Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Options

Comments

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi jadalulu, would you like to be added to our January group? We are sharing info about our hopes, fears and recoveries. Jud

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi HollyDollyD, would you like to be added to the list? This is a haven of support ....Jud

• Jadalulu
    Jadalulu Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2018
    Options

yes please add m

• blessedmomma
    blessedmomma Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi all,

D1974, grateful to know you're home and feeling better than expected. Jadalulu, welcome to you and thanks for sharing the encouraging news of your recovering progressing well.

Praying, houmom and nifer, that your long day is finished and you are able to rest some tonight, with good pain management.

Debcesq and Boobolympics, praying that you'll also find sleep tonight before your procedures tomorrow. Deb, I was feeling pretty sad this weekend, too. It's just hard to say goodbye to a piece of myself that's been part of me for so long and nurtured each of my children. Somehow I was able to shift and recognize, for myself, I know this won't be true for everyone, that it would be really sad if my breast was perfect and I was doing this. And if I allow the cells in my breast to remain (in my mind) a passive thing, then it still feels sad, but if I can mobilize myself into feeling attacked by these cells that my breast is harboring, then I do a lot better at channeling that inner warrior and declaring, "You are outta here!" I don't know if this is at all helpful to you, but I hope that my compassion for your sadness and my prayers for your comfort are helpful. Boobolympics, I know you are going to rock tomorrow! Looking forward to hearing from both of you, along with houmom and nifer, as you are able.

Praying, my Wednesday friends, Shadie, Rockcity and LoveCanada, that our final pre-op day tomorrow will be a productive time and cross lots of things off the to-do list and that we'll each have a moment with those we love, near or far, to share from our hearts and hear from their hearts. We're gonna make it through this and come out the other side healthy!

Kyates and Arkansas gal, I don't know that I'll get to check in right before your surgeries, but I'm bringing a list of our dates with me so I can keep remembering and praying for everyone, even while my computer stays safe at home. Thanks for your kind words, Kyates, and your prayers.

Welcome, Holly Dolly. I'm glad you don't feel terrified yet and I hope you don't find yourself in that spot. I think just about all of us face nerves and fears, some have situations that make this much harder and it can get pretty terrifying, but that isn't universally true. While I have my nervous moments, I'm mostly feeling at peace with having made the best decisions of the stinky options that were mine to choose. Focusing on my health, rather than on my appearance or the temporary pain I will experience helps mitigate my nerves, and the love, support and prayers from others, plus my own faith, are the real anchors for me, personally.

Thanks very much, Shadie, for sharing your pre-op tips with all of us! Judes, thanks also for seconding Shadie's recommendation of Peggy Huddleston's work. I'll have to check it out. Thanks also for your kind words, Judes and your continued encouragement of each of us. I must confess that I llurked around this site for awhile, long enough to get a sense that there are some months that really seem to have women that form a true sisterhood and cohesive bond, and other months that seem less connected. I'm so thankful to be in this group. I wasn't sure if I wanted to share, but I am very grateful for everyone's support and standing together as we go through this.

Love to you all....

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Posting the list again so we don't have to go back to find it..

DEC 29

AnnieTater

JAN 2

over70

Talley76

JAN 3

D1974

1-Greenmom

JAN 4

Valntine

JAN 5

Hopfull2

MoniThor

brenbren1113

JAN 8

houmom

nifer

JAN 9

Debcesq

Boobolympics

JAN10

shadie

blessedmomma

Rockcity

LoveCanada

JAN 11

Kyates

JAN 12

arkansasgal

JAN 16

rdeesides

Dskvarla

Judeshome

JAN 17

Sfrankie

JAN 23

Philaflash

JAN 24

Marlena17

Zoisite

JAN 25

RedJo40

HollyDollyD

JAN 26

Quiltingnu

JAN30

Spazcat

FEB 1

Toughcookie

• HollyDollyD
    HollyDollyD Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2018
    Options

Yes please!

Jan 25.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018
    Options

Just checking in from my recovery room, I got out of the bed and into a chair this morning, and just went for a walk around the ward. No major pain other than the hip to hip incision which is just going to hurt for a while, unfortunately. The BS did a pain block on the breasts so no pain there either. There were some complications with the vessels during the DIEP part of the surgery but everything worked out in the end. Glad to have this part over with!

