Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,635
    Options

Gorgeous photos! It's nice to read the updates on everyone—even the hard ones.

Happy Sunday,

Carol

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,168
    Options

Tanya, those are some beautiful gardens you toured, one of our local gardens were full of cherry blossoms but your garden has a lot of variety, glad it was enjoyable for you.

My apartment feels like a sauna, was going to attempt putting in my AC but called DB place as he usually does it, already moved stuff out of the way. I don't know when he will come but will be grateful. I would like to get one of those air conditioners with the U shape in middle as I think that looks easier to install.

Waiting for Amazon order of chocolate bars that are supposed to be arriving soon, Sticking in fridge and having no more than one per day. I've been able to maintain this with 2 M&Ms per day, can do it with the Reese as well.

Having beans, canned turkey for breakfast, chopping both in my chopper with some croutons. Microwaving with an egg on top, poking the yolk, usual 2min 30 secs and unsure what to season with yet, I will figure it out. Just need to ease up on the fast food, Ive allowed myself quite a bit and do not think that is a good idea at all.

I hope everyone has a good day and in pocket for anyone needing me.

• mara51506
    Options

So called DB and SIL, she came in and announced my apartment stinks, started doing floor mopping and dusting, I let her vs getting offended, I do have a hard time keeping up with everything, need to pick a room, dust and vacuum, do each one per day, I lose energy too fast to keep up. Feel some shame for the amount of stuff she picked up but decided to give myself a break, just need to run the duster under the couch, vacuum on the daily etc. I just have to stop saying I am tired and do what I need to do. Just hard finding my energy even when I have slept well is tough to do for me. SIL also was not being rude about and was helping me so grateful for that and grateful that AC is in the window as well. They even took me out to pick up lunch and get bus tickets.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,180
    Options

Love, love all the flowers. I was fortunate to be able to visit Amsterdam a number of years ago and visited the tulips there. It was amazing! We have beautiful wild flowers here but our growing season is so short we don't have the lovely gardens you all have.

Mara, I understand your fatigue and not wanting or being able to do much. My SIL actually came by and cleaned my house for me a couple of months ago since I was hosting Christmas dinner. It is hard for me to let anyone help me as I have always been the servant, but it was a good thing. She wants to help me and there is nothing else she can do. This made her feel better which is important too. My house is dirty again, but I will manage. My DH helped me last week spring clean the bedroom vaccuming the blinds and ceiling fan which made me happy. I am hoping to be able to tackle the master bath next week, and since it is finally going to warm up I need to self-clean the oven. I have to open windows when I do that. MY smoke alarm is untra-sensitive and in a bad place so I set it off frequently. We keep a large fan nearby so we don't set it off and it isn't that dirty! I do a little each day and that helps. I tried to hire a housecleaner but they look at my big house and want to charge me double ($175) even though I only want the upstairs cleaned. It is not worth it for just the two of us. We are not dirty people so we will muddle along using the Roomba and I can dust… I miss our wonderful housecleaner we had in San Diego.

Hoping you all have a good week.

• mkestrel
    mkestrel Member Posts: 157
    Options

A friend traded me a hive of bees for a painting. I am thrilled. I have caught a couple swarms before but they usually didn't survive the winter. Lately my hives have been empty thanks to cancer etc. Anyway they will bee all over my garden!

Good to hear you are recovering sfcakes

Beautiful flowers Tanya!

Mara I feel similar about my backlog of cleaning etc and have slowly learned to accept some help. Energy priority happens. I just planted a flower instead of mopping lol

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 697
    Options

sfcakes Glad to hear things are looking up for you. Enjoy some light gardening and your shopping trip.Hope you find some comfy stylish pants. I like to stay somewhat on trend and stylish but lately I have been working on building more of a capsule wardrobe. Although I feel like the majority of my life is spent in joggers and workout clothes lol.

Tanya Beautiful pics and I too love Longwood Gardens! Glad you got to spend time with your family but sorry to hear about your back.

sondraf Fingers crossed that you go home Wednesday with some answers as to what is going on.

