Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,890
    edited May 2023
    Options

Sadie~It’s all been said but seriously. Please know you’re a part of the family. If you didn’t share with us , it wouldn’t be fair. Youve given so much support over time. Please know we care and want to know what is going on with you. Good or bad. The reason we are all here is to support each other. This is a place. To let it all out. We’re all in your corner. Always. Hugs to all you amazing ladies.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 484
    edited May 2023
    Options

Pat, sadiesservent, I'm pretty new to this thread but not new to your postings. You always support others and we are here to support you. I'm so sorry that you are suffering so much and hope that it turns around quickly for you. I swear by ZOFRAN for nausea. It does not leave me loopy. My insurance will no longer cover Amitiza (brand name) for IBS and surprise, I found that ZOFRAN took care of it and within minutes, too.

Oh I love the distraction stories you folks share. It's wonderful to just enjoy friends and family and the shore. Can you tell I'm originally from north of the Mason Dixon line? Shhh, don't tell on me but I'm a huge Phillies fan and as a child, walked the boardwalk of Seaside Heights, NJ many times with sissy and brothers. That would have been in the 60's and 70's. Now I live in Palm Coast, Fl., about 15 minutes to Flagler Beach. I love Flager better then Daytona, as it's a no drive beach. Too many tourists in Daytona clogging up the beach with cars and the roads, LOL.

Happy Memorial Day to all that served and their families, too. My GF, H.K., WW2-66th Panther Div., Army active duty in Austrian Alps and then Battle of the Bulge , My F-I-L Major L.F., WW1 Army (served with the English active duty and was gassed in Belgium) and WW2 Army Air Corps, served Eglin AFB. MY DH, E.F., Viet Nam era (served stateside) Air Force, 552nd Early Radar Warning at McClellan AFB.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 966
    Options

Pat,

I really appreciate your updates and wish things were easier for you. It's good to know that you have support from good friends and neighbors.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420
    Options

Pat, I agree with what everyone else has said, please let us know everything that's going on with you so we can give you all the support we can

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,593
    Options

Pat - I like to think we are here for each other through thick and thin, good and bad. I like the fact this group doesn't feel the need to censor the 'bad parts' like other BC places - we all know the score and Im sure the majority of us have had similar challenges/fear in signs of decline.

For the dog lovers (and animal lovers in general) - I saw a video of a dog walking service in Alaska that picks up dogs in a school bus to go for walkies, and the dogs know to get on the bus and get in their seat to be strapped in. Looks like it may have been on the US evening news back in January, but look up Mo Mountain Mutts - they seem to post a lot on YouTube and TikTok. Mel - something you would love :)

Nothing new here, its warm and sunny and I did a bit of an online shopping spree for some new dresses for summer. Leg is coming along and I ordered some compression shorts + groin wrap. Also noticed that moving my cane handle up a quarter inch seems to be doing something significant to my glute activation on the side we've been trying to activate. If its been prolonged for months due to being a quarter inch hunched over, Im gonna be unhappy lol. I rested/iced yesterday, but I told hubs I want to get out for a bit of a walk today to get the blood flowing. Unfortunately with the sun its Tourist Central out here and the sidewalks arent great due to tree roots. Oh well, Ill figure something out.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,149
    Options

Pat, still in your pocket, I love all the support coming your way as well. I hope it is helping you.

Sondra, enjoy your walk today and glad it is doing something good for you as well.

I am unsure which day I want to walk, thinking mall walk to pick up a frozen pizza, cook up right away and have different meals right away, we will see. Other than that, may walk around the block a few times for 30 mins each to start acclimating to warmer weather as well as recognize which is sweat related and whether I am actually overheating or just feeling warm. I need to be able to tell the difference. As long as I can walk at least 30 mins all will be good.

Finally made some hardboiled eggs yesterday successfully from the cooking to the peeling. Next step is to figure out deviled egg recipes as I am thinking taco seasoning or other seasonings in them. I used chicken seasoning and they were good. Gone back to smoothies with choc milk and peanut butter powder as well.

