Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Options

Comments

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 194
    Options

Hi all - the photos of pets smiling and enjoying themselves are wonderful - as I type I have one of my kitties sitting on my lap under my knee rug. She is purring like a V8 engine - my legs are vibrating with the strength of her purrs - lol - not a bad effort for a 17 year old rescue cat. Good wishes to all and @sondraf I am with you about stress affecting markers. I think, unfortunately, a lot of doctors are tied to their spreadsheet and area of expertise and don't "see" the whole picture, while we don't have a choice about seeing it.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,162
    Options

Well got the Herceptin, Paratransit on the way to the hospital. Was in waiting room and this random lady starts talking to me so that is fine, had a conversation with her and she abruptly said OK, I'm done talking so I stopped talking, just sounded weird to me.If I see someone engaging with a tablet, phone or reading, I don't talk. Just thought it was a bit strange but not offended.

I walked home, mind was not telling me I was tired and it was not too warm, I did sweat some from my head but when checked bathroom mirror, bb cream still holding strong which was nice.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,347
    Options

That was an odd encounter, Mara. I've never experienced or heard of anyone just saying they were done talking like that, especially if they were the one starting the conversation. Like you, I think I would have thought it was "different", but wouldn't have been offended. Might have figured the person was having a rough day, since she was there for a medical appointment.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,603
    Options

Mara, I’m that weirdo, lol. I’ve been told that I’m too blunt in conversations. I’m good at being honest but not so great with being gentle about it. I was out with friends once and there were multiple conversations happening, my friend kept talking to me, so I told her it wasn’t necessary, that I’d stopped paying attention several minutes ago. She said I was rude and I get that but I didn’t see anything wrong with it at the time.

I missed a few days here but do try to keep up. This round of Enhertu hit me harder than usual but after 2 years, it still finds ways to surprise me.

• mara51506
    Options

Mae, luckily my feelings were not hurt, realized that when someone wants peace and quiet, I should simply do that. I know it was not rude, just blunt like you said. SIL is quite blunt as well. Sometimes, I think if we just plainly said what we wanted, the world would be a much better place.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 489
    Options

I Love Buster!!!!!!!!!! Ok truthfully, I think I love most dogs and cats, but boy he is a handsome lad.

Waving hi to everyone. Had my best day since diagnosis yesterday, so I did some gardening. Today, OUCH. Hurt like a bear. Got the marigolds, zinnias and lavendar planted and trimmed a bit and DH helped me weed, a bit. Couldn't have done it without the aide of better pain management. Mara, you inspire me to get at my walk -in closet, dresser drawers and tiny bedroom spring cleaned. I also have a special project, but I hit a stumbling block on it. My DGF made a chest out of wood back in the 30's. One of the boards is marked library books. It's a couple different colors of beige and yellow and really needs painting. It's in my living room and I just don't know what color I want to use. My LR is red, black, beige with a reddish brown leather sofa. My furniture is red cherry or mahogany. Decorated in Asian inspired theme. Open to suggestions…

In pockets for all in need and hope tomorrow is a good day.

• mara51506
    Options

Well, getting some stuff cleared out for spring cleaning with SIL. Was able to put out lots of recycling, truck has not come yet. Getting some garbage put away and soon will clean cat area. Luckily I slept well for a change as lots going on today for sure but I will get it done.

Need to eat healthy today so plenty of turkey, rice, egg and cheese combos, at least two different ones with different seasonings and dressings. Will make the chopped ingredients more dry with croutons and wheat bran.

OK, hoping all have a good day and in all pockets that need me, I am in my own pocket as well to maintain my energy.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 692
    Options

Morning ladies thanks for all the Buster love, if you were here he would give you big wet kisses! He loves everyone and is not to shy to show it lol.

Irish I can hear the excitement and vigor through your post and I love it! I pray you have many more days ahead that you feel this good. I would stick with the lighter colors/neutrals as I think it's timeless. This way if your redecorate it will match with anything.

Mara Glad you got your walk in before the weather really heats up. Yea interesting comment, was thinking maybe she felt like she was doing to much yapping? Either way it's whatever right..I do the same I'm usually up for a chat if someone wants to.

illiemae Hope your feeling better today. Sometimes I feel like we get these little reminders.

