Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 - February Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Teaberry11
    Teaberry11 Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2018
    Options

Jt3. My understanding is insurance covers reconstruction .. no matter what kind. I decided on DEIP because I wanted a more natural feel and a bilateral for better symmetry .. it is a much More involved surgery(8 hours!) and recovery(6-8 weeks) but there is the tummy tuck to look forward to ;). The PS told me because of my preOp Saggyness the end result will look like I had a lift. I too was a DD and will probably end up as a full B which is about what I have with the TEs now .. it's great how much better clothes fit and look!

You can do the DEIP for a unilateral as well. They will of course even out your tummy and make your remaining breast match up as best they can. Only issue is if down the road you need to have the other removed you can't do DEIP again but there are other free flap options out there.

32B My surgery is June 4th. Not too far and not too soon! I should have plenty of time to prepare!

Today I went for an evaluation at the PT just to check my arm because of all the lymph nodes I had removed I'm at a high risk for lymphedema. I had good news my arm measurements were slightly lower than preOp so NO swelling!! I also was measured for a compression sleeve to wear when flying or during exercise - it's only preventative which I am happy to be doing all I can!

Nearly 8 weeks post op and feeling pretty much back to normal .. energy is back up and all .. I even baked a cake tonight! But the work thing is ho hum.. I don't get excited or even really care much .. just getting done what I need and putting it out of my mind! It's not what matters in life anymore. And I'm okay with that!

• muge
    muge Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    Options

my first fill will be on Monday on 9th of April and I can't imagine that IRON BRA feeling will be worse than today for 3 weeks!!

Is there any solution for this terrible feeling of iron bra? I really hope I can get some promising replies...It has been 4 weeks now from my surgery and I feel really hopeless. My PS says the surgery was ok so pains or tightness are not important, they will go away one day!!!!

1,5 years ago I had a full mastectomy on my left breast and I had bilateral breast implants a month ago....

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2018
    Options

Glad to read that most February surgery sisters are doing well and healing up. Having only had a lumpectomy, I've moved on to radiation. I'd guess the mastectomy ladies are blessedly not subject to that and treatment is over. I'm on day 9 of 20 on Monday.

Looking forward to moving on past this diagnosis and warmer weather too! Sending warm thoughts to all!

• Irishgirl72
    Irishgirl72 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    Options

You sound very positive with your action all planned out; good inspiration for readers like me..I have just finished with a radical mastectomy (stage 3 ER positive IBC) and had 10 lymph nodes removed. I am experiencing a lot of pain, numbness, aching in my arm on affected side..going to phyisco..trying to get my arm up over my head so I can finish my first line of treatment with 25 radiation treatments but I get so discouraged with the pain It's hard to stay positive. I sure hope this support group will help me gain courage and strength to go forward. Tks for Support and Sharing!

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited April 2018
    Options

Irishgirl72, I had a lot of pain from cording after my BMX and 14 nodes removed, PT helped so much. I had to do it so I could get my arm in position for rads. It gets better, keep going to PT and do it at home as well. I needed it after rads as well, I ended up with frozen shoulder and wish I would have been a little more diligent about keeping up my therapy at home. The pain does get better though:)

• Fembot
    Fembot Member Posts: 59
    edited April 2018
    Options

Its my 1st post in a while. I became depressed and just couldn't. My unilateral mas was Feb 2, and Mar 16 my implant flipped along the vertical axis. It's called 'malposition'. PS will reposition it during the prophylactic mas surgery on my natural breast. Today I presented with signs of infection: painful, red, hot boob and 100.3* F temp. Seeing PS tomorrow morning.

• 2002chickadee
    2002chickadee Member Posts: 79
    edited April 2018
    Options

Fembot, I'm so sorry you are having issues with infection and your implant, and I hope your PS visit leaves you with hope for a path through this latest challenge. I have certainly had bouts of depression at how long everything seems to take to improve, and echo what others have said above about how surprisingly painful everything still can be. I am in physical therapy 2x/week (have been going for 5 weeks) and my arm range of motion is much, much improved. I have a shelf in my kitchen with olive oil, etc. on it that I can only reach with my right (surgery) arm, and couldn't reach it for the longest time. Now I can!

