Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,634
    Options

believe, I'm sorry you've been dealing with a nasty cold. I'm glad to hear that your special son is content in his new place while his leg heals. Will he be there long term? I like the word, "content." I used to use it with my mom when she was in the Alzheimer's care facility. They were very good to her and took such tender care of her.

mara, my FIL used to eat air-popped popcorn in the evenings. He had a colostomy and I think the fiber helped him.

I'm almost done with the baby blanket for our FIRST grandchild. Will probably work on some hats or maybe some amigurumi balls in bright colors. I was thinking of making a mobile to hang over her crib. They're quick and fairly easy to crochet. The blanket is knitted. I hope I can easily switch between the two. I'm weird, but I knit right handed, but crochet left handed.

Have a great day, everyone!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,168
    Options

Sunshine, love the white popcorn too. I am keeping up on fiber now because what I did eat or not eat still means irregularity. The complete enzyme for digestion will aid quite a bit in allowing me to eat what I enjoy as well and the extra loperamide will allow me to prepare to go out and feel safe, going to the burger joint as that is where my friend wishes to go before the Ghostbusters movie next weekend.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,600
    Options

@sunshine99 how hard is it to learn amigurumi shapes for crochet? Im a beginner crocheter, but I really enjoy it and feel like making a happy starfish or a cactus, etc would be more endorphin raising right now than slogging through this tunisian straight stitch blanket :P The UK brand TOFT has a starfish kit so maybe Ill just get that and get better at working in the round - I had an idea going in my head to use up some blanket wool scraps I was ripping out of a practice rag rug earlier today but would require more round work and working with a chunkier hook and fiber.

https://www.toftuk.com/PD.aspx?product=Animals/aquatics/-JUMBO_Ringo_the_Starfish

Been trying to work through the UnFinished Objects pile - finished my needlework tile initial on Tuesday, tomorrow will finish OHs crocheted mittens I started last year, finish this other rag rug I have piled on a chair, finish a wool looped pillow I started, etc. Unfortunately something has massively dried out my fingers and I have small cuts, no nails, and rough skin so its a little uncomfortable. Hoping the pure wool gives up some lanolin, but more detailed needlework is going to have to wait while I moisturize and apply gloves.

@mara51506 Glad you are feeling better and hopefully figured out what was causing your issues. Never a dull moment huh? :)

Waving hello to everyone else - I got side tracked looking at yarn and now can't remember what else I was going to comment on from everyone's updates :/ Are folks doing anything fun for Easter?

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,176
    Options

@sondraf Hope you don't mind me chiming in here… I have done a number of amigurumi projects and don't find them difficult at all. I rather enjoy them. I love to purchase Disney crochet pattern books off of Amazon. It's how I started. They come with complete details and enough yarn for two projects out of the book. Usually there are 12 different patterns in a book. I have done all the Princesses, Winnie the Pooh, plus others. If you look through Amazon you can find many different pattern books. I also just google what I want to make and can find plenty of free patterns online. I just finished a St Patty's Day gnome that I put together using the bunny pattern beside it. They are fun. Let me know if I can help.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299
    Options

@sunshine99

How wonderful that your grandchild will have something made by you to treasure. One of my favorite quotes is "Knitting is love made visible" and I'm sure the baby will feel the love you put into every stitch. The mobile sounds like the ideal design with simple shapes and bright colors. Hope you will announce her arrival here so we can all celebrate with you.

@sondraf

I'm impressed by your ability to finish so many things so quickly. I'm much better at starting than finishing but I enjoy doing all forms of needlework and find it a great distraction and stress reducer.

@intolight

The gnomes are adorable. Have you ever looked at Ravelry? Thousands of knitting and crochet patterns, many of them free. I recently downloaded some patterns for knitted gnomes to try but don't think they will look as awesome as yours.

@mara51506

So glad you're feeling better. Popcorn is one of the healthiest snacks you can eat and hopefully it will help you keep your digestive system under control.

