Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,875
    Options

I’m on Medicare and Xeloda was pretty cheap. SHIP is great to help with choosing

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,147
    Options

Well, body would not allow sleep last night, no idea why so ate breakfast super early and between the no sleep and breakfast, got sick, phoned in sick for both appointments and went to bed. Felt better 6 hours later, phoned back and rescheduled. Do not feel like making anything, getting a couple small burgers which wound up free thanks to reward sites so no food yapping today. Even though woke after nap at 2pm, still going to start winding back bedtime, no matter what and stay in bed even if I am not sleeping, easier to rest in bed.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,610
    Options

cookie, DH and I used a recommended broker to help us choose Medicare plans. We have Part D. I had one copay of $3,333 for my Truqap. The most recent refill had a $0 copay and I don’t think I’ll pay any more for the rest of the year. I think my Part D plan is through WellCare. I’m in California.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,309
    Options

I'm a real stickler for traditional Medicare with a supplement and then an added Part D drug plan. I'm sure you will hear from others who are very happy with other set ups, but this is the way I chose to go, and interestingly, when I went to get proton therapy, they automatically have everyone there talk to a financial counselor and I asked her what her take on all of this was, since she sees so many older people in this situation. She said hands down, the same way I had gone, was the preferred way with the majority of the people she has seen. Also, I work in guardianship and if the agency has a client who is eligible for Medicare, but hasn't been signed up yet for any reason, we always just sign them up for traditional Medicare, get them an AARP membership, and then a supplement and Part D plan via AARP. I'd love to take more time and explain in detail, give specific reasons, etc., but to be honest, I am still wiped out after my Faslodex shots a week ago and just have no energy whatsoever. Have been especially fatigued these last couple of days, and haven't posted at all, even though there were many things I wanted to post about. Others will be along for sure with their ideas and then you can weigh everything and decide what would work best for you.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 683
    Options

wrenn Thanks, glad to hear you say pretty cheap! I was glad someone posted on the site a bit ago about local SHIP office, I had no idea.

sunshine Yes, I remember talking about that and how expensive it was. Glad to hear it's a big zero now. Hmm ..thanks yes a broker is a good option too.

threetree Im sorry your not feeling great , truly appreciate you responding. As of now I was thinking along the same line, Medicare with Medigap plus D plan. It's good to know you have had success going that route. Hope you feel better soon and get your energy back.

Mara Ugh sounds like a rough night, just awful when our body just can't rest. Glad as the day progressed you are feeling better. Fingers crossed for a restful sleep tonight.

• mkestrel
    mkestrel Member Posts: 148
    Options

I'm supposed to be able to sign up with Medicare to start next year. It will be 2 years since I started disability in January. I will check out the ship site, didn't know about it. I need to find out about Medicare too and it's really confusing. Basically I don't have the brain energy to deal with it. Been feeling really wiped out. I wish everyone good food and good sleep! I've been sitting under the apple tree mostly, puttering in the garden some. Here's my tree full of bees!

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,154
    Options

Cookie, I agree with the others. Also, You can access a medicare broker to help you specifically in your area. The government requires them to help you at no cost…don't let anyone charge you. I used Boomer Benefits. I think they are in Texas but it doesn't matter as the can access anywhere. They were great and a big help to me. Just google them. I used Keirah but she may not be with them anymore. It doesn't really matter as they will assign you someone.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,886
    edited April 25
    Options

are the pics coming through for Everyone, or is it just me that they look distorted on the page?

I ordered this toy box for theos many many toys and I had his name and photo on it. Our dog is spoiled. I love him though and the funny thing. The one who didn’t want another dog LOVES him also and that is DH ! lol it’s really quite adorable. I’m so happy he loves him. If something should happen to me I know he’ll have Theo around. Goodnight ladies. I’m thinking of all of you. Sondra. Intolight , cookie, sunshine , SeeQ, Mae, Mara, Goldens,Mkestrel,Irish, Candy, Tanya , when I remember more out of my weak brain I’ll be back. Love to all !

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,585
    Options

I have Medicare with an advantage plan through my retirement system, Xeloda was free when I was on it.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 482
    Options

Good evening all. Beautiful weather here, but no rain for ages. Gardenias are starting to bloom. I carried them in my wedding bouquet 45 years ago come July 4th. We were broke, so we picked that day so we didn't miss work and had free entertainment. lol.

I hope everyone is holding their own and sondraf, getting out of that darn hospital. Mel, Theo's pic looks fine. I'm so, so glad he's in your life! Mara, hope you get some much needed rest tonight. Emac, oh it's good to hear you are improving! The tree is stunning. I think we will try the NO MOW MAY idea. Of course the neighbors might report us, but we'll see. Hi to all and in pockets for all your needs. Thanks for your continued support, too.

Drum roll…… DH does NOT need to start chemo. His blood counts actually improved. I was certain it was time due to his sleeping quite a bit. But he walks twice a day and swims everyday. Plus grocery shops, which is grueling. His next appt. isn't till August.

• mara51506
    Options

Irish, good news for you DH and sounds like he keeps up the activity which is really good.

I have my RO app't tomorrow afternoon, Paratransit booked and will get results of MRI. Still monitoring the internal head bleed, make sure it is not getting worse and not doing anything about it until it does. It could also go away apparently, who knows. It has been over two weeks so not really worried about it. I hope all have a good night, gradually turning my bedtimes back to a civilized hour and off to bed.