In PT I was told that some women experience "feelings of tightness" in their chest for up to 5 years post-mastectomy!! That made me pretty demoralized. "Tightness" seems like a overly gentle word to explain how this all feels. (I like IRON BRA, how about IRON ARMPIT too.) There is a lot that the doctors don't tell you about, probably because everyone's road seems a little different and maybe because they don't want to plant any thoughts? Armpit pain, shoulder pain, nerve weirdness, mood weirdness from the medication to fix the nerve weirdness, rocks in my stomach from the DIEP reconstruction, losing muscle strength, can hardly lift my 2 year old anymore (and this is just the surgery phase of this treatment s***!) ... it's a lot even when we are "healed" from surgery.

Sometimes I try to give myself permission to just be miserable and sad about it all, and those days just try to go to bed early. Other times I am able to focus on the point of it all -- getting cancer out of my body so I can live -- and feel immense gratitude for all these challenges as they are ultimately giving me the gift of being here with the people and life I love. And lots of days are just making it through, one foot in front of the other.

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited April 2018
    Options

Praying for you Fembot! I am back to work and will post soon.

• kaywrite
    kaywrite Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2018
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that, Fembot. <big cyber hug> Hang in there.

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2018
    Options

Teaberry, I hear you about work. Since coming back I'm just not quite as mentally engaged as I was before. I'm still gauging how much of a problem that is or whether my coworkers have noticed.

I'm feeling the iron bra/armpit thing for sure. I also have a weird itchiness/discomfort where the edge of the TE seems to be digging into my ribcage or something.

Fembot, we've missed you! So good to hear from you. I'm sorry it's with bad news. I'll be thinking of you.

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2018
    Options

Fembot, I totally hear you. The sadness comes and goes in waves. Be gentle with yourself and hang in there. Best of luck with the PS.

• Fembot
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thank you all for your kind words. Made me tear up a bit. I've been shut in since last summer because of severe chronic fatigue and I miss my life. Now with surgery and complications - Antidepressants are just not enough in this situation. Sorry to be a drag!

PS confirmed that I've an infection internally (how?) so I go to the hospital every morning for IV anti-biotic therapy. It only takes about 20 mins so it's not bad. I nap.

Means a lot that you hear me, thanks for that. : )

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2018
    Options

Wanted to check in since it’s been awhile. Things are coming along - still hate the TEs and have to work on my ROM but slowly and surely it’s getting Better —and I found out today I’ll be starting rads soon so that will be one more thing .

Fembot - I’m so sorry and totally get this roller coaster you’re on. I’ll be thinking positive thoughts for the IV antibiotic to kick that infection. We are here for you.

Wishing all of you well and continued healing

• kaywrite
    edited April 2018
    Options

oh Fembot - what an ordeal. I feel for you sister, really. You are NOT a drag. I hope we all, always, keep it real in here. We are here to hear you, IMO, and you have provided so much help. Love and hugs

• kaywrite
    edited April 2018
    Options

Any February surgery ladies going on to POST MENOPAUSAL hormone therapy - is there a group for this? I'd love to hear what ladies with some hormone blocker experience have to say. (I also sent a private message to Beesie, who seems to know so much about what is posted where.

This thread has slowed down, as is bound to happen. Wishing you all happiness and joy

• 32B
    edited April 2018
    Options

Haven't checked in for awhile. Fembot, you doing ok?

Kaywrite, I'm premenopausal, so I've got a different medical treatment in my future, but also hormone suppressing, so maybe not so different?

Had a mildly alarming experience the other day where I was in the shower washing my new boob (and maybe poking at it more than I should have, but how can you not? It feels so weird!) And I don't quite know how to explain this but it kind of puckered in or inverted or something. I think I messed up the shape a little bit. It looks a bit different than before. Seeing PS on Thursday to schedule swap surgery so I'll see what he says. Probably not a big deal, but man, just when I think I'm done with this/used to it, there's always something stranger.

Wishing all you ladies the best.

• Strengthandjoy
    Strengthandjoy Member Posts: 51
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi Girls!

It is nice to hear from those of you that have checked in. I’m always thinking about all of you and appreciate the updates.