Today will try an eggmcmuffin type sandwich with chopped beans and cheese inside formed to a patty with an muffin. Debating what I want, also have stuffing to use in meals as well. So many cheap foods but they are pretty nutritious as well.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,500
    Options

Good morning ladies

Pat definitely keep us updated. You’ve been kind uplifting and helpful to many. Glad to see Sadie’s getting her walks too. I hope you get relief soon.

Tanya

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,093
    Options

Sadies— Please feel free to vent what you need to. This is a safe space. And, if we are not going thru it now, at some point we will. I am sorry you are having to walk through this path. I hate this for you, and for all of us.

Wow Emac, that is wild. I guess the woodpecker is a goner, huh.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454
    Options

Sadiesservant, we are all part of this family. You have given us the support when needed. We share the good and the bad no matter what. The struggles you have gone through as of late are heartbreaking. I am glad you have the physical support and Sadie gets out for her walk. Thoughts and virtual hug are sent your way.

While we live on the water here in PEI it's not quite a sandy beach for swimming. The dogs love it and when the tide is out it is great for clam digging. However, there is a great white sandy beach about 20 minutes away. This is the perfect time to go before the vacationers take over our tiny island

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 345
    Options

Pat, Wow I’m reading through everyone’s posts, and I feel the same way they are encouraging you. I’ve only been posting on this particular thread until this morning, I posted on another thread to try and support someone. That is what these forums are for. To support and encourage each other. Here especially, everyone totally gets it., Please share everything with us.I’m so sorry you are going thru this. The nausea is awful sometimes,for me. I get it. I get a. Little sad sometimes because, i know I need to take these meds the rest of my life, and I wonder if I will stay Ned for a number of years like I did for the 13 with my first Dx. Know feel I’m not young with not many years left, and wonder if it’s all worth going through this new treatment. I’m a little down and negative today because I went to a wonderful family barbecue yesterday, and my mortality was so in my head. I found myself dreading saying goodbye to everyone and being so uncomfortable because our family always hugs, and it hugging is now painful to my neck and spine. My DH knew to get me out of there fast.

Pat, I pray you will feel be able to mange the nausea and throwing up.

Gentle hugs,

Barb💕

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Pat, I'm so sorry. Please don't stop posting or telling us the truth about how you are. We're FRIENDS here. Not necessarily "family" because we all know how family can be. I hate that you're feeling so crappy, but glad you didn't go dark on us and leave us wondering.

I'm peeking around the corner of the living room and whispering "hello" to all. Don't want to wake anyone up who might be napping.

I finished a baby blanket for my neighbor last night. Was on pins and needles that I would run out of yarn before I got to the last row. I made up, but had to stay up and finish the last few rows. I knew that I wouldn't sleep if I was worried about it. I could probably have DH run me to the yarn store to get more yarn, but didn't want to do that.

Speaking of food (mara :)), I made a chicken tortilla soup yesterday in my new slow cooker. It was AWESOME! I never had chicken turn out so tender before. The only problem is that it makes a lot, and DH is vegetarian. I ended up portioning it into quart-size freezer bags and will freeze it. I love chicken tortilla soup from Costco, but they don't always have it, and it's expensive at my local grocery store. Being the Excel geek that I am, I'm going to make a spreadsheet with the costs of the soup made in my slow cooker and compare it with the soup from the grocery store.

Scans on Tuesday, bloodwork on Friday, then MO appointment on the 5th. Am supposed to call and schedule an EEG and also a swallowing study (per my visit with the neurologist). I'll probably wait until after my scans. Something is definitely going on, either with my lungs or my esophagus.

To those of you with ties to the military, I thank you for your service.

Carol

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 532
    Options

Emac, if I was your neighbor and had seen you outside in your attire with hair all akimbo, I would've thought, "thank god someone else is like me"!

Washing machine is leaking and the fridge is acting up... going to call a repairman after the holiday tomorrow, always a bit of a crapshoot if the repair dude will like talking to a *gasp* woman. Will send them packing if not.

Bit of drizzle here in the Bay Area today, hoping to get out to my little yard tomorrow to do some weeding and trimming, and rearranging of all my bear and bunny little statues. Watching the Junior Great British Baking Show, those kids are amazing and also crack me up.

Sending love and hugs to all ❤️

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

You are all amazing. I couldn’t ask for more support from across the miles.

