comfortable at home.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 337
    Options

Good Evening my BC Sista’s. I’m checking in to say hi and hope you are all doing well today and it was a good day for you.😊 

Oh, and welcome cm2020. Try not to lurk, we want listen and share our own experiences. I’m so sorry that you’v had to go thru this disease without, the loving support of your husband. Dealing with this disease, is painful enough, in so very many ways, and hi abandonment must have been so painful for you and your children at that time. I’m sure you will have support here, girl. Keep posting.💗

I enjoyed the day in the yard with my Dear Husband planting flowers. It feels good to get it done and they look so pretty. I really surprised myself that I felt good because yesterday was a really bad day for me.  I had a lot of pain in my spine and worse in my sacrum and tailbone (coccyx) I felt miserable most of the day. I got ready for bed early, and fell asleep right away.. this morning I showered washed and blew dried my hair, threw some lipstick on and joined my husband in the garden. 💄👄😉.

My follow up with my Oncologist last Tuesday, I discussed my sacral tailbone pain. So, now he wants to send me for an MRI to see what’s going on I guess. My Cancer Antigen CA27 blood test numbers have been steadily going down since starting treatment, although it’s still considered high. So I’m hoping that means the treatment is working and don’t worry about my sacral pain. I don’t know.🤷‍♀️🤔

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,084
    Options

Rk2020 - even when I was still working and exhausted some days - my response to "What's for dinner?" was "Anything I don't have to cook!" :) I'm lucky my husband frequently cooks, especially on the grill or smoker, but inside, too. We used to eat out more, especially dinners at American Legion or VFW where we were members. It was inexpensive and social. We don't have the same opportunities here, and few restaurants to .

Cm2020 - I remember your situation with your husband from another thread. Too bad he turned out to be...less than admirable (trying really hard not to say "worthless" - I guess I just can't do it)

I can't tell you ladies how much I appreciate this thread. It moves fast, but is filled with love and caring.

Nothing new and interesting here. We have a light schedule for a couple weeks, for a change.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 481
    edited June 2023
    Options

Good morning everyone. Thinking of all you great ladies and the ties that bind us. How blessed we are to have each other to support, comfort and pray for. I don't know if my pockets are big enough, but I'll stretch the shirt out just in case. lol.

Welcome to newcomers and lurkers. I use to lurk on this particular thread and finally decided it's time to pull up a chair and chat a bit. Thanks Mel for the blessing of being invited. You are very special to many, including me.

I too wonder about Sadie's Mama and I'm so sorry for the diagnosis of Sunshine's friend. All one can do is pray and hope for a medical miracle. Mara, I love your receipes and ideas for meals. We are feeding 5 right now on SS.

DH got his pet scan and as I mentioned, it wasn't good. Lymph nodes are very large in some areas. The MO's office moved up his appt. and his visit Friday the MO said he wants a biopsy of one area. He was diagnosed with CLL in January and told no big deal. Well, it is now. DH said no to treatment and biopsy. Doc and I had to push him as it's best to get ahead of this then behind it. IV chemo is probably gonna be in his near future but hoping for oral. The cancer is not curable but manageable. Sound familiar?

With the two of us diagnosed with cancer, we don't know how we will be able to care for each other, let alone the house. So with a sadness that we have to face, we will sell our retirement home and move by DS and spouse in NC. Hoping for a townhouse as I'm sure a condo or rental will not let us have our two sweet Pitties. Our DD and GD live with us and her spouse has been visiting lately. They are working on getting their lives straight and should be moving back together soon. Sounds like NC is where they will head so hopefully I won't lose my closeness with my only grandchild.

Yep, cancer sucks……

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 337
    Options

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 679
    Options

Morning as we start a new week here, pocket duty for all who need it this week. As others have said so blessed to be here in the living room with wonderful people!

irishlove I'm sorry that you are dealing with such a full plate, it's just not fair! I hope you find the perfect spot for your family in NC. One day, one step at a time sending strength for you and your DH to get through this trying time.

cm2020 You are such a strong woman and I'm sorry that you have to go through such emotional pain. I have heard similar stories and it just angers me that people could flee when life gets tough. Sending continued strength to you. Hugs.

shanagirl So glad you had a better day and got to garden. It can be so fulfilling when it's done and looks beautiful, enjoy it! Fingers crossed for negative MRI. Hope it's a pain free day for you today. Ha I love that you put your lipstick on! That's the one thing I don't leave the house without, my obsession lol.

sadiesservant Thinking of you ❤️

Had a good weekend, my daughter came up from VA Beach for my mil 85th bday party. It was a great day with our family to celebrate something good! Will keep busy as possible this week CT is Friday. Praying for stable or even better improvement would be nice🤞. Always tell myself it's out of my control and will deal with whatever it brings..not like we have a choice.. right?