@emac877 @shanagirl Thinking of you hope your having a good week

Boy allergies with all this pollen here is at it's max! Spring is such a beautiful time but we tend to suffer for it. I actually welcome the rain they're predicting this weekend. In everyone's pockets today for all who need it.

• mara51506
    Options

Cookie, I agree, like Mae said, could just be blunt. I don't think I should ever take stuff like that personally.

Well, ordering breakfast, my house is a disaster. SIL cannot come today which is fine, give me time to get rid of stuff from the front, did actually use the treadmill today, deciding to keep it, only about 12 to 14 inch depth when folded up, instead keep area by closet clear, should give plenty of room, use bags if need.

Woah, almost fell, was out back filling up my big garbage can when I noticed how lumpy and uneven the ground is, decided then and there, no big garbage can, going to buy a second 10 gallon and have two instead of one as needed. Leaving my garbage in the wee little shed and keep mine in house, don't take up much space. PT has improved my overall condition as in past would have fallen for sure.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,907
    Options

my family is flying to Alabama today for our step sons graduation for a nurse. I am home with Theo being a cheerleader from afar. Looks like clear skies for their flight. ✈️ they will be back Saturday. My DH is treating the kids to this trip. We haven’t had a family trip since before I was diagnosed. When that happened our world stopped. I’m excited for the kids to go and have a few days off and have them be with DH. He got them each their own rooms. So it felt like they had their own space to chill and shower. DH is going. To be designated driver. For celebrating sakes ! Hope everyone has a good day.
    Mara~so glad you didn’t fall. Shout out to PT! It’s obviously helping you!

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2
    Options

Good morning Ladies…Catching up. It’s been such a busy few weeks and I have not kept up. Went for my Tush injections yesterday. My visit was good. Everything Normal and Stable. I’m just giving in to the after effects of this treatment and the crazy last few weeks in my personal life. All is well though. Just Life’s stuff going on in my life.

@cookie54 Love those pics at the beach with your sweet boy🐾🩵 He’s beautiful enjoying the surf. I’m so happy you have him in your life.

@micmel Hi 👋🥰

@sondraf I’m glad things are getting better for you.

@mara51506 It’s always good to see you and read your recipe's

@sf-cakes Love 🛍️ Shopping on a beautiful day😊

@intolight Sorry you are not feeling well. I’m sending restful vibes and peaceful healing. Just give into it girl, and get into bed under a warm blanket. In your pocket, as you recover💕💕🩵

@goldensrbest I so relate to how you desire to walk the neighborhood with the dogs. Yes it has been a hard year for pain and sheer exhaustion that has kept me from my regular walking also. I want to be more motivated like I used to be for my 3 mile walks on the boardwalk. The weather has bee beautiful and I want to push myself to get out with the dogs.🩵

@emac877 You are always on my mind and in my prayers. Sorry I’ve been missing.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 537
    Options

Buster, you are such a cutie pie!

Sondra, so glad you are finally home.

Mae, I kind of love that you told someone you'd stopped paying attention a few minutes ago! I personally prefer people to be straight up honest with me.

Shanagirl, it's good to see you, and yep, life stuff happens.

Mel, it's wonderful that your family can go, even if you have to cheerlead from afar. I'm sure they all know you'd be there in a flash of you were able.

I'm going to have a small retirement party, and have decided to wear a fascinator on my head - I've got a couple of wigs that I like but they make my head kind of hot. I have some hair and usually don't wear wigs, but I really like the idea of going wild. Here's what I ordered, I intend to have fun! (That's not me in the photo, obviously...)

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,347
    Options

SFCAKES - Love the idea of the fascinator! Retire with fun style. It's a beautiful blue. Let us know how the party goes.

• micmel
    Options

I love it too. Blue is my favorite color. Have a blast at the party. When are you having it. How exciting. Retirement sounds like a good thing to do. Go out in style. Working all those years adds up. I hadn’t worked All that many years when I went on disability, because I was a stay at home mom. So those years I didn’t work. Small part time jobs here and there but didn’t add up too much. But luckily I had enough work hours to qualify ! I really do love the fascinator!!!

• mara51506
    Options

sfcakes, that looks fantastic, you will look so good in it, enjoy and if you feel like, would love to see it on you if you are comfortable posting. Enjoy the party.