• cookie54
    edited April 25
    Options

@intolight Wow good to know it's free, thanks! I remember a work friend in the past speaking highly of boomer benefits. I was thinking you had to be Medicare age, good to know.

@illimae Thanks, I definitely like free. I pay $160 now with a decent insurance plan.

• cookie54
    Options

Mel Yes pics are distorted for me also.

Irish Happy to hear good news from you! So cool your Gardenias are still thriving, love that!

Mara Hope you had restful sleep last night. In your pocket for today's appointment.

• mara51506
    Options

I went to sleep around 12am and woke close to 7am which was not bad at all, set my mind to have a superhero dream. I did wind up with a dream about that as I drifted off and it was a good sleep. Eventually, I will turn the bedtime back to between 10pm and 11pm, always giving time to watch facebook videos. Mostly like the Dad Jokes ones and Whose line is it anyway. Always keep an eye for the time and it does not keep me up.

I do have the RO app't though not until this afternoon which makes for a relaxing day initially. Probably have some eggs, rice and some sort of bean this morning, nothing to fancy but good with some different seasoning this time, may add some chicken broth or garlic powder to the rice, trying to use up my groceries, nothing too heavy or a meat pie though will be adding less caesar, starting to measure toppings to my meals, no need to add so much when flavour can be added anytime with the 1000 or so seasonings I have.

I hope everyone has a good day, in pockets for those who need it. Mel, your post was strange but the picture of Theo showed through. As I said before, I fully believe MRI results should be fine as it has been two weeks at least since the MRI and no one called me in for an emergency app't. If I am wrong, so be it.

• threetree
    Options

Mel - Even a distorted Theo is cute!

• micmel
    Options

lol thank you three. I don’t understand what’s going on with the pics. I wanted to see that beautiful tree posted yesterday.

Mods? Any ideas on what’s going on with posting photos ? Thanks

• micmel
    Options

lol@ Mara “ your post was strange”. Lmao

• threetree
    Options

Mel, I too would really like to see the tree as it really is.

• mara51506
    Options

My food has changed, decided on fusili pasta, sprayed pot, added a bunch of garlic seasoning, steak seasoning and vegetable mix seasoning as well. Also added a lot of chia seeds. Boiled it according to regular instructions. Pulled out of pan and strained, chia seeds puffed out and were big enough not to fall through strainer, microwaved 2 eggs, 2 min 30 seconds with lid, did not poke the yoke so it exploded, hence the lid really helped. Breakfast was good, naan bread is no longer fresh and though it had an enjoyable taste, too thick for my liking. I will go back to english muffins. They do not fill me up to spillage. I also had 2 M@Ms as well, pretty good at just the couple of them vs whole jar, could just buy a pkg and have it last a while. Same with the reese cookie dough, I limit those overall as well, don't need to eat too many sweets at the same time.

I will be hungry post app't so looking at spinach, perhaps more chia seeds boiled in seasoning and probably open up some beans to chop up and microwave and add yet more seasoning. We will see, may also open lentils, crisp them up in microwave, they start out canned and add seasoning as a snack. I did purchase some quinoa puffs from amazon, I had enough on my gift cards from earning they were only 44 cents, got the white cheddar kind, they have good fiber and iron which is really nice. Now, I need to play more mobile games to earn a few cents to get more gift cards so I can try different things for free.

• intolight
    Options

Good morning all. Finally going to get some warmth in CO today. My DD and I are going for pedicures today before I face my Zometa and Faslodex shots tomorrow… A little pampering ahead of time!

Mel, love the toybox! Princess likes to empty hers. At least it is downstairs and is my DD's mess. We need to train her to put it back lol.

Irish, good news for your DH. Yay!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,998
    Options

Hi All,

Given the name of this thread, we thought it appropriate to ask if you would be able to share your reflections on Mother's Day here 🤗. Thank you!

• threetree
    Options

Intolight - Pamper yourself after those shots and infusion too!

• micmel
    Options

mods~ that won’t be hard considering I just lost my mother not too long ago and struggle everyday with out her. I think about her every day

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 111
    Options

Mel - Theo is adorable and I think he knows it, and the toybox is so cute. He must bring you much joy.

Mara - I am glad I am not the only one who forgets to pierce egg yolks.

Everybody have a good day.

• mara51506
    Options

malleemiss251, lucky I use a silicone lid when it does explode. You definitely are not the only one.

Well back from the MRI. We are checking 3 things, the head internal bleed, some enhancement that has been around for years and of course looking for any new mets. All 3 things are stable, she does see some changes from radiation but nothing of concern, I am not having any symptoms either. MRI are remaining every 3 months though given all that is being watched. I am probably going to order out again, bad but do not care, have to wait until volunteer calls.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 111
    Options

Mara - happy dance for you.

• micmel
    Options

yay for stable ! Mara…..glad you’re back

• threetree
    Options

Congratulations, Mara!

• intolight
    Options

Good news Mara. I figure a little treat once in a while is truly warranted. I think my DD is bring home pizza tonight…another little pampering before my Zometa and Faslodex tomorrow.

• micmel
    Options

am I the only one who eats whatever they want ? I don’t limit myself. I just choose moderation. I do tend to stay away from spicy things. That really affects me. I try to limit my sugar. But overall I eat what I want.