Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Options

Comments

• AnnieTater
    AnnieTater Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello to the new folks! I hope all the Jan 5th surgeries went smoothly. Thinking of y’all.

I had my bmx with tissue expander last Friday, eight days ago.

I am definitely getting better everyday. I’m not allowed to shower. But I have sat on a chair in the shower twice now and washed everything not in the girdle including my hair. Alone. I still have lots of pain, but I’ve chosen to stick to Tylenol during the day. I did go out to lunch yesterday.

So all good, right? Doesn’t feel so much. I’m sore and tired and out of it still. I expected to be a bit better by now. The time has flown by.

Anyway. That is my eighth day out. Better but still slow going.

Much love to all,

Annoe

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018
    Options

Great to hear from you, Annie. We're all wishing you a swift recovery. Are you able to care for yourself (dress, make coffee or a plate of food, raise your arms shoulder height)? I ask because I live alone and I'm trying to figure out how long i need someone to stay with me fulltime and/or overnight. Can you get out of bed alone? Thanks, Annie.

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi toughcookie...you can still be in our group if you likeI am sure we would all like to make you welcome. Annie was a late Dec surgery but she is part of our sisterhood. I will add your date anyway in case a Feb group doesn’t form. Jude

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018
    Options

MoniThor, glad to hear all went well. My recommendation to all who have already had surgery is to take it easy! I definitely overdid it after the SNB 3 weeks ago and it’s hindered my recovery. I am going to be taking my own advice next week.

Annie, I bet it was awesome to get out for lunch so soon. I know I will be going stir crazy alone at home.

Welcome to all our new friends Hug

• AnnieTater
    AnnieTater Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Philaflash,

I did need my husband to help me in and out of bed for two nights. I probably would have been okay in a recliner. Certainly at this point I am very independent.

You should get some instant coffee and be prepared to eat on paper plates. My parents, husband, and two kids have been here most of the time. Honestly I usuallywish I was alone in a flat with a recliner and a TV.

Annie

• Valntine75
    Valntine75 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello all! January 4 Lumpectomy and ax node removal. Not sure how many nodes removed total. Doing well. Good luck all

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Valntine, just added you to the list....Jud

• BoobOlympics
    BoobOlympics Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi fellow Januaries,

Hope those of you who are done are recovering as comfortably as you can. I'm having a unilateral mastectomy (right) without reconstruction and SNB on Tuesday, Jan 9th. I've been waiting four months for this surgery and just want to get it over with and be healthy and athletic again. Wish you all well!

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Houmom and Nifer, our thoughts with you for tomorrow and hope to hear from you when you feel ready.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

DEC 29

AnnieTater

JAN 2

over70

Talley76

JAN 3

D1974

1-Greenmom

JAN 4

Valntine

JAN 5

Hopfull2

MoniThor

brenbren1113

JAN 8

houmom

nifer

JAN 9

Debcesq

Boobolympics

JAN10

shadie

blessedmomma

Rockcity

LoveCanada

JAN 11

Kyates

JAN 12

arkansasgal

JAN 16

rdeesides

Dskvarla

Judeshome

JAN 17

Sfrankie

JAN 23

Philaflash

JAN 24

Marlena17

Zoisite

JAN 25

RedJo40

JAN30

Spazcat

HollyDolly

FEB 1

Toughcookie

• Judeshome
      edited January 2018
      Options

OMG I accidentally deleted the list...told you I was technically challenged...so sorry and feel like such an idiot. Fortunately I saved the list. Does anyone know if it can be put back on the first page?? Jud

• Judeshome
      edited January 2018
      Options

The moderators have added a note to the thread title...so sorry everyone. Jude

• ibis
      ibis Member Posts: 56
      edited January 2018
      Options

Jude... Appreciate the work you've done on this list and your poststhat make us feel like January sisters. Best to everyone thisweek.

