Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,026

Keris~sending you good thoughts for your markers and scans! We are in your pocket. Sending hugs.

• micmel

Tanya~ always good to see you sweet woman. Hope you’re well and away from storms!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Upcoming procedure is an EGD - or, to put it the long way, "Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, flexible, transoral; with biopsy, single or multiple." That's a mouthful. Thank goodness for acronyms!

• micmel

mkestrel~those pics are beautiful! How pretty that would be to have those birds in my garden. Thanks for sharing.

Sunshine~in your pocket for the procedure! Good thoughts coming your way

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665

mkestrel - you always take such amazing photos, those are really beautiful!

Sunshine - I think once you get a few treatments deep and the cancer starts to wander off the contained reservation, thats when the art of oncology (hopefully!) starts to come into play. Unfortunately I don't think for all the fun new drugs and genetic/mutation identification that oncologists are that much closer to really understanding exactly not only what is going on with the cancer, but how it affects other major systems in the body. Thats a pretty major task at any rate but man there are days where I just want to know. Im sure they do too. Hopefully this new set of doctors can figure out what is up with your gastro situation!

First full day on my off week and I feel RATTY ugh. I finally found a way to stretch the muscles in my lower back that are trying to hold everything together so that was a plus. I did a wheelchair workout on YouTube that helped start to clear the cotton headed feeling from too many drugs and not enough cardio movement and found the double pole x-c skiing motion works ok too and helps stretch my tight stomach. Weather is effectively like late September and everything is so BORING. But what can you do - two more weeks until my rads appt.

Im off to trundle down to the corner - take care FL ladies and everyone else!

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 600

Had a nightmare last night that a huge sinkhole opened up directly in front of my house, and cars and people were falling into it. Was paralyzed with fear in the dream.

Seems an accurate representation of what it's like living with this, waiting for the floor to fall out from under us. I did go to my front window and checked on my car in the driveway, lol, was still there. As was the driveway. Sheesh.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,920

Sorry about the nightmare. Hate those.

mkestrel, Lovely photos and I'm envious of both the flowers and birds. Must feel great to see them.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 563

@mocogram I hope that your new tx plan does the job and is gentle for you. I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet husband. @seeq Thank you and everyone for the sweet encouragement. It means so much to me. @keris113 I know half the battle is mental. You have to fight it and that gets tiring. Try distraction, the GD helps me as do the two dogs and my garden. @sunshine My word that procedure sounds like a complicate procedure but I hope it gives you answers and you can get the right treatment. Please feel better soon.

@micmel Yay for sleeping. Wonderful escape from this disease. Sometimes it enters my dreams and I get frustrated. But for the most part, it is peaceful and gives one the ability to live to fight another day.

Waving hello to everyone and hope scans are good, treatments are kind and for a peaceful, painfree evening. Had our first outerband and it only lasted 30 minutes. Secured pots and convertible in garage. Most importantly rounded up Booty, no easy task. The storm is headed more west and north so I think we are gonna dodge the really rough part. Everyone worked together to batten down the hatches. I got out of my chair to bring in my favorite plants and provide input. I haven't given up Mama is in charge just yet. Well, at least not in my mind.

Good news DH saw his oncologist and once again a steady lab report so no treatment needs to start yet. He has his next pet scan Nov. 30th. His sweet MO talked to me on the phone to tell me the news. This is the first time I was too sick to accompany my DH to his visit.

Everyone please be safe from the hurricane. Thinking of those in it's path.

• micmel
    edited August 2023

Irish~ good news for DH! Loving some Good news. !!
    Ladies in Florida, please be careful and safe. I’m watching the weather. It looks hairy. Please stay safe

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

@mkestrel Beautiful pics and seems like you have quite the green thumb also.

Irish So nice to hear great news to start the day! Yes your still in charge, love it! Stay safe.

sf-cakes Yikes that's some nightmare. Hate when they feel so real, your right with the analogy.

Thinking of all the Florida ladies and praying everyone is safe.

• mocogram
    mocogram Member Posts: 94

Cookie, Mel, Intolight, Tanya, Keris, Sunshine, Irish and anybody I might have missed, thank you all for the kind words and hugs. They meant more than you know. I encourage everyone who follows along in the "Living Room" to share your feelings, good and bad news, and even just daily activities. You'll be welcomed and loved, will learn some new things, and smile at the adorable pics of pups, cats, and birds, and beautiful flowers and scenery. Hoping everyone has a good day and my tomorrow be even better.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,390

Sondra, are you doing that skiing motion from the chair, that sounds really interesting to me, getting bored of the PT stuff though I still do it and think arm exercise is also beneficial should I have to push myself up somehow.