Rk2020 Hi there, glad to see ya.

intolight Ugh beautiful but I'm sure you were enjoying the recent warmup ! Hope that is the last of the snow!!!

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 490
    Options

Good early morning everyone. I hope you all had a warm, lovely day. I see everyone loves springtime and flowers and gardens and bees… Me, too. My nightblooming cyrus looks good. My Christmas cactus sits right next to it, and is a little shabby. DH bought me fertilizer, potting soil, some type of planter system that stacks and a few annuals. Gotta feel better to start digging in, but what to do it before it gets to hot. Hoping DH will do the weeding in the two gardens. No rain in so long that some of the lawn is really turning brown. We have a sprinkler system, but DD hates when we use it because it's by the wall where her bed is and it's loud.

Visit with surgeon tomorrow. Can't seem to secure the referral for the opthalmologist. Have to make a 4th call, ugh… In everyone's pockets to get home from hospitals and great scans and good days.

• mara51506
    edited April 29
    Options

In your everyone's pocket to get out of hospital and feel better for sure, Irish hoping you can secure referral for opthalmologist, in pockets some energy turns up to tackle some gardening as well.

Intolight, been practicing going around a dusting, will do a light vacuum as well, need to mop bathroom as whatever SIL used made it sticky. Weekly there is no problem taking big duster and keeping wall dust to a minimum, bit a time. Not to worried right now. I did think of what I think is a clever idea for getting behind the toilet and that is to attach a towel to the duster part and spray with some vinegar solution and just try to "dust" behind the toilet and parts of the toilet I cannot get to. Should work. Other than that, bit at a time should work and should not need any other tools. Doing a bit every day, using feather duster daily should help and keep my energy high. Found some foot mops on amazon so can take some of the floor mopping load off by dragging my feet across the floor to pick up cat fur and occasionally spray with vinegar to "mop" floors, can attach to a longer duster to get behind the toilet as well. I only just thought of the foot mops as a viable solution to put them on and take care of the mopping, could also attach to a broom as well possibly, we will see.

My AC has a tiny drip as I think DB tilted to much forward, for now to catch drips put a garbage bag underneath, not dripping down wall or anything, garbage bag just keeping window dry. Not bugging DB today on a work day.

Not sure what I am doing today, planning to keep simple with breakfast, my body wants mcdonalds again but will fight the urge, could just make a swanson meat pie with caesar dressing and wheat bran for fiber, later in day will do the rice, beans and an egg for dinner.

Hope everyone has a good day, in pockets for everyone, in my own pocket that the boiler is shut down soon after my email and if not, look to purchase another AC unit for the living room, window open for now and might bring a high velocity fan to create a cross breeze.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,361
    Options

Sondra - Hurray! You must be so relieved. What an ordeal you've endured. I wish you so much luck going forward with the chemo.

• cookie54
    Options

sondraf Well, thank goodness you're going home! You sure have had a year and I'm glad your MO acknowledged it. Positive vibes your way for the start of chemo.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,915
    Options

glad you’re getting sprung from the hospital Sondra!!!!

• micmel
    Options

my step son graduates friday in Alabama. My dd, ds, DH, are all flying down there. I of course can’t travel. I’m so bummed. My entire family there and I can’t go. It’s a nice thing for my kids though. A little vacation jaunt. They have never been to Alabama before. My step son will be a nurse. Very soon. He’s done so well. We are very proud. That’s some hard stuff!! Hope all you ladies are ok. It was quiet in here today. Love to all!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,881
    Options

I'm glad more men are going into nursing. They add a special touch.

• mara51506
    Options

Sondra, in pocket for your chemo improving the pain for you.