I’m seeing my PS again tomorrow. I’m hopeful we will begin the discussion for implant surgery. I’m torn on when a “good” time is. Are most of you going as fast as possible? Or are some of you taking a pause before scheduling? I know we are all on different journeys with different time lines... but just curious if any PS has made you feel rushed.

I have a DR friend that said go as quickly as you can and don’t postpone.... infection is higher risk with TE. I really wasn’t worried about an infection anymore... yikes! However, my PS hasn’t made me feel rushed at all. Just curious about your thoughts and experiences.

• Nursepatient35
    Nursepatient35 Member Posts: 106
    edited April 2018
    Options

Strengthandjoy, I tried to get through the fills and schedule implant exchange surgery as soon as I can. My surgery will be next Wednesday the 25th. The fills hurt and I probably did too much but I wasn't going that big and ended up only needing 4 fills total. It was tougher to find a good time to schedule this surgery though being back at work. My PS told me I'd only need a week off so I'm really hoping my recovery goes well. Even though everyone has been supportive at work and home, I still have the guilt of everyone else needing to pick up my slack. I hate how these TE's don't move and how they hurt more at night but I also like how I'm fully recovered from surgery at this point. I'm dreading having drains again and having to be careful how I move, etc. But...I also know they can't stay in there forever and I'm terrified of getting an infection. Definitely don't feel rushed in your decision, but I agree with your Dr friend. Just get it over with so we can all put this behind us.

• kaywrite
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hello February surgery ladies: well, I don't have any reconstruction tales to tell, but I can say that my left nipple and lumpectomy scar look like expired fried bologna after 20 radiation treatments. The last one is tomorrow, so yeah!!!!!!

32B - yikes!!! Hope everything is back in place - that would freak me out, too. Re: the hormone therapy, I think Veeder is going to start a new thread for us in Hormone Therapy section. You can see what we've been talking about in the March Radiation group here: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/70/topics...

I just posted a study on tamoxifen v anastrozole, and a few other things, for us all to look at before we start the group. So many of us have the same questions and like the idea of going through it together.

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2018
    Options

I love our little group!! I’m sure other groups feel the same way about their people, but you ladies are truly the best. While it’s a huge blessing we have this place to come to it would sure be nice to open a bottle of wine with y’all in person!

I didn’t do fills but would think getting done with them is ideal. I hope you notice a difference with the permanent implants. Mine don’t seem to bother me and already feel very normal. I hope that recoveries are short

• Fembot
    edited April 2018
    Options

I finished IV antibiotics therapy! I'm so happy to get that thing out of my arm after 6 days. PS doesn't know what caused the foob redness, heat, swelling and low fever and though bloodwork was negative for infection, I did respond to antibiotics. (?!) There's something called "Red Breast", a delayed inflammatory response to the Alloderm Tissue Matrix that some get at 7-9 wks post surgery - it may have been that. It was put in to support the implant, and integrates with my own tissue over time.

As side effects to antibiotics I had diarrhea 4 days and a yeast infection. I've been eating large amounts of yogurt and pro-biotic supplements and drinking cranberry juice.

I've been able to do a tiny bit of walking - huge progress for me amidst chronic fatigue (c/w debilitating muscle weakness) and that makes me very happy. I'm seeing my BS May 1 to talk about scheduling a contralateral profyllactic mastectomy.

The very best to all of you!!! 😘

• Jt3
    edited April 2018
    Options

Glad you are better Fembot and did not know about that condition at all. I got a fill Thursday and adjusting to that. I am glad I purchased a bigger bra on Tuesday because its the only one that fits now. I hope everyone is on the up and up.

• Jt3
    edited April 2018
    Options

NP35 I am praying your surgery on the 25th is perfect

• Nursepatient35
    edited April 2018
    Options

Jt3, thank you so much. I'm excited to get it done.

Fembot, glad to hear things are getting better for you. I hope all your complications are over with.

It's good to hear how everyone is doing. It's nice to have this bond, even through internet, with people who can relate.

• Jt3
    edited April 2018
    Options

kaywrite- glad the radiation is done. I hope you are healing quickly

• 32B
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi ladies,

Hadn't checked in here in awhile. It's nice to hear from you all.

