Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Options

Comments

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018
    Options

Mel they did the SNB separately for me to determine whether I would need radiation, because my plastic surgeon didn’t want to do an immediate BMX/recon if I was going to need rads (he was going to do a lumpectomy then go back for the BMX/DIEP recon).

• Ghionik
    Ghionik Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2018
    Options

I got fitted for camisole bras that have pockets inside for holding drains. My insurance paid for 2 of these. I think it’s standard for insurance to cover them for mastectomy patients. I was surprised they even allowed for 2! One for wear, one for wash. I lived in those for weeks! I’m keeping them in case I have drains again when I have my exchange surgery

• Shadie
    Shadie Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2018
    Options

Maggie2, it is the Elizabeth Pink Surgical bra. It has velcro closings in the front, on the sides, and for the straps, and you can attach your drains to it, too, without pins. I woke up from my surgery wearing one, and they gave me a second one.

I had asked my surgeons in advance about getting a mastectomy bra/camisole, and they said it was not necessary, since I would be getting them at the hospital. So I didn't buy any mastectomy underwear.

I did buy two cotton Fruit of the Loom - Comfort Front-Close Sports Bras from Walmart (about $8/each) in advance from Walmart. I have since worn one post surgery, and found it comfy, so I ordered a couple more to wear when the drains come out. The Elizbeth bra is adjustable on the sides, and there is a small "cut out" for the drains, so I have found it reasonably comfortable right now.

I think one of the challenges re: purchasing undergarments for this surgery is that you really don't know in advance what/where are on your torso will/will not be sensitive/hurt. I tried to hedge my bets by spending a limited amount in advance, and hoped that it would work out--so far, my bet has been successful.

• houmom
    edited January 2018
    Options

My PS sent me home with an extra bra and extra binder and neither fit!

• LittleLori
    LittleLori Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello January Ladies! I just this found group, so I’m a little late. I had my lumpectomy on January 2nd and all went as expected. Pain meds day of and day after surgery, switching to ibuprofen after that. Still a bit of swelling and seroma present, but feeling good and anious to move on to phase two—radiation. Hope you all had, or will have, uneventful surgeries and recover well. Hugs and healing to you all!

• MayDayMelK
    MayDayMelK Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2018
    Options

That makes sense Houmom. I just wonder if he will even if he thinks the lesions aren't anything to worry about since it keeps swelling off and on and is painful!

• Madre9295
    Madre9295 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I am wondering if I can join this group since the December group isn’t very active. My surgery was December 21st so I am 5 1/2 weeks post surgery. I had bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. They gave me a camisole in the hospital that had drain pouches that Velcroed off to the sides. My favorite thing to wear post op was a short robe that I got at Walmart. I turned it insideout and the pockets were perfect to hold the drains. Plus it was so soft that it was the only thing that didn’t hurt my skin.

The reconstruction was the Pedical TRAM procedure and so far I have been pretty happy even though the new girls are not the same size yet. What is throwing me for a loop right now are all the weird sensations that I am having. It is like I have a clear rigid board stuffed in my pants and shirt (from above pubic bone to the sternum). It also feels like I have on a metal band where a bra underwire would be but with empty plastic cups. I don’t know if these sensations will lessen/change with time. My PS is amazing as a surgeon but needs lessons on how to answer questions....not much help for describing what to expect.

Let me know if you you have any questions about drains. I had four and they said that they would only be in 1-2 weeks and just had my last one removed last week.

Thanks for listening! Praying for quick healing and good results for all

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Options

DEC 21

Madre9295

DEC 29

AnnieTater

JAN 2

LittleLori.

over70

Talley76

JAN 3

D1974

1-Greenmom

JAN 4

Lovelife4

Valntine

JAN 5

Hopfull2

MoniThor

brenbren1113

JAN 8

houmom

nifer

JAN 9

Debcesq

Boobolympics

JAN10

shadie

blessedmomma

Rockcity

LoveCanada

JAN 11

Kyates

JAN 12

arkansasgal

JAN 16

rdeesides

Dskvarla

Judeshome

JAN 17

Sfrankie

JAN18

HollyDolly

Sherribee

May07

JAN 22

Kmajor

Miranda2060

JAN 23

Dipaquette

Savedbygrace197

Philaflash

JAN 24

Marlena17

Zoisite

Dm39

JAN 25

RedJo40

StrongJess

JAN 26

Veeder14

Quiltingnut

Veeder14

JAN29

jo6359

JAN30

Maggie2

Spazcat

JAN31

MayDayMel

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2018
    Options

Welcome Madre 9295! It’s good to hear from someone a few weeks out and know what to expect. I’m about a week and a half out now and I just now feel like I’m getting my pain under control, expect pain/irritation at the drain sites. They said they hope to remove 2 drains this week and 2 the following week, and I’m scared about the possibility that they won’t come out so soon. My PS gave me a Lidocaine cream yesterday to numb the sites and that has helped some.