Mocogram, I am sorry about DH, my condolences to you, your family and friends.

sfcakes, I have no doubt your dream represents how you are feeling. I love dreaming, last night I told myself as I drifted off that I wanted to see Victor Newman face off with JR Ewing from Dallas. JR wiped the floor with Victor by the time I woke up. I find I have fewer bad dreams or dreams that I wake up from shouting if I keep thinking of the dream I want.

I'm going to stay home, get some exercise and finish laundry. I am mostly playing mobile games for fun and a bit of money. I don't like slot games that want you to deposit cash but the ones that let you earn a bit for the time you spend playing. I set a goal for something I need and try to take half the price off at least, feels good when I save like that Beyond that, nothing really new.

I am getting tired of things so to hide the things I need to eat but am tiring of, using pancake mix to hold it together. It will be savoury but also sweet at times, be able to add chocolate milk, eggs, beans and bran at different times, easy to eat as well, usually thick almost like a bread. Should be good.

• micmel

mocogram~what a nice post. You’re such a sweet woman.

• mara51506

So used 1/cup black beans ground up with some wheat bran and slight bit of cheese, put mixture into a large bowl. Added 1 egg and some chocolate milk. Put in some pancake mix. Don't think it was quite a 1/4 cup. Whisked together. Seems almost like a cake mix. Heated up the sandwich maker, used both layers. It came out little well done but the inside was perfect. I added a bit of butter and melted it through while cutting through and went for sweet syrup this time I do sweet once a week or two as it would probably be bad. I never finish the extra syrup either.

It was delicious and filling and not that much food. Could do the same idea with savoury. I don't taste the milk or anything else, was just a pancake taste. Was a brown due to beans and milk but super good and nutritious. I am full without feeling uncomfortable.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665

Hey mara - the double poling thing is a rather complicated move that takes quite a bit of balance (on the balls of feet) and coordination to do correctly and not fall over. I wouldnt recommend it with your balance issues - it took me a long time to learn to do it on skis in the first place! :)

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

hey ladies

Tampa didn’t get a direct hit which I am grateful for. I hope the storm dissipates and doesn’t do too much damage to anyone.

The flower and bird pic from kestrel looks like a National Geographic photo. Just beautiful. Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

I sat on the porch for awhile and saw a hawk fly by with a mouse in his talons. My daughter one upped me and said she saw a big toad with a chicken bone in his claw. I need kestrels camera skills to get pictures of this nature stuff.

Take care all

Sweet dreams 🛌. I look forward to sleep too, some days more than others.

Tanya

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Checking in on everyone and thinking about those in Florida.

I have the results of my CT scan and did the bone scan today so I don't have those yet. Unfortunately the CT shows progression to the liver and two new spots in the right lung. The lung spots read as possibly inflammatory but can't rule out cancer. Inflammation would be likely as we have been buried in smoke for a month now so I will wait and see what my MO wants to do with that. I don't feel like I have breathing issues. I got a call today to see if I can come in tomorrow for the SRT. We're going to zap those brain mets in the morning and then I have chemo in the afternoon so I anticipate being pretty wiped out by tomorrow night. It was a good visit with my friend from Portland though and even though we text and talk all the time it is so much better having her here in person.

My mom being in the hospital. She has a horrible case of diverticulitis with abscesses in her colon. She passed out on Sunday and fell but neither she or my dad thought to call my brother or myself. My brother found out yesterday and made her go in to the ER. I'm really grateful he did that. She has what looks like some micro perforations in her colon and could possibly be looking at a partial sigmoid colectomy. They want to wait and see in a few days what a repeat CT of her abdomen looks like. I don't know if I was more scared or more angry that she didn't call one of us. At least I know I come by my stubbornness honestly. She's hopefully going home in a few days once the IV antibiotics kick in and would come back in about six weeks for the surgery if it looks like she will be having that. My brother has been such a help. He's been checking on my dad and making sure he doesn't get too confused without my mom there and he had to drive me to my appointments today because I have been really off balance and couldn't do it myself. I'm trying to remain independent as much as I can so I can help my parents and not have everything land on him all at once.