Strengthandjoy, my PS is making me wait until July to get my permanent implants. I'd rather get it overwith sooner. So strange how every doctor is different.

Nursepatient, yours is so soon! I'll be thinking of you. Please let us know how you're feeling afterwards. Drains again? I didn't realize that was part of it. Ugh.

Kaywrite, congrats on being done with rads. What a great milestone! I hope your skin heals quickly. Thanks for the hormone therapy link. I'll check it out.

MountainMamma, I think our group IS the best. ;) I don't know what I would have done without you guys.

Fembot, that sounds scary. I'm glad you're recovering. Props to you for doing this all again on the other side. I hope it goes more smoothly this time.

Jt3, how many more fills do you have? Do you like the new size?

Have any of you MX girls been on a plane since the surgery? PS says I don't need a compression sleeve but I'm thinking of picking one up just in case. They seem to be pretty inexpensive at the drug store. He DID say I need a note about the magnet in case I set off the metal detector though. Sheesh.

• Teaberry11
    Teaberry11 Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2018
    Options

I'll be flying this week — I was measured for a compression sleeve and will be picking it up tomorrow . The PT wants to show me how to put it on. I had pretty much all of my Axillary nodes removed so I'm at high risk for lymphedema - no signs of it but I'm taking all precautions. I also have a letter from my PS in case the TE's make the metal detectors go off. A friend of mine has flown with them and had no problems! She didn't even know the magnets in the TEs were a thing when going through security.

My next surgery is June 4th - have DIEP flap so for sure having drains and a longer recovery.

Good luck on Wednesday Nursepatient! It's good to see everyone is moving forward :)

• Jt3
    edited April 2018
    Options
    • Hi everyone, I am 9 weeks post-op and woke up on my belly this morning on the couch since it was so comfortable I fell I asleep there. I woke up dreading how getting up would feel and just a little pain but nothing major thank goodness. I got one TE fill last - 120 cc I think she said it was and it wasn't too bad but the poke on the left side. I had more anxiety than anything. I have only one bra I can wear right now since everything else fits different and causes pressure or pain. I have never worn an XL bra before. Also never been this full either. I am starting to feel a little more lady like each day. I am doing ROM excercises along with something to help my frozen shoulder. In May our local ABCD chapter is starting fitness classes for the current survivor group on T/Tx nights.
    • NP, thinking of your surgery today and please let us know how you are doing as you feel like it. Hopefully its way easier than the last one. There is an April exchange group I keep meaning to check out and see what its like..
    • Teaberry, good luck with the flight I was told keep the compression on 30 minutes after landing and 30 minutes on before the flight as well.From what I have read its not worth the pain to not use them. I have a card to carry that describes my device for my purse. Will keep you in thoughts and prayers for June 4th. Let us know how the flight goes. I have a possible flight next month to Milwaukee I just don't know if I will do it unless I have too right now. The thought of carrying luggage kind of scares me right now.I wrenched my shoulder on my last trip too.
    • 32B, I don't know how many fills to go. I have one scheduled on May 8th. That might be last one since I got so much start and PS is doing a lot. I am a good size now. Once I get in my cami maybe I can share a photo to give an idea. I am not a small girl or large girl just in the middle avg Jane..
    • Fembot, hope everything is good for you.
    • HopefulAC- Hope the ROM is back and rads goes easy. I sure hate that for everyone.
    • Paco - At first I thought about lumpectomy for sure because of downtime. I opted for bilateral because of all the feedback I received and the fact I have insurance this year and don't know what the future holds I wanted to try to do it and decrease the most chances of recurrence in the same or other breast. I also wasn't happy with my post baby breasts and have dense tissue that is difficult to see on a mammogram as well.
  • Nursepatient35
    edited April 2018
    Options

I just got home from my implant exchange surgery this morning. I have 2 drains again but I feel pretty darn good. They put in another pectoral block pre-op and also injected the exparel before closing me up so maybe that's why I feel so good, but so glad it's over. I guess we'll see how the next few days go but overall a million times better than the mastectomy.

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2018
    Options

congrats nursepatient!! I’m sure it’s hard to take it easy again but hope you can enjoy this break a little more :)