Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Options

Comments

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Options

LoveCanada, glad to hear you are recovering and learning about recovery from those of us still to have surgery is so reassuring, thanks to all who are posting. Jude

• arkansasgal
    arkansasgal Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2018
    Options

Lovelife44 and LoveCanada - so glad to hear you are both doing well and getting strength back. Kyates I hope you got your Percocet. My lumpectomy went well yesterday, no lymph node and clean margins. I took a couple pain pills yesterday, but just taking some Tylenol today and icing. Best wishes to those on their upcoming surgery.

• Kyates
    Kyates Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2018
    Options

Happy to hear from everyone! Happy to hear that everyone came through their procedures ok, and are now recovering.

My procedure wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. Except the dye injection. It was very painful but was over quickly. The patch to prevent nausea was awesome. I was able to wear it until this morning. My nausea was minimal.

So thankful for this group! I have learned so much and I have gained the courage for this battle because all of you opened up and shared your stories. Thank you all for that!

Praying for all!

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 2,009
    edited January 2018
    Options

judeshome- Im having a BMX ( 2 tumors each 1.2 cm cancer R breast and SNB and L preventive on January 29. Hormone Neg and her+. Clean PET/CT scan. Im anxious about my SNB results. Im not looking forward to the pain but I want Tx to start. Port will be placed for Chemo. Its OK to be scared. Its been a month since my dx and I have experienced a few meltdowns. This forum has calmed me down and probably prevented a few anxiety attacks. NEVER apologize for being anxious, scared and overwhelmed. This is tough. I'm very glad that I have this forum to learn from others and hopefully to share with others.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Welcome Jo6359, I have added you to the list....

DEC 29

AnnieTater

JAN 2

over70

Talley76

JAN 3

D1974

1-Greenmom

JAN 4

Lovelife4

Valntine

JAN 5

Hopfull2

MoniThor

brenbren1113

JAN 8

houmom

nifer

JAN 9

Debcesq

Boobolympics

JAN10

shadie

blessedmomma

Rockcity

LoveCanada

JAN 11

Kyates

JAN 12

arkansasgal

JAN 16

rdeesides

Dskvarla

Judeshome

JAN 17

Sfrankie

JAN18

HollyDolly

JAN 22

Miranda2060

JAN 23

Savedbygrace197

Philaflash

JAN 24

Marlena17

Zoisite

Dm39

JAN 25

RedJo40

JAN 26

Quiltingnut

JAN29

jo6359

JAN30

Spazcat

• Judeshome
        edited January 2018
        Options

If anyone is interested and not doing recon, Flat and Fabulous on Facebook is a great resource

• jo6359
        edited January 2018
        Options

Thanks. Readin g others stories have helped me cope.

• Lovelife44
        Lovelife44 Member Posts: 10
        edited January 2018
        Options

thanks judeshome, yes please

• Marlena17
        Marlena17 Member Posts: 58
        edited January 2018
        Options

thank you so very much for your words. I am not mean,nasty or grouchy. Just SUPER SCARED! I met with my doctors yesterday for the last time before surgery. They are AWSOME! My plastic surgeon has eyes like JESUS! NOT A JOKE!!! Super blue and super calming!! Super understanding and sat with me for over 40 minutes to explain and re explain and laugh and understand. He is the head of plastics so I feel calm in that. I also met another hairdresser who happen to be upstairs getting her last chemo. A BEAUTIFUL woman,52 years young who seemed more zippy than me!! (I am 5 years younger) she was an inspiration. Back to work at 5 weeks and working full throttle! I am trying to embrace some extra help. My friends want to do a meal train!? I love my girlfriends! I am an only child to a 95 year old breast cancer survivor Italian mom and supper peppy 87 year old Naples Italy born dad. Cousins are all male and much older than me. Divorced with 2 young bacholer sons. My LOVES! I am the provider and caregiver. I am just freaked out that my clients will leave me,my breasts will look and feel to big for me,I won’t be able to cook and walk my 100 lb fur child dog or get out of bed to fix my hair! CRAZY how insanely nervous I am getting. I apologize to all of you guys for freaking out. I just don’t do sick or surgery well! Stay positive all!!!!!!!!!

