Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,950

I would totally understand if it was normal for me to wait the week, but in all the tests I’ve had, it’s never been more than two days. I’m on Day 5. They are saying they haven’t even sent it to my doc yet, and then they have to approve its release. It’s just the mental toll it takes. I am sure there isn’t anything wrong, but I don’t like when things don’t go as usual. I won’t go there next time. It’s the office I’m a patient of. It’s right at my cancer center. I’ll go to the outside clinic. They have probably a team of 30 radiologists.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,457

I hope your results come in soon. Hard to wait for them.

I threw some ingredients together and I made a delicious sort of soup. 1/4 cup black beans and 1/4 cup beefless ground. Heated those through first. Put chicken broth into another bowl with sour cream and peanut butter powder. Stirred them and heated that for 60 seconds. Added a little wheat bran too. Little bit of salt too. Added beans and beefless ground with a little taco seasoning. It was delicious, loved the hint of peanut and I could taste the sour cream. Just wanted something different and need to incorporate more beans.

• kbl

I got a call from the office. They couldn’t release them until the doc signed off, but she read portions to me and said I’m stable. That’s what I thought it would say. I am happy about that, but I’m in such a funk today. I get like this about once or twice a month. I know it’s medication induced. I hate when it happens.

I’m going to be moving in about six months about 3.5 hours away. I think I’m thinking about not being with my grandson as much, and I’m getting sad. I am going to really try hard to enjoy this next six months and put it in the back of my head. I will still get to see him when I come for my appointments and to visit, and he will come and stay with me for a week or so at a clip. It’s just a change I’m going to have to get used to. I wouldn’t be seeing him as much anyway because my daughter is going to put him in preschool when he’s three, in six months. I went over to watch him until his dad got home the other day, and when I told him I had to go, he started hysterically crying. We are so bonded. I sit here with tears coming down knowing I may not be here as he grows. I really am good most days not letting it get to me. Today not so much.

Mara, I’m so glad you enjoyed what you made

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

KBL- Great on stable scans !!!! Hated that you had to wait on the results. It is torture. I am sorry you are in a funk. Hugs from here.

Question for the group--- anyone with a Port----

How often do you flush your Port? I get mine flushed every month (during the appointment for the monthly Lupron). The nurse told me should not wait over 6-8 weeks. But I am looking at changing Lupron to the 3 month dosing and then would not flush the Port but every 3 months. Is this too long? Thoughts....

• mara51506

Mel, I am sorry that you are feeling badly with the mucous and cough, hope it subsides soon but I can see why the mind worries for sure. Hugs and healing thoughts from me.

I am not doing much today but instituting rules for the white bread stuff (english muffins and garlic bread). I am expecting longer walks after meals that include those because I want to burn off some of the carbs that are in there and not gain more weight. Also going to include eggs and half an english muffin or small piece of garlic bread as well. I must also say, I am loving the spreadable butter I bought about a week ago, can keep it in the fridge and that is wonderful, will be good for summer. Nothing worse than melted butter or heating it until it melts which I have done. I must reintroduce beans, I have bread with soup as well.

• kbl

Thank you, Candy. I have to say a good cry often makes me feel better. It's like all the bottled-up emotions flood out, I have a good cry, and I feel better. I'm feeling better now.

I don't have a port, so I can't help with your question.

Mel, I hope you’re feeling better.

• mara51506

Candy, article I found about a 2 month interval between flushes here.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30536872/

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Thanks Mara. Looks like with this study that 8 weeks is ok. I would hate to move from monthly to every 3 months. But going to have to coordinate the flushes. Unsure how to proceed right now.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Candy, my port is flushed every 3 weeks immediately following my Herceptin infusion but perhaps you could get it flushed on a regular schedule like when you have your shot and in between, like when you have labs or some other appointment.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

KBL - great news for stable!

Candy - I use my port every 3 weeks too, so don't know about flushing.

Mel - sorry you are not feeling well. I know every little thing sends us down a dark hole. I'm embarrassed to say I left a burner on after making eggs today, DH caught it and looked at me like, is your brain ok? Is this the start of the decline? Certainly dangerous and I have not done it before. I am making a note to tape on the stove to make sure everything is OFF and he will have to double check me. This is why I try not to drive anymore and certainly not long distances ever.

Mara - this peanut butter powder amongst your other ingredients is intriguing. I might have to try it. Where does one get peanut butter powder, like protein powder???