Very little sleep yesterday before earlier appointment so was too tired to even eat, probably eat badly now, get couple of mini burgers and have the egg and hashbrowns I was thinking off. I've started adding extras to the egg mcmuffin, add extra butter, mayo and lettuce and bacon strips, makes it a proper sandwich.

I did shop and got myself some smaller naan, found the other kind to thick and big but these are smaller and will allow for beans to be mashed and used as a spread, add some garlic and cheese on top. I was pretty good about not spending a fortune on junk, couple smaller bags of chips and no chocolate, have the fiber 1 chocolate brownies which are really, also got some chocolate milk. Planning to whip up with some chopped fibre one brownie, have to watch the calories.

Other than that, appointment and rides to and from hospital were pleasant, for some reason, the Echo did not even bother my back with cramps when rolled over on t he side which was good. Early bed for tonight as well, my house looked like a tornado came through as SIL bought some stuff, they are plastic but will put canned stuff in the bottom, made the mistake of putting on top shelf and it collapsed. No one was hurt but learned my lesson heavy goes on the bottom, nephews piled my stuff out on back porch area, told workers it should be out by weekend, if I discover the energy I will bag up more stuff to put at the dump if DB and SIL are willing. Did not get rid of my treadmill, will keep and use everyday. Poor cats are unhappy as they lost their chair, am still working on my couch, I never have company so corral all the technology that I don't throw away, getting more fleece blanket as I covered it with the crocheted former chair cover but could add a blanket inside as well as sort of a skirt, has a good amount of storage in it.

I do hope all have a great day, pockets where ever you need me.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,595
    edited May 3
    Options

sfcakes - that is like Royal Ascot worthy :) which means its perfect for your retirement party. I love the color!

I finally, finally got a Win - my biopsy results came back and Ive lost PR expression, but Im still pretty strongly ER+ and I remain HER2(2+). I was very thankful to hear that as hopefully I can return to fulvestrant/ribo for maintenance and obviously Enhertu is a possible option. Six weekly low dose carbo/taxol coming up and then she will adjust the schedule to 2 and 3 week cycles so I have a chance to travel home this summer. Start Tuesday at 830 am, its a long weekend here, and I have no idea what to expect at all so this is gonna be trial by fire to start. But if it blasts that soft mass in there into oblivion, Ill just have to go with the flow.

Gonna celebrate with some hot dogs tonight lol. Thank you for all the support, well wishes, and pockets over the last three/four weeks, its meant a lot to know others in the same boat can take a moment to give a kind word and encouragement to someone in distress. And it was distress, I need to get my therapist on the phone next week to help process everything since November, but especially that hospital stay. I hope I can be of just as much kindness in the future for someone else.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,625
    Options

Good morning, ladies!

Sondra, great news!

mara, I wonder if that woman was autistic and knew when she reached her limit.

Saw my MO on Wednesday along with an oncology fellow. I've been referred to palliative care. I'll call them when DH gets home from his short ski trip. I want him to go with me to the appointment. I had really weird dreams last night about palliative care. Dreamt that I was in a strange place, in a strange bed and they were offering me tequila shots. I've never had tequila. It was just weird.

• shanagirl
    Options

Good Day Ladies !!

@sf-cakes Happy Retirement. I love the idea of that gorgeous blue fascinator for the party, Wear it and have fun!💙🩵😊 @sondraf I’m glad you have some answers and a plan. I’ll be in your pocket gor good results.💕

@mara51506 It sounds like you’ve had so much going on. Get some more rest tonight.

@sunshine99 I love tequila shots with a little lemon or lime and salt. Great treat once in a while with DH🩵

@irishlove I’m glad you got out and enjoyed your garden. I’ll be doing that too but right now I’m so bone-achy and feeling like crap since the XGeva & Fasoldex injections i got on Tuesday. Gardening was always a major part of my days Spring & Summer. I could never do all that now…. Ouch. i used to do all my hanging baskets, containers around the pool and also maintained my garden in the yard front and back. I can’t believe I would spend a whole day gardening . I used to get so many compliments, and won an award for best garden one year. Gardening was a passion in those days.

