Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,023
    Options

@threetree, @irishlove and others interested in the discussion on intermittent fasting: I looked for information specific to intermittent fasting and metastatic cancer, as well as intermittent fasting and breast cancer and found the following:

A systematic review from 2023:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9920353/pdf/nutrients-15-00532.pdf

For Advanced Hormone-Positive BC From 2023:

Essentially it looks promising, but large sample size studies are needed. The systematic review is also based on 10 papers, if you look at the methodology. We still need more research on this to confirm validity and reliability of these findings. Like most things, we always recommend speaking to your MO (medical oncologist) and nutritionist when deciding what's right for your treatment. Everyone responds differently, for a variety of reasons (genetics, etc.), and what works for some may not for others. If intermittent fasting improves your quality of life meaningfully that is valuable to consider as well. ❤️

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 485
    edited March 24
    Options

Good morning all. My DH and I both read the article on intermittent fasting being detrimental to cancer and heart patients. I'm sorry I can't find the exact article as it was in my news feed on my telephone. I've scrolled and scrolled and it's no longer there. Frankly I've been doing it for so long I don't see changing my ways now. Like I said perhaps a yogurt or bowl of cereal but I just can't eat much as i have gastro issues. I've always heard you should eat when your hungry not just because it's a certain time or expected. Thank you moderators for your attachment. Interesting that it supports IF from past studies but now new studies are being looked at.

Not much happening here. Couldn't believe the forecast for some areas of feet of snow. Stay safe and in pockets for scans and life's needs. Sunshine, so good to hear you resolved the larynx lesions. Hurray!!!! You really went thru he** and back. Safe to say your back and you are gonna keep improving with new meds.

Edited to add: I found the article dated March 18, 2024 Washington Post with title Intermittent fasting may raise risk of heart disease and death. If you scroll few paragraphs down they include cancer patients and certain others with chronic conditions.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 658
    Options

wonderful news Sunshine!
    mel - hope you get your results soon and that it is continued stable.

Emac - how are you? Unless I missed it, we haven’t heard from you.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,155
    edited March 24
    Options

threetree, I had mouth sores more when I had to be on steroids a great deal. I rinsed with baking soda, salt and warm water after eating. I used a 1/2 tsp of each, minimized the sore spots and if one was bad, dried out the spot, covered with vaseline and it seemed to speed healing.

I was silly yesterday. I thought we were to go to the movie yesterday so got ready and could not figure out why she was not coming, I messaged her and by 8pm I was in tears thinking she forgot about me, thought I should recheck original message, turns out tonight is the night for the burger joint and dinner so that was a relief.

I slept well overall and it is a nice day today. Supposed to warm up next week, melted the last bit of ice on the step yesterday, if I feel like it, will sweep off what is left. I like the green ice melter that is gentle to pets, grass and concrete, seems more effective. Laundry will happen of course, breakfast will include pinto beans mashed into a spread with taco seasoning and queso, adding some wheat bran into the spread. Put some shredded cheese on top. Should be quite nutritious and taste good. Also added tortilla chips to the top and baked at 425 and let cool, was very good. Not sure about lunch, likely will be a peanut butter english muffin around 2pm to keep me satiated until supper at the burger joint. Excited for the movie, stayed away from movie reviews on youtube as I like to form my own opinions. A lot of people hated The Marvels but it was enjoyable to me. I also repaired my computer glasses, one of the arms fell off. Taped some regular scotch tape, pulled out my yarn and used it to hold the arm in place, cannot fold the one arm but that does not bother me. This will do until I locate my other pairs, I like these since they do magnify the screen.

Hoping everyone has a good day, in pockets wherever needed as well.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,320
    Options

Irish- Thanks for the reference; I'll look for it. I know exactly what you mean about reading these articles and then down the road, can't locate or remember exact source. I do it all the time. I actually read a study sometime over the last 2 years that suggests that intermittent fasting might help with "regular cancer" if you will, and other disease prevention, but that it also might actually encourage metastatic bone spread. I don't think I could find it again if I tried. Since my cancer is in my bones I think about that a lot, but at the same time, since most studies suggest it's better to do than not, I continue to do it, but sometimes I wonder if I'm not hurting myself. How are we supposed to know? I have seen where fasting via skipping eating in the morning can be bad for heart health. I think I've seen things myself where they have connected skipping breakfast to heart disease (couldn't locate them if I tried, though). I assume that if you eat breakfast and shorten the eating window on the other end, maybe it's still OK? Interesting that my father was an intermittent faster, but never knew it. He just had a bad relationship with breakfast all his life, and started eating with lunch and then just dinner. He also had prostate cancer. He lived to 91 and died from heart failure. The prostate cancer was under control with hormone treatment. After reading about intermittent fasting I've often thought about him and wondered if the skipping breakfast is what contributed to his heart problems and ultimately, his death.