Nausea just won’t let go so yes, time for the big guns Zofran. I thought I had some but must have turned it down. I had terrible constipation with it when I went through early stage treatment and when you’re struggling to get water down tricks like laculose don’t seem realistic.

Sending Sadie to daycare for the next five days. Even with the morning walk she needs more than I have in me. Much to consider… thinking about a hospital bed for downstairs, etc.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,589
    Options

Reporting for scan day pocket duty. I was Sunshine has them coming up and I think someone else mentioned future scans but can’t find the post.

Had a big storm with lots of hail the other day, so looking forward to a couple days of sunny weather, partly so I can do laundry and line dry. Other than that, I’m just taking it easy.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    Options

Hi sadiesservant, I get metoclopramide, Maxolon, for anti sicknesss when i have chemo. The side effects are diarrhoea and drowsiness. If it's something you have not tried yet you could ask your medical team if it's appropriate for you . Gentle hugs if you want them.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 685
    Options

Morning everyone ,remembering our brave souls today that fought for our freedom. Thank you to all who have served and their families.

Catching up on posts this morning:

love Mo-mountain pups too!,I follow them on IG puts a smile on my face.

Yum tortilla soup sounds delish.Wish my family was a little more versatile with food or I would definitely make it. May make it for me and freeze…

Love handmade gifts like baby blankets such a treasure! I still have my kids crocheted blankets tucked away.

Totally understand the mortality feeling at parties etc. I sometimes say to myself will I make it back here next year ( beach, boating , parties). I consider myself a positive person but thoughts start to creep in.

Great concept for doggie daycare, glad you’re able to take advantage of it. You’re a compassionate dog owner, even when you’re feeling bad you always consider Sadie I admire your love and commitment. Sending healing vibes your way today.

Pocket duty for all scans and visits coming this week. Hoping all will remain stable or better yet see improvement 🤞🏻

I went to bbq yesterday alone. DH was busy tinkering in the garage and was enjoying it but i was in the mood to socialize lol. Had a very nice time catching up with everyone.Actually met a distant cousin of my mom’s there which was interesting being my mom passed 24 years ago. We exchanged numbers to arrange a meeting with another family member she wants me to meet. Find myself being more interested in the family tree, will be nice.Probably laying low today as it doesn’t look like a good weather day for boating with a chance of rain.

Hi to all and wishing you a good day!

• mara51506
    Options

Pat, I have always been prescribed Zofran except when I got Emend for the first 3 treatments of the Adriamycin and Cyclophoshamide. Though Zofran makes me drowsy, I lose the nausea and gain some ability to eat. High fiber stuff can mitigate some of the constipation and I don't think you need deal with anything that could cause diarrhea with all you are going through. I hope that the you get some Zofran and gradually get to the point where you can eat some super small meals without being sick. In you pocket for now.

It is getting pretty hot here, that is fine, bring it on. I want a new routine of walking a half hour post meals outside while I can. I am also debating purchasing a GIC for wintertime to cover UBER trips to the hospital in the winter as well since I do not walk. Just planning that walking plan for today between chores, really did not do much this weekend. Busting out shorts even, no more leggings when hot, jjust light material capris and bike shorts under loose tops are the order of the day.

Not sure what I want food wise, will figure out later. Finishing laundry, PT being done and some light sweeping dusting, that is one advatage of a tiny apartment. Surveys, games and other things being done as well for cash. Still do not need another shop for a long time. Plenty of canned stuff, rice, beans and eggs along with peanut butter at the ready. Going to stop buying bread, don't enjoy it from frozen and do not eat fast enough. Will look at pancake mix bread as needed, will see how that goes.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

sadiesservant- my current treatment leaves me nauseous way more than past treatments. I have been taking a Zofran each morning. When I have to take Zofran and Compazine in the same day, I now expect constipation so I take 1 Colace daily with Compazine which seems to help.

Regarding the nauseousness, I bought a “Relief Band” which I wear on my wrist. It really helps me calm down the nausea. It isn’t cheap but the relief provided was worth the cost to me.

https://www.reliefband.com/

Maybe it would help you, too?

After falling last month getting off the toilet, I now have a potty chair with arms that I use when I have chemo legs which gives me a more secure feeling way to get up without falling. Days 8-13 of treatment cause my hemoglobin to DROP and leaves me at fall risk.