Today I had a coworker/friend ask it I would be up for a work trip in early March. I would have to drive 5 hours to a college campus (spring break) and tour residence halls, to what extent, we don't know yet. I wanted so badly to say SURE!, I love site visits. But I've got all these ISSUES now - like running to the toilet, and having my feet get torn up by walking too long because of meds. Plus who knows what my brain will be doing by then. My coworker said I might be being dramatic about that, but I just don't know about that. I felt like I was just making excuses, but they are all real and valid, and I wish to God they weren't. I wouldn't be asked to do this if there was another good option, but she'd be double booked and the other girl is super busy. Might be time to throw the intern into the fire is my opinion, but it's her project, and she doesn't want to miss anything. I wish I was normal again, I started crying. Till my DH made me laugh hysterically with ideas such as hooking me up to drone that he could fly remotely around inside the buildings. Or he could go in my place with a GoPro. If I did this, he would definitely have to drive me. That's a big if for now.

• kbl

kikomoon, I have left the stove on so many times. I’ll be sitting eating dinner and hear the click of the oven. Grrr. I’ve also left a burner on. Sad to say this happened before I started on meds, so I can’t blame them. If you do go, you’d probably have to spend a day or two. It could be a nice get away for you and your husband. I am becoming more forgetful since starting the meds. I’m sorry for what’s happening. Your husband is a hoot to make you laugh. That’s awesome.

• illimae

Yay KBL, congrats on stable 🎉

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

KBL ~ whoop whoop yay!!!!!! So happy you can finally breathe.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Yay for stable KBL!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

KBL 👏🏿 such a relief

Tany

• mara51506

It's called PB and Me, you can get it from Amazon. It's good in smoothies and meals as a low cal protein boost. I've also mixed it in with real peanut butter to boost protein too.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

KBL,

Awesome news. Like you said, you thought it would turn out that way, but the mind likes to go in other directions.

Regarding leaving the stove on, oh yeah. Been there.

To all who are struggling today, I say breathe. Let go. Don’t let this disease take the best of you.

• kbl

Thank you all so much. I slept so good last night. I didn’t get out of bed once and slept from around 10:00 to 7:00. Boy, what a good night’s sleep does for the body. I feel better today. All of you are my rock. I’m so grateful.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

KBL- just read about your scan results. WOOHOO for stable. Isn't it great to have a good nights sleep.

The last couple of days here has been more snow and ice pellets. Getting sick of this weather! Take me away!

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Beck has had to take Finn to the children's hospital, they think he might have appendicitis, I feel so helpless, I can't go to the hospital because we've had covid here and they only let parents in, it's going to be a very long night, I hope he'll be alright.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,043

Kitty, Sorry to hear about Beck. I hope he can quickly get whatever care he needs. It must be so hard for you to be at home. However, I think your prayers or good vibes-however you look at it will be helpful. Hope he will recover soon so you can see him and give him a big hug!

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580

KBL - hooray for stable!

Kikomoon - if you do go on the trip, it would be nice if your DH could drive you. It’s reassuring to be with someone who understands your needs and doesn’t mind stopping at the rest area no matter how many times. Friends are like that, but I’m more comfortable if it’s someone who really knows like DH. Sending the intern should be acceptable too.

Candy - anywhere local you can go to get port flushed? I didn’t realize it has to be flushed frequently. But someone else suggested combining it with another appointment which is a good idea

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

booboo, thanks for the reminder.

KBL, what an awesome thing to sleep through the night. My DH is actually the one to leave the stove on. I'll walk by it and think, "Wow, it's warm over here" and sure enough the burner is still going.

KittyKat, I do hope Finn is OK.

To Chcagoan and GoKale and all the rest, I wish you a very good morning and a restful weekend.

• kbl

Thank you all.

KittyKat, I know how much you adore Finn. I hope he gets the help he needs and recovers quickly. I can’t imagine not being able to be there. I’m sorry.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Kittykat hope they can give you updates and of course that all turns out well. Take care. Hugs

Tany

• livingivlife

KITTYKAT- Finn will get the best of care. I hope he recovers quickly. When you can't be there that is so hard. Keep us posted. Hugs

• illimae

Alright friends, I have a non-cancer question.

Those of you who live or play in snow and very cold weather, what are the best socks? Brand names are great too, if you know them. It’s becoming clear that flip flops year-round is not going to work in the mountain and while I’ve got good boots, the few pairs of socks I own aren’t going to cut it.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,043

Illimae-Wool socks are best for the snow and cold. Are you a Costco member? The Kirkland brand women's socks are great and quite durable at a good price.

• livingivlife

Mae- I hate wearing socks so even in the winter I am bare feet or flip flops in the house. When I do have to put them on for outdoors I like ones that have a fleece inside as wool is too itchy for me.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Mae, I really like Bombas for cool/cold temps. They’re midweight and feel really nice on your feet. (Buy online)