Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Comments

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018

Flushable moist toilet paper (I don’t know the correct name for it).

The radioactive dye was painful going in, but the pain is over once it’s in. I took long deep breaths to get through it. They didn’t do the blue dye until I was already sedated.

• Marlena17
    Marlena17 Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2018

I just got up thinking of Philaflash. We have the same doc’s and same hospitalTomorrow it’s my turn. I am not scared for the surgery,it’s the living after. I HAD a sentinel node biopsy in 2012. She did it prior to my BMX that I NEVER had done bc I got sick the week before my surgery,then got divorced and lost my insurance so we have been “watching” ever since. Now,my latest greatest biopsy showed lot’s of LCIS. BMX day is almost here again. I was mentally ready but not physically,now I am physically ready but not mentally. Instead of focusing on the positive I am hearing clients talk about rejection of expanders,matronly looking breasts,pain and tightness around their chest. I am worried .

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018

Just got SNB injections. Used EMLA and they used freezing spray. Seven out of the eight injections were painless. Eighth stung a few seconds. You can do this, Marlena17! Off to surgery in a few. Best to all.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018

Hang in there Marlena, you are going to be fine. Millions of women get this done, you're only hearing about the bad ones! You're young and healthy in every other way, you have every chance of a great outcome. I swear!

• Marlena17
    Marlena17 Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2018

Ty houmom. Listen,it’s AMAZING! I have a 100 Lb BEAUTIFUL longhaired Weimaraner. This summer,he had a HORRIFIC,GORY,HARD TO LOOK AT FREAK accident. I’d post a pic but don’t think it’s permitted OR anyone could look at. He was “galloping” happily around my backyard when he ran under our trampoline. One of the U bolts was sticking out and caught his fur and TORE his whole side of his skin off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was unbelievable that he did not disembow himself. The skin,flesh and tissue was HANGING there!! I was so calm. I made a tourniquet out of an old towel and belted it on with belt. My poor fur child went through 6 surgeries,necrotic skin,hundreds of stitches and open wound care pain meds and antibiotics. He has healed beautifully and thank you Jesus that all worked out. He has 2 tiny bald spots where the fur never grew back. I just can’t understand how I managed that ordeal but can’t get a handle on this. I am ranting I know. Deep down I know that I am in a sense “lucky” I won’t have to have any other invasive treatments and for that I feel blessed but as a single mom with no siblings I rely on my friends/clients who are WONDERFUL but I am just not as brave as you guys when it comes to me. I worry for the “what if ‘s” I do hair but am pretty consertive so after this surgery is over how will I feel/look/perform as a stylist,mom of 2 boys,dog walker,roller coaster rider,trampoline jumping,girlfriend,crazy,old,young woman? I can’t wait until this is over and I can reassure the next group that all was great! Ty for letting go off. I am still in cleaning mode. Irrational cleaning mode lol. My meal train friends have to see that even though I am crazy I don’t live that way 😀 Have a good day al

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited January 2018

Thanks Jude I will add lozenges and pillow to my list. How are you feeling?

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Im not brave but like the rest I want the surgery over with. Sorry to hear about your dogs freak accident. Its good to vent. I live alone. My friends will help out in the evening. Modtly caring for my 7 dogs and 3 cats. Soon you will be on the trampoline jumping with the kids.

• Quiltingnut
    Quiltingnut Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018

I have a question regarding a recliner. Mine is manual. Am i going to be able to pull the handle on it after surgery or will i have to have someone else do it for me? If that’s the case was wondering what i would do at night if i have to get up.

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2018

Quiltingnut, my recliner is also manual.  From reading the others' comments, I have assumed that I won't be able to use the handle on my own.  I bought a Brookstone 4in1 Bed Wedge from Bed Bath Beyond with their 20% off coupons.  I'll see next week how it works.  Has anyone else tried this, instead of buying an automatic recliner?

I've been wondering about preop testing, such as EKG, bloodwork, etc. I thought these were standard requirements before any surgery. When I asked the care navigator if I should be getting these scheduled, she said it's no longer done. My preop consult with the BS assistant is tomorrow , so I will obviously get confirmation then. Are these tests no longer routinely done?

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited January 2018

I am starting to get anxious about my Feb 1st surgery date. I’m most anxious for my lymph node status and the final staging of my cancer. Of course I am also anxious about healing and how my reconstruction will go as well. I must say this is the first time I have truly felt anxious in this process. I am also anxious regarding my family as my dad isn’t handling this well at all. We lost my mother (his wife of 43 years) suddenly last June. I never thought I would be dealing with cancer at 33. How did you ladies stay positive before surgery?