I did not get much done today with housework but did purchase foot mops, can use for plain sweeping, spray the bottom to wipe up something without busting out full size mop, wipe and dust things. Put one on my telescopic duster to clean behind toilet, these will make life easier, so many uses. Makes me excited to try them tomorrow and see what a quick round of housework can look like.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 490
    Options

Good morning here in the wee hours of the day. We are all very upset over the senseless shooting of 8 Police Officers in Charlotte, with four dead. It sounds like an ambush. You don't have to be a law enforcement family to be upset, but when you are (as DH wore the uniform almost 40 years) this hits home. sigh

Sondraf, yeah for going home but you are right a year shouldn't have been wasted. We like to move forward to try to obtain at minimum stability. In your pocket as you start chemo.

Mel, what a blessing to have a son interested in making a difference in people's lives. I know you are thrilled and we are thrilled for you.. Wish you could have been there, but hope lots of video and pics will fill your heart just the same.

Waving hello to all that I may have missed. Saw the surgeon, NO Surgery for now. She said diverticultis can hit one time and never again, two times and never again or three times and never again. It's an extremely serious surgery with high risks especially since I have to be off Ibrance lengthy period of time. Also may have to live with a colostomy bag, part-time and another surgery to fix that, or full -time as the colon just won't heal. No surgery when you have an infection and I do right now. Risks of infections, bleeding, DVT's and needed nursing home for rehab. She also said that the intensity of the pain from first time may not be the same as second time. They don't know why it sometimes just goes away. If you have 1 attack, there's a 30 per cent chance of a second. If you have 2nd attack, thirty per cent chance you'll have a 3rd. That's were they draw the line after 3rd attack. Sign me as a big NO and she'll see me in 3 months.

Gotta call opthalmologist office as the referral has still not gained me an appt. Also ready for lymp appt. Seemed to be getting better then I weeded all of 10 minutes today and now it's painful trunk area. In pockets for all your needs and thanks for listening……

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 661
    edited April 30
    Options

Sondra - I bet you can’t wait to be sleeping in your own bed! Glad it’s soon🎉🎉.

Mel - congrats on having a nurse in the family. I wish you could go too but understand the staying behind. Our DD, SIL and grands are going to Disneyworld mid December to see Christmas decor and while it’s always been a bucket list item, there’s no way I could do it. Even being in a wheelchair. My husband came home from doing some errands and said he heard a comic. The guy talked about when he was in his 50s he made a bucket list. Now that he’s close to 70 he replaced the b with a f. I so get it. This has been a hard spring for me. I so wish I could do something simple like walk the dogs. I see all these people out there walking our lovely neighborhood. We have such a fabulous downtown with tons of cute shops. No way to do that. My joint and back pain is so severe that I just can’t do it. I’m in the mind set where I keep saying i hate my life. Not in a depressed way but more in a matter of fact way accepting my limitations. It sucks.

Irish - so happy you got answers from the gastroenterologist. Hope you get that appointment with the ophthalmologist.

Hope today is a good day for all, with pain and worries far away🥰

• threetree
    Options

Good morning to all. So many I'd like to respond to, but I'm having troubles typing with all my back, neck, and shoulder pain, especially. Just can't figure out what's what, whether it's drug side effects, spinal degeneration, overused muscles or what. Onc and PT also don't seem to know. Everything just hurts and aches!

I did want to give a special shout out to Shanagirl though, as I haven't seen her post recently, and I know she aches a lot too. Shana, hope you are doing ok and that we will be hearing from you soon. Hug!

• mara51506
    Options

Irish in your pocket for the potential ophthalmologist appointments. I am also hoping this attack goes away and stays away for you.

Goldens, I am so sorry about the pain you are putting up with, I am in your pocket as well while you deal with it.

Mel, congratulations to your StepDS and on his graduation and becoming a nurse, they are a backbone of a hospital so that is wonderful.