Tips from others have also been sohelpful. I ordered the hoodie from Kmart and the pink pockets today and I can’t wait for them to arrive!

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello Melissa-Im having BMX without reconstruction. How many drain tubes did you have and how long do they stay in? Do you measure the fluid from the drains? Do you change your bandages at home or is that done on the first followup visit? Thanks for sharing your info postop. Welcome

• MayDayMelK
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Madre! It's great to have someone with that experience on here!

What else is everyone doing to pass the time right now waiting on results/surgery/recovery? My oldest with Autism has a trip coming up and everyone is buying matching shirts but we didn't have the $ soooooo, I made my own lol. The kids got a tie dye kit for Christmas and we worked on them yesterday and just unrolled and rinsed them tonight. They need to be touched up with a bleach pen to outline the Mickey head but the kids are happy! Not bad for old undershirts. I'm gonna try to attach a picture of them.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018
    Options

Jude- thanks so much for keeping the January surgery group updated. You are recuperating from your own surgery and you still make the time to do this for all of us. It is very much appreciated.

• houmom
    edited January 2018
    Options

Cute shirts Mel! Welcome Madre. I’m almost 2 weeks out and just have that one pesky drain left. I’m hoping it will come out on Tuesday but it’s not looking good. I will ask if I can get some lidocaine cream for it (thanks LoveCanada).

I do feel tightness of the muscles underneath the skin between the chest and the lower incision. It’s the most relaxed after I have been sleeping in bed for a few hours. I have also had some occasional pain but I’m still so soon after surgery.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi Jo, I’m feeling ok and it is no trouble at all to update. I had a BMX with no recon or nodes taken out and I have 2 drains. They are annoying but my output is under 20 ccs now so will likely have them out on Monday. My BS taped the tubing so there is a loop taped to my skin below where it comes out below my incisions. This means that when I strip the drains I can hold the tubing loop firmly which prevents it hurting and irritating the hole the tube comes out of. The drainage started out bright red but is now pinky straw color. It is a bit gross but not as bad as I anticipated. The worst thing was constipation which I took colace 100 mg 2 times daily and prune juice. The norco or oxycodone will do it to you...I am just taking ibuprofen 600mg every 6 hours and 1 oxycocone before going to sleep (in the recliner). My BS ordered an amoena Patricia compression bra which cost $130!! which will apparently be refunded. It was like an instrument of torture...I call it ‘the iron maiden’! Anyway, couldn’t bear it anymore so now have an ace bandage for compression. Let me know if you have any other questions. Jude
  • jo6359
    edited January 2018
    Options

Jude-Glad you are doing okay. I will ask BS to tape the drains. Im going to buy an Ace compression bandage. Even though your description of the bra was hilarious

• StrongJess
    StrongJess Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi all,

I will be having surgery next Thursday Jan 25th. I will be having an excision biopsy of a 8mm lesion, as well as breast duct excision. Hoping they will be able to go in with one incision but the surgeon says it depends on wire placement. So I suppose I won’t know until I wake up and it’s all done.

I have purchased a front zipping bra, and gotten ice packs.

Any other helpful hints on how to prepare or things that might help with recovery?

Good luck with everyone having surgeries this month

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Just thought of something else Jo, a container of disinfecting wipes is handy for keeping thedrain area clean. I use a strip from one to squeeze the drain tubing contents into the drain reservoir. There are youtube demos available if you google.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018
    Options

Jude- Good to know about the disinfecting wipes. Will add to my list

• 1-greenmom
    1-greenmom Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello all!,

I hope everyone is doing well no matter what state you are at. I’m now almost 3 weeks out and still having horrible pain. I think I tried to do to much when I got home. I keep hearing all these stories about little or no pain or just using Tylenol. I would live that but my body isn’t ready. I’m not sure if it’s from having a second surgery hours after my double mastectomy. And spending over a week in the hospital??

I’m finally getting used to having 2 hard boobs and an elephant sitting on my chest!