• houmom
      houmom Member Posts: 102
      edited January 2018
      Options

Eek, the nerves are really setting in today, I will not be getting any sleep tonight, especially since I have to be at the hospital at 6am. Nifer, hope you are doing well. Good luck to everyone else this week.

• LoveCanada
      LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
      edited January 2018
      Options

houmom Good luck!! I’ll be thinking of you! My surgery is Wednesday and I’m starting to get super nervous so I can only imagine what you’re feeling.

• Kyates
      Kyates Member Posts: 16
      edited January 2018
      Options

My thoughts and prayers are with each of you that are having surgery this week. I'm praying for you all. My surgery is Thursday. I broke down crying during family lunch today. We all will get through this. This forum has brought us comfort and hope. Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories.

• Nifer
      Nifer Member Posts: 15
      edited January 2018
      Options

Thanks everyone I appreciate it! Houmom, I am not getting much sleep either. Good luck tomorrow!! Thoughts and prayers for everyone having surgery this week. I will check in when I can.

• MoniThor
      MoniThor Member Posts: 44
      edited January 2018
      Options

houmom and nifer-thoughts and prayers to you as you head for surgery tomorrow. I will be thinking about you and sending positive energy your way.

48 hours after my lumpectomy and SNB I was able to remove surgical bandages today and shower. Felt good. Took a Motrin and went for a walk in the neighborhood. I’m still extremely anxious about my post-op appointment with BS scheduled for Wednesday, as well as my first appointment with MO to get my pathology report and discuss next steps. (Also on the 10th) But I am thankful this surgery is behind me and I’m feeling very little pain

• blessedmomma
      blessedmomma Member Posts: 11
      edited January 2018
      Options

Hi all,

Praying, houmom and nifer, that your surgeries go well today, for good pain control post operatively and a smooth recovery. Looking forward to hearing your updates as you're able.

Boob Olympics, Debcesq, Love Canada, Shadie, RockCity, Kyates, and ArkansasGal, praying these same things for your surgeries (and mine) this week, and that each of us is able to productively move through our list of things to do before we go in, and get some okay rest before the big day. BoobOlympics, welcome and it sounds as if you've selected the procedure that will have you healthy and athletic in the shortest window---you've got a great attitude. Kyates, your coping strategies sound spot on, but even the best coping strategies won't take away the powerful emotions that come with something like this. I'm hoping the added vulnerability I and my family feel will work to pull us even closer together, and I hope the same is true for you and your family. By the way, we have dear friends in Memphis and I love your city. LoveCanada, praying for your completely understandable nerves to be calmed as you get closer to Wednesday. RockCity, praying for speedy delivery of your results prior to Wednesday, and that they indicate you can stick with the current plan.

MoniThor, as I head into surgery Wednesday, you and your appointments that day will be in my mind, heart and prayers. I'm grateful to know your recovery is coming along well. Valentin and Annie, thanks for encouraging all of us with news of your recoveries. Prayers that all of you continue to get better, day by day. Talley, praying for you as you await your doctor's update and anxious to hear what you learn.

Marlena, your post really touched my heart. How scary it would be to go through this as a single mom to boys. Praying for your peace and comfort, for your boys to be well cared for, and that you'd be able to return to work faster than expected. I'm grateful that you have a friend who's been through this and even had the same dr. as you.

Judes, thanks for your continued, encouraging and uplifting posts to all of us. I'm grateful for your time and the warm atmosphere you're creating on this board.

• Kyates
      edited January 2018
      Options

Thanks Blessedmomma for your uplifting, sweet and encouraging spirit. Im praying for nifer and houmom trusting that all goes well and praying for speedy recoveries for both. Praying for everyone on the January list as well.

• Debcesq
      Debcesq Member Posts: 3
      edited January 2018
      Options

Praying for every woman having surgery in January. I feel really sad. I just want to get the surgery over with. I hope my diagnosis is not changed after the surgery. I chose double mastectomy because I do not want radiation and years of drugs. I leave it to God.