I am not sure what to do today, thinking of breaking down boxes and making more room at the front. SIL coming Thursday to help me purge but fully believe am going to keep the treadmill and actually use it for a change, don't always want or need to go to the mall for a walk, especially in the heat. Treadmill definitely does not take up much room when folded up, one of the smallest models you can get. Think that I would regret doing away with that, want to get rid of the walker I have, it is never used and lives in my bedroom, will need to move it elsewhere, go through closet, get rid of shower chair, organize. Find better organization in the kitchen or use a container to store under the bed. I can get started today. Want to reorganize the closet to see if my walker will fit otherwise, need to get rid of it as it cuts off the ability of getting round the bed to the window. Also looking for storage in bedroom that is less deep, would give me more proper walking as well. Lots to get rid of from bedroom

Got my foot mops, did mop the floor, wearing on both feet and not slippery, not sure how practical until I attempt to fasten one to telescopic duster and see how it cleans behind the toilet since I cannot get the inevitable dust and cat fur, make up a vinegar spray as well for general walking around mopping with feet, will be using the mops as a cleaner when cleaning out bowl etc, but the bottom and behind are hard to get to for me. Excited to try this stuff. Be handy to keep close by and easy to clean. Still need broom etc as well but wearing these can keep house tidy in the main areas as well. Still thinking of a robot sweeper as a back up as well since there is just so many cat fur tumbleweeds, would love to get rid of them, making myself think long and hard over it as I can see value, I would still need to hit corners myself but we will see. Don't need to tell anyone if I choose to buy it. The moppers will not be all that durable but they are inexpensive, still wearing them.

Breakfast will have little bit of rice, black beans, cheese and some canned turkey, using croutons to maintain texture and microwave on a sprayed plate. 1/4 cup of the beans and rice as it will fill me up. Adding lots of sour cream and onion once out of microwave to season it with a little salt and finally, good old mayo to bind it all together.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,180
    Options

Sondra, good news. Praying with everyone else the chemo works well for you.

Mel, it is good to have a nurse in the family! Congrats.

So much pain and disappointment today…such is our lives! I have come down with a cold so I will hunker down and let the dust mound up hoping I will feel better by next week for multiple appointments. It is warm today. If I am able I will venture out onto the deck. Small joys!

• mara51506
    Options

Woah, called SIL and she is already plotting how to get rid of stuff, I did agree that while the treadmill was expensive, makes more sense to donate or whatever, Need to get my flyers ready for recycle and recycle boxes, think the apartment turned down the heat as not so grossly hot. She bought a tall plastic container but with drawers to store more food items out here, I already moved some of the cooking equipment that was being stored on top of the stove, just to be safe in case I bump it and turn on the burner without realizing it. I am also ridding my apartment of the walker I have, I have 3 canes and two walking sticks that can be used outdoors. In future with no treadmill, will paratransit to the malls in the city and walk there, would be better to do, more expensive but can save on food costs if need be by not ordering skip the dishes all the time. Joining a gym is not practical either as I probably would not take the bus there.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 542
    Options

Sondraf, so good to hear that you can go home tomorrow!!

Irish, sounds like a good appt with the surgeon, and glad that the current recommendation is not to have surgery. So hopeful that you won't have another episode of diverticulitis.

Goldens, lol at replacing the B with an F for the bucket list!

Shopping with my friend was a pleasure, beautiful day, warm but not hot, little neighborhood shopping with little stores, all had their doors open and everyone was mostly outside. I'm still careful about not being indoors with lots of people, so this felt fine. Found a pair of loose cotton blue and white striped pants that remind of me of being at the beach.

• threetree
    Options

SFcakes - Sounds like a wonderful day and find. Good for you!

• cookie54
    Options

irish So glad to hear no surgery is warranted! Fingers crossed that it doesn't rear it's ugly head again. Just so terrible about the death and injuries of these officers. They put their lives on the line every single day just as the military do and I thank them for their sacrifice.💙

mel Sorry you are not well enough to travel, it just absolutely stinks! Nursing degrees are no joke we have several in our family and friend's children who have worked their butts off. Congrats to your step-son!

goldens Ha love the f list… isn't that the truth lol. Wishing you more energetic and less painful days ahead to do the things you enjoy.

@shanagirl I second threetree on the shout out, was thinking we haven't seen you. Hope your managing ok.

sf cakes Glad to hear you had a nice shopping trio and found something you like…win-win!

intolight Hope your cold passes quickly…rest up

Mara Love all your fresh ideas, you always find a way.I admire that determination! Yea may have to slow the breaks with SIL on what you want to get rid of….