Hope everyone has a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Eleanora

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 490
    Options

"The top of the mornin' to ya, and the rest of the day to me-self". I can still hear my Grandfather Keating say this to us 4 kids. A true Mick. I think he was rather pleased when I married a Mick. lol

Well it hit 90 here today, waayyy too early. I see next week it'll be low of 40's, so I sure won't put warm sweaters away. Few things happening. here.

I see a Radiologist Oncologist Monday. I hope he'll agree to help me with the base of my spine to increase quality of life. DH and I said a prayer and then we opened up my latest Pet Scan this afternoon. The words "resolved" were featured, the words "improvement" were also featured and "stable". So I'm hoopin and hollarin. So very blessed that Ibrance is working. I still have that Nov.28 bone scan that was not very good, bothering me. I saw that particular radiologist had not read any prior scans for me. Frankly I suspect he misunderstood INFLAMMATION for increased areas of concern. He did not bother to mention MS anywhere in his report either. The new MO said these scans/things can be misread and if I don't have symptoms, not to worry. I am securing visit with opthamologist as pressure is 22 in my right eye. That places me in the "suspect for glaucoma" category. I'll talk to him about the supposed cancer in orbital wall and see what he has to offer.

Today, we celebrate. Gonna fix a green milkshake! P.S. I mentioned I'm dealing with colitis on and off. Read that Corn flakes (so sugar, light lactose free milk) aides in settling things down. I eat one to two bowls a day and it does help tremendously.

Placing green clover in everyone's pockets for all your needs.

• mara51506
    Options

Irishlove, happy St. Patty's day. I am glad to hear the cereal and lactose free milk are helping you and the colitis. Resolved, improvement and stable are definitely words to celebrate. I am very glad for you.

I am better, no immodium taken as precaution, the complete enzyme is helpful so returned to normal eating. I deleted earlier post complaining about queso and tortilla chips and wanting to throw them out. I thought that was quite stupid and will hide it all in food and use up. Easy enough to do, making english muffins, using the queso instead of butter then layer chopped beans or lentils, wheat bran, add a layer of parmesan and top with shredded cheese and bake in breville. I think that should be good, lots of fiber and iron, we will see if it is good. I also think the no name brand of tortilla chips did not taste as good as tostitos. I will use those to chop the black beans. The other reason dinner was not good is I did not chop or make a paste out of the black beans and I dislike the texture of whole beans but do like the taste otherwise. Have to learn to work around things that are not so great and make something else that is good. The queso spread can also apply to small pancakes made that are savoury in the wee griddles as well, same for the beans spread or whatever.

I also need to get to chores around the house as well as laundry, it is scandalous I have not started it yet. I have also developed a really bad habit of leaving rinsed dishes in the sink overnight, no food on them and they get a dose of the spray I use to clean dishes. Just need to fill the sink, soak for 30 mins and clean. Looking into a roll over the sink drying rack that I could leave dishes on, it lets you dry some dishes whilst cleaning others or gives a good cutting board surface, another option would possibly be attach hooks to my racks that are hooked into kitchen cabinets and hang stuff to drip dry. Have to mull over. Not spending anything at this point in time though. Let the thoughts flow through. Rollable drying rack seems most practical for me with know counter space. Will have to save earnings from rewards toward that.

I hope everyone has a great day and in pockets where needed. May the luck of the irish be with you.

• mara51506
    edited March 17
    Options

Forgot to mention got those snack size KD and will be looking for ways to dress it up as well, not sure why I decided on 3 but if not enjoyed, same as other stuff, hide it in other stuff. I will post results.

I just added salt and parm cheese and ketchup and it was super good.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,355
    edited March 17
    Options

Irish - Another Mick here wishing you a Happy St. Pat's! I think the luck of the Irish kicked in for that PET scan. Now if it will just work wonders re that bad faslodex injection you got!