Waving hi to all, may everyone have a peaceful day.

• mara51506
    edited June 2023
    Options

cm2020, welcome, this board is for all stages. I am so sorry for what you have been through and still probably going through with your husband but you sound like you are doing your best with the situation. We will always jump in a pocket whenever you need support or someone to listen as well.

Pat, still sending my thoughts your way and concerned about you always.

Shanagirl, it is nice you could get out.

Doing my usual surveys, games, housework and my favourite laundry. Planning to go out, got lazy again yesterday. Just walking around the block, PT throughout day as well. Will still use my cane as I feel very comfortable with that. Might attempt 60 minute walk round trip with couple of sits in the grocery store, we will see, go along bus routes just in case I cannot tolerate, will be wearing shorts as well. I was going to make a quasi egg bite breakfast but found a couple of pieces of store bought pizza left, I already baked it up a couple of days ago. Needed to finish it, added extra garlic spread to the top and some shredded cheese, microwaved and ate with knife and fork. Ooey gooey goodness. I must say better than pizza hut as it was not so greasy. Eggs and beans will come out later. Now I must get ready with sunscreen etc to go for my walk, not sure if want the full walk or what I might do. Filling up with water before and go from there.

I was also thinking it would be a good idea to practice balance sometimes with what I would typically carry on my back like my over the shoulder bag and the other over the shoulder bag that carries water. I would be in front of the counter in bathroom able to grab it. Getting good at the one legged balance. Just pull up one leg in a knee lift, squeeze toes so they grab floor.

• mara51506
    Options

Well, the first walk kind of sucked, I did not fall, easily see how my feet are going and can straighten them out but darned if I did not feel like I was being pulled backwards. Nothing heavy on the back of me, made it through but thinking I may put my over the shoulder bag on as well and train my body on the treadmill using those. I hang onto the treadmill as well but good to train with the stuff I would carry. Did my stress cry, may also go out shorter walks too, maybe take the bus somewhere, The heat did not bother me this time. I think my lack of a right breast throws my alignment out of wack. We will see. Other than feeling like I was falling backward, no stumbles or anything like that to report.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,971
    Options

@rk2020, I found a couple of black bean burger recipes that seem like they might be good!

This one got a number of high reviews:

And this website's recipes generally tend to turn out pretty solidly:

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,577
    Options

Oh geez, I just saw video that shannen Doherty shared on Instagram of her mask fitting for radiation and it was hard. I’ve had it done before and when they bolted her down, I remembered how panicky that moment was, then moments later her chest heaved, and I thought yup, that’s when you almost lose it but try so hard not to. I feel like I need a drink ☹️

• micmel
    edited June 2023
    Options

I saw the same video. You gotta feel for her. Poor thing. Scary scary….

Someone asked about my sister. She went through her chemo and radiation and seems to be nead at this point. She has check ups every three months . Thank you so much for asking me. That means a lot

• illimae
    Options

@micmel i didn’t just feel for her, I was her, that’s why it was so tough to watch. Fortunately, I distracted myself with an old favorite tv show, so I’m good now.

• going2beatthis
    going2beatthis Member Posts: 120
    Options

@illimae Sorry you had to relive your experience. Don’t know if I could have done that. Although I never had radiation, think I will pass on watching it. Thanks for the warning.

• illimae
    Options

@going2beatthis, it’s ok, just caught me off guard. I hate to see anyone go through that.

I hope everyone has a better week planned than I do, I see an endodontist on Wednesday, ugh.

also, good news about your sister Micmel.

• micmel
    Options

Mae~I don’t know how you did it. I can totally understand the trigger that must have caused you. Our minds just don’t forget certain things. Smells. I’m very sorry you would ever have to go through that. But I do know you’re strong. I don’t know if I would be able to be that strong.