@micmel Like you I was a stay at home Mom, only worked different part time jobs in the evenings. Didn’t add up to much either. I always worked full time before having children early in my marriage…

• shanagirl
    Options

@malleemiss251 I love how you described you 17 Year old rescue cat’s purring…..so cute 🥰 ….I had a 22 year rescue cat who used purr like that also. Thank you for sharing, it brought up some sweet movies of my cat. He was such a good boy all those years.

@cookie54 I’m so glad you have that beautiful handsome boy, Buster in your life. I know. He’s bringing you lots of joy.😊♥️

@threetree Hey there girl. Sending you Happy wishes and a big Hello 👋🥰

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,603
    Options

@sf-cakes Over the years I’ve learned to be more diplomatic with my words, unfortunately, my facial expressions are still brutally honest, lol

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 660
    Options

sf-cakes - ❤️ that fascination. Be sure to get lots of pics to share.

Sondra - You’ve been through the ringer. I think what makes this group so compassionate is that we realize that your situation could happen to any one of us at any time. Which is why some of us have been ghosted. People just don’t have a clue.

Sunshine - hope palliative care provides what you need. I’m so bummed that unless I have cancer pain, the palliative care program at my cancer system won’t take me as a patient. All my pain is due to degenerative disease but it’s horrible. I’m even thinking about reaching out to palliative care at the 2 other cancer systems in the area. Good luck!

Sending caring thoughts to all as we head into the weekend. We have basketball games on Saturday and baseball games on Sunday. Grandkids keep us going….

• shanagirl
    Options

Hi @illimae It’s a good quality to be blunt. I get accused of that all the time by my kids and DH. 😂I laugh and say I take after my Grandmother, who Always would say what she thought…..🩵

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 692
    Options

@shanagirl Hey there, glad to see ya! Yes Buster is bringing lots of joy to our family, just love him.

sf-cakes You are gonna rock that fascination and I love the idea. I never wore a wig when I lost my hair but had fun with tons of beautiful scarves. Enjoy.

Sunshine I'm sure the strange dream and place was all the thoughts of palliative care . Now the tequila shots…hmmm yea who knows how our brains twist our thoughts. may you have a restful sleep tonight.

sondraf So glad you finally got a "win" situation and it works with your summer travel. Amen, enjoy the hot dog celebration.!

• micmel
    Options

My family is in Alabama for my son graduation today…. I know everything went well and things were great at dinner. I just wish I could have gone. Cancer is always getting in the way of living our lives. Makes me sad because I’m pretty young. I’ll be 54 soon. I feel 84… hope all is good for you ladies. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs. !

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,172
    Options

@sondraf Celebrating your win with you!

@micmel You have been through a lot lately. So sorry you feel left out—we all know that feeling well.

You all have responded great and I am not going to add anything more here. My "cold" never materialized but I have felt awful everyday since—extreme fatigue and whole body pain. I didn't want to get out of bed but my family doesn't respond well when I do that. They do better when I just go to the recliner even if I just sit and sleep. I had energy spurts today, but not enough to do much. So I will let another day pass and pray tomorrow is better.

• mara51506
    Options

Intolight, never underestimate the power of a recliner, I use my couch and soft ottoman and am almost horizontal, great naps from there. Yesterday was a low energy day for me as well, stayed within the spurts of energy as well, still managed some steps in the hospital, planning to book earlier than needed to replace mall walks with hospital walks since outdoor walks are a no go in summer. I am sending you the energy I have right now.

I did wake up this morning after yesterday's snooze fest after getting home, went to bed early, did not worry about chores at all, they will still be there anyway today, planning a vacuum, dusting sort of day, next up is to figure out my sofa, I keep most technology related stuff in boxes there, thinking of moving them to the tall plastic drawers SIL got, just want to load the bottom sections with canned food, we will see, cats need somewhere to sit up there. Another part the new house cleaning is dumping litter twice a week, keeps it smelling better and just scoop the immediate stuff, wipe litter, did not think of that, was dousing it in enzyme cleaner, good suggestion from SIL.

