Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Comments

• Marlena17
    Marlena17 Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2018

I have been in a cleaning,shopping frenzy all week. Blood work tomorrow,1 last client at the salon and then pedicure and manicure. I am so tired I don’t think I have it in me to be scared this week! I have to ask,I am vomit phobic,did anyone get sick when they woke up? I can’t do sick! I always said I’d rather have an amputation than get sick but not this!! Just wondering. My doc said they could give me lots of meds to keep from throwing up. I have never thrown up after being under but I never had general anesthesia!! I am also worried about pain meds and constapation. It was pretty bad with my biopsy. Anything to take presurgery? Also has anyone unwrapped yet? My biopsy left my breast black! It was pretty shocking. What can I expect? I was looking for a perspective from you guys.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018

Zofran did nothing for me but they were able to give me Phenergan which worked instantly for the nausea. It was pretty difficult to vomit because my stomach was empty, plus it hurt!

One of my ‘new’ boobs has been fine, a little light bruising, the other one that still has the drain is a lot more bruised. Not black but very dark.

BTW that pink angel bear is adorable!

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited January 2018

Marlena-Time to take a deep breath. Irs natural to be anxious and scared. Try to focus on the best case scenario not the worst case. One of my biopsies was pain free with no bruising and the second biopsy was slight discomfort but severe bruising. He had to dig deep to locate the tumor. Your remark about the bald guy and the comb was hilarious. It cracked me up. Good luck to you tomorrow. Have a speedy recovery. We're all thinking of you and sending you our very best

• Marlena17
    edited January 2018

What should I expect when I wake up from surgery? What Will my breast feel like? My friend just had it done in September and was a model patient. She healed AMAZING and was moving about pretty quickly. I know everyone is different but I gotta say when I unwrapped from the biopsy and saw a blackened breast I was pretty freaked out!! I was told I’d have boobs from the expanders. I’am a smallish girl with uneven boobs thanks to my lastest biopsy so the ps will “over expand” the smaller one. Is it hard to look at them without getting upset? I know these are weird questions!! Lol

• ibis
    ibis Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018

Marlena, Yes, the anesthesiologist can give you meds to prevent nausea. I had three surgeries in the past year and no nausea. When the anesthesiologist comes to see you before surgery just be sure and emphasize you want anti-nausea medication. I took Fibercon (generic isCalcium Polycarbophil) 2tabs morning and night to prevent constipation while on narcotics, I even brought doses for the overnight stay in hospital. My MX site was very bruised, but it is almost resolved now.Best to you and all having surgery this week.

• Marlena17
    edited January 2018

thanks Jo6359 I try to always have a sense of humor! I am Italian,neurotic and a single mom of a 13 yo and 11 yo who make me CRAZY and do hair so I have a tricky time staying calm. I do appreciate to kind words. I just want to know I won’t get sick,and I will have some kind of breasts. I am visual that’s why I do hair. Book smart I am not so I can’t be calm when my hair is wrong or my breasts are bruised. I am grateful for this group. Please bear with my nuttiness. It’s just till Wednesday!!!!

• Marlena17
    edited January 2018

ty over70. I will surely ask if I can take the fibercon as well as stress the anti nausea meds.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

OMG-Im book smart and pretty much keep my hair in a ponytail or fastened to my head.. As long as I can read , run, work and play with my furbabies I'm pretty much a happy camper. I have decided to have my long hair cut very short prior to BMX on 1/22/18. Living alone and trying to manage long hair post-op I thought would have been too much of a pain in the neck. Hair grows back so I'm okay with it. Im with you when its comes to nausea, weak stomach. So prior to surgery I will ask my anesthesiologist to give me something for nausea.

• Dlpaquette
    Dlpaquette Member Posts: 71
    edited January 2018

I am having a BMX on Tuesday January 23rd, I will be getting tissue expanders but am still undecided on which type of reconstruction, I was told that I would be out of work 3 to 4 months with the DIEP and I don't know if I will still have a job after being out 5 weeks for my BMX then another 3 to 4 months for the DIEP. Is 3 to 4 months accurate? I have not talked to the PS who does the DIEP yet, my consult is Jan 30.

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2018

Marlena17 you may already know this but since you’re getting a mani/pedi, be sure to not get color or gel for your manicure. I had never had surgery and it didn’t occur to me that I couldn’t until the nurse called before surgery and told me I could have clear or no polish. I had immediate reconstruction and they filled it a little but my breasts are very small right now and look very different. I wouldn’t say they upset me (I didn’t really like the way they looked before) but it’s very strange to see them. I know they’ll eventually look totally different again. I didn’t have any nausea but I asked about it before surgery and they said they could give me something if I needed it.Good luck to you and all who are having surgery this week!!!