Hoping you find what works for you. Please keep posting. We are praying for you and we learn from you.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 658
    Options

Oh sisters, what a few days it has been but first, a happy belated birthday to our dear Mel🧁💐🎊. And I have noticed today that you sound more cheerful-which is an easy thing to have happen now that we have lovely weather and sunshine. May it continue for you, Mel. You deserve it!

Pat - so sorry you are having worsening issues. But I echo everyone else - this is a place for good AND bad, and along with that comes the emotional support of all our sisters. If only we could be physically present for each other…..

So after my Monday trip to the ER, I had to return Tuesday evening as I had started vomiting again and was having severe lower abdominal pain. Unfortunately this time I was admitted to the hospital as I was becoming more neutropenic (0.6), had slight fever, and other labs indicated I had bacterial gastroenteritis. The first couple days were miserable. The abdominal pain was being treated with various pain meds. I was placed on 3 different antibiotics and liters of fluid. No appetite and still couldn’t keep down even a small piece of popsicle. Finally things started slowly improving and I could keep down a few bites of food. The abdominal pain was subsiding and my labs started moving in right direction. I finally got sprung yesterday afternoon. But I gotta say those almost 5 days literally kicked my butt. The exhaustion is unreal. And spending that much time in a hospital bed is pure torture. Can they not make a more comfortable mattress🤬🤬. It was so good to sleep in my own bed last nite! I had fabulous nursing care. Still such a staffing shortage going on though.

On this Memorial Day, heartfelt thanks for those who serve and to those who have given up their lives in service.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

goldensrbest- OMG. So sorry you had to go through all of that. Glad you are home and on the mend.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

I'm trying to remember who said what, but my brain is in a fog.

goldens, WOW and YUCK. I'm sorry you ended up in the hospital but am glad you're back home. Even with good nursing care, hospitals are no place to be if you need any rest. BPs and blood draws every five minutes (OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get it.)

sf, I don't like the attitude some men give us just because we're female. I hope everything gets fixed ASAP.

sadiesservant, my heart hurts for you. I'm sending you warm and gentle hugs. I wish we lived closer. DH would walk Sadie for you. He's kind of mean (just kidding) with dogs as he plays hide-the-ball, now-where-is-it?, oh-here-it-is-in-my shirt tricks. Poor pups.

Waving "hi" to M-cubed (or M to the 3rd power). In case you don't know who that is, that would be mel, mae, and mara. What do you think? To everyone else, I hope your day is good, or at least symptom-free.

Hoping to get a decent night's sleep tonight. Last night I couldn't fall asleep until after 1:00 am. I have to leave the house at 7:45 am tomorrow for my scans. I "try" to make sure my bowels aren't too full since they made a comment about that on one of my CT scan reports. Sorry if that's TMI.

I'm going to walk to the store today for some yogurt, ride the Peloton for 20 minutes and bake a potato for lunch. Oh, and I finished the baby blanket for my neighbor (pink) and started another one (blue) for my niece. It's a super easy pattern that doesn't require too much effort to knit. It's a diagonal pattern with kind of a border made by a yarnover on each row.

Not much else going on here.

Love to all,

Carol

• micmel
    Options

Goldens~I’m so sorry that ended up in the hospital for 5 long days. I’m so sorry you did not feel well. But I am glad that you’re home. Please rest up. There’s hospital rest and there is home rest. Hugs to you

pocket duty for sunshine! It will be crowded in there!
    Sadie~ sending hugs thinking of you !
    Mara~ I get Reglan for nausea. I guess there are many kinds. I don’t take them very much. Luckily ibrance doesn’t cause that for me. A really sore mouth is what I deal with mainly. Aches and killer fatigue. Totally is the monkey on my back. I’ve heard of Zofran . Heard it works good. I think that might be what they gave me when I was having my gall bladder attack. (What we thought was gallbladder)

Hello to Tanya ,Mae,emac rc kitty, Shana, living,Chicagoan,dodgers,cookie,Denny ,Sfcakes,Sondra,irishlove. Love to all….

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,087
    Options

Mel - if I didn't say it before, happy belated birthday. How fun to have a visit with an old friend.