Hugs to all and I am in pockets for those that need it. I too look forward to sleep. I have a hard time getting there but it's great to live in dreamland once in a while, I agree.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

Emac, I will be praying for you tomorrow through your treatments. Sending peace to you for your many burdens, and that you will sleep well tonight.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 563

@emac877 You certainly have a lot going on and I am sending hugs, prayers and love to you and your family. I love the comment about stubborness. I think it serves one quite well. Keep fighting the good fight. We are all with you.

Hello everyone. Sending thoughts and prayers and in pockets for good scans and procedures. Thanks for the support for DH's good news. He actually had his doc call me to tell me, as DH has been known to downplay medical stuff.

No damage here in our neighborhood located in the northeast central Florida area. Just a palm frond on the ground. DH and SIL put all the plants and outdoor furniture back in place. Holding our breath as the news mentioned another wave that looks like it could develop. My heart hurts for those in Taylor county. It seems like the folks that can least afford damage are hit the hardest.

• micmel

I hope we all sleep tonight ! A peaceful calm dream. We deserve that !

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528

Emac pocket duty for you tx tomorrow. I’m happy that your brother got all of your mom and dads issues sorted so you don’t have the full worry responsibility on your shoulders.

Tanya

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 806

emac Here for pocket duty today also❤️ Glad your mom got to the ER and hoping the antibiotics help clear up her colon. Hoping for a good outcome and fingers crossed that maybe she can avoid surgery.

• micmel

pocket duty for scans or whatever needed! Hugs to all ladies ! Stay safe In The weather also!

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026

Emac-Sorry for all you are going through. Glad those brain mets are getting zapped today.

Mara-I've been reading a great book-Moving through Cancer by Dr. Kathryn Schmitz. I recommend it for everyone. There's an associated website with some exercise videos you might want to try to mix your routine up. https://www.movingthroughcancer.com/videos-handouts

• keris113
    keris113 Member Posts: 45

@emac877 Sorry for all you are going through right now, that sounds so overwhelming. I hope that your treatments go well today.

I had acupuncture yesterday for the first time and I wish it was something I could do every day. It was so relaxing even for a little bit and helped with some aches and pains. Will definitely be going back for more soon.

Does anyone feel like the evening time is when they are most relaxed? I don't know if it is just being tired and anticipating sleep or just feeling more relaxed. I have also thought that it may be just relief that I got through the day and don't have expectations on me for the night. I also tend to worry less then and am just a little more zen. It may just be my crazy brain.

Hope that everyone has a good day and thinking of you all.

• mara51506
    edited August 2023

Sondra, I misunderstood. My plan was do it while sitting holding the poles so they could clear the floor as a way to move my arms. I could manage standing as well but modify if needing to hold on to something. Not as bad balance wise. All the PT, OT and especially the morning bridge pose in bed has helped a for strength as well. Sitting, I want to lift my legs and move the poles. We will see how I want to accomplish this after breakfast. Post later if it works out.

Laundry underway, decided a less weird breakfast, a hashbrown, english muffin with butter and a couple of eggs, supper beans and probably eggs again. May or may not be going out with brother tonight, he's busy at work so I will get dressed assuming the trip out, if nothing happens, that is fine too.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,319

Chicagoan, thanks for the video and the book recommendation.

Keris, yes, I too am more relaxed at night. For me it is because I got through the day managing my side effects. It is also a good time to reflect on the good things that happened during the day. One day at a time!

• mara51506

Wow, I was convinced I killed my kitchen while cooking the hashbrown. I had the breville on and all of a sudden all kitchen stuff shut off. I flipped the circuit breaker switches and nothing happening. Then I turned off the main breaker, Getting off was fine, but getting up on the step stool even with a handle was fear inducing but I told myself to squeeze toes for a good grip and used a thumb to turn it back on. Turned out that I missed of the breakers and one of the power cords that shuts off if too much power. I will need to keep an eye on the breveille, need to keep an eye, possible it needs replacing. I also got off the ladder carefully and did not lose balance at all. Whew.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Glad everything was OK, mara. Ladders can be scary. We have an electrician friend who told us that they are more likely to be injured by falling off a ladder than by being shocked. Who knew?