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018
    Options

houmom - can't believe you're checking in from recovery! Be well and hope you can sleep tonight. Best to all who had surgery today.

• Kyates
    Kyates Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2018
    Options

houmom I am so thankful that you are doing so well! It sure gives me hope and comfort. Thinking of Blessedmomma, Shadie, Rockcity, and LoveCanada. I will be thinking of you all tomorrow. Welcome to our new January sisters. I add my thanks to judeshome for creating this group.

I have went over the shopping list and feel like I'm finished shopping. The lists on here have been a Godsend. I plan on doing household chores tomorrow.

Praying for everyone!

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2018
    Options

It’s been a busy few days getting everything ready for surgery but it’s been so nice to see everyone who is doing well so far and I so appreciate all the encouraging words! Good luck to everyone else having surgery tomorrow and the rest of the week

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options
    hi everyone, so glad to hear from you houmom, you sound in good spirits, sure appreciate you checking in from recovery....amazing!! Wondering how Nifer is doing....Debcesq and boobolympics we will be thinking of you tomorrow, I don’t imagine any of us sleep much the night before. Anyone else who has already had surgery...we would love to hear how you are doing.... I picked up my compression bra today from Celia’s shop in Eugene, a lovely lady and a BC survivor. Getting all my stuff together, straws, disinfecting wipes for stripping the drains, shirts, pillows etc. and my DH got a great deal on a recliner for me. Feel as if I’m going on an expedition! Oh and a bottle of Cabernet which I am using for medicinal purposes only and stress relief! Love and healing to you all.
    Jude x
  • rockcity
    rockcity Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi all,

Getting a bit nervous for surgery tomorrow. It’s making this all too real. I did all my grocery shopping, bill paying and housecleaning so tonight all I need to do is wait.

I did get a bit of good news though. All of the breast cancer genetics tests came back negative. I was so happy to tell my daughters that they did not inherit the BRCA gene mutation from me. I know they were nervous.

Ladies, you are all such a wonderful source of support as we try to navigate through this tough time together. I appreciate your kind and encouraging words. It really helps.

I wish all of you who had surgery a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

MoniThor- good luck with pathology and treatment plan tomorrow. I’m one week behind ya.

Shadow, blessesmomma, LoveCanada- we will all get through this together tomorrow.

Kyates and Arkansas gal- warm thoughts for your surgeries later this week

• HollyDollyD
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hey houmom....good for you! Wishing you all the best for your recovery. Are you in Houston?

Holly

• ibis
    ibis Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018
    Options

One week post op and feeling very good after getting drains out today. Recovering much quicker than from my left MX a year ago. One tip if taking narcotics—2 fibercon (or generic) morning and evening definitely helped. Praying for all.

• Nifer
    Nifer Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2018
    Options

HI ladies. Just checking in. I'm home and doing well. The pain is manageable with meds. The expanders are the worst part. Getting up for the first time was painful but it got easier after that. I would definitely recommend a recliner I had a difficult time getting comfortable at home with out it. Thank you so much for all the thoughts and prayers

Shadie, blessedmomma, rockcity, and lovecanada, good luck tomorrow. Prayers for a quick recovery!

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018
    Options

HollyDollyD yes I’m I’m Houston. Just hanging out in ICU for one more night and will hopefully get a different room on the surgical ward tomorrow. I walked a little this afternoon, the worst part was the pain in my back from hunching over. And my butt is numb from sitting allmday

• Sfrankie
    Sfrankie Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2018
    Options

Waiting, waiting, waiting. This is driving me crazy

• Kyates
    edited January 2018
    Options

I'm up next. I have to be at BS office at 6:30 for wire placement and dye injection. The surgery center called and moved my arrival time from 7:30 to 8:45. I still plan to go as soon as I leave my doctors office. Hopefully they can take me earlier than expected. Praying for all of you that had your procecures earlier in the week. Arkansasgal good luck on Friday.

I will check in as soon as possible.

Psalm: 91

• rockcity
    rockcity Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2018
    Options

Kyates -good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Will be thinking of you...I just my lumpectomy/nodes and port today. So far controlling paid with Motrin 600. Its a good feeling to finally be doing something to treat this. took a great long nap when I got home. Hopefully they will take you on time not make you wait.