Mara - Thanks so much for the mouth sore tips. They are really appreciated. I was going to try gargling/rinsing today. I already have pre-mixed salt/soda packets from Neil Med nasal irrigation, so will use those in a cup of water. I've also got some mouth wash with no alcohol but lots of aloe vera. Used that a couple of times yesterday, as usual as it's my regular mouthwash, and I do think it helps. I just read that honey too might help, and I happen to have some here. Ordered some Squiggle toothpaste too from Amazon, that should get here tomorrow. My dentist told me about it before and I tried it, but wasn't all that crazy about it, as my teeth didn't feel as clean. It might be the thing in this case though, since it has lots Xylitol. In addition to all of that, I also usually eat fresh organic sauerkraut every day, and I understand the brine can be a big help. I usually just down the kraut, but I think I will take some extra time and swish the brine around today too, and see if that doesn't help. I think I've got a lot of tools now in the tool box and just need to figure out how and when to use them all for "maximum efficiency" so to speak.

I just appreciate all of you so much - always ready with advice, comfort, suggestions, etc. It is so nice to have all of you here in the living room! Thanks so much, Mel, for starting and keeping this group going!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,894
    Options

We appreciate you too! Hugs for you!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

mara, sorry about the mixup. I'm glad your friend didn't stand you up!

DH is having mouth sores. We're going to try some zinc. His tend to be stress/lack of sleep related, but Dr. Google said that he may be zinc deficient. I do have some of the Colgate (I think that's the brand) of mouth sore rinse with H2O2.

Love to all,

Carol

• threetree
    Options

Sunshine99 - Sending good thoughts re your husband's mouth sore problem. Hope he is successful with the zinc and mouth rinse.

• threetree
    Options

Shanagirl - Just want to say hi and let you know I'm thinking about you. Very sorry that you've been having a not so good time, and hope you get some meaningful improvement soon.

• mara51506
    Options

I don't see the harm of using multiple modalities to give relief from the mouth sores. Garlic used to really aggravate when going through them but the vaseline on the super sore ones you can reach are good but the swishing after meals for about 30 seconds helps to dry them out and vaseline heals for as long as it lasts, good barrier.

• micmel
    Options

Gm ladies. I finally got my results back and everything came back stable. Again, I’m so lucky to be able to share this news with you wonderful ladies. Thank you for all. The kindness and support you’ve shown while waiting for the findings. Sending my love to each and everyone of you !

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,095
    Options

Congrats to Sunshine for the good MRI results. Hoping to read of good PET results too.

Mel, Woohoo on stable scans again.

This disease is so weird. Some stable for YEARS- Mel at 9 years?, me at 6 1/2 and counting. But others progress quickly. No rhyme or reason.

I have scans coming up on April 12th. Getting nervous. I dread moving on to another treatment, whenever that is. The devil you know…. know what I mean.

Life is funny. I have always been a "planner". Have a schedule. Know what is coming. But now…. every 3 months scans there is the possibility of a treatment change. And with my current side effects, and probably from now on with side effects of future treatments, I have to leave my schedule open and not commit to things due to not knowing how I will feel. I am having to learn to be more "flexible". Hard lesson to learn.

Hi to all.

• micmel
    Options

Thank you Candy and yes I’m going on 8.5 years. I’m thankful. I honestly hope your scans are good. I know that fear of treatment changes. I worry about that all the time too. Sending hugs !

• threetree
    Options

Hurray for good scans, Mel! I'm really happy for you.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 970
    Options

Congratulations Micmel!

• sunshine99
    Options

mel, I'm so glad to hear that your scans are stable. My MO messaged me last night saying that she's pleased with the improvement. Still waiting to hear what she thinks about the skull mets.

• threetree
    Options

Candy - Boy, do I ever hear you about not being able to plan while on these drugs. It's been a huge factor in my winding down my work life. I can't guarantee anybody anything, like being at a meeting at a certain time, being able to show up somewhere regularly, or get reports written, calls made, etc. It's all hit and miss now with "good days and bad days", a "good couple of hours and then a bad six hours", and more. I wasn't a super planner, but this is awful and really forces a big lifestyle change.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,595
    Options

Yay for stable!

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 532
    Options

Mel, hurrah for stable! Great news.