• Judeshome
      edited January 2018
      Options
      Dear January Sisters, How heart warming to see the support we give each other in the face of fear and the unknown. How brave you all are, I am proud to be part of this group of warriors. Our paths would likely never have crossed except for us all experiencing these life changing circumstances. All of us are acutely aware of time passing as the date of our surgeries approaches, I know that at this point I am experiencing waves of sadness and difficulty sleeping, I think of you all when that happens and it gives me courage knowing we are all experiencing the same emotions and I realize the inner strength and resilience that women have. Thank you for taking the time to read and post...your stories are important for all of those who come after. Jude x
    • Judeshome
      edited January 2018
      Options

Debcesq....I am the same as you....don’t want radiation or drugs. Every mammogram in the past has resulted in callbacks, just don’t want the stress anymore.

• Kyates
      edited January 2018
      Options

Thinking of you Debcesq and Judeshome -and boobolympics thinking of you all today. Thank you for sharing your hearts and experiences with us. Im praying for you all.

• Shadie
      Shadie Member Posts: 31
      edited January 2018
      Options

Thanks, blessedmomma for your kind words!

FYI, based on what I learned on these Boards, I am doing a couple of things on Wed that I hope will decrease the potential for pain (and were ok'd by my breast surgeon):

1) I will be taking an 8-hour Tylenol before going under

2) I talked about getting a nerve blocker before getting knocked out

3) My BS has someone on staff who does a session with each person before surgery, based on Peggy Huddleston's work. (You can download it at your favorite e-book store--it is a quick read.) So she created an individualized 20-minute meditation, based on my responses to her questions. We will see if this works...I am normally a pretty high strung person. Was pretty calm about it all until Friday, and now am nervous. At the very least, I will bring an mp3 player with the meditation and music, and hope to keep it on throughout the whole procedure.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

• Judeshome
      edited January 2018
      Options
      Dear Blessedmomma, thank you for your beautiful, heartfelt post . Shadie, Peggy Huddleston’s book and CDs were given to me by a friend and II have found them so helpful and calming. I am also doing exercises in prep for getting in and out of the recliner unaided. Bought about a gallon of prune juice today !! also straws, gauze and surgical tape, colace and throat lozenges. I have my clothing sorted out, leggings and elastic waisted pants, also appropriated a couple of my DH’s shirts. Lots of pillows,crockpot soups in the freezer and at the weekend am planning to clean the house. I am normally very active, it will be hard to do nothing for a while. Not looking forward to drains one bit! It sounds like the more active you are, the more drainage there is. Would love to know from those who had surgery earlier how that is going. Jude x
    • Jadalulu
      Jadalulu Member Posts: 32
      edited January 2018
      Options

I had a BMX on January 4th with Sentinal node dissection. Nodes are clear, no cancer found now waiting on final pathology report. I have tissue expanders as well. Doing pretty well so far, stayed almost 24 hours after surgery but I am glad to be home! I have fantastic doctors, can't say enough about them.

• D_1974
      D_1974 Member Posts: 3
      edited January 2018
      Options

Hi, I came home yesterday from my surgery. I am feeling better than I expected. My stomach is causing me the most pain along with the drains. I’m still taking pain meds and Tylenol about every four to six hours. The visiting nurse was in today and wants me up and moving every hour. Each walk to the kitchen and bathroom get a little easier each time. My first postoperative appointment is Thursday. I’ll keep you posted.

• HollyDollyD
      HollyDollyD Member Posts: 26
      edited January 2018
      Options

I got my surgery date today 1/25.

Unilateral mastectomy with reconstruction.

Not terrified (yet), but I'm sure I'll be nervous as the day approaches.

Holly

• Judeshome
      edited January 2018
      Options

D1974, thanks for posting...I remember you were worried about the length of the surgery, glad to hear you are recovering. Jude