• Dm39
        Dm39 Member Posts: 5
        edited January 2018
        Options

Hi all. I am scheduled for surgery 1/24/18. At first was sceduled for a lumpectomy with immediate reconstruction by my s.o. then my m.o. says I should do bilateral mx. I am freaking out a bit. Keep going back and forth in my mind. Might change my mind last minute. Really not looking forward to any of it.

• Judeshome
        edited January 2018
        Options
        OK Ladies, we are 35 strong! Hope everyone is doing well.
        Crockpot soup making again today so my DH doesn’t have to do too much cooking while I am recouperating next week. Brief respite yesterday for my b’day, out for Chinese dinner....Cleaning the house and laundry today, exercising while I can and guided imagery exercises (Preparing for Surgery by Dr M. Rossman on sounds true audio) extremely helpful in calming anxiety. I am ready to get this over with. Dskvarla and rdeesides, thinking of you surgery sisters and for everyone who is still waiting, peace and blessings to you. Jude x
      • rdeesides
        rdeesides Member Posts: 233
        edited January 2018
        Options

Thank you Jude. Everyone keeps asking if I’m ready and I keep saying what choice do I have. Let’s get this done so it can be behind us.

Best Wishes to you and Dakvarla. We can do this!

Rebekah

• jo6359
        edited January 2018
        Options

Im scared too. Less scared now but still scared of the unknown and the uncertainity of waiting. I worry about who's going to help me take care of my dogs. Like you, I have plenty of concerns; 7 dogs and 3 cats that requires a lot of time and care. I have to board 2 of my dogs because my friends are scared of them. Im worried about how long I will be out of work. Im self employeed, so there are no sick and personal days. I'm trying to make lists and get everything organized before going into the hospital in 2 weeks. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all the things that needs to be done. So I take take a deep breath and do one thing at a time. It helps me focus and it slows down my wild imagination. Im thankful for my friends kindness and the support from this forum. There are moments when I am grouchy and impatient. Mostly, Im scared.

Jude-you will be in my thoughts. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Nifer
        Nifer Member Posts: 15
        edited January 2018
        Options

I sympathize with you all. I was scared too. I'm almost 1 week post dmx. I feel so much better. Glad to have it behind me. Still uncomfortable but very manageable. I was worried about what I might need. Just wanted to pass on what I am finding most helpful...my neck pillow, hoodies with pockets inside are the easiest, lots of yoga pants and leggings, a cheap lanyard, a grabber tool, a cup with lid and straw, and a recliner. There are so many lists online but this is what I have really found to be a must. Good luck to you all. If I can do it so can you!! Thoughts and prayers to those having surgery tomorrow and this week!!

• arkansasgal
        edited January 2018
        Options

I was really scared as well, but my anxiety was far worse than any of the procedures, including the lumpectomy. I built everything up in my mind to be so much worse than it was. Try not to do what I did and be kind to yourself.

• LoveCanada
        LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
        edited January 2018
        Options

Good luck to those of you having surgery this week! You’re in my thoughts!! This is day 4 post-surgery for me. I’m still having some bad moments but for the most part, I’m feeling better and better. I had my first shower today and that was great. They said I could wash my hair but I was scared it would be too much because I have a lot of hair so I went to a salon by my house to get it washed and that helped me feel a lot better too. I agree with the tips from Nifer above- I didn’t buy a ton of stuff ahead of time because I knew I would have someone with me and wanted to see what I really needed. My husband bought me this robe too though and it’s been a lifesaver. It holds all my drains and covers me up and it is comfy enough to sleep and lie around in. A little pricey but totally worth the cost! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019YE3RIE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• blessedmomma
        blessedmomma Member Posts: 11
        edited January 2018
        Options

Hi January sisters,

It's been 5 days and I've been home about 36 hours from my single mastectomy with SNB and free tram flap reconstruction. So far, my surgery and recovery have been easier than I expected, for which I'm incredibly grateful.