I had scans this morning, and a wonderful tech who, once he saw all the new hardware in my spine, suggested we go to the bigger CT machine indoors (we were in the trailer) "just to be sure the read is as accurate as possible". He carried my stuff for me and walked me right in, stayed there with those other techs to finish the scans with me, and very gently removed my IV. It makes such a difference when the techs are kind, and I told him how much I appreciated him looking out for me!

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 148
    Options

Well done, Mel and Sunshine99. That is two days in row that I have begun the day with a happy heart because of others' good news. I love starting my day that way. I am in the pockets of those who need good thoughts and support.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 485
    Options

Good early morning all you Mel visitors. Isn't it great we get to cheer and praise the Lord for good news on Mel and Sunshine scans. I've got my cranberry grape juice in my tumbler to raise a cup of good cheer.

Last evening my b.p. hit as high as 154/100. Never had that high of b.p. and of course still have the headache. Took one of DH's b.p. meds, it did not work! So we sat up all night worrying. It's back to normal which is 117/76 for me. I just started a statin, wonder if that's the culprit since I took it daytime. Suppose to take nighttime. I chose daytime because I didn't know if it would interfere with my sleep. So tonight I just took it, let's see what happens.

In pockets for good scans and all of life's needs.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299
    Options

@sunshine99

@Micmel

Congratulations on the great scan results.

Doing the "Happy Happy Joy Joy " dance for you!

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 689
    Options

Mel Fabulous way to start my morning, coffee cheers congrats on stable!

Mara Aww sorry to hear about the mixup and I'm glad you realized that's all it was. Hope you enjoyed your night out.

Candy Hey there nice to see ya! Yep a merry-go-round of emotions and endless worries. I work my hardest at staying in the moment, not always easy.

Irish Sheesh glad your BP recovered, I'm sure you'll keep an eye on it. I feel like I can't go a week without something pesky popping up no matter how small it is sometimes.

My son dabbles in photography and took this pic of Buster, figured it may give you a smile today. Wishing you all a good day.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 658
    Options

Love the good news Mel and Sunshie🎉🎉🎉.

Looking for the same as I had scans yesterday. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,595
    Options

Great pic of Buster, I love it!

• micmel
    Options

I love that pic of buster !!!!! Smiles all the way

in your pocket Goldens !

• threetree
    Options

Cookie - Thanks for the picture of Buster that I was able to see with my morning coffee! I just want to scratch him behind his ears and "give him a love". He looks so lovable.

• sunshine99
    Options

Thank you, everyone, for the happy dances. Just don’t spill your drinks! Sf-cakes, don’t you love it when you have someone who looks out for you like that tech did?

Irish, that sounds scary. DH’s BP was up a bit when he was at urgent care. It’s usually low, but he had just skied for a day, driven 7+ hours with a gash in his leg. I have a BP monitor, so I’;; check it for him.

Cookie, love the photo. Happy pup!

Goldens, hoping for good news for you, too.

Waving hi to mara, mel, mae (the three Ms) threetree and all those who I know I’ve forgotten to mention. I’m off to get an overdue pedicure this morning.

Love to all,

Carol

• mara51506
    Options

Mel, I am very happy to hear you are stable, celebrating for you.

I did have a good time at the burger joint then movie. Movie was good for me as a ghostbusters fan though there were too many in the main cast imo. Did not make the movie bad in anyway, just could not focus long on different characters too long. I did not get popcorn for the first time in years but did eat dinner just before. May just have Harvey's before a movie again. The Slimer popcorn container was 33.00 and the ghost trap one was 45.00, way too much anyway.

I did reclaim my garbage can from the building and put out two bags last night, TBH, it is awkward to roll out, had to walk backwards but still lifted my feet up so I did not trip, will continue to use it as well. Easier than carrying the smaller one, will find another use for it like storage or whatever.

I ate terribly yesterday, nothing but queso and tortilla chips all day with a couple of oreo frozen bars. Today will be much better overall. Going to have turkey and beans chopped up with croutons, add an egg and make a better eggmcmuffin than mcdonalds. Lunch will probably involve kraft dinner, single serve cup and somewhere along the way, taco bites combined with something else. Could not resist those. I did make up a pancake in a mug dessert, put a little syrup and melted butter in the mix with maple and bacon dry seasoning, heated on high in microwave for about a minute. After, put some coolwhip I mixed with some syrup and it was very good, not too sweet for me at all. Only done that twice so far.

I hope everyone has a good day and in everyone's pocket.

• sunshine99
    Options

mara, that's a CRAZY amount for popcorn! I don't know what the current exchange rate is for US to Canadian dollars, but still!