We took Buster to the beach yesterday. He did very well off leash and had a blast, running and playing with the seaweed lol. I know for sure who rescued who…..

Prayers and in your pockets for all who are struggling.

• mara51506
    edited May 1
    Options

Good morning all, doing some laundry. Some light dusting after Herceptin. Feeling like a frugal month in store, shopped my pantry, found so many beans and canned meats, not needing those, eggs and cheese will be the likely additions. Earning money on reward sites for TV ads and mobile games. Cancelled bunch of streaming channels hardly watched, can watch most stuff next day or download as well. Going to look for price cut in mobile, hardly use it, no more groceries as I have so many cans of stuff, not needing anything else. Breakfast is spinach, 1/2 cup beans and third of can of turkey. Chopped up so a little soft consistency, really do not care. Edit did not add any mayo, caesar or ranch went with dry seasonings, generous garlic, salt and sour cream and onion. I also did not chop with croutons this time. Once I am down to five cans of stuff, do a big order from Walmart. Until then, not bothering. Also, if I crave chocolate, will eat fiber one brownies, good fibre but also taste good or simple Jello, not chocolate but flavoured ones.

Though I am taking Paratransit to the hospital, planning to walk home, save some money on bus tickets and could use the exercise. Not overly hot either, want to walk at least half an hour a day, if weather crappy or hot, do a march inside.

Hoping everyone has a good day and in pockets for the rest.

• threetree
    Options

Cookie - Just love the photos of Buster (and the beach!). He just looks so, so happy. I'd love a good romp on the beach with a dog too. I've got plenty of beaches around me, but no dog. You all must be so happy, and I am happy for you!

• micmel
    Options

cookie ~ omg I love buster. Those pics are perfect. I would love to frollick with him on the beach. I’m so glad you’re out and about. I’m very stable, but can’t do much though, the damage to my spine has been done and I experience pain and discomfort. No sitting in a plane for hours for me. I need my nap!

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 661
    Options

Cookie - ❤️🐾🐾❤️ the photos of Buster. No beaches nearby but there are a few state parks on Lake Michigan less than an hour away. Want to take a couple of our girls when it gets a bit warmer.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 212
    Options

@cookie54 I love Buster

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,600
    Options

Hi Buster! Im a cat person but you folk are really starting to turn my head here :P Everyone looks to have so much fun with their pets, I would love to take a dog for a walk again, like on a routine basis and buy cute fun comedy toys for it too.

Mara - I think a good spring clean of your apartment will help you feel amazing. I know things with your SIL have been challenging, but perhaps this is her way of making peace even if it is a bit aggressive. Youve gotten years of use out of that treadmill - give it away with love to someone else in need. You can always march in the apartment too :)

sfcakes - ohhherr flowy beach-style pants! I cannot wait to go on a shopping trip again, and with this new lower weight (again, unfortunately) maybe I can fit into some even cuter stuff for summer. I just love the whick of flowy pants :)

Re-entry to normal life continues, hubs called it 'Hospital Hangover' and hes not far from the truth. I ordered rehydration sachets just now, and keeping on top of the nausea and D hasnt been fun all day. If safe, I need to shower in an hour or so, but my leg muscles are fatigued and if I dont think I can do it with the grab bars, then we wait. And order a shower chair or stool :) I slept fantastic last night and even got in a nap this afternoon. Husband seems relieved to have me home to direct life - I gave him the spaghetti meat sauce recipe and off he went, along with some other minor chores. He's lost weight too, I think we are both at the weights we arrived here at 10 years ago.

The results from all those tests in the hospital, done only with cannula, and apparently Im a 'hard stick', keep coming in and I find it amusing my inflammation marker started taking huge drops right when they stopped with the IV stuff. The stress, folks, sometimes Im not sure doctors see beyond the spreadsheet and consider other factors. Or maybe they do somewhere, just not in the stone age that is NHS healthcare.

Have great days everyone!