Arkansasgal. Wish you a good surgery Friday.

• Kyates
    edited January 2018
    Options

• So thankful that you are recovering well, Rockcity! It helps to know that others have come through and recovering!
  • Debcesq
    Debcesq Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2018
    Options

Just wanted to let everyone know that my January 9th surgery went well. There was no cancer found in the lymph nodes and my surgeon felt pretty confident that my diagnosis would not be upgraded after pathology. I have the on-q pain system so I have had no pain. Can't sleep well but I know that everything will be fine. My prayers to all. May God bless each and every one of you. Debbie

• Shadie
    Shadie Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2018
    Options

First report out of 1/10 group here!

Surgery went well yesterday, and they were able to do above the muscle for my expanders after all--which means I have had excellent use of hand/arms! They were even able to give me 2 drains instead of 4. Woo hoo! All the docs and nurses who have looked at my chest have remarked how well I seem to be healing. I have had relatively little pain (I would call it discomfort, but even that not bad.) and have not needed to prime the hand pain pump as often as I had expected. I did wind up taking a nerve blocker and an 8-hour Tylenol presurgery, so this my pain situation might change.

I have felt nausea the 2X I got out of bed to pee--not sure if it is the narcotics or the anaesthesia. They should switch me over to pill pain relief today, and taking it with food should make it better.

I looked at my chest, and ladies, it ain't pretty. Uneven lumps abound, and there is some discoloration. Not sure what I was expecting...

The one hiccup? Right before surgery, they told me that due to a "miscommunication" they had not ordered an Air Xpander TE, which was one of the reasons I felt ok going forward with the PBMX. I threw a fit, and nearly cancelled!!! (No joke.) I had been (relatively) calm and this really threw me off my game. Fortunately, they were able to locate a local company sales rep, who had my size--so we went ahead, but about 2+ hours later than anticipated.

Next hurdle: walking down the hallway (w/o barfing) after my first solid food. :) And a clean path report at my first follow up appointment with B.S. on Tues...

Thanks for your support--I hope everyone else has a good report!

• arkansasgal
    arkansasgal Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks Rockcity and Kyates for your well wishes on my surgery tomorrow. Kyates - good luck with your surgery today. Will be thinking of you. It is so comforting to read reports of good outcomes and recovery on the way. Debcesq - sounds like you had a great outcome on your Jan 9 surgery, and Shadie as well. Over70 and Nifer and Houmom - so good to see you having a good recovery.

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018
    Options

Good luck to everyone next up! For those of you who've had your surgery, I live in a second floor condo. Based on your recovery, how long would you say before you could walk up and down stairs a few times a day? The thought of being housebound for an extended period of time is not appealing. I will have a BMX with TEs. Thanks! Sharon

• Quiltingnut
    Quiltingnut Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018
    Options

You can add me to the January surgery list. Mine is scheduled for the 26th unless they have a cancellation and they call for me to come on the 25th. After seeing the surgeon this past Tuesday I’ve been very depressed. I guess with actually scheduling it and all it finally hit me that this is really happening to me. I am having a BMX with no reconstruction. I’m 63 and just don’t feel like going through anything else. I wish all of you the best and fast healing.

• HollyDollyD
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hey Quitting Nut,

I guess we'll be surgery sisters - mine's on the 25th. If it's any consolation, my Mom had HR+ Grade 3 cancer Stage 3 10 years ago and she is here to tell the tale. Have you heard of Knitted Knockers? They will get you a free set of prostheses....

https://www.knittedknockers.org/

Hugs for you and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,

Holly

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

welcome Quiltingnut...I am the same as you, a bit older at 66 BMX no recon. The reality is hard to deal with, feel free to vent...we are all trying to help each other. Jude

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Holly, sorry I put you in on the wrong date...just changed it.Jude.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Me too sfrankie, I am the day before you, just want this surgery over, keep telling myself ....this time next week I will be healing...Jude..

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Options

Did I miss anyone??....updating the list is a little difficult at the moment as I am at the coast and the tremendous storm we had last night knocked out the internet knockedthe internet out several times. Also, for reasons unknown, when I edit the list, I keep losing the last letter in names!!

Arkansasgirl...good luck with your surgery tomorrow, hope to hear how you are when you Re ready. Jude x