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,064
    Options

checking in: I will post — one day. Maybe I'll make colcannon tonight. It is a good excuse to eat too much butter. Slainte!!!

• sunshine99
    Options

@sondraf the amigurumi has been easier than I expected. It helped immensely that I have a super-talented friend who will tutor me when I need it. I was having trouble with the "magic circle" but finally got the hang of it. There are some really good (and some not so good) tutorials on YouTube. There are even tutorials for left-handed crocheters.

Intolight, I love your amigurumi! My friend also likes to buy the kits. She's made some really cool stuff and is very patient in teaching me.

mara, I'm sorry you're not quite better? I've used the BRAT diet in the past—bananas, rice, applesauce and toast (dry), but I know you need to find what works for you.

Waving hello to all.

Carol

• threetree
    Options

Elderberry - Love the little blessing - I haven't seen that one before. My mother started making colcannon sometime when I was a teenager. It wasn't any sort of old family tradition or anything. She just saw a recipe for it one day and made it for St. Pat's and we all liked it, so she continued making it every year, along with the corned beef (that I've learned is very un-Irish😉).

Mara - Like Sunshine, I've used a variation of the BRAT diet when I've had GI trouble: plain chicken or turkey broth, saltines, applesauce, and bananas (sometimes rice too). Do that for a day or two and things usually settle out.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 697
    Options

Irish Happy St Patty's day to you ! Happy to hear your Irish luck was on your side , congrats on a good PET!

• mara51506
    Options

Sunshine, I am fully better, have been since a couple of days. Digestive enzyme plus a basic are keeping my system fit as a fiddle now, I just like having backup meds if needed. My diet is back to normal now which is good. Had the KD with ketchup, salt and parm, supper was lentils and an egg seasoned with vegeteble seasoning, salt, tiny bit of ranch and a spoonful of mayo. Next Saturday will be going to the burger joint and then seeing Ghostbusters so will make sure I am fit as a fiddle as well.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,914
    Options

I am off to scan today. Ladies ! I hope it’s good news! Hugs to all of you sweet ladies

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 973
    Options

Best wishes, Micmel!

• threetree
    Options

Mel - Nothing but good, good wishes for those scans. Fingers crossed 🤞!

• intolight
    Options

@micmel Sending prayers for a good scan today.

@eleanora yes, Revelry and Pintrest are two good additional sites for crochet patterns. I use them both.

@mara51506 Hope you continue to feel well today. I have been struggling the last couple of days hoping it will pass for my trip on Wednesday. You inspire me to be more intentional with my eating.

• sunshine99
    Options

mel, sending you good thoughts for your scans!

eleanora, I actually picked up my crocheting last night after I finished the baby blanket. I was surprised that I remembered how to do the magic circle. I found that I read need to have something to keep my hands occupied while I'm sitting.

mara, I hope you're feeling better today.

I have my brain MRI tomorrow and PET scan on Friday. I want some ANSWERS!

Love and hugs to all,

Carol

• intolight
    Options

Carol, praying now for your MRI tomorrow that you will not only get your answers but that you will be covered in peace.

• mara51506
    edited March 18
    Options

I am feeling quite well today. In the middle of a breakfast inspired by youtube but I have adapted ingredients that I have since I have no texas toast. Used english muffins, made a hole in one of them for the egg. So spread garlic on the muffins, made a hole in one of them, put the one with the whole on top of the other one, cracked one egg into it, added wheat bran and some lentils, put the hole I cut out on top, added some shredded cheese on top baking at 350. Checking every 5 mins or so. Recipe that inspired this is below.

Edited to add, the idea of putting a whole in whatever bread you use or english muffin is good, I could stuff pretty much anything I wanted. My version was good although my egg was still runny because it was in the middle, did not have it on top, will try on top next and cook a bit long in oven. I only went about 10 mins, was terrific anyway and I did eat with fork.