Here are some of the things I can do, as of today:

• Get in and out of bed by myself
        • Sit in a chair, on a couch, etc, and get up by myself
        • Take a shower with a shower chair
        • Make coffee
        • Unload the dishwasher, most of the way, slowly and carefully
        • Let the dog out
        • Walk around the house
        • Nap like a champion
        • Manage pain with Advil and Tylenol during the day

Here are some things I can't do yet:

• Stay awake all day
        • Laundry
        • Drive a car, plane or motorcycle
        • Bench press over 5 pounds ; )
        • Climb Everest
        • Calculus

So, it is true, there are a couple things on the "can't do yet" list that I might not have been able to do before surgery either.

I'm making it fine in my own bed, no recliner, and without a grabber---I bend at the knees to the ground to pick things up, if I have to. I was given an Amoena "Alison" style camisole to hold drains and bought some zip-up caftans, both of which I'm absolutely loving. I stocked up on seltzer water and am really thirsty. Straws are fabulous.

Praying for all of you, especially those of you who feel overwhelmed by fear or the volume of things to do. This is hard, but you can do it. Each of us has her own feelings and her own path....you don't need to feel badly for feeling scared, acting grouchy, etc. Each one here is doing her best in her own situation. You aren't alone and I hope you'll find encouragement here, as I have, and pray that as each of us moves through our procedures most of us will find that our expectations proved more challenging than our reality.

• Kyates
        Kyates Member Posts: 16
        edited January 2018
        Options

Its great hearing from all of my surgery sisters and to hear how recovery is going. Im thankful that you are all doing well and love the advice that you are giving. I will add mine.

I would suggest bland foods. I can't take anything with a lot of flavoring or seasoning. For me its been instant oatmeal toast, bananas, apples, yogurts, milk, etc. I ate Popeyes chicken that someone was kind enough to buy. It really upset my stomach and I had to take a phenegren.

I finally got my Percocet but havent taken it. The worst of the pain was behind me by the time that I got it. Ive managed very well on Tylenol 3. The pain hasnt been nearly as bad as I expected. Thank God! Actually things have gone very well and I'm so thankful!

Please keep posting. You ladies are a great source of strength and inspiration to me.

• LoveCanada
        LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
        edited January 2018
        Options

Good morning ladies, are any of you having muscle spasms? Although I’m overall feeling better, I’m still having a lot of pain and every time I think I can reduce my pain meds, I quickly find out I’m not ready. They gave me Oxycodone for pain and Flexeril for muscle spasms but said I may not need have as many spasms because the TE was placed about the muscle. I tried the Flexeril once but it made me feel so high and crazy that I didn’t take it again and now am wondering if it would help me more. I’m just not sure how to differentiate between pain and muscle spasms. Thanks!!

• TWills
        TWills Member Posts: 509
        edited January 2018
        Options

Question for any of you ladies that had or will have flap surgeries. I was told no caffeine for six weeks post op, even decaf because there is no way to totally decaffinate something. No chocalate either. Has anyone else been told the same?

• Ghionik
        Ghionik Member Posts: 39
        edited January 2018
        Options

I’ve never been told no caffeine or chocolate. I had coffee the morning after my surgery in the hospital with breakfast.

• TWills
        TWills Member Posts: 509
        edited January 2018
        Options

Ghionik, did you have a flap surgery?

• miranda2060
        miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
        edited January 2018
        Options

Single mastectomy is scheduled for January 22. The plan is for nipple-sparing surgery with removal of some chest wall muscle (tumor number one, of two, is against chest wall). Having reconstruction (implant) at time of surgery.

I have confidence in the medical team, but some of the books I have been reading (is there such a thing as reading too much?) have made me wonder if I'm being rushed into surgery and specific choices. On the other hand, DIEP reconstruction was not an option because of possible need for radiation. And I am OK with that. Do most people get second and third opinions? I have no intention of delaying, however.

Scared, but much more scared of the staging and what will be discovered after surgery. Am almost unable to function at times for worry about that.Sad Trying to take one thing at a time.