Does anyone have itching problems? Sometimes it’s on the surface which I can use a back scratcher and Benadryl for. Other times they feel deep inside my numb boobs and I just can’t get the itch. Anyone tried any other itching meds?

Everyone keep healing and be strong. Oh and also to those getting their drains out...yay!

Thanks, Kristie

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks to all of you, especially Shadie, houmom, and Judeshome for the suggestions as to what helps out for the recovery. I've started a shopping list for a trip to Walmart and my pinkpepper pillow and pinkpockets are being delivered this week.

Kmajor and Miranda2060: Wishing you all the best for tomorrow.

• Madre9295
    edited January 2018
    Options

Ladies, first of all I messed up on the dates-I am 4 1/2 weeks post op not 5 1/2 which weirdly made me happy because I was feeling like I should be doing better at almost 6 weeks Anyhoo...

Jo, I had four drains, two right by the hip bones, two under the fold of the new breasts, almost under the armpits. Yes, we measured the fluid three or four times in 24 hours and he wanted less than 30 cc's per 24 hours to remove. Also, something I didn't know was even though both lower ones were ready on the same day, they wanted 24 hours between removal of those since they are somewhat connected. I think we went to see him every day and one week because of that...1 hour drive🙄

My PS did the first dressing change a week after surgery then had me (hubby) do it once a week after.

Mel-love the shirts! I crochet animals and hats to keep my hands busy...made this for my nurse-pink bear for cancer survivor, angel bear b/c she lost a baby...image

Random thoughts-I would have LOVED lidocaine for drain site! Ask for that! They didn't do any compression, is that bad?? Also, one of my best friends for drains was a light jacket that I got in the workout section at Walmart. It had INSIDE pockets as well as outside! Best thing ever! I checked at Walmart today and they still had some even though I bought mine 5 years ago!

Praying for wonderful outcomes!!!

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Kristie, I’m about a week and a half out and I also have continued to have a lot of pain. Although I feel like it’s mostly managed now, I’m still taking a lot of meds and don’t feel near ready to go to just Tylenol. I also had a lot of itching initially but I used a back scratcher and tried to deal with it the best I could because I react badly to Benadryl. Fortunately for me, most of the itching seemed to be because of bandages and got better after I took them off and started showering. I didn’t have as much internal itching. I hope you’re able to get some relief soon!

Courtney

• houmom
    edited January 2018
    Options

I have to change my dressings daily like they did in the hospital, my husband was doing it after my daily shower each day until today when I was finally able to shower alone (with him standing by!). My lower drains were in a very difficult place, I could not have worn underwear with them on Loopy the upper two are an inch below the breast fold and a couple inches in from my side. The skin where I had them (except the one I still have) has closed up nicely. I was lucky to get 3 out in one day, the PS had told me they only did 1 at a time but they were causing me so much stress that I think they felt bad for me.

• Madre9295
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi again, just thought of 2 more things: the hospital have me all the drains supplies when they taught us how to milk/strip them-then my PS office gave us more of the drain supplies and dressing supplies (at the first visit post op).

TMI alert!!

The other thing is constipation issues. I had such horrible experience after my second child that I required surgery later. So I was terrified that it would happen again. I take 500mg of Magnesium everyday but check w ur doc. I also took 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with an Emergn-C packet for a couple of days before surgery and every day after surgery for a week. Luckily, I’ve been able to maintain the perfect balance of being able to go and not having to push. Sorry to be graphic it is worth it to avoid cystocele surgery again...

• houmom
    edited January 2018
    Options

I just took a Dulcolax softener twice a day, they gave me them (and Pepcid) in the hospital too.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018
    Options

Im going to be alone. Will I be able to change my bandage?

• jo6359
    edited January 2018
    Options

Madre-Love the bear. Good luck to all the ladies having surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi Jo, wait and see what the BS says, I was given instructions post op in recovery...everything went in one ear and into the ozone! Good thing I got written instructions too which say to keep the compression bra on...I am using the Ace bandage instead. I manage to put this on again when I take it off to use the disinfecting wipes under my arms as I am not allowed to take a shower. Just use a safety pin to secure the end as you wrap it around and secure the velcro closure. I bet they give you something for compression, the Elizabeth bra looks much more comfortable. Feel free to message me if you have any questions as we have the same procedure...happy to help. Jude
  • jo6359
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks Jude. I appreciate it.

• MayDayMelK
    edited January 2018
    Options

Madre, that bear is adorable and so very sweet of you!!!
    I'm so grateful you guys are sharing your tips and experience!