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Hi Marlena, It’s all a bit overwhelming, you will feel much better when you are through with this phase. The anestheologist will call or see you at the doc office before surgery. He asked me about any meds I take and do I have any allergies and have I had any issues with nausea. I haven’t had any reaction myself but they gave me a prescription for zofran. When I had the IV needle in my hand they asked if I was nervous and I blurted out DUH! Fortunately the nurse thought that was funny and they gave me anti anxiety meds through the IV right away. They also gave me an antibiotic the same way and I remember the anaesthesiologist saying he was giving me an anti nausea shot in the IV too. Next thing I was waking up in recovery and I had a sore throat from intubation which lasted a few hours...I brought lozenges for that. No nausea and didn’t even fill the scrip. No pain. Muzzy and sleepy. I am taking ibuprofen every 6 hours and an oxycodone to help me sleep. Drains down to 30 cc ....that’s it, feeling ok, much better than I expected and I was a basket case last Tues!! You’ll do great. Jude x hugs
  • Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Just before I go to bed, thinking of all who are having surgery next week, wishing for good outcomes and healing for everyone.
    Jude x
  • Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018

Marlena17 - I also spent this weekend cleaning, shopping, laying out clothes within arm reach, moving stuff to counter level, and putting toilet paper on a little bench next to the seat, because I won't be able to reach the back wall for a few days, LOL. Am I anxious about tomorrow? Yep. But that train has come and gone. I'm as ready as I'll be. I started taking colace 100 mg twice a day starting yesterday and plan to continue for the next week or till I stop narcotics. Also, it's been said here before, but remember to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water/fluid a day. Not just to combat constipation, but for recovery in general. Best to everyone going in this week. I'll see you all in the other side post op! You can do this Marlena. I'll wave to you coming into Cooper as I'm going out the door. Sharon

• AnnieTater
    AnnieTater Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2018

Hi everyone!

Good to hear that many of you are recovering well!

I am three weeks (and three days) out from a bmx with expanders. I'm still in a fair amount of pain, especially at the end of the day. But only on aleve for the last two weeks. Sleeping flat on bed, better every week. But recovery has felt slow for me.

I started back at work last week and it was okay. I love working but I often hit a wall and need a long nap in the afternoon.

Meeting with an oncologist at Barnes today for a 2nd opinion on chemo. This is my 2nd round with BC (lumpectomy and AC+ T last year).

Much love to you all!

• RedJo40
    RedJo40 Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2018

Marlena17, I get pretty nauseous from anesthesia so I ask for a motion sickness patch and emend. Then once I’m awake I get phenegran (?). Praying you want be sick. The first time you stand up is always the hardest. I will be thinking of you Wednesday. Prayers for everyone having surgery this week. I’m down to 60 hours. Ready to have this behind me. After my first mastectomy I woke up to a b/c cup which was more than I expected. After the first infection I woke up to an a. After second infection I woke up to counting my ribs. I’m normally a D. I’ll be happy to be a b/c after DIEP and a flat tummy

• Quiltingnut
    Quiltingnut Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018

Thanks to all for sharing their experiences. My surgery is scheduled for Friday morning. Im getting more anxious every minute. For those that had to have the injection before surgery was it as awful as some has said? I sure worry about that. I guess I’m a wimp. Lol. In my case I have had so much pain and it worsens everyday. So bad that i am already taking narcotics for it. So in reality I’m ready for these boobs to come off so hopefully this pain will go away. They never did tell me why I’m having so much pain. I’m having both removed although they only found cancer in my left. (No reconstruction I worry about the right though after reading other stories. They didn’t do an MRI. My surgeon said it wasn’t necessary since i was having them both removed anyway. Wishing you all well and peace and faith for those whose surgeries are coming up. I will also update after mine.

• Kyates
    Kyates Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2018

Hello Everyone,

The dye injection was the worst part of surgery day for me. The good news is it's over quickly. I had the motion sickness patch behind my ear and I got to wear it for 48 hours. I also came home with a prescription for phenegren. I had very mild nausea and I ended up taking one phenegren.. I'm 11 days post surgery (partial mastectomy with reconstruction and reduction on the other breast) Im pretty wimpy and I have done well with Tylenol 3 and extra strength Tylenol.

I may not always respond, but I always read everyone's comments. You ladies have inspired me, given me courage, and touched my heart in a special way and I am so thankful for the commaradie that I have found here. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    edited January 2018

QuiltingNut,

I didn't even feel the needle from the dye injection. It's true that I must have a high threshold for pain (I've only learned that from this experience), but some people do handle it just fine. Hopefully your pain will be minimal. Also, it went really really quickly so keep that in mind too. Even if it hurts, it will be over quickly.