• threetree
    Options

Sunshine99 - Absolute best of luck with your MRI and scans!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,060
    Options

In everyone's pockets for scans, tests, treatments ❤️

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 206
    Options

@micmel and @sunshine99 the very best of luck with the scans. I hope the process is painfree and the results are in your favour.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,914
    edited March 18
    Options

Thank you Mods!! Hugs to all you sweet ladies. Thank you as well Malleemiss good to see you. Hope all is well in your world. 💐

• mara51506
    Options

In pockets for sunshine and Mel as they await results.

I really have to laugh, truly. I was taking out my garbage from the back. I actually carried it down the stairs with one hand as I made sure it was not too heavy but before I got to the stairs, there was a random potato sitting on the container bin. Not my potato, my next door neighbour and I had a good chuckle over that stupidity, how do you lose a potato and the front has recycling that will not get taken. I almost feel sorry for the property managers. Oh well. I will probably bring in the lonely potato, wrap it up and take it next week myself, no need to watch it get gross. The lonely potato has been adopted by me to stay until next garbage day, just keeping in old container. Also moved around foamboard in the hallway as it was difficult to get out, works better for me splitting the pile in two. I feel good solving my own problems instead of bitching. Will check out front round 10 to make sure my wee garbage can is not messed with.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 687
    Options

Hello, not much news to share here, just checking in on everyone. We've had some beautiful mid 70's days and I got out to sit in the sun which was a nice change. Draining the catheters is going well. It really hurt the first few days but the fluid is reduced to about half now so it's not quite as uncomfortable. I'm down on my oxygen requirements and can be sitting without oxygen on at all so hopefully I will be able to wean off of it soon. I've just been really exhausted, that's the most frustrating thing. My brain just doesn't seem to focus after about 3 in the afternoon.

In pockets for appointments and scans❤️

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299
    Options

@sunshine99

Yay for a finished blanket! Feels good, doesn't it? I agree about the need for something to keep the hands busy. I have a project for TV, one for the car and one for those magical times when my brain actually focuses! In your pocket for the scans tomorrow and Friday.

@micmel

Fingers crossed for good scan results.

@emac877

So glad the catheters are working and that you've had some nice weather to enjoy. Colder than normal here on the East Coast.

@elderberry

Hi! Good to see you. Hope things are well with you.

Hope all of the living room ladies have a good week with clear scans!

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 490
    Options

Good evening all. Hope you are warm and tucked n bed. Gonna drop like a rock tonight and tomorrow night. Low of 46 tonight and 38 tomorrow night. Not sure the azaleas are gonna be happy.

@sunshine99 and @micmel Cheering for great scans. Let's keep the goodness going. You both deserve it. @emac877 Gee that's good news on the drainage. I hope it dries up quickly and your O2 level increases so you won't need that equipment. In pockets for all your needs.

Had my first Radiation Onc. appt. today. He feels he can help with base of spine and iliac. Pain level is usually an 8, sometimes higher. I start with mapping tomorrow. I am a bit nervous as I've never had radiation before. I spoke to Dr. about orbital wall cancer, he said as long as there is no pain, wait and see. The optical nerve is at risk if we use radiation. 🙄However, I do have an ask for referral to opthalmologist as pressure is high in right eye. RO said to let him know what his take is on the pet scan of the orbital wall. I truly feel like I'm making headway in my care. Does anyone know how many days I need to go? I didn't absorb anything said as colitis was making me ill and b.p. was quite high. I do not usually have b.p. problems. Not sure I am up to this, but 'll find the will.

• mara51506
    Options

Well, just as I was headed to bed, a leak decided to show up in my bathroomfrom the apartment above, pretty big leak, hurriedly got all electronics for the portable washer and spin dryer into the kitchen area, took the powder detergents out, leaving the liquid ones, little water not going to kill anyone, wiped off what I could and pile it in front of the treadmill. Suppose it could have been worse but really fing annoying at 100 am. Oh well, what can I do. Left message with property people, leaving towels on floor so I don't slip and fall and covering shelves with towel too. So annoying.