Sadiesservant- ugg. I'm so glad you had neighbors available to help you up. It sounds like you're making good plans for coping in the future. I'm so sorry you're struggling now.

Emac - lol at your visual of you out with the garden house. So glad the fire was not an issue for you.

Sign me up for pocket duty for scans and such.

We had a busy weekend here with kids and grandson visiting. The weather was nice and we got a little time on the boat, so that was fun. GS spent hours in the water with 'neighbor' kids and had a ball. After they left we went to the nearby casino for a little while. Both of us had an 'up' day, so that was extra fun.

• mara51506
    Options

Goldens I am so sorry to hear of the vomiting and hospital stay as well but glad you are out of the hospital. In your pocket while at home.

Sunshine, love the M cubed thing for myself, Mae and Mel that is cool, you sound busy as well. I would love to get an exercise bike but would have no room and do not want to get rid of my wee treadmill. Enjoy the yogurt and the walk.

Planning a mall walk after breakfast. Just having an egg sandwich with english muffins, nothing fancy from the sandwich, got a few dollars from surveys that I could spend at Walmart, we will see, possibly get extra mayo as that is a staple, don't need beans or anything else and still eating up the first batch of stuffing I made. Laundry, surveys/games and walking will fill out my day. I wound up sleeping most of the day yesterday without wanting to so sitting is gone and walking post meals will work better. Have PT person coming Friday so we will see how it feels and what she adds if anything.

Hope people struggling with illness improve and hope everyone has a good day.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    Options

I had a long weekend away with my son and his partner. We havent stayed with them for a year. It was lovely. He lives in Somerset , a county in the south west of the UK. There are a lot of nature reserves in the area , we visited 2 and saw lots of different birds. The sad bit was how my strength and stamina has diminished in the last 12 months. I try to be thankful I am still here, but need to follow maras example and try and do more exercise .

Wishing everyone struggling physically or emotionally the strength to cope.

• mara51506
    Options

Have you ever felt like tossing your laptop at the TV, that is where I am at. Modem was not working at all, no internet, had to use mobile data. I chatted with the people where I get internet from. Their first solution was to suggest a pricier package, double what I pay now. I said no thanks. I would rather constantly reset the one I have before paying that much. For now unplugged everything except wifi.

After that aggravation, I ordered lunch, need something quick to eat. What a PIA. I was at least nice to the chat person who I know cannot help it. So if it craps out, just set to factory defaults.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 298
    Options

Denny10

Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories for me. I've been fortunate enough to visit Bath several times, as well as Glastonbury, Wells and Bristol. Your son is lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

I sympathize with the lack of stamina. I was very active prior to MBC and I'm trying to improve mine as well after skull radiation, steroids and a brutal adjustment to Kisqali. I find it's helpful to assess my improvement in two week increments. While a may take baby steps from day to day, I can often look back and see real improvement over my condition two weeks prior.

Hang in there

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 202
    Options

I was determined to move a lot and have fun in spite of the Verzenio. So I’m now in Kauai on vacation. Went snorkeling yesterday and a wave slammed me against a rock and now I have a broken rib. Hurts worse than anything I’ve experienced! Went to a doctor and am waiting for my painkillers

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 685
    Options

Oh AJ sorry to hear this!~ Yes I have had a couple rib fractures so I can empathize with you definitely can be painful! Hope you get enough relief to enjoy the rest of your trip, fingers crossed.

Ugh Mara sorry your had a frustrating morning. Yep have totally envisioned myself smashing it with a hammer lol. We definitely have a love/hate relationship with our electronics. Hope you enjoyed your lunch and had a better afternoon.

Goldens hope you're getting some good rest at home.

Pat hope your having a better week

Praying for everyone here for good scan results. I'm up next the end of next week. Depending on results MO wants me to touch base with my RO for possibility of SBRT to lung, we'll see……

Waving hi to all of you lovely ladies here💗

• micmel
    Options

AJ, omg!!!!! Thank goodness you weren’t hurt even worse. But owie! So painful a broken rib. I’m so sorry. But kudos for getting out there and trying. Please get some rest and use those pain killers. Extra gentle hugs.

Hello to you sweet ladies.