Oh, one other thing, my weak point is IV's. I hate them and they are the worst for me. I told my nurse that and she gave me a numbing shot in my vein before inserting the IV. That was the first time anyone had done that for me and it made the whole process so much better. Just something to keep in mind....

R

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 273
    edited January 2018

Hi Quiltingnut,

My lumpectomy surgery is this Friday also, had pre-op today. I have to have a wire localization procedure (outpt) first, and then the sentinel node biopsy mapping. Supposedly I'll already be numb from the localization when I get the injection for the mapping. I'm also getting nervous. When I had this done on my leg for the melanoma surgery the pain wasn't too bad but being in the breast is a much more sensitive area. Hopefully, we'll both make it through fine. Good wishes for Friday, and to all others this month. I'll come back when I can and give a report.

• Marlena17
    edited January 2018

Philaflash,I just texted Helen. She didn’t tell me about colace. I am freaking out! No words. Not handeling this well! I apologize to all. Gotta take a nerve pill. What time are you scheduled? BEST to you Sharon!!!!!!!!!!! XO

• Rebdray
    Rebdray Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018

I had mine on the 9th. I can’t believe how horrible this process has been :(

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018

Marlena17- I'm the first case at 9am tomorrow. Have to be there at 6am, then get sentinel node injection at 7:15. They told me to take a xanax before I go. I'll also frost the cupcakes sky high with EMLA before leaving home. Helen didn't tell me to take colace. It's over the counter and can be used to help prevent constipation after the pain killers. Best to you on Wednesday. We can share war stories afterwards. I suspect we'll both look back and say our fears were worse than the reality. At least I hope so. Best to everyone this week. Sharon

• trinitymom2
    trinitymom2 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2018

hello, I have surgery on the 26th, right lumpectomy then radiation. I have Stage 1 Grade 3 ( triple negative). I wish you a speedy recovery and glad surgery went well. I am more nervous for the Savi Scout on Thursday, I stress over needles. This forum has been great and helpful.

• MayDayMelK
    MayDayMelK Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2018

Philaflash, I think my favorite quote about all this shall now be "I'll frost the cupcakes sky high with EMLA..." LOL.

• Marlena17
    edited January 2018

I’am going to do it!!!!!!! Frost the cupcakes!!

• Marlena17
    edited January 2018

thanks Sharon! My boyfriend has been telling me that for 3 days!!!! Stay bra easy,YOU GOT THIS!! We have AWSOME docs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!👩⚕️I HOPE I am that early!!!!

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

I didnt realize the Sentinel Node injection was so painful. I have been so focused on the BMX that I really hadn't thought much about the SNB. Hopefully when this is all over with we will all laugh about it and said the pain wasn't as bad as we were expecting. Many thanks to all the ladies who gave pre and post-surgery advice. I have a little basket filled with Arnica Gel , disinfecting wipes, chap stick, immodium, colace, Ace compression bandage ( just in case), Kindle, oversized soft cotton shirts and hoodies. Can you think of anything else?

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited January 2018

Greetings from the February, 2015 surgery group. I did not find the dye injection to be painful, for what it's worth. You are really at the scariest part of all of this. In a few months you'll be like, "Yeah, sure, remove the chemo port in your office while we chat, what do I care?"

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018

DEC 22

Madre9295.

DEC 29

AnnieTater

JAN 2

LittleLori.

over70

Talley76

JAN 3

D1974

1-Greenmom

JAN 4

Lovelife4

Valntine

JAN 5

Hopfull2

MoniThor

brenbren1113

JAN 8

houmom

nifer

JAN 9

Debcesq

Boobolympics

JAN10

shadie

blessedmomma

Rockcity

LoveCanada

JAN 11

Kyates

JAN 12

arkansasgal

JAN 16

rdeesides

Dskvarla

Judeshome

JAN 17

Sfrankie

JAN18

HollyDolly

Sherribee

May07

JAN 22

Kmajor

Miranda2060

JAN 23

Dipaquette

Savedbygrace197

Philaflash

JAN 24

Marlena17

Zoisite

Dm39

JAN 25

RedJo40

StrongJess

JAN 26

Trinitymon2

Veeder14

Quiltingnut

JAN29

jo6359

JAN30

Maggie2

Spazcat

JAN31

MayDayMe

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Hi all who have surgery coming up...you might want to remember some throat lozenges, my throat hurt for a couple of days because of the intubation, also you will need a pillow to put between your chest and seatbelt to go home. I keep updating the list!! Let me know if I make any mistakes or miss anyone off the list accidentally. Jude