• Quiltingnut
    Quiltingnut Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018

maggie2

I had blood work, chest X-ray and ekg done Last week. They told me it had to be done before surgery. I’m sure they will order them for you too

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Maggie- I'm scheduled for BMX surgery January 29th. I had to do all the pre-op testing blood work EKG chest x-ray Etc. All of my tests had to be completed within 30 days of my surgery. My MO also ordered an echocardiogram to determine if my heart is healthy enough for chemo. I live in Miami.

• maggie2
    edited January 2018

jo6359, I am also having BMX, SNB, and immediate reconstruction on January 29.  I was hoping it would be the first surgery of the day, but it's at 2:30PM.  It will be a long morning sitting at the house waiting until it's time to go to the hospital. 

As for the preop testing, I'll find out tomorrow why my BS and PS no longer order them or I'll find out that they should have been ordered and now need to play catch-up.  The biopsies could not rule out IDC, but my MO is using the DCIS as the diagnosis, until the pathology gives the definitive answer. I know that may impact whether chemo is needed, but I can't imagine it has any correlation with preop tests. 

• ToughCookie101
    edited January 2018

It was my BS who requested lung X-ray, echocardiogram and cbc blood test. I’m going for that as part of my pre-op this Thursday,a week before surgery I’m in Canada and I think it is standard prior to surgery here, when possible of course.

• maggie2
    edited January 2018

ToughCookie, I too, am getting more anxious the closer it gets to surgery. The ladies that have already gone through this step in the process have said that the waiting is so stressful.  I saw on an earlier post that you had concerns as to how long the wait from diagnosis to surgery had become. It looks as if you and I have similar timelines. I've been taking the advice of others here, as to what preparations and clothing, etc are going to be helpful for coming home post surgery and getting the house organized. This site has been such a godsend for me with the support and advice that everyone offers. 

• Haven77
    Haven77 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2018

Hi everyone,

I have surgery schedule for Friday for lumpectomy and also get tubes removed. Long story I had the surgery for my tubes planned months ago and was just diagnosed so said they can kill 2 birds with one stone I have DCIS on my right breast and according to ultrasound only 8mm. They said they will not know about radiation or estrogen theraphy until they remove the tissue and can have a better look at it. How does everyone know their grade. I never saw my path report. It all happened so quick. I had an mri, ultrasound and biopsy all in the same day about 2 weeks ago. I am not to concerned about surgery but should be. Will be thinking of everyone this week

• Haven77
    Haven77 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2018

I also had to have blood work, chest x-ray and a ekg yesterday for part of the pre-op process for froday

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2018

I didn’t have blood work, X-ray, etc. before surgery.

Quiltingnut- my recliner isn’t electric but I just have to pull up the handle to release it, rather than one of the long handles that has to be pulled back (not sure how to describe it). But for the first few days, I left it up as much as possible and sat down and scooted back into it, or used my legs to push it down and get up, instead of my arms. I didn’t need help to get in and out of the recliner, it just took longer at first.

Maggie2- my surgery wasn’t until 11:30 and I was a little disappointed that it wasn’t first thing, but it gave me time to have coffee and take a long shower and make sure I had everything. I realize yours is later but that morning went by quickly. Hope yours does too

Haven77- my grade was on my pathology report, which my surgeon gave me. He couldn’t tell me the stage for sure until after surgery though. I asked and he said it was 1 at that time but would change if it was larger or nodes were involved, and it ended up being stage 2.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2018

Haven, yes, as LoveCanada said, staging is determined after surgery. You may find this page helpful to understanding what you'll learn in your pathology report, post surgery. Stages of breast cancer

Thinking of you all this week Medicating

• ibis
    ibis Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018

ToughCookie...I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. It's understandable that your father is worried about you after losing his wife. Hopefully, he will see that your bc is very treatable. As far as reconstruction, I had a good outcome on my left side last year , but during the expander process, I had many doubts and fears. Suppose I'll go through the same fears and uncertainty regarding my right TE and the outcome.

• maggie2
    edited January 2018

Wow, how could I get my surgery date mixed up?? Maybe I'm just trying to speed up this endless waiting:)  Especially to Jo6359, mine is not the same day as yours.  I'm scheduled for Tuesday, Jan 30.  