The good thing is that I have wonderful support (darling husband) and a top-flight hospital. I was surprised to learn that they only keep you overnight and discharge you at 6 a.m. the next morning. It's clearly a lot different these days -- some of my ideas about breast cancer treatment are rooted in an older time (I'm 56).

• Shadie
        Shadie Member Posts: 31
        edited January 2018
        Options

Good luck to everyone having surgery this week!

To add to the purchase list: an old fashioned bath brush with a long handle. Has made washing my back, never mind my arms, legs, and underarms (I had no SNB) that much easier!

@LoveCanada: I also had the TEs placed above the muscle. I do not know if I am feeling muscle spasms, or alternatively, the nerves trying to regenerate. I have taken OTC meds, and otherwise have just grinned and bared it.

To anyone else who has had nipple sparing: I have been pleasantly surprised that I have some sensation there--I can feel it when I touch there. So this tip may spare some anxiety in others: I called my Doc because Righty overall, and the nipple in particular, does not look as good as Lefty. Righty is a little darker, and there is an area below the nipple that is dark, like the color of dried blood (but no blood or discharge.) I feared that this was the beginning of nipple necrosis, but the Doc said that as long as I still had nipple sensation in Righty, and the nipple did not feel hot/cold/started to pus/I did not feel a popcorn sensation in Righty, then the discoloration was within the range of normal. Am seeing the Doc tomorrow amyway, but this made me feel much better!

• blessedmomma
        edited January 2018
        Options

Hi Twills,

I've heard that some docs ask women to cut caffeine with flap procedures, b/c caffeine can cause some constriction in blood vessels. I've no idea to what extent this is true within all individuals, or to what extent it can be true in any one person. My doc (I just did a free tram flap) did not mention anything about restricting caffeine. Since I've seen other women talk about this, I've elected to limit myself to a single cup of coffee each morning (my usual preference is 2-3). I think this is an area, like showering and drain removal, where there are multiple possible approaches.

Best wishes with your surgery!

• blessedmomma
        edited January 2018
        Options

Hi Love Canada,

I wonder if your doc's office can help you differentiate between pain and muscle spasms and brain storm with you about alternative meds. If the flexeril is really unpleasant for you, I wonder what else is available? I was prescribed a different med for muscle spasms, but have been fortunate to have very minimal pain. I think some of this is about each person's natural pain tolerance (mine is very high) and response to meds (meds work well for me, usually at a low dosage). Some people naturally feel pain more readily than others and some people's bodies don't process meds as readily, so that more meds are needed. I've seen a range on these boards from some women being off everything but OTC meds while still in the hospital, to others who need several weeks of strong pharmacological support. From what I've read, it seems that listening to and following your body helps a lot. My doc's office also encourages max doses of OTC pain meds to help reduce needs for other pain meds, but check that with your own doc and medical history--it wouldn't be good advice for someone who had lots of stomach upset with Advil, for instance, or weak kidney function with Tylenol. Give your body what it needs to stay out of bad pain, for however long that is. There's no competition here, just each of us doing our best with the hand we're dealt ; ) Praying that your pain and muscle spasms will soon ease!

• jo6359
        edited January 2018
        Options

Continue to feel better and thanks for the updates. My thoughts are with Jude and the rest of you who are getting ready for surgery, recuperating from surgery abd planning treatment. Your sharing information makes it easier for the rest of us. It definitely makes it easier for me and less stressful. Many thanks

• Judeshome
        edited January 2018
        Options

Hi jo6359, I see us as scouts, sending back helpful information and comfortfor those who come after. I really found the CD I mentioned helpful especially for getting to sleep when stressed....which I definately will be tonight. Good luck to everyone this week, I will post when I am able. Jude x

• arkansasgal
        edited January 2018
        Options

Hugs to our sisters having surgery tomorrow -- Rdeesides, Dskvaria and Judeshome. Sending loving and healing thoughts your way.

• Judeshome
        edited January 2018
        Options

Thanks arkansasgirl....how are you doing