I did a pile of the PT from my bed, arm pulls from laying down to sitting with bedladder, 10 of them, 10 bridge pose, sort of a march brought each leg from straight to my chest, 10 each leg and finally ankle work, with legs in air, brought feet forward and bent backward and then moved to the side angles, need to put legs up and finally used a pillow to squeeze thighs into. Figured if I can do some ahead of time before even getting out of bed, I will be ahead of the game. I still am doing some stepwork as well, 10 each leg. Sounds like a lot but not really, easier to do when first wake up.

I think a lot of bean meals are in order and must stop ordering the fancy egg mcmuffins or have to walk to get. They are good but could probably try to make them myself. What I did enjoy was adding the strips of bacon, lettuce, extra mayo and butter and yesterday they added tomato, I even ate the tomato which is not normally what I do but did it anyway, could also make the same sort of thing with the naan in the microwave with all the dimensions, just need some green lettuce to add.

I do hope everyone has a good day whether busy, recharging with rests like a lot of us do as well. I am in all of your pockets and my own to keep up with the dusting and vacuum, those are my weakest points. Still looking at that dustbin that vacuums up what you sweep in that is used a lot in hairdressers places, could be moved room to room and make quick work of a lot of the dust, we will see about that though. No robot vacuum since my apartment has a level up from the living room to kitchen. We will see what I decide to do.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 686
    Options

Just popping in to say hello and catch up. I was in the hospital again for several days. This time I wasn't able to hold food or liquids down. I ended up having aspiration pneumonia and severe esophagitis which caused swelling and eventually a food blockage of the bottom 1/3 of my esophagus that had to be cleared with an EGD. So now I'm home and on antibiotics for the pneumonia and lots of acid blockers and a medication to coat the stomach until the inflammation wears down. I've developed sort of a food phobia now and have been sticking to things with yogurt or fruit smoothie consistencies for the moment. The more I have encounters with the hospital the more I am frustrated with the system. I believe it was SondraF that said it feels like everyone has a spreadsheet. Exactly! I felt like I was a number and everyone was just trying to get their check boxes done with no coordination.

I did finish my WBR. It got delayed two days because of my hospitalization but I am so glad it's done. My back has been excruciatingly painful and a bone scan done this week shows I have progression to my spine, skull, right femur and ribs. So no wonder the radiation table hurt so bad! My MO wants to do more radiation to the new spots but I'm a little hesitant to get back on that table for more radiation. When is too much? At some point does it become more detrimental than helpful? I start Xeloda this week and hope that helps. I feel like I'm burning through options really fast.

Still catching up with posts. Hello to the living room and I hope this week was good. I know most of us have a lot going on right now.

• mara51506
    Options

Emac, that is terrible what you went through but glad you are out of hospital. As far as radiation, you need to know if this will make any real difference in pain etc, number of sessions it would be and SE since you are dealing with multiple issues and starting Xeloda, it is a lot all at once. Perhaps a frank discussion about waiting a bit for the new radiation til you are recovered, your body has been through alot. I know you will figure out your own questions, just suggesting some to ask. You may also want to skip over my more routine posts if I am yapping about food which I do a whole lot. PM if you have questions that are more brain related post WBR as well if that is of any help, in your pocket.

My last suggestion goes along the lines of questions that may come up, screenshotting and saving stuff from this site, sticky notes or just making your own notes and screen shotting those, either through phone or PC to open up on phone has been helpful to me in the past as needed when memory was still recovering after WBR.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 537
    Options

Emac, so glad you're home and I'm so sorry you had to be in the hospital. I agree with everything Mara said about finding out more information about radiating any new spots, since you just finished WBR. And those radiation tables are hard as a rock, no wonder you were in pain there - are you in pain when you lie in bed? I hope not, but I think if it were me, pain would drive my decision. And you're about to start Xeloda, which could certainly start shrinking things. I'm probably just repeating all the things you're already thinking, and wouldn't it be great if there were some clear, absolute answers about this? About any of this. Sending you love and support.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,625
    Options

emac, I'm so sorry about the esophagus issues. I can totally relate as I ended up not being able to keep food/liquid down. I've had two EGD procedures. The first time the GI doc wasn't able to stretch it very much. The second time he (a different GI doc) was able to stretch it a bit more, but the biopsy found more mets. Radiation helped, but it definitely got worse before it got better.

I don't know if I'd want more radiation.

Sending love and hugs to all.

Carol