• ClaireBear47
    ClaireBear47 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2018

I am having a MX on the Right and a SNB this Friday January 26th-- with immediate reconstruction. My biggest fear--is it in my lymph nodes?? Of course then there is more waiting on the pathological report. Or can the docs tell at the time of surgery? I am thankful that I found this thread of January surgeries! I have only been diagnosed for a month and this has all been a whirlwind. XO

• RedJo40
    RedJo40 Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2018

I just got home from preop. This is my first surgery, I’ve had 7 in the last 16 months, that I had an ekg, chest x-ray, and blood type crossed and matched. I was told it’s because the surgery is 8-10 hours. I find meditation helps with the nerves and anxiety. Keeping busy has helped the time go by faster. The lab tech got a vein on the first try! Praying it’s the same for Thursday, my veins don’t like needles. So frustrating that they won’t use my port.

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2018

Hi ClaireBear, it felt like a whirlwind for me too! My surgeon told me before surgery that he could tell me right away about the lymph nodes. Right after surgery he did tell me they looked clear but he had to wait on the pathology to confirm (which I hadn't realized was going to happen for lymph nodes). I did feel better and it worked out for me, but sounds like he couldn't be sure at that time. It is scary though. Good luck!!

Courtney

• ToughCookie101
    edited January 2018

Maggie2, it does seem our timelines are similar! Sending you positive vibes. :)

Over70, glad to hear you are happy with the recon outcome! I was given the option of direct to implant but opted for expanders due to a bit less risk. On the plus side, I’m gonna upsize. I hope the TEs aren’t that bad.

ClaireBear, my surgeon told me that he can’t tell me for sure about my nodes until the full pathology report is back 2-3 weeks after surgery. He said that if there are micro mets they often can’t see them and want the full pathology to be sure. None of my nodes currently look enlarged on the MRI at least, that is a good sign but certainly nothing concrete.I have a post-op appt booked for Feb 22, three weeks after my surgery to get my full pathology and staging.

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Hi everyone, just a quick check in....it is a week today since my BMX...

Not in pain really, just a bit sore underarms with the occasional owie if I reach a little too far, taking 4-600mg ibuprofen every 6 hours. Feeling like I am wearing an iron bra with all the dressings which I guess will come off tomorrow. Dying for a shower and to wash my hair, sponge baths don’t really cut it.

My drainage has gone down steadily changing from red to now a straw color and only about 15 ml every 24hrs. I could have had the drains out yesterday but am seeing my BS tomorrow anyway for post op check and the nurse said it is ok to wait as we live far from town. My pathology came back with nothing invasive but DCIS all over L. Breast and some also in right breast which wasn’t seen before.....phew!
    Inactivity is hard to bear and this time of year is a bit depressing in the Pac NW with lots of rain, cold and grey etc., I would normally be busy in my studio. The cat is keeping me company and I am glad for all the crockpot soups I made before surgery and froze....I am not really interested in food but know it is important to keep nourished and hydrated. My DH is being very supportive he has helped me with drains and sponge baths. We talk about the way I will look after I am healed as I am not having reconstruction, we have been married 35 years.
    I am originally from England, went to Hawaii on vacation for a week, met my DH who was living on Maui, fell in love and got married three weeks later!
    I spend a lot of time on this site, reading all your posts and feeling that connection which makes us an exclusive club that no one would ever want to join. I am thankful for the support I have received here and hope to be a help to those who come after. Jude x
  • Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018

just had BMX and more biopsy. Made it to recovery. Waiting for a room. Sentinel Node frozen section negative. Woo woo!!! More

tomorrow, ladies. Doing ok on meds. Off to lala land!

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018

DEC 22

Madre9295.

DEC 29

AnnieTater

JAN 2

LittleLori.

over70

Talley76

JAN 3

D1974

1-Greenmom

JAN 4

Lovelife4

Valntine

JAN 5

Hopfull2

MoniThor

brenbren1113

JAN 8

houmom

nifer

JAN 9

Debcesq

Boobolympics

JAN10

shadie

blessedmomma

Rockcity

LoveCanada

JAN 11

Kyates

JAN 12

arkansasgal

JAN 16

rdeesides

Dskvarla

Judeshome

JAN 17

Sfrankie

JAN18

HollyDolly

Sherribee

May07

JAN 22

Kmajor

Miranda2060

JAN 23

Dipaquette

Savedbygrace197

Philaflash

JAN 24

Marlena17

Zoisite

Dm39

JAN 25

RedJo40

StrongJess

JAN 26

Haven77.

ClaireBear47.

Trinitymon2

Veeder14

Quiltingnut

JAN29

jo6359

JAN30

Maggie2

Spazcat

JAN31

MayDayMel

FEB1

ToughCookie

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Philaflash- you are tough. Enjoy LaLa land. Speedy recovery. Maggie- let's hope we're like Philaflash and texting while we're in recovery. LOL. Jude- always nice to hear your updates.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

Jude- if necessary will I be able to do my own bandage change at home?