Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Comments

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Welcome to Haven and ClaireBear, glad you found us!
    Thinking of all who are having surgery this week, sending good vibes and healing thoughts to you all. The waiting is SO much worse than the procedure itself, I have a way over active imagination and it was hard keeping it under control during the days before.
    Keeping busy and meditation was the key for me. Jude
  • maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2018

Philaflash, you must be Wonder Woman in disguise! How did you give an update from recovery?

jo-  I totally agree!

Jude- you have been such a help.  Thank you for all your advice, helpful tips, and insights.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018

Just got back from having my final drain out!!! Also saw the breast surgeon who said they didn’t find any additional cancer other than what wasn’t imaged, and both tumors were smaller than measured too, so I back to being stage 1A which is great. Also got the go-ahead to begin silicon scar strips on my stomach incision.

Regarding pre-op testing, before the outpatient SNB I just had blood work. For the BMX/DIEP it was bloodwork and an EKG.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2018

houmom, Congrats on getting that last drain out!!  I think the drains have me most nervous about my upcoming surgery. It sounds as if the drains can be the most uncomfortable aspect of the whole recovery process.

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited January 2018

Marlena- Philaflash is communicating while in recovery. She is tough. I cannot thank all the ladies who have share their experiences with us. Sharing your experiences does make it easier for us.

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018

I'm not so tough...still waiting on room to be ready. Lol. Just saw surgical site. What I expected.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Philaflash- you still get my vote for toughness or kickbutt anesthesia. I hope you continue with your posts.

• Philaflash
    edited January 2018

Houmom or others - what's are silicon scar strips? (Still room waiting)...

• houmom
    edited January 2018

I bought them at CVS, it’s a silicone strip 1 inch by 6 inches, you put them over your scar once it’s closed up to try and reduce the final scarring. Right now though, they feel more like a little extra security blanket since they removed the tape from my wound today and I just want that little extra safety net!

• houmom
    edited January 2018

Regarding drains, some of them were more bothersome than others. The one that came out today was the worst, the skin around it was just so tender, and I was constantly worried about it coming out.

• Quiltingnut
    Quiltingnut Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018

For those who are or had both breast removed but only cancer in one. My question is should a SNB be performed on the supposedly good breast? My cancer is on left side and they only did mammogram on right side. I was wondering what would happen if turns out I have cancer in right side also but no SNB done? Should I worry?

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2018

Humm, they checked my "good" side as well. Not sure what the norm is or if there even is one.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Good question. Im having a BMX and SNB right breast, 2 small Cancers in R breast. I didn't even think about the SNB in the left or the so called good breast. I'm calling my SO tomorrow.

• Marlena17
    Marlena17 Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2018

Glad to hear the great news Pholaflash!!Way to go and YAY to Doc Brill!!!!!! I’am ready to get this show on the road!! 7:00 I’ll be checking in! Look for me :) hey did you get sick?? They better load me up on the anti nausea meds! BEST to Zoisite and Dm39 tomorrow!! Hey why when you are told “no food or drink after 12:00” do you panic and want to eat and drink???? I guess I am a tiny bit neurotic!

• Marlena17
    edited January 2018

jo6359 we have the same team of doctors at the same hospital!!! Crazy!!! Ok,I’am going to do all you guys proud. I’am going text from recovery to!

• MayDayMelK
    MayDayMelK Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2018

Houmom, I used the silicone strips with my oopherectomy/hysterectomy and although I have a collagen defect and generally scar (tons of stretch marks and scars from simple junk) they seemed to really help and you can't even see my incision marks from that surgery. If I have to have a MX I definitely want to use them again. I also used kinesio tape around the outside edge of my waist to relearn my limits of bending if that makes sense.
    Glad to see everyone healing so well. I see the surgeon tomorrow to get the run-down of what his plans are.

• SavedbyGrace1972
    SavedbyGrace1972 Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2018

Morning girls

Update on surgery!!! Yesterday 1/23 was my bilateral mastectomy and it was a success! The surgeon only had to remove the sentinel node as no others appeared to have any involvement. Still in hospital but should be leaving today!!! Just going to patiently wait on the final pathology report on the tumors!!! Then on to the next phase of treatment!!!

We got this ladies!!!

• Marlena17
    edited January 2018

just had nuclear injection!!!!!! CAKE!!!!!!!!!

• Philaflash
    edited January 2018

Way to go, Marlena! Only glitch was the eight hour wait for my room.

• houmom
    edited January 2018

Great to hear two more good reports!

• Quiltingnut
    Quiltingnut Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018

Happy to see those done with surgery doing so well! Y’all do give me good vibes. Lol. Wishing everyone else scheduled the best.

• Philaflash
    edited January 2018

Day 1 - about 20 hours post BMX and SNB with TEs. I have two drains: one on each side. Aside from sleep deprivation and being woken for one thing or another every hour and a half, so far, I feel better than expected. I'm on Tylenol here every 6 hours and oxycodone every four hours as needed. I've stretched oxy to five hours - not worth it. Take it at recommended times. Plenty of time to be a hero later. Had PT and OT consults. Walked the halls and climbed up and down stairs. I should be cleared to go home later this afternoon. Drains are no fun. We can do this, ladies! Sharon

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

keep us posted. Speedy recovery.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Philaflash- glad to hear you are doing great.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Savedbygrace- i hope you are discharged today.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Monday morning I will be at msmc ready for my surgery. Im very pleased with my SO and MO. Are you staying one or two nights? Dr. Mesko had told me I would probably stay two nights. My goal is 1 Night.

• Philaflash
    edited January 2018

My surgeons send you out after one night if BMX with or without TEs. That's assuming you eat, drink, pee, etc. Flaps are a whole 'nother story. Good luck.

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2018

So glad to see everyone that’s doing well! Today it’s been 2 weeks since my surgery and yesterday I started feeling much better. It was the first day I didn’t take any pain meds except Tylenol, until I went to sleep when I took pain med just to be safe. I had 2 drains removed today and the other 2 should come out next week- even going down to 2 is a big improvement though! All this to say, the past 2 weeks have been really hard, more than I was prepared for, but it does get better!

Courtney

• lg10
    lg10 Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2018

Hey everyone. I wanted to see if I could be added to the group. I've been waiting for a surgery date and just got it--1/30. So soon! I am 31 and will be getting a UMX on my right breast. I will also have a sentinel node biopsy that morning. I've been following this group for awhile and admire your courage and willingness to be so supportive during such a hard time.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

lg10-Im sorry you had to join our group. Dealing with cancer is tough at any age. Being so young makes it even more difficult. This group is so supportive and they helped me get through my late night anxieties. We will support you.